Kevin&Leilei

November '08 K-1 Filers

927 posts in this topic

CONGRATULATIONS on getting your interview dates Ellie and Popo's Lady. Everything is so easier when you can count down to a certain date :) Wish you the best of luck.

We got our marriage license and we are getting married on Friday. :) His family will be attending and I am really excited about it. Other than that its pretty boring to be a housewife :) Don't know how people do it all the time. Can't wait to start working something. (I will probably regret my words later :)

I cant believe you are bored already!!! hee hee....you have got a few months of housewifedom to stare down yet! I suspect you will probably regret those words when you are staring down a full week of work :)

I'm so excited for you! I cant believe you are getting married on Friday. WOW!!!! I am so jealous, I hate living this half life until I go....although I cant wait to hand my notice in in 2 weeks time on my job. I must confess, i haven't been the most motivated worker over the last few weeks...

Good luck! I hope you have a wonderful day on Friday...

K1

PLEASE SEE MY TIMELINE FOR K1 INFORMATION

AOS complete!

08/21/2009 - AOS package sent

08/28/2009 - NOA 1 for AOS, EAD, AP

08/31/2009 - Cheque cashed

09/05/2009 - Biometrics notice received

09/23/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

09/23/2009 - I-485 Transferred to CSC

10/02/2009 - EAD Approved (card production) & AP approved!

10/11/2009 - EAD Card received

10/20/2009 - AOS approved, GC card production ordered! (53 days in total)

10/26/2009 - Green Card received - nearly 11 months to the day of our K1 NOA 1!

11/25/2009 - Started my new job!

02/26/2010 - Passed my driving test :-p

07/20/2011 - Eligible to remove conditions

2012 - Going for citizenship

09/20/2011 - Removal of conditions submitted to VSC....here we go...again!

It's been a quick and relatively painless journey thanks to tireless research, dumb luck and this community :)

DONE with USCIS for a while :)

mnb0ir.png

• Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
Speaking of which...I received my packet IV today and interview is on June 9 @ 8am..an early start of the day - which is great!

Congratulations!!! We are only within a couple of days of one another! That is fabulous.

With regard to extending the K1 - I cant find anything that provides a definitive list of how to / in what circumstances so I am pretty sure you would have to be talking about some very unusual circumstances for them to agree to extend.

If you were approved in June and the visa given to you then, that would give you enough time anyway wouldn't it?

Thank you!!! Yeah, I just noticed that our interviews are days apart..Still a while to go until the interview but very busy on my end with everything I need to sort out here.

I know what you mean about being in an unusual situation for them to extend the K1 visa....having an interview in june would definitely be enough time to leave oct 31..i was just thinking of the possible "what ifs"...or maybe is it because now we're having a baby, Im going to miss my family more and the fact that they wont be able to spend time with the little bub. Either way, i'll figure out something..

For those of you still assembling your documents for package 3, pay attention to the wording on the instructions. We just got back our English translations today, and I noticed the birth certificate didn't include both of her parents' names, birthdates and places of birth, as the instructions require. I didn't pay that much attention to the wording, and when we got the original in Chinese, I couldn't read it anyway to see what it said. Apparently birth certificates in China are much different from those in the US. So now we have to go get another one (and pay for it), and then get it translated again (quite expensive). :(

sorry to hear about that! hopefully you get that sorted out in no time..

We got our marriage license and we are getting married on Friday. :) His family will be attending and I am really excited about it. Other than that its pretty boring to be a housewife :) Don't know how people do it all the time. Can't wait to start working something. (I will probably regret my words later :)

How exciting you're getting married!!! Time is definitely flying!! haha I cant believe you're already bored being a housewife...try looking for things to do around the area if you can..

ROC Journey:-

05.11.2012 -- mail I-751 packet

05.14.2012 -- Packet arrived @ VSC

xx.xx.2012 -- Check Cashed

05.15.2012 -- NOA1 dated 05.15.2012

05.31.2012 -- Biometric notice date

06.27.2012 -- Biometrics Taken

01.23.2013 -- Card Production Ordered.

01.28.2013 -- 10 Year Green Card Received

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

Hi all,

I have a couple of questions, sorry about the length. I am trying to prepare my information for our packet 3 and read this on the U.S. Embassy in PAP website.

Immigrant visas

Pre-Screening System Developed by the Immigrant Visa Unit

The Consular Section in Port-au-Prince interviewed over 40,640 immigrant visa applicants in fiscal year 2000. Only approximately 30% of those applicants qualified for a visa at the initial interview. In an effort to increase the number of applicants who present all essential documents at the interview, and, therefore, reduce the waiting time for the immigrant visa, the Consular Section has developed a pre-appointment document screening system known as Packet 3.5.

In the past, applicants were scheduled for an interview when they reported themselves documentarily qualified to the Consular Section. Even after reporting themselves documentarily qualified, the majority of applicants were still missing required documents; these applicants were refused at the time of the interview and were asked to send the documents to be reconsidered later. Because the majority of applicants reported themselves documentarily qualified as soon as they received the Packet 3, the waiting time for an appointment was typically 12 to 15 months.

In an effort to increase the percentage of applicants who have the necessary documents at the time of the interview and to decrease the waiting time, the Consular Section in Port-au-Prince has developed the Packet 3.5 system to pre-screen applicants. As soon we receive a Packet 3 from the NVC, the Consular Section mails the applicant a Packet 3.5. The Packet 3.5 contains a list of documents that the applicant must present at the time of the interview. The instructions direct the applicant to assemble the documents and deposit them at a local courier service. For a small fee, payable by the applicant, the service assembles a packet for each applicant and delivers the packets to the Consular Section daily.

The Consular Section screens each packet for completeness. If the applicant has included all necessary documents, the Consular Section returns a sealed packet to the courier service with a label informing the applicant when to return for their interview, usually within 2 weeks. If the packet is incomplete, the applicant will be asked to gather the missing documents and return for an interview at a later date, usually within 2 months. This system allows the Consular Section to schedule immediately applicants who are ready for an interview and notify other applicants of the additional documents that they must obtain before their interview.

The Packet 3.5 pre-screening system resulted in more applicants qualifying for an immigrant visa at the initial interview. This, in turn, decreased the number of cases that require reconsideration and, ideally, sped up the entire immigrant visa application process for many applicants. The Packet 3.5 system is just one of many new initiatives being developed by the Consular Section in Port-au-Prince to better serve the public.

My first question - is this how other Embassies work? In reading this, it sounds like I will have to send all of my information to my fiance before he can get his interview date. Is this the practice at the other embassies that you all are going through? If this is the case, I'll have to fly to Haiti to bring the information with me since there is no reliable mail system there and I don't trust sending originals of anything. Even the embassy brings packet 3 to people, hand delivering it.

My second question - I went to my bank today to get a letter stating how much I have in my accounts, when my accounts were opened and how much I have had in deposits over the past year (for the affidavit of support). The bank was able to get all of my information minus the amount of deposits over the past year and wrote a letter stating the information. Is that going to be a problem? Should I make copies of all of my bank statements to include with my bank information?

Any help you can provide will be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks everyone.

We're set for 10 years!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

If your income is high enough, the bank statements aren't required. Look at the I-184 instructions for explanation, as I-134 isn't as clear.

In Jamaica, you're given a check list of papers to gather before the interview. But you only have to turn one of them in for them to schedule your interview. They tell you to gather the rest while waiting for the interview.

My personal opinion, what Haiti is doing is fine. It should shorten time overall and force people to have their stuff together before interviewing. I haven't been approved yet, but I have already put together everything for the interview and AOS.

November 19, 2007 - Met

November 25, 2008 - Engaged

November 25, 2009 - Married

November 24, 2011 - Baby due!

Daily earning Amazon gift cards by searching the web with SwagBucks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

ARGH....28 days now in NVC Additional Processing. I have a letter drafted and the appropriate Freedom of Information Act completed for submission to my US Senator. This is brutal. Sorry All, just venting.

:angry:

04/2008: First Met in Person - Macae Brazil

04/2008-07/2008: Corresponded

08/15/2008: Second Trip to Brazil

10/16/2008: Third Trip to Brazil

10/16/2008: Engaged

11/18/2008: K-1 129F Filed w/USCIS

11/20/2008: NOA1 Received

12/19/2008: Fourth Trip to Brazil

02/17/2009: Fifth Trip to Brazil

03/06/2009: Sixth Trip to Brazil

04/14/2009: NOA2 Email – APPROVED (HURRAY <"OBA" as they say in Brazil> !!!!)

04/17/2009: NVC Recv'd Approved K-1 Petition From USCIS; “AP” Advised By Phone (ARGH! All that VSC wait & here we go again !!!!)

04/23/2009: Seventh Trip to Brazil

05/18/2009: RELEASED FROM NVC !!! On the way to the Rio Consulate (FINALLY !!!)

05/28/2009: Eight Trip to Brazil

06/30/2009: Consulate Interview Rio and APPROVAL!!!!

07/16/2009: Final Trip to Brazil before entry to the USA

07/30/2009: Mike on work trip to Singapore for 9 days, return 08/08/2009

08/09/2009: Miche scheduled entry to the USA!! POE Houston

08/10/2009: Closed on new home

08/20/2009: Married in Las Vegas

10/27/2009: Filed I-485/I-131/I-765 with Chicago CIS Office

11/03/2009: NOA1's Received for I-485/I-131/I-765

11/09/2009: Biometrics Appointment Notice Received for 11/18/2009

11/21/2009: I-485 RFE Received; responded 12/07/09 (Birth Certificate Translation)

12/15/2009: Touched

12/18/2009: Touched

There are many embassy specific tips on the forum. I utilized some tips to make sure my interview did not fall month later. I know we had the interview scheduled before we had everything together. Look for specific tips from recent Packet 3 individuals....I would think you could already begin collecting the Packet 3.5 items.

As far as bank statements, I received a letter from my bank stating that I had an active account for "x" number of years and had deposited "X" amount in the past year and had "x" amount as a current balance. The current balance is not as important as the amount deposited in the past year. I also took bank statements..I was paranoid that if the person on the other side of the window had a bad night the night before my interview they may ask for something "not required'.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

We didnt use bank statements either. As long as you or your co-sponsor meets the income requirements then an employment letter and a few paystubs should suffice.

As for Australia, after receiving the NOA2 packet 3 is sent detailing the list of items that you need to send off to the embassy. If all information/documents required are in order, then they send a packet IV which includes an interview date, procedures on paying for the visa, bring passport, passport pics and a prepaid express post packet which they use to send back your passport including visa as well as the paperwork you need to bring and hand over at the POE.

@ mike & Miche - sorry to hear you're still in AP. Ellie was stuck there for a while as well but eventually got out and now has an interview date set. Hang in there and in the meantime, prepare for packet 3 so as soon as you get out of there you can submit packet 3 (like what Ellie has done :lol: ).

ROC Journey:-

05.11.2012 -- mail I-751 packet

05.14.2012 -- Packet arrived @ VSC

xx.xx.2012 -- Check Cashed

05.15.2012 -- NOA1 dated 05.15.2012

05.31.2012 -- Biometric notice date

06.27.2012 -- Biometrics Taken

01.23.2013 -- Card Production Ordered.

01.28.2013 -- 10 Year Green Card Received

@ Mike and Miche

I'm sorry to hear you are in AP. It is infuriating and just so difficult to come to terms with after spending so much time waiting for that NOA 2.

NVC and the american govt see AP as a necessary step to protect national security so you are unlikely to get any information from them about why you are in AP and how long it can take.

To give you hope, it appears that AP is random. These random security checks seem to only take between 30-50 days. To date no one on the AP thread has been in AP past this time. Use the time constructively. I received packet 3 and sent back the forms on the same day. As a result of this I heard back from the embassy very quickly and it seems minimal processing of the forms I sent back, was carried out. Was this because I had been in AP and they had already had the chance to check me out? I honestly dont know, but what I do know is that I got my interview date before some people who had received their NOA 2 before me and sent back packet 3 weeks ago and they didn't have to endure AP.

Hang in there.

K1

PLEASE SEE MY TIMELINE FOR K1 INFORMATION

AOS complete!

08/21/2009 - AOS package sent

08/28/2009 - NOA 1 for AOS, EAD, AP

08/31/2009 - Cheque cashed

09/05/2009 - Biometrics notice received

09/23/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

09/23/2009 - I-485 Transferred to CSC

10/02/2009 - EAD Approved (card production) & AP approved!

10/11/2009 - EAD Card received

10/20/2009 - AOS approved, GC card production ordered! (53 days in total)

10/26/2009 - Green Card received - nearly 11 months to the day of our K1 NOA 1!

11/25/2009 - Started my new job!

02/26/2010 - Passed my driving test :-p

07/20/2011 - Eligible to remove conditions

2012 - Going for citizenship

09/20/2011 - Removal of conditions submitted to VSC....here we go...again!

It's been a quick and relatively painless journey thanks to tireless research, dumb luck and this community :)

DONE with USCIS for a while :)

mnb0ir.png

Timeline
We didnt use bank statements either. As long as you or your co-sponsor meets the income requirements then an employment letter and a few paystubs should suffice.

As for Australia, after receiving the NOA2 packet 3 is sent detailing the list of items that you need to send off to the embassy. If all information/documents required are in order, then they send a packet IV which includes an interview date, procedures on paying for the visa, bring passport, passport pics and a prepaid express post packet which they use to send back your passport including visa as well as the paperwork you need to bring and hand over at the POE.

@ mike & Miche - sorry to hear you're still in AP. Ellie was stuck there for a while as well but eventually got out and now has an interview date set. Hang in there and in the meantime, prepare for packet 3 so as soon as you get out of there you can submit packet 3 (like what Ellie has done :lol: ).

Thanks for the morale booster. We pretty much have all of the Packet 3 done already. Will probably need to update some of the I-130 financials, but that isnt a big deal. Police certs are the only item from her side, but again, those are fairly easy to obtain since she knows exactly what to get and where.

As someone in here said, this can be a maddening progress. :wacko: So for now, we try to remain busy...I am currently having a new home built for us which should be completed by the time she arrives (we are anticipating 1st week of August; model home pic which we are having built attached). Lots of business travel coming up (Panama, Singapore, Scotland, etc), golf.

Most importantly, we remind ourselves why we are going through this process to begin with...that you truly love each other with such intensity, dedication, commitment to one another. Focus on the good things, and the more difficult stuff, such as the visa process, are only temporary and will be over soon.

I love this site and those who participate. Thanks to everyone for their input and good wishes. I only hope the same for those still tolerating the pre-interview activities.

Remaining villigant and patient....

Mike

post-64013-1242401089_thumb.jpg

04/17/2009: NVC Recv'd Approved K-1 Petition From USCIS; “AP” Advised By Phone (ARGH! All that VSC wait & here we go again !!!!)

11/21/2009: I-485 RFE Received; responded 12/07/09 (Birth Certificate Translation)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

Thanks everyone. I think I am about finished collecting everything on my end now. My fiance has started to get a jump on what he needs before he receives his packet 3. He just realized that he'll have to renew his passport ASAP because it will expire in December and he won't have 6 months left on it when he has his interview, so that is the main mission right now. Hopefully we'll hear something soon and will be able to keep the ball rolling.

We're set for 10 years!!

Timeline

Well, arrived home after a business dinner this evening, called at 1030pm Houston time, made the call Ive made 15 times already...only this time I hear....DOCUMENTS SENT TO THE RIO CONSULATE TODAY !!!!! I couldnt help myself and called her in Rio which is 2 hours ahead. She was so relieved to hear the news....grin.

:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

What a relief. Thanks for everyone's continued support on VJ. As I do each day, hoping for those still waiting to be released soon and your journey is able to continue.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

OK, just popping in to vent frustration, I know I just need more patience. We sent out packet three back to the Hong Kong consulate 3 weeks ago and still no packet four or interview date. We emailed, and called NVC. NVC just says the consulate has sent the packet three and that is all they know. The consulate says they have our packet three, but that they can not estimate the interview date, just wait for the packet 4 for the date.

Maybe since this is the last waiting game it just seems to be moving so so so slowly!!! 7 months since we got our I-129F, I never imagined we would be apart until the summer. It is like we are losing a year of life marking time.

Enough venting, back to reading and tapping my foot with fingers crossed! :)

K-1 Visa

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Hong Kong, China

Fiancé Hometown: Macau

12/01/2007: First met on a blind date at the Federal Dim Sum in Macau

02/06/2008: Engaged!

11/09/2008: Move back to USA from Macau after job transfer

11/19/2008: I-129F Sent

11/21/2008: I-129F NOA1

02/01/2009: Dora 90 day visa waiver expired, she returned to Macau to wait K1

03/27/2009: I-129F NOA2 Email

04/02/2009: I-129F NOA2 Letter in my mailbox

04/05/2009: Letter from NVC advising petition has been sent to Hong Kong Consulate

04/08/2009: Consulate Received

04/16/2009: Packet 3 Received

06/22/2009: Interview

07/07/2009: Placed in Administrative Processing at Hong Kong Embassy

09/18/2009: 2nd Interview at embassy, APPROVED!!!!!!!! (10 months from mailing in I-129F)

**/**/****: US Entry

**/**/****: Marriage

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Mike & Miche: Great news. Congratulations.

just_friend: You're married!!! Congrats.

JeremySioto: I hope that you will get your interview date soon. Taiwan and Hong Kong are close, but it seems that the 2 systems work differently. After we got the NOA2 and a letter saying that the case had been sent to the local consulate, we no longer had to deal with the NVC. I got my packet 3 from the US consulate here in Taiwan as well as the packet 4. And there were less than 10 days apart after I mailed the packet 3 (had collected everything requested) and received packet 4. The interview happened in 2 weeks after packet 3 was sent. Anyway, good luck.

I am leaving for New York tomorrow and be re-united with my fiance. I will come back up to share my POE experience. Bye now.

Well, arrived home after a business dinner this evening, called at 1030pm Houston time, made the call Ive made 15 times already...only this time I hear....DOCUMENTS SENT TO THE RIO CONSULATE TODAY !!!!! I couldnt help myself and called her in Rio which is 2 hours ahead. She was so relieved to hear the news....grin.

:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

What a relief. Thanks for everyone's continued support on VJ. As I do each day, hoping for those still waiting to be released soon and your journey is able to continue.

Edited by bapacker

I-129F Sent : 2008-11-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-11-10

I-129F RFE(s) : no

RFE Reply(s) : no

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-03-13

NVC Received : 2009-03-20

NVC Left : 2009-03-27

Consulate Received : 2009-03-31

Packet 3 Received : 2009-03-31

Medical Exam: 2009-4-10

Packet 3 Mailed: 2009-4-13

Interview:2009-4-28 8:00 am (APPROVED!)

US Entry : 20 of May, 2009

Marriage : 10 of August, 2009

AOS Sent : 2009-08-12

NOA1s Received: 08-21-2009, dated August 18.

Bio Appointment Notice: received 09-02-2009, dated August 26

Bio Appoinment Date: 09-23-2009

AOS case transfered to CSC on 09-11-2009

Tried Walk-in: 09-11-2009 succeded

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

We are finally approved! We received the notice in the mail yesterday with an approval date of May 13th!! I called NVC today and was told that our case was forwarded to London on May 18th! SOOOO HAPPY!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.