twostar55

Overstay in the U.S.

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Kyrgyzstan
Timeline

Hello, everyone --

I wrote about this topic yesterday, and I was thankful for the replies I received. Today, I have a little better picture of what is going on, so I would like to get your opinions again.

My fiancee and I now have our NOA2. Now I am preparing the I-134.

She lived and worked in New York City from 1997 to July, 2001. She overstayed her visa by about three years. She was law-abiding.When she left for her home country in mid-summer of 2001, she wasn't even asked for her I-94 departure form--they simply stamped her visa and she was on her way. (Remember--- this was pre- 9/11).

Now, when she gets to her interview and speaks with the CO, and she/he asks her if she ever over-stayed her visa, she has two options as I see it:

1. She could tell the truth, this to me would be the "kiss of death"-the K-1 would probably go right down the tubes.

2. She could tell them no--how would they know? It has been almost five years since she left the U.S. (since her departure segment of the I-94 was not processed, how would they know when she actually left?)

I am not advocating lying during this process, but geez, after all the work and hope---just to have everything shot down because of a technicality. Her "admission" of an "overstay" would hurt us much more than help them(government).

Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Lie, and you will get caught. Maybe not now, maybe sometime down the line at AOS or when you go to remove the conditions from the green card...but you will get caught. And then you will face much bigger problems, like prosecution, fines, and a ban from the US.

Unless she was working illegally-which has problems of its own-there will be a very clear paper trail of where she was and when she was there. They WILL know and it WILL be brought up.

Edited by Gwen666

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Now, when she gets to her interview and speaks with the CO, and she/he asks her if she ever over-stayed her visa, she has two options as I see it:

1. She could tell the truth, this to me would be the "kiss of death"-the K-1 would probably go right down the tubes.

2. She could tell them no--how would they know? It has been almost five years since she left the U.S. (since her departure segment of the I-94 was not processed, how would they know when she actually left?)

Since this is only how *you* see it, why not invest a couple of hundred dollars to get a professional's opinion. You may have other options/outcomes than what you see.

Keep in mind that this can catch up to you at any time, even after citizenship. Don't have her start out in the US on a lie--this is a fixable problem, unless you make it worse.

Should't the overstay already have been 'fessed up to in the visa app?

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I understand how you feel. But remember, it's now post 9/11. People especially USCIS is very touchy about immigration. Although you may not see a way for them to know that she overstayed, do you think it would be fair to ask her to lie if this question is asked? I once worked for a lawyer that said, if they don't ask you a question, there's no reason to come up with a lie. But don't volunteer information either. I think it would be in your best interest to be honest. yes it produces a longer road, but as that old saying goes, it's better safe than sorry. Good Luck!

Barbara (Canada) & Dallas (USC)

AOS

Nov 13 2005 EAD & I-485 sent to Chicago Lockbox

Nov 22, 2005 EAD & I-485 NOA1

Dec 15, 2005 Biometrics for EAD & I-485

Dec 19, 2005 EAD & I-485 Touched

Jan 21, 2006 Rec'd I-485 Fingerprint Reschedule Notice (AHHH!!!)

Feb 10, 2006 Fingerprint App't

Feb 1, 2006 EAD Approved!!!!

Feb 11, 2006 Rec'd EAD card

Feb 13, 2006 Applied for SSN

Feb 17, 2006 Rec'd SSN

Feb 23, 2006 I-485 Transferred to CSC (AHHH!!)

Mar 02, 2006 I-485 Has been received at CSC

Mar 13, 2006 I-485 Touched

Mar 14, 2006 I-485 Touched

Apr 15 & 25 2006 emailed CSC for status inquiry on I-485

Apr 26 2006 received a response from CSC, another response in 60 days (ahhhhh!!!)

Apr 27, 2006 I-485 Touched

Jun 17, 2006 I-485 Touched

Jun 19, 2006 I-485 Touched

Jun 20, 2006 I-485 Touched

July 3, 2006 emailed CSC again, no response given in the allotted 60 days time frame.

July 27, 2006 received a response from CSC, another response will be given in 30 days.. ha ha ha.

***app sent back to Missouri ***app sent to Chicago

Aug 21 2006 touched

Sept 29 2006 3rd year Anniversay

October 13, 2006 Immigration Interview - Need to return with Long Form Birth Certificate

October 13, 2006 Long Form Birth Cert ordered with expediated shipping

October 18, 2006 Birth Cert Received

October 19, 2006 2nd Immigration Interview - APPROVED

5-20 business days for the Green Card to arrive, maybe I'll be back to see my family before Christmas?

She lived and worked in New York City from 1997 to July, 2001. She overstayed her visa by about three years. She was law-abiding.When she left for her home country in mid-summer of 2001, she wasn't even asked for her I-94 departure form--they simply stamped her visa and she was on her way. (Remember--- this was pre- 9/11).

Didn't we already have this posted. Oh well, I said it there and I'll say it again. She wasn't "law-abiding'. She broke the law by over staying her visa. I'm sorry, i'm not trying to be mean, but that's just how they are going to see it so I would expect some problems if I were you. Don't hate me :blush:

:star: Joey

And so he did what countless punk-rock songs had told him to do so many times before: he lived his life

10/07/2006 WEDDING DAY!

11/14/2006 AOS packet made it to 'the box' after being overnighted.

12/02/2006 Paul had biometrics

12/14/2006 AOS Forwarded to CSC AND AP Application approved.

01/17/2007 First touch of 2007 at CSC

01/20/2007 Touched AGAIN (also the 18th) come on...

February: Oops, RFE for a REGISTERED marriage certificate. Oops! Overnighted it.

02/28/2007 Paul gets email letting us know his GREENCARD is on it's way! It's done...for now!

03/09/2007 Paul's greencard arrives. And breathe...

We began with mailing the I-129 in on February 27, 2006 so the whole process took us approx. one year.

Good luck out there!

See PCRADDY for our official timeline.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: France
Timeline

I thin she should be honest about it...

I m sure that they willfind away to know that she overstay

I m very surprised that they did not ask her for her i 94.

Good luck on the visa process hope things go well.

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

She worked in NYC????....I assume she paid taxes and had SS withheld. They already know she was here. Go ahead and lie, and see what the consequences are. Willing to take the risk???

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

She could tell them no--how would they know?

That has to be about one of the most naive statements I've ever read on VJ, even pre 9/11. And to say "I am not advocating lying during this process" right after that is hilarious.

Don't expect us here to encourage you to do something illegal.

Good luck.

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Albania
Timeline

SHE SHOULD NOT LIE but... nor does she have to begin the interview "Hi, I overstayed a US visa and lived illegally in NYC for..." If they don't ask her about it, she shouldn't talk about it. But if they do ask her, in writing or during the interview, she has to be truthful, for both your sakes.

But ultimately, you have to follow your own conscious and do what feels correct to you -- just be careful if you're thinking about lying to the US gov't. :unsure:

good luck!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7/27/2006: Arrival in NYC! -- I-94/EAD stamp in passport

8/08/2006: Applied for Social Security Card

8/18/2006: Social Security Card arrives

8/25/2006: WEDDING!

AOS...

9/11/2006: Appointment with Civil Surgeon for vaccination supplement

9/18/2006: Mailed AOS and renewal EAD applications to Chicago

10/2/2006: NOA1's for AOS and EAD applications

10/13/2006: Biometrics taken

10/14/2006: NOA -- case transferred to CSC

10/30/2006: AOS approved without interview, greencard will be sent! :)

11/04/2006: Greencard arrives in the mail! :-D

... No more USCIS for two whole years! ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
SHE SHOULD NOT LIE but... nor does she have to begin the interview "Hi, I overstayed a US visa and lived illegally in NYC for..." If they don't ask her about it, she shouldn't talk about it. But if they do ask her, in writing or during the interview, she has to be truthful, for both your sakes.

But ultimately, you have to follow your own conscious and do what feels correct to you -- just be careful if you're thinking about lying to the US gov't. :unsure:

good luck!

Karen, I hear what you are saying about not volunteering information. There is no way to weasel out of this one though. I refer you to Q38 on the nonimmigrant visa application form DS-156:

"Have you ever violated the terms of a U.S. visa, or been unlawfully present in, or deported from, the United States?"

It's a yes or no question, and it must be answered. This form comes in "packet 3" and is a prereq for a visa interview.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Albania
Timeline

good luck!

Karen, I hear what you are saying about not volunteering information. There is no way to weasel out of this one though. I refer you to Q38 on the nonimmigrant visa application form DS-156:

"Have you ever violated the terms of a U.S. visa, or been unlawfully present in, or deported from, the United States?"

It's a yes or no question, and it must be answered. This form comes in "packet 3" and is a prereq for a visa interview.

Yeah, I know it's a question on one of the documents in packet 3 -- she has to answer it truthfully. I wasn't saying she should try and weasel out of anything -- and I said she has to be truthful, so it's inevitable that they will find out about her overstay -- but ... if they conduct the interview normally despite her response, or before reading it, she should only answer questions she is asked. If she doesn't at least attempt to conduct the interview normally despite her response to qu. 38, she might as well cancel the interview now.

7/27/2006: Arrival in NYC! -- I-94/EAD stamp in passport

8/08/2006: Applied for Social Security Card

8/18/2006: Social Security Card arrives

8/25/2006: WEDDING!

AOS...

9/11/2006: Appointment with Civil Surgeon for vaccination supplement

9/18/2006: Mailed AOS and renewal EAD applications to Chicago

10/2/2006: NOA1's for AOS and EAD applications

10/13/2006: Biometrics taken

10/14/2006: NOA -- case transferred to CSC

10/30/2006: AOS approved without interview, greencard will be sent! :)

11/04/2006: Greencard arrives in the mail! :-D

... No more USCIS for two whole years! ...

Filed: Timeline

twostar,

Overstay is a much less serious offense than making a material misrepresentation.

Take meauxna's advice and have a consultation with an experienced immigration attorney.

Yodrak

Hello, everyone --

I wrote about this topic yesterday, and I was thankful for the replies I received. Today, I have a little better picture of what is going on, so I would like to get your opinions again.

My fiancee and I now have our NOA2. Now I am preparing the I-134.

I am not advocating lying during this process, but geez, after all the work and hope---just to have everything shot down because of a technicality. Her "admission" of an "overstay" would hurt us much more than help them(government).

Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

1) Overstaying is NOT the kiss of death for a K1 applicant. As I responded to your previous post, there is a waiver available to "forgive" the overstay. Yes it's a pain to do and it will add time to the process. But the fact remains that are have a legal way to deal with this, thank god, and you can prepare the waiver and the hardship letter in advance. As I mentioned, the immigrate2us.net has a special forum for people is the same position - the 601 forum - which will help you immensely to get your head around this. And a consultation with an attorney very experienced in 601 waivers is a must. A good place to start is free chat on Wednesday mornings at 11 CT from visacentral.net

2) Lying while under oath at a consular interview IS the kiss of death. As many have said, at some point, somewhere down the road, it WILL catch up with you. And there will be NO waiver available for this.

I agree, lie at your own peril. Honesty is the best policy. Giving false information under oath is fraud and perjury. Do not go there! Tell the truth about the over-stay and hope that they will overlook it as it was quite a few years ago :)

Adele

> Texas have received out application and cashed the cheque!

We got our NOA1 as at 26 Oct 2005!

Sent to CSC 26 Oct 2005

NOA2 26 Jan 2006

Sent to Embassy 9 Feb 2006

Embassy sent pk3 21 feb 2006

Recd and return pk3 27 feb

Medical 8 March

recd pk4 11 April

Interview 10 May

Visa Approved 10 May

Visa Received 13 May

Fly to Memphis 21 june

Married 1 September

AOS NOA1 23 Jan 2007

Case transferred to Missourri

Case transferred back to CSC feb 01

Card in the mail March 05

Case approved March 005

Welcome to America Letters received March 08

Filed for lifting of conditions - received in Vermont Jan 20 2009

I-797C NOA received Jan 26 2009

Visit My Website

A Joy unshared is like and unlighted candle

you be going through the almaty consulate..they will ask her questions about any visits to america..if she lies..or they think she is dishonest ..the visa be return back to america with to consider a denial...your risk..

Edited by almaty2004

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.