GaryC

Lets collect some information about IMBRA effects

1,434 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

On the I-129F we stated we met on a message board about books. That will place us outside the IMBRA law, no?

I mean, we didn't use a broker but I am asking if what we stated makes that clear enough.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Kyrgyzstan
Timeline

Hello, everyone,

My finacee and I recently recieved our NOA2. I am in the process of organizing and gathering things for the 134.

My question is this... She lived in New York city for 4 years. She overstayed her visit by 3 years.

I have a feeling she might be questioned about this at her interview at the consulate.

What should we do? Hire an attorney (God forbid)? Fake it? Or what?

She was a student and worked part-time. She did not commint any crimes or whatever.

Has anyone here been in similar circumstances?

Thanks---

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
On the I-129F we stated we met on a message board about books. That will place us outside the IMBRA law, no?

I mean, we didn't use a broker but I am asking if what we stated makes that clear enough.

The USCIS "asks" how you met in the context of a phsyical meeting to determine the validity of the claim you have met in person. It's not relevant to the question (18) if you met via IM or e-mail at the 129 petition stage. I assume if you met in person via a marriage broker than maybe that will raise the red flag.

Luis and Laura, I also first started speaking to my fiance through a messageboard about books, but our relationship didn't start until after we'd met up through a group "meet" from that messageboard.

Here are my stats for the record:

K1 - - - UK - - - NSC - - -NOA1 Apr1

Here's my information (and Bstnguy's too, since he's my fiance):

K1 ... Canada ... VSC ... NOA1: April 18 ... NOA2: April 24 ... no interview scheduled yet.

I received my packet 3 from Montreal on May 10th, and my fiance was notified that our petition was recalled because of IMBRA on May 12th. The Montreal consulate advised me not to send in the packet 3 stuff (checklist and DS-230) until the petition is re-approved. I also postponed my medical exam, which would have been today.

Bstnguy and I met at a lacrosse game in Toronto (and stated that in our petition) so it's unlikely our petition was recalled because they were concerned we met through a marriage broker.

K-1 Visa (176 days)

18 Apr 2006 - NOA1

Lost case file, congressman intervention...

4 Oct 2006 - Interview Day! Approved!

AOS/EAD/AP

23 Jan 2007 - NOA for EAD & AOS

2 Feb 2007 - NOA for AP

Wrong A# printed on my visa, find out I have 2 A#s (both different from # on visa), case sent to storage before green card was made...

29 Dec 2007 - Green Card Received!

K-1 Visa Part II (uh oh)

30 Aug 2008 - Second Packet 3 received (umm?)

12 Feb 2009 - Montreal requests copy of green card to close file (sent)

24 Apr 2009 - CRIS notice saying my case is being reviewed. (eek!?)

I-751 (141 days)

4 Sep 2009 - Documents mailed to VSC

9 Sep 2009 - Documents stamped received at VSC

14 Sep 2009 - NOA received

23 Sep 2009 - Biometrics letter received

15 Oct 2009 - Biometrics appointment

13 Jan 2010 - Card Production Ordered!

22 Jan 2010 - New Green Card Received!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline
I'm confused about even if we know the official date(s).

NOA1 has a receipt date 3/1 and notice date 3/7.

NOA2 has a receipt date 3/7 and notice date 3.8.

I had one reply to my question that the real date and time is what's stamped on the Petition.

How do we know that?

this is disturbing. I have yet to get my noa2.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

Grrrrrrrrr

I must have called the NVC, USCIS, and the embassy abroad a dozen times today!!!!!! They all seem to be pointing the fingure at each other. And finally I just told the very nice gentlemen on the phone at the USCIS

I WANT TO SPEAK TO THE PERSON WHO IS INTERPRETING THIS LAW!!!!!

I would really like to! He was a very nice man so I didnt feel right to hang it all on him, but really I think some bozo just picked up my file and said, "oh so they met on a russian website, well then we should check it , it must be what they mean in this new law!"

I am so frustrated with no one ever READING!

When I told the woman at the embassy that if our cancellation was due to this new law, they have made a mistake because it does not apply to me. she was taken aback, and asked why not? I told her because I did not meet my fiance through a Marriage Broker, she seemed surprised and later just said it makes no difference it has to do with the date of your petiton. She wasnt very nice to me AT ALL!!!!!!! :devil:

Like I said, I want to talk to the person who is interpreting this law and causing all the delays!! I have a hunch its at the embassy, but I will never know for sure, this is the sad part!

Edited by Aquelunya

The journey begins...got the package together sent FedEx OV 2/22/06

Packet received in VT Center 10:53 AM Signed by G.Merrihew 2/23/06

Packet returned, check made out for the wrong amount, I feel stupid :( 3/4/06

New check made out, given to Fedex today but will go out Monday morning 3/6/06

Packet received SECOND time signed by same person at 11:00 am, please God let this be it! 3/7/06

NOA 1-------------------------3/8/06

Check cashed----------------3/9/06

Touched----------------------3/21/06

NO2 approved electronically!!!!!!!!!------3/22/06

Touched, I guess they mailed the petition out today-------3/23/06

NVC sent out approved petition!!! YAYYYYYYYY-------------3/27/06

Packet 3 received by my fiance----------------------------4/9/06

Medical appnt.------------------------------------------4/10/06

Packet 3 sent back-----------4/14/06

Interview Date Given for MAY 15------------------4/24/06 Interview cancelled 5/11/06

Case reopened by VSC---7/13/06

Touched-------------------7/14/06

Touched------------------7/15/06

RFE Update!!!!----------7/17/06

RFE Sent back---------7/22/06

RFE Update Online----7/26/06

Touched---------------7/27/06

Touched--------------7/28/06

Touched-------------7/29/06

Touched------------8/09/06

Re-APPROVED-----8/09/06

NVC sent out to the embassy---8/14/06

Interview re-scheduled for----- 9/26/06!!!!!!!

APPROVED_RECEIVED VISA IN HAND 10/03/06!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

CSC, fiance from Morocco:

NOA1: Feb 27

NOA2: May 8

I called USCIS and got transfered about 5 times and talked to several people before finally getting an immigration officer. He said he wasn't familiar with this new law so he looked it up and said that he really didn't know anything about it and that it isn't uncommon for them to be the last to find about these things (???). Anyways all he said was that for my case, seeing as it was approved on May 8 that he didn't see any reason that it would be sent back after reaching Morocco as it is still in the US. That doesn't help much I know, I'm sorry I wish I had gotten more info.

Good luck to everyone and hang in there,

Sarah

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline
CSC, fiance from Morocco:

NOA1: Feb 27

NOA2: May 8

I called USCIS and got transfered about 5 times and talked to several people before finally getting an immigration officer. He said he wasn't familiar with this new law so he looked it up and said that he really didn't know anything about it and that it isn't uncommon for them to be the last to find about these things (???). Anyways all he said was that for my case, seeing as it was approved on May 8 that he didn't see any reason that it would be sent back after reaching Morocco as it is still in the US. That doesn't help much I know, I'm sorry I wish I had gotten more info.

Good luck to everyone and hang in there,

Sarah

it will not apply to you. This has to do with the nao1 date. mien was in jan. So I'm clear. though it makes littel diffrence. I don;t even have a trafic violation to my name.

Name............K1/K3...Country..........SC......NOA1......NOA2...Returned..Interview...Canceled?....rescheduled

StellaR...........K1.....Australia.......NSC.....12/5......4/11

JamesT............K1.....Russia..........TSC.....12/07.....3/07..............6/05

PorknBeanz........K1.....Ukraine.........TSC.....12/12.....3/14..............5/31

papatel...........K1.....India...........TSC.....12/15.....4/13

Palak126..........K1.....UK..............CSC.....1/05......3/23..............5/11.........Yes..........5/17

sarah and hicham..K1.....Morocco.........CSC.....2/27......5/8

Larry and Maria...K1.....Russia..........CSC.....3/01......5/08

ILovenalina4eva...K1.....India...........TSC.....3/02......5/01

Pnd629............K1.....UK..............CSC.....3/02......5/08

Larry And Maria...K1.....Russia..........CSC.....3/07......5/08

Aquelunya.........K1.....Israel..........VSC.....3/08......3/22.....5/11.....5/15.........Yes

Iceyspots.........K1.....Algeria.........NSC.....3/10

Nannygirl82.......K1.....Jamaica.........VSC.....3/10......3/20..............6/23

Mike1972e.........K1.....Vietnam.........VSC.....3/13......3/27

GaryC.............K1.....Philippines.....NSC.....3/14

MyheartsinCanada..K1.....Canada..........TSC.....3/14

Dowd001...........K1.....Russia..........VSC.....3/20......3/24..............6/13

react.............K1.....New Zealand.....VCS.....3/23......4/11.....5/10.....6/13.........Yes

Carldecolorado....K1.....Colombia........NSC.....3/24

Michela...........K1.....Peru............NSC.....3/24

LuvaLimey.........K1.....UK..............NSC.....3/27

vera77............K1.....Italy...........VSC.....4/18

cdngirl06.........K1.....Canada..........VSC.....4/18......4/24.....5/12

Bluesurf..........K1.....Ukraine.........NSC.....4/21

billsgirl.........K1.....Canada..........VSC.....4/29

Igor Brukker......K1.....Ukraine.........VSC.....4/29

Judging by the comments I am starting to get a picture here. It looks like this all depends on how you answered the question of how you met. If you said a IMB or gave an ambiguous answer then you get looked at. If you were specific about something other than a IMB then you go through. If someone has something different happen to them please post it.

Edited by GaryC

As I mentioned in my post, we most definitely didn't meet through an IMB and were very clear in stating that we met in person at a sporting event, but our petition was still recalled.

In addition to describing how we met the first time, we also mentioned that he traveled up to visit me during the summer and supported it with the stamps in his passport (even though Canada doesn't usually stamp passports anymore, they were working to rule at the time), photos of us at a city-run event he attended that I coordinated (it's listed in my employment history), and AMTRAK stubs with our names on them from our travel within the US (and both purchased with his credit card). There should be no concern whatsoever that we met through an IMB. I hope this means we'll be re-approved quickly.

K-1 Visa (176 days)

18 Apr 2006 - NOA1

AOS/EAD/AP

2 Feb 2007 - NOA for AP

Wrong A# printed on my visa, find out I have 2 A#s (both different from # on visa), case sent to storage before green card was made...

K-1 Visa Part II (uh oh)

I-751 (141 days)

As I mentioned in my post, we most definitely didn't meet through an IMB and were very clear in stating that we met in person at a sporting event, but our petition was still recalled.

In addition to describing how we met the first time, we also mentioned that he traveled up to visit me during the summer and supported it with the stamps in his passport (even though Canada doesn't usually stamp passports anymore, they were working to rule at the time), photos of us at a city-run event he attended that I coordinated (it's listed in my employment history), and AMTRAK stubs with our names on them from our travel within the US (and both purchased with his credit card). There should be no concern whatsoever that we met through an IMB. I hope this means we'll be re-approved quickly.

Damn! This really makes me nervous. So sorry cdngirl06.

K-1 Process

---------------------------

April 20, 2006 - Filed I-129F (Ahhhhh finally!)

July 31, 2006 - APPROVED!

September 28, 2006 - Interview!

September 29, 2006 - VISA in hand!

October 14, 2006 - WEDDING DATE!

AOS & EAD Process

----------------------------

December 26, 2006 - Darcy's last day of employment on his 90-day work authorization. Bummer!

December 27, 2006 - Filed AOS and EAD paperwork

January 3, 2006 - Receipt date of NOA1

January 11, 2007 - 'touched'

January 17, 2007 - transferred to CSC

January 19, 2007 - biometrics appointment

January 22, 2007 - 'touched'

January 23, 2007 - 'AOS touched'

January 24, 2007 - 'touched'

January 31, 2007 - 'AOS touched'

February 1, 2007 - GREEN CARD ORDERED!!!

February 5, 2007 - Received Welcome Letter

February 11, 2007 - received GREEN CARD!!

Lifting Conditions

----------------------------

December 31, 2008 - filed I-751

January 10, 2009 - received 1-year extension letter

January 28, 2009 - biometrics

February 13, 2009 - 10-year green card ordered

Damn! This really makes me nervous. So sorry cdngirl06.

Sorry, didn't mean to make anyone more nervous... We haven't actually gotten the official letter about the recall yet, Bstnguy (my fiance) found out by emailing Montreal asking if we were likely to be affected. They responded saying a letter had been mailed to us stating that our approval had been revoked pending further processing due to the new law. We also called Montreal on Monday, and they told me not to send in the packet 3 documents until we are re-approved as they won't accept them at this time.

K-1 Visa (176 days)

18 Apr 2006 - NOA1

AOS/EAD/AP

2 Feb 2007 - NOA for AP

K-1 Visa Part II (uh oh)

I-751 (141 days)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I think it's all random.

We'd need a larger sampling population to be able to draw statistical trends.

There are too, too many factors involved from random sampling [like do they take Petition number 11 an odd number from random countries], or is there more scrutiny for some countries [remember part of this deals with safety and security], age differences, how the adjudicator felt on a certain day [was it TGIF], was there pressure from the boss, did their head honcho or honchess tell them to interpret the IMBRA this way or that, how does Adjudicator A differ from Adjudicator B, is there a "god" adjudicator who has final word, how many processes does the Petition pass through before final adjudication, is that number different for different countries or situations [obviously if you get at least one RFE it is], did someone [who knows] fat-finger something that derailed your petition ... just too many factors.

I believe, I feel we're in a ####### shoot -- for those not familiar with the term that means rolling the dice.

Let's just hope not too many come up craps on a roll!

:yes:

Larry and Maria

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.