psiprez

TODAYShow/MSN.com - Should Man Continue with Immigration Process for Wife

12 posts in this topic

Saw this on TODAYShow/MSN.com today... thought it might be useful to anyone in the same situation...

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/25372123/?GT1=43001

MAN: WIFE KEEPING ME FROM MY IDEAL WOMAN

What happens when ‘settling’ in love leads to contempt for one’s partner?

by Dr. Gail Saltz

TODAYShow.com contributor

updated Wed. June 25, 2008

Q. I am a 42-year-old man who married for the first time last year. I was given an ultimatum to marry her or she would leave. I weighed my options and took the leap. I felt that I might never find my ideal woman and settled for her. In other words, I settled for hamburger thinking I might never get steak.

My career was (and is) a catastrophe. I was out of work for several years, living on credit cards and savings. This only added to the pressure. She did not seem to care that my career was in tatters. My wife has many good qualities: She's a great cook, looks OK, stays in shape and would never cheat on me.

However, I feel a lack of excitement around her. Our sex life is boring. She was a virgin before we met and I taught her everything she knows. Her negative qualities are: She likes dumb sitcoms, Hollywood gossip, knows little of my culture, has different taste in music, speaks somewhat broken English, snores (I'm a light sleeper) and does not share my life's passions (literature, history, etc.).

Now she wants to have a baby. Being 39, her biological clock is ticking. I told her that I can barely take care of myself, let alone a wife and baby. I dread having sex with her because of this.

Also, after a year we are still not living together since she lives in Canada and I live in the U.S. We are still doing the immigration paperwork. I feel that I may harbor a slight resentment that she forced me into marriage, is forcing me to start a family and is keeping me from finding my ideal woman. I feel trapped. What can I do?

A. Unfortunately, it doesn’t sound like there is much hope for this marriage. Your theme of unhappily eating hamburger while yearning for steak runs through your letter. You view your wife with contempt and disdain. Those are about the worst emotions you can have when it comes to reviving a troubled marriage.

If you don’t even start with at least some admiration and respect for your spouse, it is unlikely you can gain it, let alone regain it.

You assumed you would never find the perfect woman, so you married someone imperfect. I agree that this is the right thing to do. It doesn’t make sense to hold out for the perfect person, because the perfect person doesn’t exist.

Often, older bachelors wait years and years for their ideal woman, who never comes along because she doesn’t live anywhere but in their fantasies. They never marry and spend their lives as “confirmed bachelors.” Sometimes, they aren’t very good husband material anyway or marriage isn’t really something they want.

Of course, that doesn’t mean there are no women who are compatible with you. That’s what people wanting a mate should strive for — someone whose positive, lovable qualities outweigh the deficient ones. There will always be some things you dislike about your partner.

Often, these dislikable things are unimportant. In your note, you list your wife’s negative qualities. Not everyone considers these things, like taste in television shows, to be of great significance. Some people might say their wife has a charming accent; you say yours speaks broken English. Again, your distaste for her is evident.

Taken together, you view these as signs that your wife is uncouth, less educated, less worldly and generally not up to your high standards. You see yourself as erudite and cultured, with a love of history and literature and a disdain for sitcoms and gossip. In and of itself there is nothing wrong with your self view; the issue comes with your view of her relative to yourself.

And yet your contempt for your wife is especially curious because you admit your career is a catastrophe. When you say she didn’t care your career was in tatters, it’s unclear what you mean. That she wasn’t supportive of you in your time of need? Or that she was? That she is forcing you to take on burdensome financial responsibilities? That she thought she couldn’t meet her ideal man so she settled for an unemployed bum?

Your career is your responsibility, not hers. You seem to be using her as a scapegoat — she is to blame for your failure to have all you deserve in life. And yet, it is unrealistic for you to believe that your dream woman would choose a man with a failed career.

It isn’t unreasonable that, at 39, a woman would give her boyfriend an ultimatum. If this approach didn’t work for you, you should have said so and exited her life. Now, your wife probably doesn’t know she isn’t good enough for you. She wants a baby with her husband, which is a perfectly normal desire. She is right to be thinking about having children if this is a life goal that matters to her.

It is hard for you to have a valid opinion of your spouse if you two live in different countries. If you were in a more normal living situation, you might be surprised when you find out more about her strengths, such as being a good cook or a caring friend. There are ways to cope with snoring and to spice up a sex life. Since you take credit for teaching her everything she knows in the bedroom, you can now teach her to be less boring in bed.

If your wife cannot get into the U.S. quickly, you might consider moving to Canada to be with her. It might also be helpful for your career — you might be able to get a better job there than in the States.

So what you can do is twofold: Give things an honest try with your wife. And examine your own thinking so that you view your expectations more realistically and objectively, with less of a self-focus.

Your condescending attitude toward your wife is extremely corrosive, and it is difficult to reverse such feelings. Still, if you are uncertain because you haven’t given the marriage a real test, it’s worth giving it a try by moving in with her. I strongly suggest you not bring a child into this unstable situation.

If, after a true effort to make your marriage work, you cannot see your wife as a worthy partner for you, do both yourself and her a favor and set her free so she can meet a man who does.

DR. GAIL’S BOTTOM LINE: Contempt for one’s spouse is truly destructive and often serves as a marker for a troubled marriage.

12-18-06 Began investigating K1 process<3

--------------------

01-10-08 K-1 PETITION SUBMITTED

07-18-08 INTERVIEW... APPROVED!!! (190 long days)

09-02-08 MARRIED <3

--------------------

04-07-09 AOS APPROVED (196 days)

--------------------

07-21-11 ROC APPROVED

--------------------

09-13-13 N-400 NATURALIZATION PETITION FINALLY SUBMITTED

10-23-13 IN LINE FOR INTERVIEW

01-11-14 RECEIVED INTERVIEW LETTER

02-10-14 INTERVIEW DATE & OATH DONE... US CITIZEN!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yay, Dr. Gail! Her advice is right on. From the sounds of things, the woman has ended up with the bad end of the deal, not him! No, he should be honest to himself and to her and consider if they really would have a good life together with his current attitude to her, to life, to everything before she gives up everything from her life in Canada to move to the US.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Wow! That's serious.... I feel sorry for both of them... because no matter what, he will still blame her for his misfortune and unhappiness and she will be married to man who thinks she is unrefined and has okay looks.

And I'm pretty sure he knew that she would want to have children. She is almost 40 for goodness sakes! And he was her first and he thinks so low of her? I feel especially bad for her :cry:

OTxq.jpgAsante Maroon

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Good advice. I like how the doctor highlights that a lot of the problem is the man's attitude, not the wife.

The advise is absolutely valid. There is a fine line between criticism and whining... the husband seems to be whining...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

How interesting! Yes this guy certainly has a bad attitude and it makes me wonder why he married her in the first place...especially in a situation where he could have just as easily not married her. I bet if we talked to the wife we would likely find out that she isn't the shrew he made her out to be. I wonder what attracted her to him though, b/c it seems to me that she could likely do a lot better than someone as contemptuous as him!

wtf-picard.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
My career was (and is) a catastrophe. I was out of work for several years, living on credit cards and savings. This only added to the pressure. She did not seem to care that my career was in tatters. My wife has many good qualities: She's a great cook, looks OK, stays in shape and would never cheat on me.

I hope she doesn't read this Q&A

However, I feel a lack of excitement around her. Our sex life is boring. She was a virgin before we met and I taught her everything she knows.

So their sex life is boring because he is bad at sex?

Her negative qualities are: She likes dumb sitcoms, Hollywood gossip, knows little of my culture, has different taste in music, speaks somewhat broken English, snores (I'm a light sleeper) and does not share my life's passions (literature, history, etc.).

It's always a bad sign when you start listing her negative qualities...

12-14-07 Sent K-1 petition

12-17-07 Received NOA1

01-06-08 Got engaged!!!

02-21-08 NOA2 Approved

02-27-08 NVC processed petition

02-28-08 Received NOA2 in mail

03-03-08 Consulate in Rio de Janeiro received petition

03-21-08 Received packet for interview

04-22-08 Visa Interview and Visa APPROVED!

05-06-08 Visa received in mail

07-28-08 Wedding Date (Reception was 26th, but forgot to reigster for MC...oops)

10-04-08 Applied for AOS (EAD and AP also)

10-09-08 NOA1 for I-485

10-27-08 I-485 transferred to CSC

11-04-08 I-485 Biometrics appointment

11-13-08 NOA1 for EAD

12-09-08 EAD Biometrics appointment

01-08-09 AP Approved

01-13-09 AP Received

Cost of 3 roundtrip tickets to Brazil in last 3 years...... $2,900+

Cost of filing petitions for K-1 visa & AOS.................... $1,465+

Cost of monthly calling cards to Brazil........................$20

Cost of marrying the woman of my dreams.... PRICELESS

.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
However, I feel a lack of excitement around her. Our sex life is boring. She was a virgin before we met and I taught her everything she knows.

:rofl: How very true.

I think he is better off living alone in a man-cave somewhere.

wtf-picard.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Good advice. I like how the doctor highlights that a lot of the problem is the man's attitude, not the wife.

I agree!

I would also like to add that IMO it's best that he is honest with her now. Don't keep her hanging on to what appears to be 'false hope'.

Boaz

ALL things work TOGETHER for GOOD!

:rofl: How very true.

I think he is better off living alone in a man-cave somewhere.

:thumbs:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.