Ggreen

Mccain's VP.

186 posts in this topic

20. The Alaska republican party is in tatters as it attempts to handle multiple corruption scandals.

I think you already said this- yes, number 6.

Oh, I really blew it on my response to this one! This is not the same issue as number 6, in fact this is probably the very worst example you could have possibly used to show that Palin is a bad choice.

I mean, you know what her role in those corruption scandals was don't you?

Dalegg - totally agree with your comments. Why would Dems care who McCain picked as his VP ? If Obama is such a "smart" guy then we can only assume that his selection of Biden was a good one? Why do Dems feel the need to trash Palin? Are they so fearful of her or are they just pi$$ed that McCain may have out"smarted" Obama with his selection?

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
20. The Alaska republican party is in tatters as it attempts to handle multiple corruption scandals.

I think you already said this- yes, number 6.

Oh, I really blew it on my response to this one! This is not the same issue as number 6, in fact this is probably the very worst example you could have possibly used to show that Palin is a bad choice.

I mean, you know what her role in those corruption scandals was don't you?

Dalegg - totally agree with your comments. Why would Dems care who McCain picked as his VP ? If Obama is such a "smart" guy then we can only assume that his selection of Biden was a good one? Why do Dems feel the need to trash Palin? Are they so fearful of her or are they just pi$ed that McCain may have out"smarted" Obama with his selection?

I don't think it's trashing Palin, unless you can say the same about the criticism aimed at Obama's VP choice. Part of it may be just a release of a lot of tension over central issues like experience which McCain campaigned on, which has now been nullified by this choice. But, similar criticism could be said about Obama campaigning on change and selecting a Senator who's been in Washington for 36 years. If Republicans can rationalize McCain's choice and her lack of experience, then hopefully they can also at least see the rationalization for Obama choosing Biden.

I guess what it really shows, is all of this is so small relative to the real issues that this election should be about. I'm looking forward to the debates when both tickets will be scrutinized more closely over their ideas than people measuring them with a stick.

If you count as foreign policy, the necessary dealings with adjoining states/provinces/territories of another country--then Palin has 2 years worth of FP experience (Alaska borders on BC and Yukon--last I checked, both Canuck).

On that score, Obama's total FP experience is that of campaigning in Europe, and photo-ops in Afghanistan.

Edited by CherryXS

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Timeline
If you count as foreign policy, the necessary dealings with adjoining states/provinces/territories of another country--then Palin has 2 years worth of FP experience (Alaska borders on BC and Yukon--last I checked, both Canuck).

On that score, Obama's total FP experience is that of campaigning in Europe, and photo-ops in Afghanistan.

Bah...when people start trying to rationalize McCain's earlier criticism about experience by dressing this VP selection up (she has executive experience), it only makes the criticism aimed at Obama and his 'lack of experience' sound even more ridiculous. Hopefully, we can now move on to more substantive issues than splitting hairs over which candidate has more experience.

Edited by Jabberwocky

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline
"She received a bachelor of science degree in communications-journalism from the University of Idaho in 1987."

What, exactly, does this have to do with anything?

Seriously. I'm a Democrat, but I also don't think pulling up things like this accomplishes anything, except to make the person saying these things look silly. So she doesn't have a degree from Harvard or Yale? Is that the point?

SO FREAKING WHAT?! Or is it a degree in mass communication that is off-putting?

I just don't get this kind of stuff. It's like the Republicans who say "Obama's middle name is Hussein...he must be a terrorist."

Gah. People...

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Not true, Obama did go to Kenya and Indonesia, and he did live in Hawaii.

But on the other hand Palin did some fishing, and might have crossed into international waters.

And Alaska was Russia a long time ago, so she does have experience to deal with emerging threat from Russia.

Obama is from Chicago, which has "Chi" in its name, so he would be good dealing with China.

Palin has same last name as Michael Palin, from Monty Python's Flying Circus, a Brit comedy show, so she would be really good in rebuilding our alliances in Europe.

Obama on the other hand, has a first name that might confuse Al Queda, they might think that he is related to their leader and stop their terrorism.

Most importantly is that Palin is a woman, therefore all Clinton supporters, and most likely all women in the country, will automatically vote for whoever is on the ticket with her.

So it proves again, that McCain is brilliant strategist, very sharp still, and not senile or disoriented at all. And any deficiencies he has with his face and body falling apart are surely compensated by her looks.

Marriage : 2001-09-26

CSC:

I-130 Sent : 2008-03-01

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-12

I-130 Approved : 2008-07-24

NVC:

NVC Received: 2008-07-30

DS-3032 and AOS bill generated: 2008-08-04

DS-3032 e-mailed (with autoreply): 2008-08-05

AOS fee paid online: 2008-08-06

AOS fee received in AVR and online: 2008-08-07

DS-3032 accepted with e-mail notice: 2008-08-15

IV fee bill paid online: 2008-08-16

IV fee bill generated in AVR: 2008-08-18

IV fee bill Accepted (PAID online): 2008-08-19

I-864 Express Mailed: 2008-08-19

IV fee and 864 received at NVC, called to confirm: 2008-08-22

DS-230 Express Mailed to NVC: 2008-08-25

RFE issued (864): 2008-09-2, sent correction: 2008-09-03

RFE Checklist received: 2008-09-08

Case Complete: 2008-09-16

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

Ill vote for O'B so I can get my taxes raised so the govt can run some health care system that will operate just like the USCIS does....grate!

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
Ill vote for O'B so I can get my taxes raised so the govt can run some health care system that will operate just like the USCIS does....grate!

Hm, about how USCIS operates, you probably forgot who was the pres for the last 8 years..

It was not even USCIS before out brilliant leader.

It was INS and it worked much, much faster and better.

LIFE act by Clinton designed for 129 K visas worked, 90 days was timeline.

130s were 6 months max for citizen's immediate relatives.

N-400 was 6 months max.

Then came Dubya..

Marriage : 2001-09-26

CSC:

I-130 Sent : 2008-03-01

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-12

I-130 Approved : 2008-07-24

NVC:

NVC Received: 2008-07-30

DS-3032 and AOS bill generated: 2008-08-04

DS-3032 e-mailed (with autoreply): 2008-08-05

AOS fee paid online: 2008-08-06

AOS fee received in AVR and online: 2008-08-07

DS-3032 accepted with e-mail notice: 2008-08-15

IV fee bill paid online: 2008-08-16

IV fee bill generated in AVR: 2008-08-18

IV fee bill Accepted (PAID online): 2008-08-19

I-864 Express Mailed: 2008-08-19

IV fee and 864 received at NVC, called to confirm: 2008-08-22

DS-230 Express Mailed to NVC: 2008-08-25

RFE issued (864): 2008-09-2, sent correction: 2008-09-03

RFE Checklist received: 2008-09-08

Case Complete: 2008-09-16

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline
Previously, I’d seen John McCain’s VP pick as a no-win situation. He couldn’t pick Joe Lieberman because he’s Jewish and pro-choice (angering evangelicals), couldn’t pick Mitt Romney because he’s Mormon (angering evangelicals), ...

and .. because Lieberman is an Independent Democrat ...

:secret: McCain and Liberman aren't in the same party

Edited by Natty Bumppo

Timeline

Obama on Palin: A fine mother and an up-and-coming public servant

Some of Obama's worst moments in the primary came when he came across as patronizing of Clinton, and that's a needle his campaign is going to have to thread constantly, as they question Palin's qualifications to be president and her conservative views, but try to do so respectfully.

Here's a excerpt from tonight's 60 Minutes:

STEVE KROFT:

What do you think of Senator McCain's vice presidential choice? And how does it change the dynamics of this campaign?

BARACK OBAMA:

Well, I-- I don't know Governor Palin I have not met her before. I had a brief conversation with her-- after she was selected to congratulate her and-- and wish her luck. But, not too much luck on the campaign trial. And-- she seems to have a compelling life story. Obviously, she's-- a fine-- mother and-- a up-and-coming public servant.

So, it-- it's too early for me to gauge-- what kind of running mate she'll be. My sense is that she subscribes to John McCain's agenda. And ultimately, this is going to be about where I want to take ,the country and where Joe Biden wants to take the country, and where John McCain and his running mate want to take the country.

He also stressed that he'd chosen Biden because "he can step in and become president," even as McCain aides suggest that Palin will learn at McCain's knee, as long as she isn't called to serve too soon.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/

Edited by Jabberwocky

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
"She received a bachelor of science degree in communications-journalism from the University of Idaho in 1987."

What, exactly, does this have to do with anything?

Seriously. I'm a Democrat, but I also don't think pulling up things like this accomplishes anything, except to make the person saying these things look silly. So she doesn't have a degree from Harvard or Yale? Is that the point?

SO FREAKING WHAT?! Or is it a degree in mass communication that is off-putting?

I just don't get this kind of stuff. It's like the Republicans who say "Obama's middle name is Hussein...he must be a terrorist."

Gah. People...

That's right, you'd better not be bashing my university! Olivia and I will come hunt you down! ;)

I'm not a McCain supporter, though I voted for him in the primaries in 2000. Generally I've liked the guy. But I think his choice with Palin was not the best one. Beyond being a political stunt (how successful is yet to be seen), Palin wasn't among the best qualified to be VP. 2 years as governor of a marginal state isn't substantial experience to make up for the lack of background in law or international knowledge. If McCain was really hoping to choose a woman mate, there were plenty of others out there to call and sit down with (Kay Baily Hutchinson from TX comes to mind among others)... And regardless of where my vote goes, I'd feel more comfortable with all the candidates having qualifications to hold the positions they are running for. I don't honestly see how Palin could withhold the duties of the President should McCain die in office (that IS the primary function of the VP after all!), let alone provide advice as the majority of modern VPs do.

It seems to me that McCain rushed into this choice, too. According to ABC news, he only began looking into Palin on Sunday the 24th and sat down with her for the first time on Thursday the 28th - one day before his announcement. I'm just not impressed by this choice, and it raises huge concerns for me should McCain be elected.

K-1 Timeline

05/14/08 Engaged on my last day while visiting Bremen

07/03 Mailed 129f package

07/24 NOA1

12/05 NOA2

12/27 Packet 3 received

01/19/09 Medical in Hamburg

03/24 Successful interview at Frankfurt

03/31 Visa received

07/09 POE Salt Lake City

AOS/EAD/AP Timeline

08/22/09 Mailed package

08/28 NOA1

10/28 Biometrics completed; EAD card production ordered

11/07 EAD arrived

12/14 Successful AOS interview in Seattle

12/28/09 Greencard arrived

Timeline

Interesting, Steven.

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

This is fun to watch! The dems are falling all over themselves trying to find fault in McCains VP pick. That tells me he must have done something right.

Palin was chosen, not to sway the dems that are already committed to Obama, but to help out with his base and to sway those in the middle. Of course Palin isn't going to make the left happy. She wasn't suppose to.

When McCain was chosen for the rep candidate I wasn't very happy. But the more McCain does the less it bothers me. Now with this pick I can honestly say I am happy with McCain for the first time. (pun intended) McCain chose the one person that could make me say that. That is why he chose here. Who cares what the Nobama nuts think of her. I like it.

Timeline
This is fun to watch! The dems are falling all over themselves trying to find fault in McCains VP pick.

All right Gary, quit stereotyping :)

I hate being lumped in as "the dems" when in fact I've spoken AGAINST all the whining about Palin.

I much prefer it when you call us commie tree huggers.

penguinpasscanada.jpg