29 posts in this topic

If you are looking for private insurance check out www.ehealthinsurance.com Plug in all your details and it will give you a list of available insurance providers for your state. It isnt cheap finding your own insurance though. Good luck.

Thank you everyone for your kind and thoughtful comments.

CBR, thanks for the great advice.

If you find a free clinic in your neighbourhood, that should work for stuff like sore throats, monthly bcp, and whatnot. But you can also search for "catastrophic medical insurance" which is much lower monthly payments, (usually about $100 per month) but only covers you for emergency care like car accidents and toilet seats falling off the space station and hitting you on the head. ;) You REALLY don't want to be caught without insurance if that happens!

Reba, this is exactly what I'm looking for. Neither Nick or I take any medication and we aren't the sickly type. There is a free clinic near us so we will use that for regular check ups and stuff like that. What worries me is the emergency aspect...like a car accident or something to that effect.

I will look into that.

Thank you!

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
COBRA is indeed expensive. Try Golden Rule insurance. They have plans of varying lengths, si man.

NOOOOO! Golden Rule is one of the most notorious insurers around - known for their "hidden clauses" and lack of pay outs.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Another might be Blue Cross/ Blue Shield. If it's to high have you thought about upping the deductable.

10 years ago I had a type of cancer (testicular) spread to a lung and had all sorts of opps and chemo. When I got done I managed to get into BC/BS, even with my history, but it was steadily increasing from 300 - 400 per month with an $800 deductable. Finally this year (it's been 10 years so my history is -well-history) I contacted them to see what they could do and they said I should have notified them several years ago about clearing my pre - existing conditions and getting a cheaper rate (dumb me). The quote was roughly 150/60ish per month paid quarterly. I upped it to a 2500 dollar deductable and it is now roughly 116 per month paid quarterly. ( I'm 40 ) To save the 50/60 bucks a month I figgure I'd take a higher deductable so at least I'd be safe if anything major happens. Next step will be adding my wife.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Try Golden Rule insurance. They have plans of varying lengths, si man.
NOOOOO! Golden Rule is one of the most notorious insurers around - known for their "hidden clauses" and lack of pay outs.
They must have changed since I was with them briefly (admittedly, years ago), so this caution is good to know, si man.

Another idea is to research the City or County health clinics in your state & area. I took the wife to one of ours just the other day for two inoculations (MMR & tetanus) needed for AOS application. One of the first questions was "Is this for immigration purposes?" I truthfully said "Eventually, it will be part of it, but these are for health reasons. We're going to be working with metal and materials that could cause injury, and C. hasn't had a tetanus booster in 15 years. Also, we want to guard against congenital [whatever] syndrome in our potential future children. The MMR vaccine won't cause problems if she had a measles inoculation as an infant, will it?" C. got shot twice, si man, for only $10 per shooting, si man... and, the folks were good enough to take our word that C. had had pollo-pox (chickenpox) as a child (which she had), AND they noted it on her inoculation form, si man.

These clinics may be staffed by docs or by nurse practitioners (ours, by the latter). Avoid relying solely on website information -- call ahead for hours of operation and to learn whether one nearby location is far busier than another. Having been meaningfully tipped off by a switchboard operatrix, we got to our clinic 30 minutes before opening and were just in time to be first in line, si man. Some of these places take cash ONLY, so when you call ahead, remember to confirm the payment policy, and bring enough shillings, farthings, and ha'pence with you, si man. It's important to emphasize to them that you're uninsured, si man, because if they suspect that you're not, they'll tell you to see your own physician.

Once we left the clinic, the inoculations became outoculations, si man. :) Also, it's a lucky man who can have his wife shot twice for only $20, si man! :) :)

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
10 years ago I had a type of cancer (testicular) spread to a lung and had all sorts of opps and chemo. When I got done I managed to get into BC/BS, even with my history, but it was steadily increasing from 300 - 400 per month with an $800 deductable. Finally this year (it's been 10 years so my history is -well-history)
Sincerest congrats & respect on surviving your terrible experience, si man. You are fortunate, and obviously courageous. Today is the 3-year anniversary of my having lost my dad to unknown-primary cancer and 3 other mortal illnesses.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

Laura, check your auto insurance policy. Depending on the coverages you selected, this should cover you in the event of a car accident. Please check your card, look at your paperwork, and call the agent if unclear. If your main concern is a car accident, you would probably come out cheaper with changes to your auto insurance than buying health insurance.

When I was changing our insurance policies (State Farm) I remember our agent trying to sell us some sort of emergency medical that would cover non-car accident related visits to the ER. I just checked State Farm and unfortunately NJ is excluded (http://www.assuranthealthproducts.com/corp/sf/) but maybe other companies offer something similar.

Call your local hospitals and speak to someone in "financial services" or "billing" an ask about programs in which you can get assistance with your bill if you have no insurance. Hospitals typically have programs, you have to apply and they have different benefits. For example, one hospital I know of will pay for you on a per bill/visit basis. Another hospital will cover you for all medical expenses (visits, labs, meds disbursed at the hospital pharmacy) for free for a 6 month period.

Also, here is a link where Vjers can find clinics throughout the US. You can get free or pay what you can afford care:

http://findahealthcenter.hrsa.gov/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I went to a insurance broker and they provided me with a list of possibilities and the coverage and costs associated with each one. I ended up going with a high deductible ($1500) plan that costs $180/month (would have been less except I have asthma). Because of the deductible I have to pay for everything out of pocket up to $1500, but at least I know I'm covered if something major happens.

I miss Canadian health care... :(

October 5, 2007 - K-1 Application mailed to CSC

October 11, 2007 - NOA1

February 27, 2008 - NOA2

April 29, 2008 - Interview - approved!!

May 6, 2008 - Arrived in the US

May 23, 2008 - Married!

May 29, 2008 - AOS mailed

June 4, 2008 - NOA1!

June 25, 2008 - Biometrics

August 11, 2008 - AP Approved

August 14, 2008 - EAD Approved

October 28, 2008 - Interview - Approved!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm a male, 23, no pre-existing #######. I'm hoding onto hope that there will be job vacancies in this country by the time I get my EAD.

A good of friend of mine works is an insurance broker. She recommended Assurant health - short term. In Kansas, they charged 61 a month for me (i'm a little overweight), but I purchased 6 months worth of insurance at once, so it was 50 a month.

Sorry about your series of unfortunate events. I hope things get better.

-Evan

--------------------

K-1

03-25-2008 - Filed I-129f

03-28-2008 - NOA1

07-31-2008 - NOA2 (no touches)

09-30-2008 - Packet 3 sent

10-10-2008 - Packet 4 received

10-29-2008 - Interview in Vancouver

AOS

12-16-2008 - I - 485 Package arrived in Chicago (signed by V. Bustamonte)

12-19-2008 - Check Cashed

12-19-2008 - NOA1 Date

01-07-2008 - Biometrics Appointment

03-06-2009 - EAD Card Received

03-13-2009 - AP Received

04-27-2009 - Welcome Letter Received

05-02-2009 - GC Received

If you don't have any chronic problems, and just need insurance just in case you get in a car crash or have an emergency, look for high-deductible insurance. It usually won't cover doctor's visits or meds, and usually the deductible (the part you pay) is anywhere from $1500-$10000, but if you're the sort that never goes to the doctor and doesn't really need it, this might be a good interim solution. The plans tend to cost around $100 a month for healthy adults.

ehealthinsurance.com is what we used for C.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hiya, I spoke to my US hubby about this and he suggested 'googling' BLUE CROSS.

Hope you sort this out soon! I know health issues can be a bit of concern - I wasn't covered for over month, so I understand. Being here for almost 2 months, one realises how lucky we were in the UK, re dental and health provision.

:star:

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

First, never assume you will not get seriously sick. Based on that statement, you will NEED health insurance.

I do not have a group plan - I only work part-time - so I had to look for an Individual Health insurance and will have to do the same for my fiancee. If your american husband/wife has coverage, it usually is very easy to add the spouse on the insurance and often pre-existing conditions will not apply. It is ideal!

My message is about people who cannot get insurance that way, or cannot afford COBRA payments.

Do I know a lot about Health Insurance? Not too much, but I am guessing more than most people on this forum. Why? Because I have been through it. Been there, done that.

So if you are willing to listen to my advice, here it is: go to a reputable Health Insurance broker. As much as I despise them, I love them too. Despise, because you always have to remember whom they're getting their paycheck from. Yes, from the insurance companies! This means that they're not always working for you. I love them too, because their relationships with the Insurance companies can save you, meaning they actually can help you get insurance. It happened to me.

Also, another piece of advice, never underestimate any pre-existing conditions. Some you think are not important may prevent you form getting insurance.

Last, never lie on an application because it could be catastrophic for you and your entire family. The US are full of horror stories about patients being denied reimbursement in the middle of serious treatment.

That said, in my case, I applied to two companies and ended up being rejected outright by the first one. My pre-existing conditions are what I would consider minor, recurrent, but minor (not life-threatening), yet they used them as the reason for denial. You can always contest the decision, and your broker should help you. Now, because I immediately told my broker I would contest, which meant more work for her, so - and that's the part where they can help you - I know she talked to the adjustor for the second company (Anthem Blue Cross) and I was immediately accepted. With a 30% surcharge, but I was accepted.

Now you may be asking, what price? Well, the lower the deductible, the lesser chance you will be accepted, and the higher the premium. So I chose a very high-deductible plan ($3,500 HSA-compatible plan with $5,000 deductible for drugs) and the rate is $185 per month for my age bracket (50-54). It's cheaper the younger you are, and much cheaper than COBRA. If you are not usually sick, these high-deductible plans are a very good choice, especially when you can open an HSA account, which usually yield high(er) interests than regular savings accounts. You can switch to your employee-sponsored plan once you find a job.

Another advice: if your income is low - btw the insurance companies do not care - the hospital you go to can give you financial aid. If you don't ask, you don't get. My income is about 125% of 'poverty level' and was accepted for aid. Interestingly enough, the hospital covers what the insurance company will not reimburse. Because I HAVE insurance, the hospital took the risk on my deductible ($3,500 a year is peanuts for them!). If you go straight to them without insurance, they probably won't help you.

Last but not least, if you have serious pre-existing conditions and the insurance companies deny you systematically, there is a government sponsored plan that kicks in.

I can give more info to people who want it, please send me a message.

Our Timeline below - CA Service Center - Consulate: Rio de Janeiro - Local Office: San Jose, CA

October 5, 2006: We meet for the first time!

March 8, 2008: I-129F K1-Fiancee Visa Application mailed

October 27, 2008: K1 VISA RECEIVED !! (233 days - 7 MONTHS 19 DAYS)

January 17, 2009: Entry - POE: JFK w/EAD (315 days)

February 6, 2009: WEDDING! (335 days)

March 24, 2009: Sent AOS, EAD, AP package to Chicago Lock box (381 days - 1 YEAR 16 DAYS)

June 30, 2009: Interview in San Jose, CA (479 days) - NOT approved, Sworn statement required

AUGUST 14, 2009: GREEN CARD IN HAND (524 days - 1 YEAR 5 MONTHS 6 DAYS)

May 31, 2011: Sent I-751 Removal of Conditions package (1179 days - 3 YEARS 2 MONTHS 23 DAYS)

January 25, 2012: 10-Year Green Card Received (1418 days - 3 YEARS 10 MONTHS 17 DAYS)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

When I moved jobs I didnt have health insurance for 3 months. We shopped around for health insurance for my 3 year old son (me and my wife went without) we found that BCBS insured my son for $43 a month (had a $2500 deductable and everything invoked deductable except standard doctor visits and inoculations). Luckily nothing went wrong and we went to the doctor a few times with it. We also looked into Assurant as they do temp medical insurance. Also if the USC is eligible they could apply for medicaid

Hopes this helps.

Sent AOS, EAD - 3/27/07

NOA1 for AOS and EAD - 4/03/07

Checks cashed - 4/04/07

touched AOS and EAD - 04/06/07

touched AOS and EAD - 04/09/07

RFE for AOS - 04/26/07

return RFE - 06/20/07

EAD approved - 07/07/07

AOS transfered to CSC - 07/10/07

AOS approved - 08/10/07

Welcome letter arrived - 08/18/07

Green card arrive - 08/18/07

Apply for stolen green card 07/12/09

Apply for I-751 09/31/09

I-751 rejected due to late filling

Resubmit with a letter explaining tardiness 10/01/09

NOA1 - 10/17/09

No BioMetrics

Approval 12/4/09

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

Please read the exclusions in ANY policy you consider buying. I bought one for my husband on Ehealthinsurance and answered every question honestly and he was approved for coverage, only to discover when the hard copy of the policy came that they exclude anyone who hasn't been a US resident for 6 months! There was NOTHING in their online info (at that time) saying this! If I hadn't read the fine print of the policy we could have been SCREWED if they had denied benefits when we needed them.

And BTW I asked them why they had this policy and they said "newly arriving immigrants may not have had the benefit of western medicine prior to arriving in the USA, so they pose a high risk"... :rolleyes: It took them 3 weeks to send us a refund of the premium and they refused to refund the application fee!

I've filed a complaint with the Ins. Commissioners office. I sincerely doubt they check passports and verify length of US residency for the John Smith's they insure...I've NEVER had to provide any such information when making a health ins claim...

So be careful that you actually qualify for coverage... don't rely on their application process and approval by itself. The company is Pacific Source, so if you haven't been here for 6 months forget them.

We now have a policy from Assurant Health for "travellers" and newly arrived immigrants... coverage is small, but at least it's something. Will find something else as soon as his 6 months is up.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.