27 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I drove a lot in Canada, but I walked my dog a mile every am and pm. We really miss our outdoors walks. Even though we're in the country, I have to drive 10 miles to find somewhere to walk other than the highway. Lately I've been tresspassing and walking in the woods across the highway from us. I'm afraid of getting caught though.

I really miss walking. It's one of the problems I have with where I live.

I had a laugh at the New Yorkers whining about the transit strike when I realized they were complaining about walking a few blocks that were the equivalent of less than a mile.

LOL oh yeah, my husband say driving and wasting like this is the American way.

Edited by daisy16

Heading Home!

Naturalization

Feb 28/2011 - sent paperwork

Mar 3/11 - received text & email notification - they have it!

Mar 15/11 - text, email, and notice sent - biometrics booked

April 12/11 - biometrics done - I start studying

May - get the letter

June 27 - Interview and oath ceremony - same day

Lifting Conditions

Feb 5/08 - Sent paperwork by USPS - priority

Feb 14/08 - NOA issued

Feb 28/08 - Biometrics letter received for The Bronx Office - have to reschedule

Mar 22/08 - Biometrics rescheduled - LOVE the Saturday appointment!

Feb ?/09 - done!

I'M HIGHLY OPINIONATED WHEN I WANT TO BE, BUT I NEVER SAID I WAS RIGHT

i just generally hate driving here... to get to the supermarket you need to get on and off 2 interstates.. now i drove a lot at home but never did get used to freeways and whatnot... merging here sucks too.. no slowing and creeping in when you can here... oh but the worst, the WORST! is the backwardness of the signs, at least in comparison to at home. for example, instead of left on red when posted, here it's right on red always unless it's posted. what the hell? but that rule changes so quickly.. as soon as i venture outta md and into dc it's completely different. i know how i'll eventually die.

"So they met on Tuesday at the town hall steps

To get an eight by ten photo and a wedding date set

We might as well do it next week

'cause we've met everybody that we're ever gonna meet

He's dad is a nut, he's ex-girl is a #######

But he'll be yours forever if you just get it together.

If we can't get it together, if we can't get it together

Is it ever gonna be just you and me?"

i just generally hate driving here... to get to the supermarket you need to get on and off 2 interstates.. now i drove a lot at home but never did get used to freeways and whatnot... merging here sucks too.. no slowing and creeping in when you can here... oh but the worst, the WORST! is the backwardness of the signs, at least in comparison to at home. for example, instead of left on red when posted, here it's right on red always unless it's posted. what the hell? but that rule changes so quickly.. as soon as i venture outta md and into dc it's completely different. i know how i'll eventually die.

Well thank you for THOSE nightmares :wacko:

;)

Applied for K1

Met online 2001 - just aquaintances

Sept 2002 - 1st US visit - everything goes perfectly.

Dec 20th - Forms recev'd at CSC

Dec 27th - NOA1 received by snail mail!

Dec 29th - 'Touched'

March 10 2006 - NOA2!

March 23 - recv'd at NVC

March 24 - petition sent to London

April 9th - Pkt 3 rec'd!

May 17th - Pkt 3 signed for at London Embassy

May 24th - Medical

May24th - Pkt 4

June 14th - Interview 10am - APPROVED 1pm!!

June 16th - Visas received in my hot little hands 1pm :)

July 19th - flying to US!

July 27th - Married!! :-)

Aug 7th - Applied for SSN in married name

Aug 9th - SSN received

uk.gif1273.gifusa.gif

3dflagsdotcom_uk_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

I'm not a lawyer I just have opinions on everything :)

animated flags from http://3dflags.com

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

*shrug* Best answer to not having to drive is move to a city...it's just not feasible to put decent public transportation into every small town across this nation. That's why we live in a big city, don't have a car, don't need one for daily life, and don't have any immediate plans for getting one. It's easy to say public transportation is so great in the UK or any other relatively small country, when those countries are the size of an average state in the U.S. When the U.S. becomes as densely populated as some European countries, maybe there can be buses and trains that are convenient for everyone...but it's a double edged sword...because then we lose so much of the wide open spaces people love... :unsure:

Edited by Frances

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Very true frances. :yes:

Heading Home!

Naturalization

Feb 28/2011 - sent paperwork

Mar 3/11 - received text & email notification - they have it!

Mar 15/11 - text, email, and notice sent - biometrics booked

April 12/11 - biometrics done - I start studying

May - get the letter

June 27 - Interview and oath ceremony - same day

Lifting Conditions

Feb 5/08 - Sent paperwork by USPS - priority

Feb 14/08 - NOA issued

Feb 28/08 - Biometrics letter received for The Bronx Office - have to reschedule

Mar 22/08 - Biometrics rescheduled - LOVE the Saturday appointment!

Feb ?/09 - done!

I'M HIGHLY OPINIONATED WHEN I WANT TO BE, BUT I NEVER SAID I WAS RIGHT

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Being a pedestrian in the US sucks! I would walk to the store sometimes (about 1 mile) and one occasion I was nearly run over at an intersection. Drivers just don't watch for pedestrians (of course, there are none!).

Well, anyway I was at an intersection waiting for my signal to cross. The right on red is allowed, so what do drivers do? Of course, the look left for any on-coming traffic! And totally ignore me on the right. That's what that driver was doing, and as my signal changed and I started crossing, she started moving and making a right (into me). I got so pissed I kicked her car pretty hard.

Since then I always make sure that the driver sees me before I start to cross.

09-02-2005 Applications for AOS, EAD, and AP received by MSC

10-21-2005 AOS fingerprint notice for 12-08-2005

11-07-2005 AP approved

12-05-2005 Infopass appt at San Jose office for interim EAD -- Refused, because it is already approved by MSC on 11-07-2005

12-07-2005 Attempt at interim EAD at San Francisco office -- no go. Back to San Jose, where CSO (chief station officer) tells they will contact MSC via email to request permission to issue interim EAD

12-08-2005 Biometrics for AOS and EAD. Having no EAD appt letter was no problem (used EAD NOA)

12-15-2005 EAD arrived in the mail

12-24-2005 Received interview letter; interview scheduled 03-01-2006

01-28-2006 Received replacement SSN card in married name (5 wks since application)

03-01-2006 AOS interview -- approved; received stamp in the passport

03-13-2006 Green card arrived in the mail

---

Filing for removal of conditions

Very true frances. :yes:

Agreed.

I just wish the roads were safer for pedestrians/bikers. I love riding my bike but I seem to freak out every other driver on the road. :huh:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline
*shrug* Best answer to not having to drive is move to a city...it's just not feasible to put decent public transportation into every small town across this nation. That's why we live in a big city, don't have a car, don't need one for daily life, and don't have any immediate plans for getting one. It's easy to say public transportation is so great in the UK or any other relatively small country, when those countries are the size of an average state in the U.S. When the U.S. becomes as densely populated as some European countries, maybe there can be buses and trains that are convenient for everyone...but it's a double edged sword...because then we lose so much of the wide open spaces people love... :unsure:

That makes sense.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

I LOVE to drive. I absolutely do! To a grocery store or whatever - I LOVE it!!! I didn't drive in Russia - I'm from Moscow, and we had all kinds of public transportation there, and besides, all the important stores were within a walking distance. I didn't mind doing that, but now that I've learnt to drive, I definitely prefer driving. Public transportation is awful in San Jose area, it's absolutely not an option to get around by bus. However, I used to do some walking here, because I like walking just as I do driving (maybe a tad less...), especially to my fitness club, but well, it's only 2 blocks away... :)

08/24/2005 - Arrived in the U.S. as an F-1 student.

01/25/2006 - Married my LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

***AOS***

08/29/2006 - Medical

09/13/2006 - Package sent to Chicago

09/15/2006 - Package received in Chicago

09/23/2006 - Checks cashed

09/25/2006 - NOA for I-130, AOS and EAD

09/26/2006 - All forms touched

10/05/2006 - I-130 and EAD touched

10/10/2006 - I-130 and EAD touched again

10/10/2006 - RFE for AOS (email). Grrr...

10/11/2006 - RFE received. It's for I-864...

.png

I'm going to Houston. Probably the biggest urban sprawl city of any of them. The sidewalks have a lot of unevenness. So if you don't watch where you're going you'll bump into a raised part of the sidewalk and trip. Supposedly from subsidence. But I think the people who built the sidewalks just cheaped out. I tend to walk in parking lots next to the sidewalk instead.

One nice thing about the city is it has HUGE parking lots everywhere you go. Parking is not an issue and generally free.

I actually quite enjoy walking in Houston. There are no zoning bylaws, so people can build anything anywhere. This makes for an interesting mix of businesses in any general area. You never know what to expect when you're out sight seeing.

Edited by Texanadian

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I'm going to Houston. Probably the biggest urban sprawl city of any of them. The sidewalks have a lot of unevenness. So if you don't watch where you're going you'll bump into a raised part of the sidewalk and trip. Supposedly from subsidence. But I think the people who built the sidewalks just cheaped out. I tend to walk in parking lots next to the sidewalk instead.

One nice thing about the city is it has HUGE parking lots everywhere you go. Parking is not an issue and generally free.

I actually quite enjoy walking in Houston. There are no zoning bylaws, so people can build anything anywhere. This makes for an interesting mix of businesses in any general area. You never know what to expect when you're out sight seeing.

Houston is awesome.. my husband's company was cleaning office down there and sent my hubby down there to finish it off.. and they sent me down with him! Which was nice because it was only a few days after we got married so it was a pseudo honeymoon.. so we had to work a little bit we still had time off and we got everything paid for!! (car hotel etc.. lol) it was nice.. :-)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.