raphandarrin

Parallel parking?

48 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
It's not a good thing to generalize, you know.
Isn't THAT a generalization?

Can't it be a good thing to generalize at least some of the time?

For example - you're walking in the woods and you see a big bear standing in the middle of the trail munching on the body of another trail goer. Wouldn't it be prudent to generalize wild bears as being dangerous, and consider reversing your course rather than continuing toward the bear?

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

It was in regards to the topic at hand. It's not good to generalize and say that nobody can get places or go grocery shopping because they don't have a car. That's incorrect. Same with sayint that you have to parallel park in order to get your driver's license. That's also in corrent in many cases, many cities and many states.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
And I'm not being rude to you. I was just trying to tell you that were on the same boat. Even if you live here for over a year., and yes definitely in my opinion you can't be a successful citizen if you can't parralel park. I may be stupid to you. but for a reason that if you can't parrallel park there is no way you can get your driver's license and therefore you can't drive unless you may want to just ride a bus. and be a successful citizen just by riding a bus? And having an excuse that you can't do parrallel parking that's why.

I'm sorry but I cant help it :bonk: What's wrong with riding a bus? Why cant people who ride bus be or have anything to do with being a successful citizen? :lol: Just curious.

To the OP..

Practice make perfect.. I was driving when I lived in Bangkok and I was an expert in parallel parking then (and it was a very very tight space) but since I live here, there's so much space and I got spoiled :blush: now I still can parallel park but I'm not as good anymore.

Other people gave you some nice tip.. practice! and good luck!

well here in US., without having a vehicle you can't go places that easy. you have to wait for somebody to pick u up, ride a bus, a cab,and transportation here is limited by hours. For instance if you need to go to a store at 2 am, there's no bus you have to pay more money to ride a cab. As you can see, having your own car is that important here. Well in the first place you have a car right?, so you know the convenience of owning one. So goodluck if you choose to ride a bus and be successful with it. :blink::blink:

Pechez,

I understand what you wanted to say but I think you are a bit confused with the term "successful citizen" with the word "convenient". It is definately more convenient to have your own way of transportation in a lot of places in the US. :star:

Being a successful citizen simply means that you are a good citizen/resident of the place you live in. Be riding a bus or drive your own car. And you can argue about how to be “good” or “successful” but I don’t think it’s relevant here.

But of course having my own car in my town is a lot more convenient. I ride my bike too though and would ride scooter if we decide to buy one. I rather have a scooter out here.. really since I don’t even need a license to ride one! :devil:

But if you go to the place like NYC, it makes more sense to use public transportation because the traffic and parking space. But it doesn’t mean you cant own a car.. it’s just more convenient to use public transportation to get around in the city.

It's not a good thing to generalize, you know.
Isn't THAT a generalization?

Can't it be a good thing to generalize at least some of the time?

For example - you're walking in the woods and you see a big bear standing in the middle of the trail munching on the body of another trail goer. Wouldn't it be prudent to generalize wild bears as being dangerous, and consider reversing your course rather than continuing toward the bear?

:lol:

K-1 = 4 months

AOS = 5 months

I-751 = almost one year

I Love My Life With You

"A society is judged by how it treats its animals and elderly"

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I am in Cali and when I took the test I didn't have to parallel park.. the lady just asked me to park on the side of the street... but there were no other cars around...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

My whole family got tested for parrallel parking including all my friends from new york, new jersey, connecticut,and cali and including all the people I know. Which comes more than 100 people.And based on our washington state driver licensing its their part of their requirements. Is it just a coincidence that all of us got tested for parrallel parking? which means all of those states mentioned are wrong?

:lol: Well, that's great that you asked all 100 people to see if they all had to parallel park in order to get their driver's license. I still don't buy it though. Like I said in my previous comment, it's not done all the time and it's being tested less and less. Well, besides for all 100 of your family members.

And no, there is absolutely nothing wrong with riding the bus to get places. I know plenty of people who do it, many of them by choice and they are completely fine with it.

It's not a good thing to generalize, you know. :no:

Diana

Well it's good to know that some other people are willing to ride a bus. Thats good for u & good for them. I'm happy for u guy's who choose to ride a bus than having there own vehicle. I think that really make very good sense. Good luck to all the bus lover's.

K3 process sent in june 2007

03/03/2008- INTERVIEW....... NSO sent documents for documentation

04/09/2008- visa approved!!!!!!

04/11/2008- visa in hand

04/14/2008- cfo stamp

04/23/2008- Leaving for seattle via china airlines!!!!!!!!

AOS

7/31/08- submit I-485, I-765

8/02/08- received in chicago lockbox

8/15/08- received receipt notice for I-485 andI-765 in the mail with notice date Aug 11

8/25/08- received biometrics letter with post stamp dated Aug 19

9/10/08- BIOMETRICS at USCIS Seattle 8 am!!!!!DONE!!!

11/7/08- EAD card production ordered yeheyyyyy!!!!!

11/14/08- EAD in mail

11/20/08- applied for ssn

12/04/08- ssn received.... time to go job hunting!!!!

01/26/09- first day of work

02/04/09- received letter for the initial interview

03/12/09- interview in Seattle at 1pm....... APPROVED!!!!---- 10 yr greencard!!!!!

03/16/09- received Welcome to the United States notice

03/18/09- GC Card Production ordered!!!!

03/25/09- Approval notice sent

03/27/09- Green card received!!! Expires 3/18/2019

Naturalization...........

07/05/2012- filed n400 phoenix arizona (local office seattle)

07/112012-Noa 1

08/09/2012-Biometrics appointment done!

08/27/2012-Interview notice sent

09/26/2012-Interview day at 2pm APPROVED!!!

09/26/2012-OATH TAKING DONE! (same day)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nepal
Timeline
Guys, I failed my driving test here coz I can't parallel park, ok, say it's coz I'm a girl lol

But sorry, I can't!What bugs my mind is that we live in a city that has more parking spots than actual people living around and I've never even seen a spot that you need to park like this.Did you need to do that in your driving tests too?

I think it's completely unnecessary considering there's no need to parallel park ANYWHERE in the city, so why would they ask me to?That kindda sux, hubby tried to teach me but I can't say I learned nor that I'm any good at it lol, so what to do?I don't wanna fail again, do you think it varies between different branches, coz there are a bunch of them here that I can try, I'm not sure if the lady asks everyone to do so, or if it was just me, coz she was a b!atch from the beginning talking about Mexicans and such like I have anything to do with them or illegal immigrants, maybe I just got a lady that hated foreigners and wanted a reason to fail me?Or is it really required?I really don't wanna have to do it, specially coz I don't need to do parallel park anywhere.Please let me know if it was any different from yours!

Yes, Parallel parking is required in the driving test. I failed also the driving test because of parallel parking.. It is a requirement..

jamesfiretrucksg2.th.jpgthpix.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Again when it comes to the test, it all depends where you take the exam and who gives it, not always a requirement

But one should know how to parallel park, makes life so much easier,lol. have a friend back in Canada, that cant parallel park (or drive that matter,lol) and is it ever frustrating to go anywhere with him when he drives, as their can be close parking spots, but since he can't parallel park, we end up parking in the distance,lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Again when it comes to the test, it all depends where you take the exam and who gives it, not always a requirement

But one should know how to parallel park, makes life so much easier

:yes:

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
I remember the first time I parallel parked. Very first time. It was some HUGE ### car with a trunk you could put a Prius in. I got it in the spot just as easy as pie - on the first try. The instructor even said, "damn - that's a real nice parking job son."

Parallel parking just ain't that hard.

If you can't manage an easy, very slow speed maneuver like parallel parking, I definitely don't think you should be permitted to drive a few thousand pounds of metal around at highway speeds.

Genius alert! Genius alert!

The examiner didn't ask either my husband or me to parallel park during our tests in Connecticut earlier this year. I'm pretty hopeless at it myself, but since I live out in the 'burbs it's not really an issue for me.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I do not recall having to parallel park for my California driver's license. However, I do believe this is a highly desirable skill to have for a driver. Part of the reason parallel parking can be so difficult is because it's mentally daunting to squeeze a car into a space with little leeway on either side.

Being able to parallel park can be a way to demonstrate familiarity with how to maneuver your car. In other words, if you can parallel park, you're probably pretty familiar with how the car reacts in reverse when turning the wheel one direction versus another. Even if you never need to parallel park, possessing this knowledge, in my opinion, is very important! It demonstrates that you have command and control of your vehicle.

I'm sure with a little practice, you'll pass it! I know it's daunting, but you'll pick it up!

Edited by LuckyDucky

I did a parallel park when I had my road test but with cones only :lol:

God is Great .. God is good... all the time..

N_-400

12/13/2010- SEnt The packet

12/22/2010- The packet was returned due to missing page.

12/23/2010- Resend the packet with complete pages.

12/29/2010- Check cashed in

01/03/2010- Receive NOA

01/10/2011- Email from USCIS for the Required Evidence( Finger printing)

01/26/2011-Biometric Schedule

02/07/2011-USCIS online status update-

02/12/2011- Received Interview Letter Scheduled March 14

02/12/2011- Received Descheduled letter

02/17/2011- USCIS online Status update

02/22/2011-New IL arrived schedule for March 29

02/22/2011-Descheduled Letter Again ( 2nd Time)

02/23/2011- I called USCIS and I was told new schedule in the computer for March 22

02/23/2011-USCIS ONline update....

03/01/2011-Interview Letter for March 22 @ 7:15 AM

03/22/2011- Interview and Oath; US Citizen

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I failed my first test in the UK because I hit the kerb parallel parking. I still can't do it even after three years of parallel parking down some side street when I went to university.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
I'm sorry but I cant help it :bonk: What's wrong with riding a bus? Why cant people who ride bus be or have anything to do with being a successful citizen? :lol: Just curious.

:lol: I wish I had a choice.... some places there is none! Back in the UK I rode the bus and never felt like an unsuccessful UK citizen! Doesn't make sense...

After reading how many people were required to parallel park in their driving tests, it makes me understand a little better why people here in Ohio suck so much at driving. My test was.... drive through cones, reverse through cones, drive round the block. Stop at stop signs. And voila, you've passed!

I've never had to parallel park here but I was taught in the UK and had to all the time living in Brussels.

OP, practise makes perfect! You can do it, just keep trying and before you know it you'll be parking like a pro. It's not difficult once you've figured out your markers and when to turn the wheel which way. Good luck!

We're not talking about UK here! You're country is different from US. Transportation here is difficult without your own vehicle. how can you work., go grocery shopping or go just about anywhere anytime you like without waiting for the bus schedule, taxi, or wait for somebody to pick u up. Does it make sense to you now?

Wow perhaps I am reading too much into your lovely answer there but I am aware that the US and the UK are different. I live in Ohio for crying out loud, public transport is pretty much nonexistent. So YES, thank you, that does make sense to me.

And to answer your previous post, in the UK you couldn't get a bus at 2am to go to the grocery store either.

It may surprise you that SOME places in the US DO have public transport, just not in hicksville where I, and apparently you, live.

But just FYI, I'm sure there are plenty of people on VJ who live in cities and rely on public transport who do not appreciate being called unsuccessful citizens. Does it make sense to YOU now?

Edited by catrocks

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.