Marlita

Black in America

93 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
I am not sure if we'll watch it (depends on if we were home, what we are doing etc), but I think it should be interesting. I saw previews and it doesn't just discuss one aspect of being "black in America". It also deals with mixed couples and how they deal with it even in their own communities. It doesn't look like a "we hate white people" thing. :no:

There are programs all the time about white history or the white experience. Just watch the history channel about the founding of our country and all the men talked about during that. Isn't that about white people? But since they don't say "white history program", it doesn't count?

If there was a program called "East Indian in America" that would be interesting too. It'd be interesting to see a doc about any group in America. I don't know why people freak out if a minority group is singled out for 2 nights of programming. :wacko:

:thumbs:

hell yea.. i wanna more documentaries about latinos to understand them better

oi! lol :bonk:

i don't get them, they iz weird

El Presidente of VJ

regalame una sonrisita con sabor a viento

tu eres mi vitamina del pecho mi fibra

tu eres todo lo que me equilibra,

un balance, lo que me conplementa

un masajito con sabor a menta,

Deutsch: Du machst das richtig

Wohnen Heute

3678632315_87c29a1112_m.jpgdancing-bear.gif

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aren't there a million documentaries about how bad the Irish had it when they immigrated here, and other groups too? Jewish? So those are "white" documentaries. But a key word in any white documentary about people from another place would probably be immigrant. Not a slave forced over and treated like an animal, which to me makes the black experience a different thing all together. Yes it's in the past and guilt shouldn't be the main topic, but it still makes the experience different.

I may be opening a can of worms here, but what about the Chinese when they 1st immigrated here?

Weren't they used as help and poorly treated as well?

I understand it was well after the African Americans were brought over but?

What I struggle with is that not all African American's were brought over for that purpose, some actually wanted to come yet they use that as an "excuse" for why their life s***ks. I just don't understand. I live S.Atlanta, which is not white and to be honest they treat me like " a spoiled white girl" it irks me because they don't know where I came from and to be honest I grew up with a lot less than most of them.

I don't know, I will watch it with an open mind and try to understand.

AOS

APRIL 24 2008 - Filed AOS Packet APRIL 28 2008 - Package received and signed for by CHYBA

MAY 6 2008 ( Day 1) - Notice USCIS received MAY 10 2008 (Day 4) -Rec'd all 4 NOA's & Status of all 4 online

MAY 12 2008 (Day 6) - Received Biometrics letter MAY 14 2008 (Day 8) - Biometrics done early.

OCTOBER 22 2008 (DAY 170)- I-765:Card Production Ordered/I-131: Approval notice sent

OCTOBER 27 2008 (Day 175)- AP Received

OCTOBER 30 2008 (Day 178)- EAD Approval Notice Sent OCTOBER 31 2008 (Day 179)- EAD Received

NOVEMBER 4 2008- Applied for SSN / NOVEMBER 24 2008- SSN Received

JANUARY 15 2009- INTERVIEW-APPROVED!!

JANUARY 31 2009- GC RECEIVED_No more USCIS for 10 Months[/color]

ROC

October 27- I-751 Sent

October 30- I-751 Received

April 10-10 YR GC Received

Here is the Answer to my last question:

South African court rules Chinese can now be called black

I jest, I jest :jest:

AOS

APRIL 24 2008 - Filed AOS Packet APRIL 28 2008 - Package received and signed for by CHYBA

MAY 6 2008 ( Day 1) - Notice USCIS received MAY 10 2008 (Day 4) -Rec'd all 4 NOA's & Status of all 4 online

MAY 12 2008 (Day 6) - Received Biometrics letter MAY 14 2008 (Day 8) - Biometrics done early.

OCTOBER 22 2008 (DAY 170)- I-765:Card Production Ordered/I-131: Approval notice sent

OCTOBER 30 2008 (Day 178)- EAD Approval Notice Sent OCTOBER 31 2008 (Day 179)- EAD Received

ROC

October 27- I-751 Sent

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
I guess making more Speedy Gonzalez cartoons doesn't count ;)

:lol::lol:

i hate latinos

El Presidente of VJ

regalame una sonrisita con sabor a viento

tu eres mi vitamina del pecho mi fibra

tu eres todo lo que me equilibra,

un balance, lo que me conplementa

un masajito con sabor a menta,

Deutsch: Du machst das richtig

Wohnen Heute

3678632315_87c29a1112_m.jpgdancing-bear.gif

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Aren't there a million documentaries about how bad the Irish had it when they immigrated here, and other groups too? Jewish? So those are "white" documentaries. But a key word in any white documentary about people from another place would probably be immigrant. Not a slave forced over and treated like an animal, which to me makes the black experience a different thing all together. Yes it's in the past and guilt shouldn't be the main topic, but it still makes the experience different.

I may be opening a can of worms here, but what about the Chinese when they 1st immigrated here?

Weren't they used as help and poorly treated as well?

I understand it was well after the African Americans were brought over but?

What I struggle with is that not all African American's were brought over for that purpose, some actually wanted to come yet they use that as an "excuse" for why their life s***ks. I just don't understand. I live S.Atlanta, which is not white and to be honest they treat me like " a spoiled white girl" it irks me because they don't know where I came from and to be honest I grew up with a lot less than most of them.

I don't know, I will watch it with an open mind and try to understand.

Well again this is where things like "culture" come into play. China is home to the oldest continuous civilization on the planet - basically 5000-odd years of culture and history. Not the same identity confusion you have in the black community where people from various countries (ranging from Africa to the Indies) were basically forced together during the slave trade and had to establish a totally new cultural identity for themselves.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

the irish are still owned - until someone pays the bar tab :hehe:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Yes, that makes perfect sense.

It's almost like they never had their own cultural "identity"? So the the slave trade sort of made thier "culture" as that is the one common thing they all had to rally around, even though it was wrong it so many ways.

I do agree with someone else on here though, that they come from so many different parts of the world and Africa, the islands. It's really not right to bunch them all into one sort of sub-culture.

AOS

ROC

October 27- I-751 Sent

Filed: Timeline

It's almost like they never had their own cultural "identity"? So the the slave trade sort of made thier "culture" as that is the one common thing they all had to rally around, even though it was wrong it so many ways.

I do agree with someone else on here though, that they come from so many different parts of the world and Africa, the islands. It's really not right to bunch them all into one sort of sub-culture.

And here in the US we're so sensitive to others' feelings and preferences.... That's why all black people are "African-Americans". Even if they're from Jamaica. They're still African-Americans. Even if they're black and live in England. They're African-Americans. Wouldn't want to "offend" anyone by calling them "black".....

US citizens are such morons sometimes....

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

Gotta say I never use to the term African American..... unless they want to hear that I'm European American. And the thing that I find interesting also is that some (certainly not ALL) blacks who call themselves African Americans probably have no desire at all to ever step onto the African continent, much less track exactly what country their ancestors are from. Perhaps that is another part of the identity issue some may have....they are shoved into a singular category that doesn't really represent them. Maybe that's why a program about "blacks", and not "African Americans" is relevant.

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

Timeline
Gotta say I never use to the term African American..... unless they want to hear that I'm European American. And the thing that I find interesting also is that some (certainly not ALL) blacks who call themselves African Americans probably have no desire at all to ever step onto the African continent, much less track exactly what country their ancestors are from. Perhaps that is another part of the identity issue some may have....they are shoved into a singular category that doesn't really represent them. Maybe that's why a program about "blacks", and not "African Americans" is relevant.

There's also the question that its impossible to establish a point of origin for a lot of people - so they have no means of tracking down their country of origin in the first place. Even if they were able to - living apart from those "mother cultures" for several generations, as they have done, makes it difficult if not impossible to establish a connection.

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

There's also the question that its impossible to establish a point of origin for a lot of people - so they have no means of tracking down their country of origin in the first place. Even if they were able to - living apart from those "mother cultures" for several generations, as they have done, makes it difficult if not impossible to establish a connection.

Understandably...then why be so adamant on using a term that kind of suggests otherwise?

Edited to add: Not asking you specifically, just wondering out loud.

Edited by Sister Fracas

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

Timeline

Understandably...then why be so adamant on using a term that kind of suggests otherwise?

"African" is pretty general though. As opposed to "Ethiopian American" or "Nigerian American".

And here in the US we're so sensitive to others' feelings and preferences.... That's why all black people are "African-Americans". Even if they're from Jamaica. They're still African-Americans. Even if they're black and live in England. They're African-Americans. Wouldn't want to "offend" anyone by calling them "black".....

US citizens are such morons sometimes....

Who calls Black British people African American? (although the super-fine Idris Elba is does play one on TV) I've never heard it myself. And Jamaicans are always caleld, well, Jamaicans. (And Haitians Haitians, and Dominicans Dominicans etc etc)

I don't know who these super uptight people are, but it's not anyone I know. Besides if someone prefers "African American" that's what I will call them, just like I will call them "Bob" if they prefer that over Robert. It's simple politeness.

90day.jpg

Filed: Timeline
:lol: I imagine a show about "People in America" probably wouldn't be very illuminating...

Lets all pretend that all things and all people are equivalent and equal, and that everyone's experience is the same - whether they be black, white, green, homeless or Donald Trump.

I imagine some sort of montage with stirring patriotic music, drum rolls and long slow motion cuts of the American flag flying in the wind.

Yep, that would be about the way it would go...

Or they could save the money and just show the last 5 minutes of the first Delta Force movie with Chuck Norris, complete with rescued American hostages fist-pumping and singing "America! America!"

Chuck Norris wears a live rattlesnake as a condom.

You mean someone actually sleeps with him???? EEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW :blink: :blink:

I definitely think it will be educational. Unfortunately, those who need to watch it probably won't, and those who do probably aren't the ones who need to be educated. But it should definitely be interesting. I saw the one which aired during Black History month and it was excellent.

True.

Has anyone read Black Like Me by John Howard Griffin? He was a journalist and he artificially dyed his skin, posed as a black man and traveled around Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama (I think) in the late 50s/early 60s? I've never read it, but it came up in some of my prep for next year's Mass Media class and I was wondering if anyone has?

Ohmygosh, Jun. I read Black Like Me back in the 60's, and it definitely had an impact. If this is part of your required reading for next academic year, you are in for a real treat.

I used Black Like Me in some of the courses I taught in Edmonton. It is an excellent resource!