27 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

OK, this is all anticipatory whining since we haven't even filed yet, but...

I fear one adjustment only. And I might not have been afraid of it if my fella weren't so afraid of it on my behalf and constantly bringing it up....

Driving everywhere.

Not that I can't drive, but I am used to walking everywhere. I'm an urban girl, and I have everything I could possibly need within three blocks of my home. Bank, starbucks, ethnic food, liquor stores, gym, grocers, movie theatre, even an upscale sex shop! But I don't have my honey.

I will adjust, but it will be annoying to have to pull out of the driveway and go find a mall to get some cream for my coffee.

My sister lives in the US, and when I visit her, I feel like I am a prisoner in her car. We even hit a drive-thru to do her banking!! :)

I guess it all depends on where you live. Not everyone is in the suburbs!

Edited by hockeygal

04/13/06 - I-129F mailed

04/18/06 - NOA1

08/30/06 - NOA2

09/26/06 - received at NVC

09/27/06 - forwarded to consulate

20/11/06 - visa in my pocket!

14/01/07 - POE

13/04/07 - marriage

27/04/07 docs sent in for AOS, EAD, AP

26/06/07 - biometrics appointment

02/17/07 - AP and EAD arrive

03/03/08 - Infopass - where the heck is my AOS interview?? No one knows!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

My guy just moved here yesterday (MY GOD!!!) and that was a huge consideration for us too. So, the last time he was here to visit, we looked at apartments together and chose the place he would be most comfortable. We are on the canal in Indianapolis, it's a great place because the canal is all pedestrianized, and he will be able to walk to all different places downtown using sidewalks.

I know that this will vary based on where you are, but i think the least the USC can do is consider how the non-USC will feel in terms of being able to get around anywhere until they get a license/car (cuz that can take some time!)

Try to find an agreement and locale that works best for both of you. both sides really have to make concessions in this area.

Sept 26- mailed I129F from the UK

Oct 04- NSC receives Petition

Oct 7- Check cashed, we're in the system!

Oct 12- NOA1 receivedl

Oct 21- NOA2 RECEIVED! (email)!! yeah baby, yeah!!!!

Oct 25 NSC ships application to NVC...really rolling now...

Nov 4- NVC ships case to Dublin!!

Nov. 24- Packet 3 received

Dec. 8- Packet 3 materials mailed to Embassy

Dec. 13- Medical in Cork

January 27, 2006- The Interview- SUCCESS!

Feb. 7- He arrived in America- welcome home sweetie!!

Feb. 8- legally married at the Indianapolis clerk's office

Feb. 25- Mailed AOS, EAD, and AP to Chicago lockbox (packet weighed 2.6 pounds!), rec'd Feb. 27

Mar. 6- Received NOAs for I485 and I765, rejection for I131 (incorrect payment). I485 has wrong A#.

Mar. 7- Resubmitted I131

Mar. 14- NOA for I131

April 1, 2006- our Wedding with family and friends in Michigan!!

April 14- Biometrics appointment in Indianapolis

April 25- received Advance Parole

June 19- AOS interview, Indianapolis--APPROVED

June 30- GREEN CARD ARRIVES!!!

me too...especially in rural areas..very relaxing :yes:

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I hadn't thought about it that much, until he kept bringing it up as a concern.

He lives in a small city, in a suburb type area. A nice place, and I'll be very happy to be there with him. I am just not used to the concept of not being able to walk everywhere... I guess I'll invest in a treadmill or something!

And congratulations ddurkin - on being together finally!

04/13/06 - I-129F mailed

04/18/06 - NOA1

08/30/06 - NOA2

09/26/06 - received at NVC

09/27/06 - forwarded to consulate

20/11/06 - visa in my pocket!

14/01/07 - POE

13/04/07 - marriage

27/04/07 docs sent in for AOS, EAD, AP

26/06/07 - biometrics appointment

02/17/07 - AP and EAD arrive

03/03/08 - Infopass - where the heck is my AOS interview?? No one knows!

I too hate driving everywhere and avoid it like the plague. I'm not sure what kind of area it is, but have you considered bikes? We live in a very small city and it's over a mile away to get to a decent store so we cycle there. Of course, when it comes around to the winter and a couple of feet of snow we can't bike, but if the mood takes us we ski there, on the sidewalks and cross country!

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I love driving too! I dont know what i'd do without my car even though it is 20 years old.. lol.. I'd probably go crazy... But i grew up in the middle of nowhere and going anywhere meant taking a car, so i'm pretty used to it now.. and we still live miles away from anything.. and on a busy road that i'm not sure i'd dare bike down!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

This was a huge adjustment for me too! I lived in Toronto my whole life and never owned a car. Fortunately we were able to buy a second car after I moved. Now I drive 40 minutes each way to work, which is the same time it took me on the subway in Toronto. I miss being able to walk to stores, but I don't mind the driving as much as I expected to.

City living was not an option for us, and we love where we live but we definitely need 2 cars here.

I have learned to enjoy driving, but I prefer being a passenger when I have a choice.

This is still something I HATE!! I'm from London so walked, took the tube, or got a bus everywhere. Here there is no public transport at all and it is impossible to get anywhere without a car. At home I could walk to a supermarket, bank, bakery....pretty much anything I wanted. You just cant do that here. Drive thru everything!! Drive thru tobacco store, bank, deli...you name it. It's so unhealthy, no wonder I've gained weight. :cry:

I guess I'm a city girl at heart & hubby LOVED London and our recent trip to Chicago, so perhaps I'll get the country boy out of him yet and haul him to a big city to live. :)

AOS TIMELINE

16th December 2005 - Sent I-130, AOS, EAD & AP USPS overnight to Chicago Lockbox

18th December 2005 - Received at Chicago 9.18pm.

23rd December 2005 - NOAs for I-130, AOS, EAD, AP!! Didn't expect them that quickly

13th January 2006 - RFE for Medical and additional I-864 info

17th January 2006 - INFOPASS Apt about RFE.

23rd January 2006 - Appointment notice for Biometrics on 10th Feb.

10th February 2006 - Biometrics Appointment

21st February 2006 - Medical. Cost $250 including all blood tests, Td Shot, TB test and Titers for MMR and Varicella.

27th February 2006 - Appointment with immigration lawyer re. RFE for I-864.

1st March 2006 - Final results Medical. Papers in hand to send.

10th March 2006 - RFE responses to Lees Summit

13th March 2006 - RFE responses signed for at Lees Summit

24th March 2006 - Emergency AP approved in Omaha

28th March 2006- Collected AP

31st March 2006 - EAD Approval online

7th April 2006 - EAD arrived in mailbox.

21st April 2006- Received Interview Date for 22nd June

9th May 2006- Received SSN

22nd June 2006- AOS INTERVIEW APPROVED

REMOVING CONDITIONS

June 20 2008 - Package mailed to CSC under new rules. Would have been an NSC transfer

June 23 2008 - Package recieved at CSC

June 27 2008 - Recieve NOA1

July 16 2008 - Biometrics

July 17 2008 - Touched

September 9 2008 - Card production ordered

ktun and OP - agree with the sentiment - that worries me as right now I walk all over the place - even not bothering with a bus for some journeys under a mile (and when Im not in lazy mode, lol).

I'll be living on the backside of nowhere (in comparison to being RIGHT on the doorstep of London), where there are no buses, no taxies and in many cases, no sidewalks..

Walking is part of the way I keep in shape so yeah I'm dreading it as well..

Applied for K1

Met online 2001 - just aquaintances

Sept 2002 - 1st US visit - everything goes perfectly.

Dec 20th - Forms recev'd at CSC

Dec 27th - NOA1 received by snail mail!

Dec 29th - 'Touched'

March 10 2006 - NOA2!

March 23 - recv'd at NVC

March 24 - petition sent to London

April 9th - Pkt 3 rec'd!

May 17th - Pkt 3 signed for at London Embassy

May 24th - Medical

May24th - Pkt 4

June 14th - Interview 10am - APPROVED 1pm!!

June 16th - Visas received in my hot little hands 1pm :)

July 19th - flying to US!

July 27th - Married!! :-)

Aug 7th - Applied for SSN in married name

Aug 9th - SSN received

uk.gif1273.gifusa.gif

3dflagsdotcom_uk_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

I'm not a lawyer I just have opinions on everything :)

animated flags from http://3dflags.com

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

We are going to live on a farm in nowhere land - no way without a car. I like riding my bicycle with Henry in the trailer behind me and will go on little rides to the dam and woods whenever I can. We are glad they closed the woods up there for cutting this year - no huge wood trucks on the road anymore. Going to "town" is 11 miles down the road, maybe to fare with the bike for the foodstore. We just go with the truck and buy stuff for two weeks at a time.

I will miss the rides and walks for sure...

08/10/2009 - sent off I-751 to CA service center

08/16/2009 - check cashed

08/28/2009 - received NOA1

09/11/2009 - biometrics in Portland

03/30/2010 - done for the next 10 years.............

I have been driving for 20 years in the UK, cant say i love to drive, its ok!! but i prefer to walk, in england people walk all over the place i prefer to walk, where i live in Michigan the shops are about 400-500 meters away and people are like :o she walks to the store..................well yeah its across the road, my brother inlaw stopped me the other day as i walked to the shop to get bread, he said :o where you going, i said to da shop :unsure: he said, get in i'll give you a lift!!....................hahahahaha um i said NO its just there :huh: , Mark my hubby drives to the shop!!!!

Amanda-England (Yorkshire)- Mark-USA(Michigan)

April/04/2005- Visa journey began!!

We did both K3 & CR1 visa's, got both!!- I returned to England for my CR1 interview after first arriving on a K3 visa!!

May/25th 2006- Green card arrives in the mail................YAY!!

19th June 2006 I Had to go to the Social Security Office to get my number, the DS-230 didnt work for me!!

26-June-2006- Social Security# arrived in the mail....YAY!!

Feb 2008 lift conditions <<<reminder to self!!<<<< went to England for a visit instead, no rush right, 90 days is a long time,LOL

Removing Conditions Begins

Mailed I-751 April 12th 2008

signed for @ NSC April 16th

NOA date April 16th

Conditional GC expired May 5th 2008

Biometrics Detroit May 10th 2008

10 year Green card ordered August 20th 2008

Citizenship any time from feb 2009

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

It's something that you'll get used to... it's easy to get fat and lazy! One of the reasons I like this apartment is because our church is three blocks away and the library is opposite it. I've told my husband that if/when we move from this apartment it HAS to be to some place where I can walk to the grocery store - I don't drive and it's hard to be dependent...

Karen - Melbourne, Australia/John - Florida, USA

- Proposal (20 August 2000) to marriage (19 December 2004) - 4 years, 3 months, 25 days (1,578 days)

STAGE 1 - Applying for K1 (15 September 2003) to K1 Approval (13 July 2004) - 9 months, 29 days (303 days)

STAGE 2A - Arriving in US (4 Nov 2004) to AOS Application (16 April 2005) - 5 months, 13 days (164 days)

STAGE 2B - Applying for AOS to GC Approval - 9 months, 4 days (279 days)

STAGE 3 - Lifting Conditions. Filing (19 Dec 2007) to Approval (December 11 2008)

STAGE 4 - CITIZENSHIP (filing under 5-year rule - residency start date on green card Jan 11th, 2006)

*N400 filed December 15, 2011

*Interview March 12, 2012

*Oath Ceremony March 23, 2012.

ALL DONE!!!!!!!!

This is still something I HATE!! I'm from London so walked, took the tube, or got a bus everywhere. Here there is no public transport at all and it is impossible to get anywhere without a car. At home I could walk to a supermarket, bank, bakery....pretty much anything I wanted. You just cant do that here. Drive thru everything!! Drive thru tobacco store, bank, deli...you name it. It's so unhealthy, no wonder I've gained weight. :cry:

I guess I'm a city girl at heart & hubby LOVED London and our recent trip to Chicago, so perhaps I'll get the country boy out of him yet and haul him to a big city to live. :)

I TOTALLY understand!

I'm from a small beach town in Italy and I'm used to walking all the time, everywhere...and I miss it SO much here!

I took my driver's license in Italy 5 years ago and only drove twice! I really hate driving and I'm dreading the moment I'll take the test here in the U.S! :crying:

Luckily my husband loves walking too, so when we looked for apartments it was a "must" for both of us to get one that was a walking-distance away from the most important things (mall, shopping centers, etc.). Where we live I can pretty much walk to go groceries shopping or just take my dog out for long walks and I love it...I just don't wanna drive!!! :crying::blush:

I'm from Holland so...

I bike.

A bicycle is a form of transportation for me, not a sports attribute.

I bike to work (15/20 mins)

Grocery store (10 mins)

the only thing is... it's more hazardous here, there is no real infrastructure for biking like seperate lanes and such. Also a lot of motorists don't expect you, so you gotta be extra careful...and wear that STUPID helmet! :P

children1va5ge5.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.