Rodgiegirl

LIVING OUTSIDE US AFTER GREEN CARD????

42 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Zambia
Timeline
A re-entry permitt??? YES

does that mean we have to file the I-131?? YES

My husband came in on the I-129F. Does not matter how he arrived

OKay another question........we already have AP that is good until 9/29/2009, If we get the green card can we still use this? Or does the green card make this invalid??

greencard invalidates ALL prior interim benefits... (ie.. EAD & AP)

Thanks so much for your help. Wow, now I feel stuck..........so if we get a re-entry, we have to come back before two years and then re-apply for another re-entry, If we want to go back again? Is that how it goes? Thanks

Interview: 2008-02-21

Visa in hand: 2008-02-26

POE (NYC):2008-03-11

Wedding: 2008-04-11

AOS Interview Appointment 2008-12-08

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

OKay another question........we already have AP that is good until 9/29/2009, If we get the green card can we still use this? Or does the green card make this invalid??

Thanks so much for your help. Wow, now I feel stuck..........so if we get a re-entry, we have to come back before two years and then re-apply for another re-entry, If we want to go back again? Is that how it goes? Thanks

I suppose, but it appears based on your plans you are playing a bit of Russian Roulette... They are not dumb... If you are even able to get the second greencard, they most likely will see the pattern when you apply for a second permit, and then it will come back to "bite" you, as the length of all out of country time is recorded ... In addition, if I am not mistaken, a re-entry permit is NOT a guaranty to re-entry...

Do this at your own risk

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Timeline

I suppose, but it appears based on your plans you are playing a bit of ... They are not dumb... If you are even able to get the second greencard, they most likely will see the pattern when you apply for a second permit, and then it will come back to "bite" you, as the length of all out of country time is recorded ... In addition, if I am not mistaken, a re-entry permit is NOT a guaranty to re-entry...

Do this at your own risk

I'mnot trying to play Russian Roulette, I just don't know what the policy is????? My husband and I are planning on staying outside the US, so I don't know what the best route is????? I'm just tyring to get info because I don't know how to go about doing this. Because at the time we applied for AOS we didn't know that we'd be returning to Zambia. So don't judge me or my plans, I just need to know the best route. So maybe you can let me know what is best for our situation, thanks.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

This is correct. You have to apply for your re-entry permit and they can still deny it. Your best bet would be to apply for it and see how it goes, depending on their decision you can make your own.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Timeline
I'm not trying to play Russian Roulette, I just don't know what the policy is????? My husband and I are planning on staying outside the US, so I don't know what the best route is????? I'm just tyring to get info because I don't know how to go about doing this. Because at the time we applied for AOS we didn't know that we'd be returning to Zambia. So don't judge me or my plans, I just need to know the best route. So maybe you can let me know what is best for our situation, thanks.

The best route is that if you are not going to live in the USA, then do not bother with the greencard, because residency must be maintained and if you are not living here it is difficult to do.

YMMV

Timeline
This is correct. You have to apply for your re-entry permit and they can still deny it. Your best bet would be to apply for it and see how it goes, depending on their decision you can make your own.

Diana

Thanks, maybe you can tell me what the best route to take is considering that my husband and I are planning on living abroad.

I'm not trying to play Russian Roulette, I just don't know what the policy is????? My husband and I are planning on staying outside the US, so I don't know what the best route is????? I'm just tyring to get info because I don't know how to go about doing this. Because at the time we applied for AOS we didn't know that we'd be returning to Zambia. So don't judge me or my plans, I just need to know the best route. So maybe you can let me know what is best for our situation, thanks.

The best route is that if you are not going to live in the USA, then do not bother with the greencard, because residency must be maintained and if you are not living here it is difficult to do.

Thanks, so do you know the steps to take then when we want to come back for a visit?? On which visa would he have to come in on?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

In that case, don't even bother with getting him Permanent Residency because he will lose it. The status itself says it all, it's permanent. If you know for sure you will not live here in the US, then it's pointless.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
Thanks, so do you know the steps to take then when we want to come back for a visit?? On which visa would he have to come in on?

Coming back for a visit would be a B2 visa. Not sure what the chances are of him getting one.

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Timeline

Google "maintaining permanent residency" and READ.... I think the information will open your eyes a little about the huge pitfalls in your possible plan....

YMMV

Timeline
In that case, don't even bother with getting him Permanent Residency because he will lose it. The status itself says it all, it's permanent. If you know for sure you will not live here in the US, then it's pointless.

Diana

we already filed for it back in June, because we didn't know at the time that we'd be going back. Now we have an interview for AOS..........not sure what to do???? We plan to stay for another few months after getting the PRC but then we plan on going.............wow, I'm so confused.

Timeline

Coming back for a visit would be a B2 visa. Not sure what the chances are of him getting one.

Hey ZEE! How are you?? thanks for the info. I'll look into it

Filed: Other Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
hey, I was wondering if anyone knows any links or has info on what the policy is about living outside the US after recieving the green card. We're planning on returning home and staying for a while. Thanks for all the help!! :)

After you got your green card, you are sure a permanent resident, you are free to go in and out US, BUT not toooo long, specially you are a new PR, if you leave more than 6 months as soon as you get your GC, or worse 1 year without coming back at all, they will suspect you "why you even get the US permanent residency if you do not want to stay in the US/become a US citizen?" That is why my friend's mom, she stay in the US every half year. Stay here 6 months, then back to home country 6 months, and she has no problem.

08/2002 Arrived US with F-1 Student Visa

01/01/08 EAD received (Student OPT)

08/01/08 Got married

AOS

08/31/08 USPS Express Delivery I-485, I-130, I-131, I-765 to Chicago Office

09/02/08 USCIS received the package

09/04/08 USCIS sent NOA1 by mail

09/08/08 Received all (4) NOA1 for I-130, I-131, I-485 & I-765

09/12/08 Received Biometrics appointment letter

10/03/08 Appointment for Biometrics

11/04/08 Received Interview NOA by mail

11/10/08 InfoPass for AP

11/12/08 AP Approve Notice Sent , EAD Card Production Ordered

11/17/08 AP received

11/25/08 EAD received

12/11/08 Appointment for Interview - APPROVED

12/27/08 GREEN CARD received

ROC

11/16/10 USPS Express Delivery I-751 to California Service Center

11/17/10 USCIS received the package, Notice of Action dated same day

11/19/10 Check was cashed

11/23/10 Received NOA

12/11/10 Green Gard expired

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Please Google, "maintaining permanent resident status" and you'll see the answers to your questions directly from the source. In short though, your plan to leave the US and come back to remove conditions is not a viable one. Those who enter on K1 visas do have some limitations. It's best to understand them as early in the process as possible, so no time like the present, since sooner is no longer possible.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Please Google, "maintaining permanent resident status" and you'll see the answers to your questions directly from the source. In short though, your plan to leave the US and come back to remove conditions is not a viable one. Those who enter on K1 visas do have some limitations. It's best to understand them as early in the process as possible, so no time like the present, since sooner is no longer possible.

Thank you, I will

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.