monalisa

difficulties of applying jobs

33 posts in this topic

Hi to everyone!!

I am new here in the United States and i found out that its really hard to get a first job here if you doesn't have any U.S work history and its so sad that there are some employers here who do not consider your work experiences in the country where you came from. and you know what makes me pissed off? is that even if you have had a Bachelors Degree in your country they didn't even consider that too. it makes me think that for them, it doesn't count. plus the economy in the U.S is not in a good condition at this time.

I've tried many times to submit an application directly to the store/company who are hiring but sad so say i haven't got a call until now. How are they going to know if you are qualified or not if they did not even give a chance to interview or give time to talk to the person who are applying for that specific job. it is ridiculous!! I'm so pissed off..

Has everyone here having difficulties for applying jobs? does applying online is effective? and what site would you recommend? Thank you for you time..

your response is highly appreciated..

CR1 VISA

TIMELINES:

February 27,2008--------NVC recieved the I-130 from USCIS

May 27,2008------------CASE COMPLETE!!

June 23,2008-------------MEDICAL EXAMINATION AT ST. LUKES (PASSED)

July 11,2008-------------INTERVIEW AT MANILA EMBASSY @ 6:30AM...( APPROVED, PINK SLIP ) THANK U LORD...

July 15,2008-------------VISA IN HAND....Thanks God!

July 22,2008-------------My flight to Michigan (Exciting.....)

July 23,2008-------------Arrived in Michigan, POE - Detroit

August 02,2008-------------Recieved my SSN CARD

August 09,2008-------------Recieved my GREEN CARD

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you contacted you local PHil-Am community? There are contacts within those groups that can network for you or even in a position to offer you a job. Especially if you have a college education(as long as that education does nto require certification in the states), there would be oppurtuniies from inside that group.

Is a good place to start.

Have you contacted you local PHil-Am community? There are contacts within those groups that can network for you or even in a position to offer you a job. Especially if you have a college education(as long as that education does nto require certification in the states), there would be oppurtuniies from inside that group.

Is a good place to start.

05-21-06 - Met online

12-29-07 - Married at 6pm THE LAST TIME I'LL FALL IN LOVE

07-28-08 - Mailed I-130(Chicago, $355 X 2)

07-31-08 - NOA1(I-130 recieved in Chicago)

08-01-08 - Hard copy NOA1 (I recieved the NOA1 via mail)

08-25-08 - Hard copy NOA2(I-130 approved and recieved by me)

08-27-08 - NVC assigns case number(verified via telephone call)

09-05-08 - Received DS-3032 and AOS bill(checked by phone and noted on travel web site)

09-05-08 - Paid AOS bill online --- pending (paid on-line $70)

09-06-08 - Emailed DS-3032 --- auto response (email that NVC recieved an email from Grace, nothing more)

09-09-08 - AOS bill --- PAID!! (noted on travel web site as "PAID")

09-11-09 - Grace recieved DS-3032s, still no response to the email...(wife got a birthday package from her hubby :) )

09-12-09 - Mailed DS-3032 via FedEx. Also mailed out AOS(paper mailed just to be certain they get one)

09-15-09 - NVC accepts DS-3032..FINALLY!!!(verified via email response and telephone call)

09-15-09 - IV Bill paid online - in process($400 X 2)

09-16-08 - AOS revieced by NVC and being reviewed.(verified via telephone call)

09-17-08 - Immigrant VISA Bill fee "PAID" (verified on-line)

09-24-08 - AOS approved(verified via telephone call)

10-06-08 - DS230 recieved by NVC

10-10-08 - CASE COMPLETED AT NVC

10-29-08 - Appointment Schedule for 12-9-2008(verified by telephone call to NVC)

11-03-08 - Recieved Appointment letter via snail mail

11-25-08 - Medical Exam at St. Lukes Medical Center

12-09-08 - Interview at 630am.......VISAs APPROVED!!

I think it's a matter of knowing where to look, having the right qualifications/skills that match the job, and tailoring your resume for each application. A strong application is really important. Do you know anyone who can review & proof read your resume and cover letter for you?

Edited by kaffy

DCF Timeline here

POE Timeline

08/24/2008 POE Seattle

08/29/2008 SSN assigned

09/08/2008 SSN (Card) received

09/29/2008 Green Card received

I-90 Timeline (USCIS error)

11/10/2008 Send I-90 to Texas service center

12/xx/2008 NOA1

01/07/2009 Card production ordered

01/14/2009 Card mailed

01/xx/2009 Card received

I-751 Timeline

06/02/2010 Send I-751 to California service center

06/04/2010 Received at CSC

06/07/2010 NOA1

06/09/2010 Check cashed

07/27/2010 Biometrics

07/28/2010 Touch

09/02/2010 Approved

Kaffy...VERY good points. I agree 100% with you. But it does not hurt to have an insider to help as well.

05-21-06 - Met online

12-29-07 - Married at 6pm THE LAST TIME I'LL FALL IN LOVE

07-28-08 - Mailed I-130(Chicago, $355 X 2)

07-31-08 - NOA1(I-130 recieved in Chicago)

08-01-08 - Hard copy NOA1 (I recieved the NOA1 via mail)

08-25-08 - Hard copy NOA2(I-130 approved and recieved by me)

08-27-08 - NVC assigns case number(verified via telephone call)

09-05-08 - Received DS-3032 and AOS bill(checked by phone and noted on travel web site)

09-05-08 - Paid AOS bill online --- pending (paid on-line $70)

09-06-08 - Emailed DS-3032 --- auto response (email that NVC recieved an email from Grace, nothing more)

09-09-08 - AOS bill --- PAID!! (noted on travel web site as "PAID")

09-11-09 - Grace recieved DS-3032s, still no response to the email...(wife got a birthday package from her hubby :) )

09-12-09 - Mailed DS-3032 via FedEx. Also mailed out AOS(paper mailed just to be certain they get one)

09-15-09 - NVC accepts DS-3032..FINALLY!!!(verified via email response and telephone call)

09-15-09 - IV Bill paid online - in process($400 X 2)

09-16-08 - AOS revieced by NVC and being reviewed.(verified via telephone call)

09-17-08 - Immigrant VISA Bill fee "PAID" (verified on-line)

09-24-08 - AOS approved(verified via telephone call)

10-06-08 - DS230 recieved by NVC

10-10-08 - CASE COMPLETED AT NVC

10-29-08 - Appointment Schedule for 12-9-2008(verified by telephone call to NVC)

11-03-08 - Recieved Appointment letter via snail mail

11-25-08 - Medical Exam at St. Lukes Medical Center

12-09-08 - Interview at 630am.......VISAs APPROVED!!

Hi to everyone!!

I am new here in the United States and i found out that its really hard to get a first job here if you doesn't have any U.S work history and its so sad that there are some employers here who do not consider your work experiences in the country where you came from. and you know what makes me pissed off? is that even if you have had a Bachelors Degree in your country they didn't even consider that too. it makes me think that for them, it doesn't count. plus the economy in the U.S is not in a good condition at this time.

I've tried many times to submit an application directly to the store/company who are hiring but sad so say i haven't got a call until now. How are they going to know if you are qualified or not if they did not even give a chance to interview or give time to talk to the person who are applying for that specific job. it is ridiculous!! I'm so pissed off..

Has everyone here having difficulties for applying jobs? does applying online is effective? and what site would you recommend? Thank you for you time..

your response is highly appreciated..

I had been applying for jobs here for months!! I contacted a Phil-Am Community but they can't help me. Yes, I am a Bachelor's Degree holder, finished 3 courses which I also thought it wasnt considered when I applied for jobs here. I got called for interviews but they seemed not impressed with work experiences from another country (especially 3rd world). I also tried to apply on line, only 1 company contacted me and that fast food company hired me as a crew for $7/hour. How can I complain, I was desperate to get a job. The funny thing is I didn't type in my corporate experiences in the Phils. when I applied on line at that fast food company. I just left them blank because I was so pissed off. My advise to you, get yourself trained again here, on line school or anything that would be useful in applying for a job here. Let me know if you need any more advise. :yes:

misery

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I've encountered a similar problem in Canada. I'm the USC in the relationship and instead of my Canadian wife immigrating to the U.S., I moved up to Canada.

The main issue -- like you said -- is a lack of work history and professional references in the country you're residing in. I've actually taken a job on a seasonal basis simply to acquire some work history and a professional reference here in Canada. It's not the most fun work ever, but it'll net me what I need to move on to something much better.

You might want to look at doing something such as that. With Christmas coming up, retail stores are hiring like mad. Your best bet is to get hired before Black Friday (the day right after Thanksgiving in the United States), since the "shopping spree for gifts" starts that day.

A job like that might not be to your preference, but it will gain you what you want (work history, references, etc) to do something more enjoyable later on.

Filed: Country: Kenya
Timeline

Finding a job in America can be hard for even an American these days. Part of the reason is the economy stinks right now. Companies want people that can walk into the job and do it all without any learning curve. The best I can say is don't give up and keep at trying to find a better job.

Corbin

MGCtBY

You mentioned about them not considering a Bachelor's degree? One thing you might want to look at is having your transcripts read so that you can find out if your degree is an equivalent. Sometimes the degrees don't translate into the same degree here in the US, and there might be some upgrading, certification, or exams to do here that will then ensure your degree is looked at, at the same as an American.

Hope you find something soon! Remember, with Christmas coming up, sometimes getting your foot in the door for that extra seasonal help might be a good way of starting!

carlahmsb4.gif

I have a totally different experience. I came here with a temporary EAD and started looking for jobs right away. I used the Careerbuilder website and just applied to as many jobs as possible. It took me 3 weeks to find a job. I quit that job after several weeks because the place had not been honest with me about the weekends I would be working and the times. So I started applying to jobs again. I was invited for interviews and had another job 2 weeks later. I worked at that place until my EAD expired. They said they would rehire me once I get my EAD, but with the current economic situation I am not sure they actually will. I have a bachelor's degree too, but I basically looked for jobs that required at least a high school diploma and companies with growth possibilities. I realize I probably have to take a step back and that's fine with me as long as there are growth possibilities. So once I get my EAD card, I may have to start looking for a job all over again. Hopefully the search will go as smooth as before, although I do realize it may take a while longer because of the economic situation.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

I have a masters degree and taught college courses for about 10 years in Malaysia. I have been looking around for instructor position at local community colleges and universities, they all required three recommendation letters from people who know you professionally and three personal references, and these referees cannot be relatives.

Being new in this country without knowing many people, that's like mission impossible!

So the current non options I have:

(1) get a job beneath my qualification and work experience

(2) go back to school to get a second American masters degree and get to know some professional references along the way

(3) have a baby and stay home. :-)

My husband says I do not have to work if I choose to. Though he makes enough money for us to live comfortably in this small town, a second source of income and getting out of the house to meet people will be nice! We will see what happens once we are done with the suckers at social security office and DMV.

Leah

USCIS

03/15/08 Mailed I-130 package

07/17 I-130 package delivered to Chicago lockbox

03/26 NOA1 received (Priority date 03/24/08)

04/18 Touched

06/05 Expedite request on humanitarian ground (medical emergency)

06/16, 06/17, 06/18, 06/19, 06/20 Touched

06/28 Received RFE dated 06/23

06/30 mailed RFE express mail to CSC

07/02, 07/03 Touched

07/08 07/09 Touched. "RFE received & processing resumed"

07/11 Congress aide found out I-130 was approved on 07/09!!!

07/17 NOA2 hardcopy dated 07/09

07/21 Approval notice hardcopy dated 07/11 I-130 was approved in 116 days from filing date (expedited).

NVC

07/15 NVC received and assigned case #

07/16 Emailed expedite request & supporting documents

07/17 DS-3032 and AOS fee bill generated, Emailed DS-3032.

07/21 Received DS-3032 & AOS fee bill hardcopy.

07/24 NVC approved expedite request

US Consulate

07/31 Package arrived at US consulate

08/01 Was told to pick up packet 3 on 08/04

08/04 Req packet 3 send by mail.

08/09 Received packet 3

08/11 Returned packet 3

08/15 Picked up packet 4 & medical check up

08/28 Submitted civil docs & paid $400 IV fee. Visa Interview & approved !!!

08/29 Visa in hand

09/30 POE IR1 visa interview took 166 days from the I-130 filing date (expedited).

10/04 Applied for SSN in married name.

11/11 Welcome notice received (dated 11/04)

11/15 Received Green card.

11/21 2nd Welcome notice received (dated 11/13)

11/24 Received SS card in maiden name.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I have a masters degree and taught college courses for about 10 years in Malaysia. I have been looking around for instructor position at local community colleges and universities, they all required three recommendation letters from people who know you professionally and three personal references, and these referees cannot be relatives.

Being new in this country without knowing many people, that's like mission impossible!

(2) go back to school to get a second American masters degree and get to know some professional references along the way

My husband says I do not have to work if I choose to. Though he makes enough money for us to live comfortably in this small town, a second source of income and getting out of the house to meet people will be nice! We will see what happens once we are done with the suckers at social security office and DMV.

Leah

Except for the third option (I'm male), your story sounds remarkably like my own. I didn't even come from a distant country. I moved to Canada from the United States and we share a border! It's been very frustrating.

I do agree monalisa of what you've been experiencing this time economy, i got here in the states 1 year and 7mos ago and after 3 mos of stayin in the house i finally decided to apply a job of anykind cause i know that no matter what you are & what you got in the Philippines still not a matter here so i wasn't being picky then my first job was @ macys as a sales associate & it went well I couldn't ever believe that day they hired me, I mean you know its very competetive that was a panel interview & 2 sets of interview but i told myself "you have to show them that your able to take watever it takes" there were 3 filipinas including myself but I was just the only one got hired cause I talked to them afterwards so just be patients & pray to God cause no matter what we do if God won't let you, then that's it..I could tell your a bright person its just part of what happening now of the economy so yeah if you like to take any short courses that helps a lot here...good luck in you search & God Bless you...

Can you get references from Malaysia?

I wasn't required to obtain any letters of recommendation since I work in a different field but after I had my job interview and HR was ready to contact my references, they understood I was new to the country and were happy & willing to contact my references who were in Australia & Japan

DCF Timeline here

POE Timeline

08/24/2008 POE Seattle

08/29/2008 SSN assigned

09/08/2008 SSN (Card) received

09/29/2008 Green Card received

I-90 Timeline (USCIS error)

11/10/2008 Send I-90 to Texas service center

12/xx/2008 NOA1

01/07/2009 Card production ordered

01/14/2009 Card mailed

01/xx/2009 Card received

I-751 Timeline

06/02/2010 Send I-751 to California service center

06/04/2010 Received at CSC

06/07/2010 NOA1

06/09/2010 Check cashed

07/27/2010 Biometrics

07/28/2010 Touch

09/02/2010 Approved

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Leah

Sounds like we're living the same life! Save option 3, thats what hubby wants not me.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.