Ben and Hazel

Attorney Trouble

48 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello Vj people,

I'm new at this but here goes, We hired an attorney who put a para legal on our case,

I was asked to fill out the I-129f and both, my fiance myself had to fill out the G-325A

She then had us send in a fee for the I-129f and the G-325A combined, total $655, after fourteen days our petition was then returned to us requesting a check for $455, after a wait of 161 days, we received an RFE, requesting that we send in the stamped visa, which apparently had not been submitted.

it is next to impossible to get ahold of the paralegal and we have been waiting since Jan. 10, 2008, should we get a new attorney? and if so at what stage in the process can this be safely done at?

I am afraid to bother my own attorney with any questions, so I am very grateful that their is a forum of like minded people who are willing to take the time to help each other.

Ben

TIMELINE

Jan/10/08 - I-129f submitted

Jan/24/08 - RFE (incorrect amount sent)

Feb/01/08 - correct amount sent

Feb/06/08 - NOA1 received

Jul /03/08 - RFE (Evidence of meeting)

Jul /17/08 - visa stamped page sent

Aug/14/08 - NOA2 Approved!!!

Sep/22/08 - Medical (pending sputum)

Sep/29/08 - 3 days sputum collection

Oct/02/08 - interview (to be re-sched. by saint luke)

Dec/08/08- medical Approved!!!

Dec/22/08- interview APPROVED!!! YAHOOOO!!!

Jan/01/09 - visa in hand!!!

Jan/14/09 - Arrived on U.S.A ( Idaho)

Jan/21/09 - married!!!

------------------------------------

AOS

Feb/02/09 - filed

Feb/17/09 - NOA received

Mar/06/09 - Bio. appt.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
Hello Vj people,

I'm new at this but here goes, We hired an attorney who put a para legal on our case,

I was asked to fill out the I-129f and both, my fiance myself had to fill out the G-325A

She then had us send in a fee for the I-129f and the G-325A combined, total $655, after fourteen days our petition was then returned to us requesting a check for $455, after a wait of 161 days, we received an RFE, requesting that we send in the stamped visa, which apparently had not been submitted.

it is next to impossible to get ahold of the paralegal and we have been waiting since Jan. 10, 2008, should we get a new attorney? and if so at what stage in the process can this be safely done at?

I am afraid to bother my own attorney with any questions, so I am very grateful that their is a forum of like minded people who are willing to take the time to help each other.

Ben

hmmm my problem is not enough coffee yet maybe thats why im confused u sent $655 the fee for filing is $455 so that means they charged u two hundred dollars for sending it........but in in truth they charged u the $655 for their fee because they did not give a check for $455 out of the fees that u sent them?

also what visa do they want u to send in..............

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

well, from personal experience and from what I have read here, unless ur case has problems, issues, or something very strange you don't need an attorney at all. I did it myself and although ap took forever (which an attorney could not help with) we got through with flying colors, no RFE, no problems at the interview, no returned papers.

Already your attorney has costs you a lot of time in a process that is all about taking a lot of time. And you state you do not want to bother them, what do you think you paid them for? If they can't file things properly what good are they doing you.

My advice, unless there are unusual circumstances, boot the attorney and go it alone. There is enough information here to get you through the process on your own.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
Hello Vj people,

I know it seems weird doesn't it?? :blink: We're also doing it alone. I've heard too many horror stories like these to hire an attorney and we have such great advice here on VJ that I think lawyers should be reading up on. Good luck it's just my opinion...

Ben

hmmm my problem is not enough coffee yet maybe thats why im confused u sent $655 the fee for filing is $455 so that means they charged u two hundred dollars for sending it........but in in truth they charged u the $655 for their fee because they did not give a check for $455 out of the fees that u sent them?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

As stated above, you really don't need an attorney if your case is pretty straight forward. Your's certainly isn't doing you any favors. I would actually cancel his services and ask for at least a partial refund after all you have gone through just to get to this point. :ranting:

By stamped visa do you mean proof of having met in the last two years? Stamped passport? If your attorney's office forgot even that not only would I cease service but I would file a complaint with the BAR.

After you receive your NOA2 your petition will be sent to the NVC in NH and then off to the Consulate. We have loads of members here from the Phillippines who i'm quite sure would be happy to help explain the process there to you. ;)

Sorry about your lawyer. That's very sad to me. :( But you've found a wonderful resource here at VJ. Read through all the guides and faq's (tabs at the top) and ask any questions you might have. There is also a regional forum dedicated to Phillipines!

good luck!

timeline.jpg

Timeline
Hello Vj people,

Ben

Oh sorry, I am assuming that the extra $200 is for the biometrics G-325A, but I am unaware of anyone else having to do this, I was wondering if this was something they used to do in the past? This is for the K-1 fianc'e visa

TIMELINE

Jan/21/09 - married!!!

AOS

Feb/02/09 - filed

Feb/17/09 - NOA received

Mar/06/09 - Bio. appt.

Timeline
As stated above, you really don't need an attorney if your case is pretty straight forward. Your's certainly isn't doing you any favors. I would actually cancel his services and ask for at least a partial refund after all you have gone through just to get to this point. :ranting:

By stamped visa do you mean proof of having met in the last two years? Stamped passport? If your attorney's office forgot even that not only would I cease service but I would file a complaint with the BAR.

After you receive your NOA2 your petition will be sent to the NVC in NH and then off to the Consulate. We have loads of members here from the Phillippines who i'm quite sure would be happy to help explain the process there to you. ;)

Sorry about your lawyer. That's very sad to me. :( But you've found a wonderful resource here at VJ. Read through all the guides and faq's (tabs at the top) and ask any questions you might have. There is also a regional forum dedicated to Phillipines!

good luck!

Yes, it is for proof of having met in the last two years, I feel like we are kind of stuck with them because they have all my documents and what ever else has to be sent on, I don't think I can safely cancel their services without damaging our case until after she has arrived.

Thanks

Ben

TIMELINE

Jan/21/09 - married!!!

AOS

Feb/02/09 - filed

Feb/17/09 - NOA received

Mar/06/09 - Bio. appt.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

It's real simple, ask the attorney for copies of everything they have filed. If they refuse to provide it to you file a complaint with the bar. It is your case you are entitled to a copy of everything and since you signed it stating it is true you really should have a copy.

As to the remainder of the case, you will have to fill out the Packet 3 when the consulate receives your case and mails it to you. None of the paperwork is difficult, just takes time.

As to hurting your case, REALLY what more damage could they do?

Timeline
It's real simple, ask the attorney for copies of everything they have filed. If they refuse to provide it to you file a complaint with the bar. It is your case you are entitled to a copy of everything and since you signed it stating it is true you really should have a copy.

As to the remainder of the case, you will have to fill out the Packet 3 when the consulate receives your case and mails it to you. None of the paperwork is difficult, just takes time.

As to hurting your case, REALLY what more damage could they do?

Wow, thanks for you help, that sounds like really wise advice, I will really have to think about it and get up the courage to do something about it, Thanks again.

Ben

TIMELINE

Jan/21/09 - married!!!

AOS

Feb/02/09 - filed

Feb/17/09 - NOA received

Mar/06/09 - Bio. appt.

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline
well, from personal experience and from what I have read here, unless ur case has problems, issues, or something very strange you don't need an attorney at all. I did it myself and although ap took forever (which an attorney could not help with) we got through with flying colors, no RFE, no problems at the interview, no returned papers.

Already your attorney has costs you a lot of time in a process that is all about taking a lot of time. And you state you do not want to bother them, what do you think you paid them for? If they can't file things properly what good are they doing you.

My advice, unless there are unusual circumstances, boot the attorney and go it alone. There is enough information here to get you through the process on your own.

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:most of the vj members did it by themselves... ;) pls. check and read the guides above... im sure it will help you a lot...

Edited by stevent

Naturalization

01-04-2012 --- N400 sent

01-11-2012 --- Check Cashed

01-10-2012 --- NOA1

02-07-2012 --- Biometrics

02-14-2012 --- Yellow Letter (it says "bring any state issued ID" for interview)

02-24-2012 --- Placed in line for Interview Scheduling

02-27-2012 --- Interview Letter sent out

03-02-2012 --- Interview Letter received

04-02-2012 --- INTERVIEW- passed!

05-01-2012 --- Oath scheduled/ Oath Letter Sent

05-16-2012 --- Oath Taking! I am now a USC!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IR-5

05-17-2012 --- I-130 Sent

05-29-2012 --- NOA1

09-24-2012 --- NOA2

10-11-2012 --- Received Case Number via email

10-12-2012 --- Mailed AOS

10-24-2012 --- Mailed DS-230

11-16-2012 --- Case Complete

11-27-2012 --- Received interview schedule via email

11-05-2012 --- Early Medical day 1

11-06-2012 --- Medical Day 2 -PASSED!

01-03-2013 --- Interview- APRROVED!

01-10-2013 --- VISA Received

01-14-2013 --- POE LAX

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Let us know how it goes Ben.

Attorneys no doubt make big money from Immigration, and will tell you they have a 100% approval rate, only because being denied at the USCIS part of the journey is incredibly rare.

I hope you get it sorted, It is an expensive process and an attorney taking money for things you are capable of doing yourselves wont help.

Good luck! :)

29/06/2004 Met online

24/10/2004- Officially started dating!

-Various Trips Between the USA and Scotland-

25/12/2007- Steven Proposed, and gave me a lovely Ring!

29/02/2008- Sent I-129F to VSC

22/09/2008-1pm - Recieved Visa!

04/11/2008 -Steven comes back to Scotland for the Celebrations!

09/11/2008- We return home together!

23/01/2009- Wedding!!!

Your I-129f was approved in 108 days from your NOA1 date.

Preparing AOS Forms.

09/4/2009- Sent AOS

11/4/2009- Received and signed for

20/4/2009- Received NOA for AOS/EAD/AP (Dated April 17th)

20/4/2009- USCIS cashed check for $1010

09/5/2009- Biometrics

11/5/2009- Case transferred to CSC

05/6/2009- Received AP

09/6/2009- Received EAD

22/7/2009- Approved!

27/7/2009- Greencard in Hand

Removal of Conditions.

15/5/2011- Received @ VSC

23/5/2011-NOA1

12/07/2011- Biometrics

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

Attorneys no doubt make big money from Immigration, and will tell you they have a 100% approval rate, only because being denied at the USCIS part of the journey is incredibly rare.

I hope you get it sorted, It is an expensive process and an attorney taking money for things you are capable of doing yourselves wont help.

If you decide to stick with this attorney, you can expect to pay $6,000 or more in attorneys' fees (plus government fees) before she gets a green card....get your papers back from the paralegal and proceed on your own. That's pretty much everyone's reaction here.

Timeline

Wow, thanks for your opinion, your comments have really lifted my spirits and when I forward them to my fianc'e I know they will help her too

Thanks,

Ben

TIMELINE

Jan/21/09 - married!!!

AOS

Feb/02/09 - filed

Feb/17/09 - NOA received

Mar/06/09 - Bio. appt.

Hello Vj people,

Ben

Hi Ben!

Just out of curiousity, what is the the name of the law firm that you hired...we did hired attorney also and we want to know if we will encounter this kind of problems.

Thank you...

04-09-2012-------------------- Sent N-400y date: 04/11/12)

05-11-2012-------------------- Biometric Letter received!

04-16-2012-------------------- NOA received (Priority date:04/11/12)

05-25-2012-------------------- Early Biometric !!!!(05-31-12--- Biometric Appnt.)

05-30-2012---------------------Placed in Lined for Interview Scheduling!!!

06-29-2012---------------------N-400 Notification,Scheduled for Interview!

07-05-2012---------------------Interview Letter received!

07-30-2012---------------------Interview! APPROVED!!!!

08-08-2012---------------------Oath Letter recieved!

08-15-2012---------------------Oath Ceremony!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.