Ben and Hazel

Attorney Trouble

48 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I am a criminal law attorney. I find it depressing that so many of my colleagues do not approach a case with any work ethic. I studied immigration law a while back with thoughts of doing it, but, decided not to because as others have said here, most cases can easily be done by yourself and the guides here. If you do your case just be careful to check your work for any mistakes. The bottom line is, is that your case is going be much more important to you than many attorneys (unfortunately).

Criminal lawyers are the best and different from the others. I learned a lot from them for my own profession in terms of ethics and believe on the other hand that each profession has it's weakness. Ben, i wish you hear what he says.

Yes, I am going to listen to this good advice and pick a good time to pull away, I'm thinking maybe after she is safely here with me.

Thanks,

Ben

TIMELINE

Jan/10/08 - I-129f submitted

Jan/24/08 - RFE (incorrect amount sent)

Feb/01/08 - correct amount sent

Feb/06/08 - NOA1 received

Jul /03/08 - RFE (Evidence of meeting)

Jul /17/08 - visa stamped page sent

Aug/14/08 - NOA2 Approved!!!

Sep/22/08 - Medical (pending sputum)

Sep/29/08 - 3 days sputum collection

Oct/02/08 - interview (to be re-sched. by saint luke)

Dec/08/08- medical Approved!!!

Dec/22/08- interview APPROVED!!! YAHOOOO!!!

Jan/01/09 - visa in hand!!!

Jan/14/09 - Arrived on U.S.A ( Idaho)

Jan/21/09 - married!!!

------------------------------------

AOS

Feb/02/09 - filed

Feb/17/09 - NOA received

Mar/06/09 - Bio. appt.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline
hello ben, phil also hired a lawyer but unfortunately phil and i did all the paperwork (with the help of this site vj) when we got our noa2, phil paid for 'premium' service which they (lawyer) said the best service because they will help you throughout the process, and we're so upset because if we didn't inform them about our noa2 they wouldn't know and they wouldn't even contact you... and now i'm done with my medical last week and guess what?? we receieved e-mail from them (lawyer) (today) saying "you can have your interview schedule blah blah blah..." too late!

just ask questions here, vj is really a great help! :thumbs: god bless you! good luck!

nanz

Wow, you guys are in a situation very similar to ours, I was planning on pulling away from our attorney after she was safely here, because I wanted to be prepared for any trouble that could arise at the interview and I'm worried about doing more harm than good, Have you already pulled away from your attorney?

Thanks,

Ben

TIMELINE

Jan/21/09 - married!!!

AOS

Feb/02/09 - filed

Feb/17/09 - NOA received

Mar/06/09 - Bio. appt.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
hello ben, phil also hired a lawyer but unfortunately phil and i did all the paperwork (with the help of this site vj) when we got our noa2, phil paid for 'premium' service which they (lawyer) said the best service because they will help you throughout the process, and we're so upset because if we didn't inform them about our noa2 they wouldn't know and they wouldn't even contact you... and now i'm done with my medical last week and guess what?? we receieved e-mail from them (lawyer) (today) saying "you can have your interview schedule blah blah blah..." too late!

just ask questions here, vj is really a great help! :thumbs: god bless you! good luck!

nanz

Wow, you guys are in a situation very similar to ours, I was planning on pulling away from our attorney after she was safely here, because I wanted to be prepared for any trouble that could arise at the interview and I'm worried about doing more harm than good, Have you already pulled away from your attorney?

Thanks,

Ben

hi ben, actually i asked phil to pull away from our attorney or just ask for a 'money-back' phil paid for premium service but all he (lawyer) did was just a basic service, but phil decided to just forget about the issue what important--- we got approved! i forgot to tell you, the lawyer also made some mistakes regarding my middle name, thank god there's vj (i learned alot from here) so i called usem and asked them to change my middle name and they did! phil e-mailed and informed him (lawyer) about my middle name changed and the lawyer told him "oh nanz beat me there" what the heck!

ben you can ask your vj family here ;) good luck and god bless you!

nanz

AOS Journey:

Filing Date: December 28, 2008

Sent: January 3, 2009

NOA: Febuary 6, 2009

Biometrics: Febuary 18, 2009 (but originally scheduled for Febuary 26, 2009)

AP Approved: April 16, 2009

EAD Approved: May 4, 2009

Welcome Notice: May 14, 2009

"God is really good ALL the time, We praise you Lord"

"When they bring you to trial and hand you over, do not worry before hand about what you are to say; but say whatever is given you at that time, for it is not you who speak, but the Holy Spirit." ( Mark 13:11)

"And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age." ( Matthew 28:20)

"If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!" ( Matthew 28:9-11)

Timeline

nanz

Thanks,

Ben

hi ben, actually i asked phil to pull away from our attorney or just ask for a 'money-back' phil paid for premium service but all he (lawyer) did was just a basic service, but phil decided to just forget about the issue what important--- we got approved! i forgot to tell you, the lawyer also made some mistakes regarding my middle name, thank god there's vj (i learned alot from here) so i called usem and asked them to change my middle name and they did! phil e-mailed and informed him (lawyer) about my middle name changed and the lawyer told him "oh nanz beat me there" what the heck!

nanz

Hi Nanz,

I guess the thing that most troubles me is, if I pull away at this point will the attorney give me all the documents that are needed to continue the process on my own? for instance, copies of my petition. Also, how do I notify the USCIS that I am no longer being represented by an attorney? Do I need to fill out a special form or anything? What a GOD send this site to turning out to be

Thanks again,

Ben

TIMELINE

Jan/21/09 - married!!!

AOS

Feb/02/09 - filed

Feb/17/09 - NOA received

Mar/06/09 - Bio. appt.

Timeline

nanz

Thanks,

Ben

nanz

Hi Nanz,

I guess the thing that most troubles me is, if I pull away at this point will the attorney give me all the documents that are needed to continue the process on my own? for instance, copies of my petition. Also, how do I notify the USCIS that I am no longer being represented by an attorney? Do I need to fill out a special form or anything? What a GOD send this site to turning out to be

Thanks again,

Ben

oh yes ben you can ask them to return all your documents or else file complain against them, but yes they will send it back to you just inform them, you have the right ben, you are paying for their service! i know that when you get approved uscis send copy of notice of approval for you and your attorney, good luck ;) and god bless you!

nanz

AOS Journey:

"When they bring you to trial and hand you over, do not worry before hand about what you are to say; but say whatever is given you at that time, for it is not you who speak, but the Holy Spirit." ( Mark 13:11)

"If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!" ( Matthew 28:9-11)

Timeline

hello ben try to check this link, i hope it could help http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=140774 look for the comment of imnop123 i think he's a lawyer, i'm not sure but just chec it out ;)

nanz

AOS Journey:

Timeline

nanz

Thanks,

Ben

nanz

Hi Nanz,

Thanks again,

Ben

oh yes ben you can ask them to return all your documents or else file complain against them, but yes they will send it back to you just inform them, you have the right ben, you are paying for their service! i know that when you get approved uscis send copy of notice of approval for you and your attorney, good luck ;) and god bless you!

nanz

Hi Nanz,

I have taken yours and the advice of everyone else and dissmissed my attorney, I go down on Tuesday to pick up my documents, do you know what documents I will need to get from them? I am assuming that I will need a copy of my petition I only hope and pray that they had made one. I really need to start studying now, thanks for all the encouragement, this is a very tense time for us now.

Thanks,

Ben

TIMELINE

Jan/21/09 - married!!!

AOS

Feb/02/09 - filed

Feb/17/09 - NOA received

Mar/06/09 - Bio. appt.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Ben, not to worry... we are all here to help each other. :) You should get a copy of your petition but they one you sent to uscis will also be sent to the Embassy once you are approved here in the States. Your copy of the petition is really just for reference so you/your fiance knows what was included. You should receive all original documents you sent as well which should be sent to your fiance when it's time for interview.

The regional forums have a Phillippines thread with loads of helpful members that can help you through the Embassy stage as it's a little different in the PI.

best of luck

timeline.jpg

Timeline
Ben, not to worry... we are all here to help each other. :) You should get a copy of your petition but they one you sent to uscis will also be sent to the Embassy once you are approved here in the States. Your copy of the petition is really just for reference so you/your fiance knows what was included. You should receive all original documents you sent as well which should be sent to your fiance when it's time for interview.

The regional forums have a Phillippines thread with loads of helpful members that can help you through the Embassy stage as it's a little different in the PI.

best of luck

Wow, Thanks KimandRuss for those encouraging words, I am going to forward your comments on to my fianc'e tonight in our chat , we really worry alot. we are growing so close over the wait that the thought of not being together would kill me, I can't even imagine it.

Thanks,

Ben

TIMELINE

Jan/21/09 - married!!!

AOS

Feb/02/09 - filed

Feb/17/09 - NOA received

Mar/06/09 - Bio. appt.

Timeline

best of luck

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: they're right ben ;) we're all here to help each other :D god bless you and your fiancee!

nanz

AOS Journey:

Timeline

best of luck

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: they're right ben ;) we're all here to help each other :D god bless you and your fiancee!

nanz

Hi Nanz,

I gave my fianc'e the news in our chat last night, that I had dropped our attorney, it was really all I could do to get her to cheer her up, but eventually I was able to get a few laughs out of her towards the end,

I have received alot of great advice on what to do next but your case is so similar to ours in that you dropped your attorney also. I was wondering if you would be able to verify a list of items that we will need. I am going down on Tuesday to pick up our paper work from the attorney, I know He still has my original birth certificate, divorce decree, passport and proof of having met in the last two years; In addition to picking those items up I was told that I will need from him, copies of the I-129f and the G325A, copies of both RFE's and a copy of NOA1, does this look like a complete list of everything that we will need?

Also, I was wondering what action we could take if something vital to our case is missing? we are very grateful for any advice you could give.

Thanks,

Ben

TIMELINE

Jan/21/09 - married!!!

AOS

Feb/02/09 - filed

Feb/17/09 - NOA received

Mar/06/09 - Bio. appt.

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline

Glad to see you got rid of that rat lawyer. What a sham. I think you will be ok on your own, if you read the guides and follow the advice of those that have gone before you. But if you feel you need an atty pm me and I'll give you the name of mine. Good luck.

Maggie

08-07-06 I129 NOA1

02-05-07 Visa in Hand

02-13-07 POE JFK w/temp EAD

02-23-07 Civil Marriage

06-17-07 Wedding

08-13-07 Card received in mail

04-14-09 Trip to Maui for Anniversary

06-04-09 Filed to lift conditions

08-13-09 Perm Card received

Timeline
Glad to see you got rid of that rat lawyer. What a sham. I think you will be ok on your own, if you read the guides and follow the advice of those that have gone before you. But if you feel you need an atty pm me and I'll give you the name of mine. Good luck.

Yes, between the VJ guides, the sample forms and awesome advice from people like you, the other VJ members and the good LORD we will get through this.

Thanks,

Ben

TIMELINE

Jan/21/09 - married!!!

AOS

Feb/02/09 - filed

Feb/17/09 - NOA received

Mar/06/09 - Bio. appt.

Timeline

best of luck

nanz

Hi Nanz,

I gave my fianc'e the news in our chat last night, that I had dropped our attorney, it was really all I could do to get her to cheer her up, but eventually I was able to get a few laughs out of her towards the end,

I have received alot of great advice on what to do next but your case is so similar to ours in that you dropped your attorney also. I was wondering if you would be able to verify a list of items that we will need. I am going down on Tuesday to pick up our paper work from the attorney, I know He still has my original birth certificate, divorce decree, passport and proof of having met in the last two years; In addition to picking those items up I was told that I will need from him, copies of the I-129f and the G325A, copies of both RFE's and a copy of NOA1, does this look like a complete list of everything that we will need?

Also, I was wondering what action we could take if something vital to our case is missing? we are very grateful for any advice you could give.

Thanks,

Ben

Hello Ben,

yes Ben sounds good! go there and get all the documents, your passport, divorce decree, proof of you and your fiancee having met, copies of the i-129f, your G325A, yes copies of your RFE's and NOA1, yes that's all you need, all the documents that you submitted to them,they should give it back to you ;) good luck Ben :D god bless you and your fiancee!

Nanz

AOS Journey:

Timeline

best of luck

nanz

Hi Nanz,

Thanks,

Ben

Hello Ben,

yes Ben sounds good! go there and get all the documents, your passport, divorce decree, proof of you and your fiancee having met, copies of the i-129f, your G325A, yes copies of your RFE's and NOA1, yes that's all you need, all the documents that you submitted to them,they should give it back to you ;) good luck Ben :D god bless you and your fiancee!

Nanz

Hey Thanks Nanz,

If you look hard enough you can always find the good that results from the Evil, like saving all this time, trouble, money and getting to meet all these cool VJ members. Sometimes we can't see the good until we look back, Only then can we see what came from it, GOD is so good to us.

Thanks,

Ben

TIMELINE

Jan/21/09 - married!!!

AOS

Feb/02/09 - filed

Feb/17/09 - NOA received

Mar/06/09 - Bio. appt.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.