KHPerfectMatch

Anyone Hear of Problems from Delaying Travel After Visa Rec'd?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

Well the Visa is now in my SO's hands! FINALLY!!!!!! And of course it's only a month until the beginning of Ramadan..... He's decided that by time he sells his car and packs or gets rid of everything else, closes up his flat, gets his Mom settled with everything she will need, and settles up all his financial issues it will be the beginning of Ramadan... Not exactly the best time for a wedding/honeymoon....

He's decided to wait until the Eid is over to come. Emotionally this is difficult for me. Logically it makes perfect sense. Tonight we were chatting with a mutual friend who said he thought it might cause us some problem if he doesn't use the Visa IMMEDIATELY... like they might question his sincerity and deny him entry when he arrived at JFK.... Since the Visa is good for 6 months that hardly makes ANY sense, in my opinion...

Do any of you know of any situations where someone had a hard time because they waited a couple of months to use their Visa?

Of course my feeling is use it QUICK before someone changes their mind... but I'm pretty sure he won't be the first person who had a lot to do before he was able to travel. But I'm also doubtful that most USCIS people would understand the complication of marriage during Ramadan.

While I'm so happy that it FINALLY came, their timing was lousy. If we had it when they SAID we would he'd be on his way here right now... well in advance of Ramadan and we could spend the holy month together and celebrate the Eid together.

Any suggestions? Ideas? Concerns?

Karamella

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Good morning

first of all :dance: congratulations :dance:

second i don't think it will be an issue if he will travel to USA after a month.

as you just said the visa is good for six months so he can travel whenever he wants.

and i think if you check time line of people from Egypt you will find out that most of them traveled to USA after a month or more from getting the visa in hand

Good luck and have a happy blessed new life with your love (F)

Nothing's impossible . Nothing's unreachable .When I am weary you make me stronger

This love is beautiful .So unforgettable . I feel no winter cold when we are together .

Will you stand by me ?!!!Hold on and never let me go .

Will you stand by me?!! With you i know i belong . When the story gets told .

When day turns into night .I look into your eyes . I see my future now .All the world and its wonder

This love wont fade away.And through the hardest days . I will never question us .You are the reason my only reason.

I'm blessed to find what i need in a world loosing hope. you are my only believe .

You make things right every time after time.....

Will you stand by me ?!!!

I love you so much and i miss you so much more .

anm68b54b0b16262b16.gif

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline

He will have no problem...just have him do it within the 6 month time frame and get married within the 90 day period once he arrives. You all will be great. This reminded me of our issue...our visa was issued on Oct 21, 2004 and we were debating when to have him come to US - we decided we would do it sooner rather than later, because in the Catholic Church you can't get married during Lent, which started on February 9, 2005. So, needless to say, he came November 6, we got married on the 17th at the courthouse and on January 8th at our church. It all worked out in the end. :thumbs:

Much happiness to you both. Have a wonderful Ramadan.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

If it is any consolation, my SO waited close to 5 months to use the visa ( he will be here soon ), but this was due to health issues ...some his, some mine. As much as we want them here ASAP, sometimes it is best to wait and make sure the time is right for both parties involved. Allow him the time he needs and be a bit patient. He is giving up everything that he knows to come to a strange place and have a life with you.

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

yes, i agree.

taking the time he needs is ideal... plus Ramadan is really important, and depending on where you live, there might not be much community support for him during that time. it is a good time to spend with family and friends, before he sets sail for his new life and adventure.

my husband waited about 2 1/2 months before he used his visa, and he had no problems. but i agree, that the wait was torturous!

Congratulations to you!!! :dance::dance:

and many good things to come! :thumbs:

hz

love0038.gif

For Immigration Timeline, click here.

big wheel keep on turnin * proud mary keep on burnin * and we're rollin * rollin

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

congrats on the visa, I think it would be fine

K1 process

10/05/2006 filled :)

05/03/2007 interview -> AP -> hell -> AP -> 9 months of AP Hell - 2 home visits :(

01/26/2008 visa in hand with a typo :(

02/03/2008 2 weeks more of waiting.... Visa in hand...... :)

2/20/2008 on US soil :)

2/21/2008 marriage :)

AOS

03/12/2008 Sent AOS/Work/Travel

03/16/2008 shows delivered chicago

4/12/2008 check cashed :)

4/13/2008 NOA's for all 3

4/18/2008 bio letter

4/29/2008 bio appt.

5/06/2008 RFE 2007 tax return

5/07/2008 returned RFE overnight

5/08/2008 received-lees summit

5/12/08 case updated online/RFE received

5/27/08 checked the website for the third time today -says AP and EAD approval letter sent 5/24- it was not updated online till today - and no e-mail update either

5/27/08 emails sent in afternoon AP and EAD approvals

5/29/08 AP touch

5/29/08 email EAD card production ordered

6/02/08 AP in hand

6/03/08 email EAD card mailed

6/05/08 EAD card in hand :)

7/28/08 AOS letter received

9/02/08 AOS interview

9/10/08 card production ordered email :)

9/17/08 welcome letter email and snail mail arrive same day

9/19/08 Greencard in hand :)

Timeline

Thanks to everyone for the advice and good wishes. As I said before, from a purely logical basis it makes perfect sense and waiting is the prudent thing to do fiscally and religiously. We just don't want any more problems and didn't want to CAUSE any by delaying the trip. So I'm glad to hear it is rather common to wait for several months.

The airlines tickets during August are the highest of the year, and because of Ramadan being in September they don't go down until the first full week of October. He has all of August to prepare things and Ramadan (September) to spend time with his family and enjoy himself. He will be able to make some more money (August is the busiest month of the year for his business) and get things like dental work, etc done. Also he doesn't smoke in Ramadan so this will give him a headstart on NEVER starting again since he won't be smoking here.

Now I have time to finish my home rennovation projects and try to make room for his stuff in the closet... (think I'll need 6 months for that!)....

Thanks again for the info and advice.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

I know your feeling that, "if we don't use it right away, the DOS will find some reason to rescind the visa (at least temporarily). That is panic setting in.

Your SO's plan of two months or so to get his affairs settled and spend Ramadan with his family is acceptable. It will be nice that he can have the last holiday with them and go with a light heart to USA afterwards.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Thanks to everyone for the advice and good wishes. As I said before, from a purely logical basis it makes perfect sense and waiting is the prudent thing to do fiscally and religiously. We just don't want any more problems and didn't want to CAUSE any by delaying the trip. So I'm glad to hear it is rather common to wait for several months.

The airlines tickets during August are the highest of the year, and because of Ramadan being in September they don't go down until the first full week of October. He has all of August to prepare things and Ramadan (September) to spend time with his family and enjoy himself. He will be able to make some more money (August is the busiest month of the year for his business) and get things like dental work, etc done. Also he doesn't smoke in Ramadan so this will give him a headstart on NEVER starting again since he won't be smoking here.

Now I have time to finish my home rennovation projects and try to make room for his stuff in the closet... (think I'll need 6 months for that!)....

Thanks again for the info and advice.

Tell me about it! We paid through the nose, but I look at it this way, what is money when we waited since March of 2006 ?

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

Seems like there are several folks waiting until after Ramadan to move here. It does make sense. I hope the fact that he does actually have the visa in hand makes the wait a little easier for you.

I'm sure you've already done this, but just in case, check the visa to be absolutely sure it gives you the six months. It should, but I remember one person (carshel's husband I think???) waited a long time for his visa, and when it finally arrived, they realized the visa would expire after only a few weeks instead of the six months they had expected, so they had to act quickly.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
yes, i agree.

taking the time he needs is ideal... plus Ramadan is really important, and depending on where you live, there might not be much community support for him during that time. it is a good time to spend with family and friends, before he sets sail for his new life and adventure.

my husband waited about 2 1/2 months before he used his visa, and he had no problems. but i agree, that the wait was torturous!

Congratulations to you!!! :dance::dance:

and many good things to come! :thumbs:

hz

:thumbs:

Ramadan and Eid here isn't the same.

What about if you go for a visit and bring him home with you? Is that a possible option?

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Timeline

Ramadan and Eid here isn't the same.

What about if you go for a visit and bring him home with you? Is that a possible option?

I've been there 3 times in the last 18 months so I really don't feel like going, (or spending the $$ to go and missing more work) and especially not in the hottest time of the year when I can't drink or eat from dawn to sunset, something I"m not used to doing in HOT country (I live in the temperate Pacific NW)...

Also it would interfere with the time he would be spending with his family because he'd feel like he needed to "entertain" me... In a nutshell he doesn't think it's a good idea for me to be there during Ramadan and I agree.

I'll just sit here and wait it out... BTW when he found out how long the days are here during Ramadan (because we are north of the 45th paralell) he decided he would rather fast in Egypt.. I bet he'll try to go home for Ramadan every year.... ;) (at least until Ramadan comes in Winter and that's a LONG time)

K

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.