idocare

Where's everybody at.......

37 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Singapore
Timeline

Idocare, i remember your ID name. Sorry to hear about how your situation turned out.

Charlie and I got married Sept 4, 2004 and we're scheduled to submit the all-expensive I-751 between end Jan and April of 2007.

I'm wondering how many of you/your spouses (the non-USCs) are thinking of getting American citizenship, especially those who aren't allowed dual citizenship. What factors are you considering?

Hope you're all well!

K1 Visa : Singapore (yeng) /Oregon (charlie)

Nov 12, '03: NOA 1 online

Mar 29, '04: RFE mailed out (139 days)

Apr 01, '04: RFE received in the mail (sent in wrong birth cert!)

Apr 09, '04: Mailed back RFE (Go USPS!!!)

Apr 15, '04: RFE received by USCIS (online)

Apr 28, '04: NOA2!!!! (Charlie received hard copy, online status still not changed) (168 days)

May 10, '04: Letter received from NVC

May 21, '04: Packet received in Singapore from SG Embassy. (191 from NOA1. online status still at reciept of RFE!)

Jun 18, '04: mailed off DS-230 (singapore procedure)

Jun 23, '04: received interview date letter from embassy

Jul 09, '04: Interview - SUCCESS!!

Jul 14, '04: Pick up passport with K1 Visa

Aug 12, '04: Arrive at LAX and clear immigration with ease.

Sep 04, '04: WEDDING!!!!

AOS (Portland, OR)

Oct 28, '04: mailed off AOS, EAD & AP to Portland by Priority Mail

Nov 20, '04: received AP and EAD appt letter for Dec 9.

Dec 09, '04: received EAD at appt (but the fingerprinting done was NOT the biometrics!)

Jan 11, '05: initial AOS interview date but we need to reschedule.

Dec 20, '04: (circa) received letter requesting the $70 for fingerprinting to be done)

Jan 6. '05: received appointment date for fingerprinting on Jan 25. (found out only on the 25th that they WERE going to interview us on the 26th but they didn't send letter out because the officer was going to be away)

Mar 16, '05: AOS interview - FINALLY!

Apr 27, '05: Received temp card (I-551)

May still receiving welcome NOAs (5 so far)

"...testing of your faith produces endurance; and let endurance have its full effect, so that you may be mature and complete, lacking in nothing" ... the Apostle, James

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

We got married on 4 July 2004 but I only got the greencard in September 2005. So we've got some time until we get to submit the I-751 :whistle:

Well, Chris keeps asking when I get US citizenship so that we can move to Europe. He's getting a bit impatient with being stuck in the same place for so long but I'm not really a big fan of moving anyway so I don't care :blush: - got to finish renovating the house first!

I'm amazed actually that I have been here for so long already. I got on that plane exactly 2 years ago!!! :luv:

Hi there,

Me and Irene were married on 1/15/05 in Malaysia and went thru DCF. she got her card about 2 weeks

after arriving in the USA. We will file for removal of conditions in Jan 07. Are walk with UCIS was fairly

smooth.

Irene is getting along ok. she has been working her job in an aircraft maintance facility for about 9 months

now and she has bought her first car. got drivers license and is making friends. All in all things are going

ok. We will be making a trip back to Malaysia in feb 07 for Chinese NY for a visit.

Good luck all

Scott

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Scott & Irene Time Line</span>

I-129F sent to <!--WORD2URL-01--><!--END WORD2URL-01-->NSC<!--WORD2URL-02--><!--END WORD2URL-02--> 3-5-03

I-129F Received <!--WORD2URL-01--><!--END WORD2URL-01-->NSC<!--WORD2URL-02--><!--END WORD2URL-02--> 3-8-03

Ref Received-B-Cert needed 10-1-03

Ref submitted 10-16-03

Approval 2nd notice 10-20-03

Received in Kuala Lumpur 11-03-03

Packet 3 received 11-10-03

Police Certificate requested 11-17-03

Police Certificate Received 01-24-04

Checklist sent to embassy 01-26-04

Sent I-134 packet to Irene 1-29-04

Packet 4 received 2/13/04

Interview 2/24/04-Approval <!--WORD2URL-01--><!--END WORD2URL-01-->K1<!--WORD2URL-02--><!--END WORD2URL-02-->

Arrive Indianapolis 3/11/04

Proposal on March 17

Left Indy 3/30/04

Went to Malacca Malaysia for Marriage on 1/2/05

Marriage on 1/15/05

Filed <!--WORD2URL-01--><!--END WORD2URL-01-->DCF<!--WORD2URL-02--><!--END WORD2URL-02--> I-130 on 1/24/05-Approved

Interview at Kuala Lumpu 3/15/05

VISA Issued 3/16/05

Arrived in USA on 4/22/05.

Social Security card applied for 5-6-05

Green Card received 5-8-05

Social Security Card Received 5-16-5

apply for Removal of Conditions 1/6/07??

Conditions removed in March 2008

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Kurt and I got married August 28, 2004 and I received my AOS approval on December 10, 2004.

I am in the process of gathering documents for filing the I-751 in September.

Even though I came to the U.S. from a country that is almost identical (Canada), I am still finding it difficult to be away from my family and friends, even 2 years later.

We have adjusted to married life well and are enjoying our time together.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Bram and I got married September 2005 oh.. well... that when we want to count anyway... and I got my GC May 2006 and still havnt thought of Lifting condition yet.. (i mean i dont even know when i should do it.. not thinking about it.. tooo tired of paperwork!!)

During our time together we finally able to import our motocycle to the US but we have to have $1500 bond as a premiss that we wil destroy it or export it out after one year. well.. we have no worry now coz our motocycle got stolen.. just like 2 months ago.... all the time and effort oh boy :crying:

We also bought a new car for Bram (his old car was broken) a BMW 530i and I just totaled it last sunday so we had that car for 6 months only :crying: no more Bram's toy!! seems we have a bad luck with automobile :lol:

Well.. I am working part-time (about 35 hrs) and love the people i'm with just that i'm bored here.. all my potential, my degree and my experiences are not used here.. so i'm tempted to find a place that i'd have more responsibility. My salary right now is only enough for our mortgage and the car payment (which we dont have that car anymore) and Bram is self-employ but we are doing great with everthing.. I'm so greatfull everyday i spend with him... we mostly like the same thing and also both of us love to cook so we are both gaining weight.. even my dog gain weight :lol:

I have so much time for myself at work ;) so i have too much time to spend on the internet.. VJ off topic is where mostly am coz there're news and interesting stuff.. i also replay to posts if i know any answer.. but coz i'm so bored here (yea, i'm at work) so seems like i'm online all day :lol:

K-1 = 4 months

AOS = 5 months

I-751 = almost one year

I Love My Life With You

"A society is judged by how it treats its animals and elderly"

Hello, I have been a member on this site for a while, and I enjoyed reading posting from everyone that was waiting for their spouse to get approved around the same time I was and I followed everyones posting about their husbands arriving into the U.S. but now I no longer see many posting from people that got married in the middle or later in the year of 2004. If that's you and you read this posting do let us know how you and your husband are doing and what's going on in your life presently Thanks in advance, Karen

Dear Karen

I'm so sorry to hear about your situation.

I am American and my husband is British. We married in July 2004, DCF'd via London, and arrived in the US on CR-1 Visa in late October 2004. We will be filing our I-751 in just a few weeks.

My husband STILL has not found a full-time job. It took him 9 months of job hunting, interviews, etc., before he was hired in his present position, 2-days a week. It's better than nothing, but I'm REALLY not happy about the situation.

He works in IT - there are a good number of local IT jobs, but it is such a specialized field, and he usually doesn't qualify for the jobs that are out there. Thankfully, I have a great full-time job, but it would be nice if he could start bringing in a full-time income, as well. In the meantime, he's been doing some web development on his own, and is creating some websites for ourselves that will - SOMEDAY - generate us some extra income.

We just bought a small house - a fixer-upper. Have been here a month and love it, all the DIY is great!

We really miss his family from the UK, but his folks holiday in Florida 2-3 times/year, so we get to see them regularly.

We miss so many things about London and the UK in general, but living in our little bungalow on a 1/2 acre lot, sipping our tea every morning on the front porch ... is hard to beat.

Your day is coming, too, Karen. {{hug}}

Denise

Visit my Blog

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
We were married in August 2004, and will be lifting conditions this October. Sadly we've moved from New Jersey to New Mexico, so we'll be going through Texas. (Boo!)

I got my conditions lifted a month (yes, a MONTH) after submitting the I-751, and the 10-year GC in the mail two weeks after the Infopass appointment - despite their warning that it can take up to a year to lift conditions/get the card. Texas seems to be processing REALLY fast right now - way ahead of their published info - and hopefully they'll continue to do so :)

Edited by PrincessDot

10-11-2002 - Married on K-1 visa

06-29-2006 - 10-year GC rec'd

Still married and going strong!

Everything I say is based on my own experience and opinions alone.

I am not a lawyer and nothing here is to be interpreted as legal advice.

I arrived Sept 04 married Oct 04 and got green card Aug 05 so will be filing May 07 (I think - haven't checked as I cant face more immi paperwork)

Cannot believe it is nearly two years that I have been here and have no idea where the time has gone or what we have done with it. Living in the back of beyond :lol: finding any job was hard and at the time incredibly self confidence knocking but eventually got a job at Walmart and I actually enjoy it though it probably isn't my long term plan. Married life is full of ups downs and surprises but we bounce back and are very happy. Lifes curve balls sadly included the death of my mother-in-law and other unforseen events but on the whole I have settled and enjoy life here. I miss England much less than I would ever have imagined (so long as I can lisen to Radio 5) but do miss friends and a good old natter. Like someone else said I too will take US citizenship just to get immigration off my back once and for all but in my heart I will always be British (think its an age thing). Somehow the K-1 journey seems a long time ago but oh so well worth it to be together ......... there are bad days but the trick is always to remember there were bad days back in England too so in truth nothings changed you just pick yourself up dust yourself down and get on with life and all it throws your way.

LifeacrossthePond

Removing Conditions (here we go again)

July 27th I-751 sent to Nebraska

July 30th USPS delivered

Aug 22nd check cashed

Aug 23rd I797C received - case been transferred to California

Aug 29th Biometrics Appt Letter arrived

Sept 12th Biometrics Appt Pittsburgh

Sept 24th email notice of Approval - card ordered !!!!!!

Filed: Timeline

As someone who's wife have gone the removal and is now a citizen, here are a couple reminders.

If you haven't done it yet apply for the unrestricted SSN card before the 2 year I-551 card expires.

Don't start putting things together for the removal petition the week before you are going to submit it. Get a folder now and stuff in there anything you think you might be able to use. You can sort through it when the time comes to pick out the best stuff.

If you haven't done it yet apply for the unrestricted SSN card before the 2 year I-551 card expires.

May be a dumb question but why is this? My card is still the smae one I had since my name changed by marriage (couldn't face another trip to SSN office :lol::lol: )

LifeacrossthePond

Removing Conditions (here we go again)

July 27th I-751 sent to Nebraska

July 30th USPS delivered

Aug 22nd check cashed

Aug 23rd I797C received - case been transferred to California

Aug 29th Biometrics Appt Letter arrived

Sept 12th Biometrics Appt Pittsburgh

Sept 24th email notice of Approval - card ordered !!!!!!

Filed: Timeline

May be a dumb question but why is this? My card is still the smae one I had since my name changed by marriage (couldn't face another trip to SSN office :lol::lol: )

Because at some point your 2 year I-551 card will be expired and you have a restricted SSN card, so then you have to make an INFOPASS appointment and take the NOA from the I-751 to get an I-551 stamp to give you some proof of work authorization and that stamp is only go for a year, so if you don't have your 10 year card by then you have to do it again. The unrestricted SSN card can be used as work authorization and it never expires.

One thing I should add DO NOT DO NOT let the SSA office have your old card until you get the new one. Say the dog ate it. LOL You don't have to give it up no matter what they say.

Tell them to read RM 00201.080 B2

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
We got married in June 2006, got green card in February 2006 and we are waiting to lift the conditional GC this November. Sometimes we drop by to see what's happening and how everybody's doing...giving advices if necessary...Thanks to this website, we can learn from each other's experiences for mutual benefits.

Umm .. you are not eligible to lift conditions until November 07.

Edited by zyggy

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

We got married in June 2006, got green card in February 2006 and we are waiting to lift the conditional GC this November. Sometimes we drop by to see what's happening and how everybody's doing...giving advices if necessary...Thanks to this website, we can learn from each other's experiences for mutual benefits.

Umm .. you are not eligible to lift conditions until November 07.

pssst....typos? check the timeline.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline

The wife and I were married in March 2004. My wife's successful AoS interview was in February 2005. For some odd reason my (then 19 year old) stepdaughter's AoS interview was scheduled on a different date in March 2005. So I will be filing my wife's I-751 in November of this year and my stepdaughter's I-751 in December.

It has been a great vacation from US-CIS since AoS was approved. It is my sincerest hope that conditions will be lifted without any major problems.

I'll probably be spending more time in this section of VJ as the filing dates get closer. I'm sure I will have some questions.

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan (D-TX)

Testimony to the House Immigration Subcommittee, February 24, 1995

The wife and I were married in March 2004. My wife's successful AoS interview was in February 2005. For some odd reason my (then 19 year old) stepdaughter's AoS interview was scheduled on a different date in March 2005. So I will be filing my wife's I-751 in November of this year and my stepdaughter's I-751 in December.

I *think* that because your wife's and stepdaughter's green cards were granted less than 90 days apart, your stepdaughter can be included on your wife's I-751. If I were you I'd check that out--you may very well save the $205.

It's only if hers were granted more than 90 days after your wife's that she'd need a separate application.

ETA: Yes, here it is: http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/remcond.htm

If your child received conditional resident status within 90 days of when you did, then your child may be included in your application to remove the conditions on permanent residence. Your child must file a separate application if your child received conditional resident status more than 90 days after you did.

Edited by sparkofcreation

Bethany (NJ, USA) & Gareth (Scotland, UK)

-----------------------------------------------

01 Nov 2007: N-400 FedEx'd to TSC

05 Nov 2007: NOA-1 Date

28 Dec 2007: Check cashed

05 Jan 2008: NOA-1 Received

02 Feb 2008: Biometrics notice received

23 Feb 2008: Biometrics at Albuquerque ASC

12 Jun 2008: Interview letter received

12 Aug 2008: Interview at Albuquerque DO--PASSED!

15 Aug 2008: Oath Ceremony

-----------------------------------------------

Any information, opinions, etc., given by me are based entirely on personal experience, observations, research common sense, and an insanely accurate memory; and are not in any way meant to constitute (1) legal advice nor (2) the official policies/advice of my employer.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.