Marlita

Black in America

93 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
That is racist and discriminatory, what about being Brown or Yellow or Red or White, why Black only? amazing. :unsure:

Well since I know this is just a trolling comment I wont take it too serious. But even as a trolling comment it makes no sense. What is racist about CNN doing a documentary about a certain group of Americans?

Well, it WAS just a trolling comment, but there IS a little bit of truth in there.

What if it were a CNN documentary about White people?

What if there was a White Expo?

What if we (U.S.) had "White History Month"?

What if someone used the term "black hole" in a commissioners meeting? (if you haven't read that thread, never mind)

Basically, the troll has a point. If white people try to draw attention to their "whiteness" in any way, it's called racist, prejudiced, or whatever. You can bet Jesse Jackson and the NAACP will be there to stop it.

Not really... There wouldn't be much point to make a documentary about an amorphous majority "white" culture... The only reason people bring this up that argument is to make a relativistic judgement about minority groups that makes assumptions about equality and ignores historical contexts.

We already had the same argument trotted out in gay marriage threads with gay pride parades - i.e. "why not have a straight pride day?". Noone's stopping anyone from doing it - but its obvious why it doesn't happen.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: England
Timeline
Who's guilty? I'm not. There are injustices and inequalities in the US. That's a fact.

:thumbs:

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

Well, all I know is I live in the south and if we were to do even a local documentary about anything white related there would be an outroar in the name of racism.

I personally would like to see something done on the ever decreasing tribes and families of American Indians (Native Americans) who apparently were here in the land and county first.

AOS

APRIL 24 2008 - Filed AOS Packet APRIL 28 2008 - Package received and signed for by CHYBA

MAY 6 2008 ( Day 1) - Notice USCIS received MAY 10 2008 (Day 4) -Rec'd all 4 NOA's & Status of all 4 online

MAY 12 2008 (Day 6) - Received Biometrics letter MAY 14 2008 (Day 8) - Biometrics done early.

OCTOBER 22 2008 (DAY 170)- I-765:Card Production Ordered/I-131: Approval notice sent

OCTOBER 27 2008 (Day 175)- AP Received

OCTOBER 30 2008 (Day 178)- EAD Approval Notice Sent OCTOBER 31 2008 (Day 179)- EAD Received

NOVEMBER 4 2008- Applied for SSN / NOVEMBER 24 2008- SSN Received

JANUARY 15 2009- INTERVIEW-APPROVED!!

JANUARY 31 2009- GC RECEIVED_No more USCIS for 10 Months[/color]

ROC

October 27- I-751 Sent

October 30- I-751 Received

April 10-10 YR GC Received

Timeline
Well, all I know is I live in the south and if we were to do even a local documentary about anything white related there would be an outroar in the name of racism.

I personally would like to see something done on the ever decreasing tribes and families of American Indians (Native Americans) who apparently were here in the land and county first.

Don't they already have programs on the native americans on Discovery Channel?

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

I am not sure if we'll watch it (depends on if we were home, what we are doing etc), but I think it should be interesting. I saw previews and it doesn't just discuss one aspect of being "black in America". It also deals with mixed couples and how they deal with it even in their own communities. It doesn't look like a "we hate white people" thing. :no:

There are programs all the time about white history or the white experience. Just watch the history channel about the founding of our country and all the men talked about during that. Isn't that about white people? But since they don't say "white history program", it doesn't count?

If there was a program called "East Indian in America" that would be interesting too. It'd be interesting to see a doc about any group in America. I don't know why people freak out if a minority group is singled out for 2 nights of programming. :wacko:

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Timeline

And I'd personally like to see programs on any ethnic group in America, but what does that have to do with CNN doing a story on Black America? Write in a suggestion to CNN, I guess. Otherwise, if you really want to see someing on Native Americans, I'm sure there are loads of resources out on the internet.

And as far as a "white" documentary...well, I just don't even get how that would go. Which whites? The Italians, Poles, Germans, etc, etc? I know the same could be said of blacks...African, Carribean, etc, but there is probably something they share in how other races (not just caucasians) relate to them.

Edited by Sister Fracas

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED

Probably, I don't watch too much TV! Maybe it's just old news now.

I have struggled with the whole racism thing, I lived in Europe and never thought once of color. I have lived in Asia, Europe and S.America and not ever had 1 inkling of it (I understand that it's there, I just never actually thought about it or thought it was any kind of an issue)

Since I have been here it's all of a sudden so relevant (I have had racist remarks made to me a Caucasian woman from African American women that I literally was just shocked to hear and if i dare make a remark back I would be shot)

I have had numerous discussions with my Husband about it, as to why and all that.

I am getting off topic, but yes I will watch it to understand why it's so prevelant here.

AOS

APRIL 24 2008 - Filed AOS Packet APRIL 28 2008 - Package received and signed for by CHYBA

MAY 6 2008 ( Day 1) - Notice USCIS received MAY 10 2008 (Day 4) -Rec'd all 4 NOA's & Status of all 4 online

MAY 12 2008 (Day 6) - Received Biometrics letter MAY 14 2008 (Day 8) - Biometrics done early.

OCTOBER 22 2008 (DAY 170)- I-765:Card Production Ordered/I-131: Approval notice sent

OCTOBER 30 2008 (Day 178)- EAD Approval Notice Sent OCTOBER 31 2008 (Day 179)- EAD Received

ROC

October 27- I-751 Sent

Timeline
I am not sure if we'll watch it (depends on if we were home, what we are doing etc), but I think it should be interesting. I saw previews and it doesn't just discuss one aspect of being "black in America". It also deals with mixed couples and how they deal with it even in their own communities. It doesn't look like a "we hate white people" thing. :no:

There are programs all the time about white history or the white experience. Just watch the history channel about the founding of our country and all the men talked about during that. Isn't that about white people? But since they don't say "white history program", it doesn't count?

If there was a program called "East Indian in America" that would be interesting too. It'd be interesting to see a doc about any group in America. I don't know why people freak out if a minority group is singled out for 2 nights of programming. :wacko:

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED

And as far as a "white" documentary...well, I just don't even get how that would go. Which whites? The Ialians, Poles, Germans, etc, etc? I know the same could be said of blacks...African, Carribean, etc, but there is probably something they share in how other races (not just caucasians) relate to them.

Very true! Very true. There are so many!

AOS

ROC

October 27- I-751 Sent

Timeline

I have struggled with the whole racism thing, I lived in Europe and never thought once of color. I have lived in Asia, Europe and S.America and not ever had 1 inkling of it (I understand that it's there, I just never actually thought about it or thought it was any kind of an issue)

Since I have been here it's all of a sudden so relevant (I have had racist remarks made to me a Caucasian woman from African American women that I literally was just shocked to hear and if i dare make a remark back I would be shot)

I have had numerous discussions with my Husband about it, as to why and all that.

I am getting off topic, but yes I will watch it to understand why it's so prevelant here.

Well there are many reasons for it - culture as our friend B/Y keeps going on about is certainly part of it, but this is something that is informed by education and economics. Also I would imagine its because the civil rights movement is still relatively new (basically 40 years of official "equality") - and like feminism there is some hypersensitivity on the subject.

Well there are many reasons for it - culture as our friend B/Y keeps going on about is certainly part of it, but this is something that is informed by education and economics. Also I would imagine its because the civil rights movement is still relatively new (basically 40 years of official "equality") - and like feminism there is some hypersensitivity on the subject.

I have to say I struggle with the racism thing. Considering the PC bent so many people take, why is tolerance so low??

Why is the stereotype the accepted norm?

I am "white" my sister is "black" (see a photo on my profile if you want) and I am afraid for her growing up. :(

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

Aren't there a million documentaries about how bad the Irish had it when they immigrated here, and other groups too? Jewish? So those are "white" documentaries. But a key word in any white documentary about people from another place would probably be immigrant. Not a slave forced over and treated like an animal, which to me makes the black experience a different thing all together. Yes it's in the past and guilt shouldn't be the main topic, but it still makes the experience different.

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

hell yea.. i wanna more documentaries about latinos to understand them better

El Presidente of VJ

regalame una sonrisita con sabor a viento

tu eres mi vitamina del pecho mi fibra

tu eres todo lo que me equilibra,

un balance, lo que me conplementa

un masajito con sabor a menta,

Deutsch: Du machst das richtig

Wohnen Heute

3678632315_87c29a1112_m.jpgdancing-bear.gif

Timeline

hell yea.. i wanna more documentaries about latinos to understand them better

oi! lol :bonk:

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED