monalisa

difficulties of applying jobs

33 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hubby had some issues. It took him about 3 months to find a job. It was a plus that we had a letter from his previous employer and copies of his police record to go with his resume. He's been there nearly 2 years now and moving up the ladder slowly.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

I was almost crying while I was reading everyone's comment. I had the same problem. I got my EAD in November.

The economy has been so bad. I have a BA from American university, but because I do not have working history in the US, I could not even get a job. I even applied for Macy's and they did not even count my working experience in Japan and offered me a minimum wage. It pissed me off.

I then applied for Disneyland. And I got a job after a few weeks. Absolutely, this is not the job I can enjoy.

I am already sick of it, but I have to deal with it because I am so desperate for money.

Once the economy gets back, I am planning to apply for banks to be a loan officer. I eventually want to go to grad school, but I have to save enough money first.

And I am hoping that I can move to a different state. I live in Orange County Ca. This is insane. I cannot even afford anything. This is not a place I want to live.

06/19/2008 POE at LAX with K1 visa

06/28/2008 Married my husband

07/03/2008 Update my social security card

07/19/2008 AOS, EAD, AP mailed to Chicago lock box

07/21/2008 AOS, EAD, AP were received

07/28/2008 NOA1 for AOS, EAD, AP

08/04/2008 Biometric appointment letter arrived

08/15/2008 Biometric at Santa Ana office

10/21/2008 No update since biometric- contacted a local congressman, the ombudsman

10/22/2008 Was able to do service request

10/23/2008 EAD was approved

10/24/2008 AOS interview letter arrived

11/26/2008 Renew my State ID

12/10/2008 AOS interview approved right away

I'm using careerbuilder.com and looking through the free job papers in grocery stores. I've had my EAD almost a month and have applied for about 8 jobs. Unless I was a medical person, electrical engineer or suchlike, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot here - especially considering I can only cycle to work as we can't afford two cars.

I also have a BA - I have been tailoring all letters and resumes/applications to the jobs I am applying for but I think in the current climate it is difficult anyway, especially at this time of year. I am hoping there will be more jobs about in January - it's not that I am not applying, but there seems to be little out there right now and that doesn't really help!!!

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

......... with all the bad economy that this country is having right now, It is so hard to find a job. In my case while waiting for my EAD, I volunteer in a school nearby our house since I am a teacher in the Philippines, So far I enjoy it but everyday Im hoping I can have my work permit then and while waiting also for my work permit , I gather some information on how to get a credentials in order for me to teach here .So I take some exams to get that credentials and even send my transcript of Record to an evaluation area. It's a long process but so far it goes well and hopefully by volunteering I can have some recommendation or references once's I applied a job soon....

Edited by Bearlymistaken

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline
......... with all the bad economy that this country is having right now, It is so hard to find a job. In my case while waiting for my EAD, I volunteer in a school nearby our house since I am a teacher in the Philippines, So far I enjoy it but everyday Im hoping I can have my work permit then and while waiting also for my work permit , I gather some information on how to get a credentials in order for me to teach here .So I take some exams to get that credentials and even send my transcript of Record to an evaluation area. It's a long process but so far it goes well and hopefully by volunteering I can have some recommendation or references once's I applied a job soon....

Good for you! With that kind of motivation and intelligence, you'll do well. As you may know, because of widespread teacher shortages, many American school systems are recruiting for teachers in the Phils.

Anyone thought of volunteering? It's a great way of meeting people for the personal references, it could possibly count as a 'professional reference' in terms of your work ethic and at the very least, it gets you out the house and into the community. Organisations do hire and if you're known to them, they're more likely to consider your application.

Also, you might find that fellow volunteers have 'ins' with people hiring, so suggest you get in touch with someone they know is hiring. Networking!

I believe that some people are experiencing problems because prospective employers credit check applicants, and naturally recently immigrated applicants fail, not because of poor history but because of a lack of it.

Timeline Summary:

K-1/K-2 NOA1 - POE: 9 February - 9 July 2010

Married: 17 July 2010

AOS mailed - Interview : 22 November 2010 - 10 March 2011

ROC mailed - approved: 14 February - 18 June 2013

Citizenship mailed - ceremony: 9 February - 7 June 2017

VJ K-2 AOS Guide

Filed: Country: Kenya
Timeline
Anyone thought of volunteering? It's a great way of meeting people for the personal references, it could possibly count as a 'professional reference' in terms of your work ethic and at the very least, it gets you out the house and into the community. Organisations do hire and if you're known to them, they're more likely to consider your application.

Also, you might find that fellow volunteers have 'ins' with people hiring, so suggest you get in touch with someone they know is hiring. Networking!

I believe that some people are experiencing problems because prospective employers credit check applicants, and naturally recently immigrated applicants fail, not because of poor history but because of a lack of it.

This is one thing that I do not understand why an employer needs to do a credit check for employment. To me the only time that I think it would be a valid reason is if the employee was to be handling allot of money. I'm sure most say it show what kind of work ethics they will have, which I think is a bunch of poop.

Corbin

MGCtBY

I would recommend for you to tap your network. And if you could get a certification that is recognized by US, the better.

I work in a multinational company in the philippines and my business group is from the US. Before i left for the US, my US manager is looking for a job for me in our US site. Since i still need to adjust my status, i would get back to him after few months. I would also be meeting my american friends next month. One american friend is helping me find job in another business group.

I'm also reviewing right now for my certification of a particular profession. The certification is recognized here in the US.

My degrees from the Philippines is just good to have.

Praying that you find a job soon.

K1 Process:

May 1, 2008 Submitted I-129F to CSC

May 8, 2008 Received by CSC

May 9, 2008 NOA1

May 18, 2008 Touched

October 9, 2008 RFE

October 28, 2008 RFE Reply

October 29, 2008 Touched

October 30, 2008 Touched

November 1, 2008 NOA2 (HardCopy)

November 11, 2008 Letter from NVC (Hardcopy)

November 14 & 17, 2008 Medical (Passed)

November 26, 2008 Interview (Passed)

December 5, 2008 Visa Received

December 23, 2008 US Entry (POE: Hawaii)

February 7, 2009 Private Wedding

AOS Process:

March 9, 2009 Mailed AOS Application via Express Mail (I-485, I-765, I-131)

March 10, 2009 USPS confirmed that AOS application was delivered and received in Chicago

March 18, 2009 Received NOA for AOS, EAD and AP

April 8, 2009 Biometrics Done

April 27, 2009 AP Approved

May 1, 2009 AP received in the mail

May 2, 2009 EAD card received in the mail

May 29, 2009 AOS interview (Approved)

June 29, 2009 GC received

ROC Process

March 1, 2011 Mailed I-175 Application via Express Mail

March 4 ,2011 NOA for I-175

April 05,2011 Biometrics [Early Biometrics March 22, 2011]

April 21,2011 Approval

April 27,2011 10 Year Green Card Received

Naturalization Process

March 6, 2012 Mailed N-400 Application via Express Mail

[/size]

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

My husband had an online business before he came here. He kept that going until his EAD came thru. He then took a kinda stinky job at a retail establishment doing promotions (you know, those ppl who stop you as you're walking into the store and start asking you questions). I could have never done that (I'm too shy :blush: ) but with his outgoing personality he was actually great at it. Later he met some Turkish people in our community who owned a restaurant and they invited him to come to work with them. He did both jobs for a while but recently decided to quit the retail job and just devote his time to the restaurant. He's also going to college here for network engineering.

All this was frustrating for him at first too. He has a bachelor's in Engineering and had to take these jobs that were way beneath his qualifications and ability. He says he's happy though. I think it helps that he's working with people from his home country that speak to him in his native language and they are very good to him/us...also knowing that once he finishes school, he'll have a very high paying job. Plus he's young. I think it'd be much harder for him to deal with if he were older and in an established career before moving here.

So going back to college is one thing to consider. I know it's a couple years out of your life, but it could really pay off in the end. Also, there are some great financial aid programs out there. My husband currently pays $0 - nothing - for his college tuition thanks to government financial aid programs. If you can get your college from your home country to send transcripts, you could possibly get some credit toward a degree here.

I also like the volunteering idea :)

Good luck! :star:

ROC Journey:

01/19/2010 - Mailed ROC paperwork to Vermont Service Center

01/21/2010 - ROC package arrived at VSC

01/26/2010 - Check cashed

01/28/2010 - Received NOA, GC extended for 1 year

02/25/2010 - Biometrics taken

04/23/2010 - Conditions lifted! :)

05/01/2010 - Ten-year GC received...on hubby's birthday! Yay!

MeandOzzy.jpg

Hi to everyone!!

I am new here in the United States and i found out that its really hard to get a first job here if you doesn't have any U.S work history and its so sad that there are some employers here who do not consider your work experiences in the country where you came from. and you know what makes me pissed off? is that even if you have had a Bachelors Degree in your country they didn't even consider that too. it makes me think that for them, it doesn't count. plus the economy in the U.S is not in a good condition at this time.

I've tried many times to submit an application directly to the store/company who are hiring but sad so say i haven't got a call until now. How are they going to know if you are qualified or not if they did not even give a chance to interview or give time to talk to the person who are applying for that specific job. it is ridiculous!! I'm so pissed off..

Has everyone here having difficulties for applying jobs? does applying online is effective? and what site would you recommend? Thank you for you time..

your response is highly appreciated..

Persistency counts. If you just send an application or a resume to employers, chances are it will be filed away with all the other applications and resumes they received and never looked at again. What you have to do is get yourself a list of all the employers that you would consider working for and pick the top 10. Make personal contact with each of those 10 employers weekly until one of them gives you a definite "no way, I am not going to consider you". Remove that one from the list, add the one next in line to your list of top 10 and keep it up until you get a job.

Sometimes an employer will hire you just to keep you from bugging him every week. It works. Trust me.

You are right that employers will not even consider foreign experience or education because they assume that would be comparing apples and oranges. It's too bad, but there's a saying in California, "A Filipino with a PhD can pick apples." It's true. In my case, I have a business degree and a law degree and I'm working for a major retail store sorting and folding clothes. I've been working for more than a year now and my boss is considering me for a lead position. After a couple of years working in the United States, you know, your options will improve. Good luck to your job hunting. :thumbs:

By the way, don't forget even a minimum wage job in the United States pays as more than in a professional position in most countries especially the Philippines. I'm already making more in one hour than I made all day in the Philippines.

Edited by sonomacountygal

Hokey Smoke!

Rocky: "Baby, are they still mad at us on VJ?"

Bullwinkle: "No, they are just confused."

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

My husband has a master's degree in computer science and he must have sent out 20 resumes before getting hired. The job he got is lower paid than he'd have gotten in Germany, of course, but we feel very fortunate in this economy that he's doing as well as he is.

Hang in there! I might suggest trying to get degrees translated and also, definitely tailor your application for each employer. Good luck!

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My husband is in the same boat. He got a job at Wal-Mart as a seasonal employee but he and all the other seasonals were let go after only a few weeks due to "poor sales" (even though they posted company wide gains for the Christmas season...hmmm...)

Basically, it came to this for us: either he can sit around at home in the crappy economy and continue to apply for jobs he likely won't be considered for due to his lack of US work experience, or we can invest in him taking a course to become a CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant). It isn't a glamorous job by any means, but the pay is ok and it is one of the few job areas where there are plenty of openings right now. Also, the course is a 8 week intensive course and the college assists in job placement. Thankfully his dad is helping us out by sending us money to pay for the course, but maybe consider doing a program at a community college that will get you certified in a field that is in need of workers.

wtf-picard.jpg

Move to Dallas Ft.Worth Texas.

We should weather the recession well, Last time we had one we weathered it very well.

Another option

Go back to college and get an Associate Degree (2 years), usually from a communtiy college, and get you ADN in Nursing.

Then you can sit for your NCLEX and be a RN.

Work when you want, good salary, etc...........

youregonnalovemynutsf.jpg

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
So going back to college is one thing to consider. I know it's a couple years out of your life, but it could really pay off in the end. Also, there are some great financial aid programs out there. My husband currently pays $0 - nothing - for his college tuition thanks to government financial aid programs.

Good luck! :star:

OK, so are you saying that we, as brand new immigrants, qualify for U.S. federal aid with regard to college tuition? Now that would be MOST helpful.

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Service Center : Phoenix AZ Lockbox

CIS Office : Saint Louis MO

Date Filed : 2014-06-11

NOA Date : 2014-06-16

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

Under certain circumstances, many universities can provide a financial aid package to immigrants and part of the package may include government funds. It probably relates to developing credentials that are in great need in the U.S. There are no guarantees, however, of any aid.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.