rebeccajo

Immigration, an insurance salesperson and

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Some of you know I started a new job last week.

My orientation started today. There are three of us in the class. We were schooled in HIPAA; Clients Rights and Responsibilities; etc.

The end of this first day's session ended with a presentation which still seems very strange to me. Essentially we were pitched by an insurance rep for some weird identity theft insurance and another insurance which provides you legal representation. I guess this was supposed to be relevant for us as we work in a mental health facility, and our clients are ....well.....unstable.

At any rate, the sales lady was pretty sure we would want the ID theft coverage for a number of reasons, including all the things we've heard of in the news lately about immigrants (her first use of the word - my ears perked up).

"Yes there are a lot of people who are out to steal your identity. Drug abusers, gambling addicts, immigrants" (did I just hear her say that again?)

"People steal your identity in many ways - they file an address change for you with the postal service; they go through your trash at work; immigrants use your SS number when looking for a job......."

At this point my justice meter went completely over to red. I shifted in my chair and not bothering to raise my hand, I loudly said ..."Pardon me for interrupting you, but my husband is an immigrant".

"Is he"?

"Yes. A legal immigrant. I'd appreciate it if you would change your verbage when you speak about this issue and not use media rhetoric . Okay?"

She starts sort of doing a standing version of a candle out in the hot sun too long.

I was livid. She never met my eyes again during her presentation, which was pretty noticeable given there were only four of us in the room to begin with.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

wow - how gauche on her part - I like how she avoided you after that instead of just saying "I apologize, you're right."

Good for you!!! I bet she was embarrassed or at least I hope she was!

Posted 129f to VERMONT 4th March 2004.

Recieved first NOAL 8th March 2004.

NOA2 dated 23rd April 2004.

Recieved packet 3, 13th May 2004.

Hoping for an August Interview!

Court hearing for permission to take children 2nd August!

Interview Date August 5th!

Got visas,Yessssssssssss!

Fly out the 16th August to be with my lovely John.

Married October 30th, 2004!

Posted off AOS , and AP on the 13th November 2004.

Now more waitng begins............................

NOAs for 1-485,>,AP recieved 25th Nov,2004 dated 19th Nov,2004.

Biometrics/fingerprints appointment made for 22 December 2004.

AP approved on the 5th Jan 2005.

EAD approved on the 7th Jan 2005.

recieved on the 13th Jan 2005.

AP recieved on the 14th Jan 2005.

Passed driving test on the 2nd Feb,2005!

AOS interview date July 2005!

AOS Approved!!!!

April 25th 2007 Vermont recieve paperwork for I-751

Refiled June 26th

Card ordered Dec 18th 2007

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

while the use of the term immigrant is an issue, there is also the issue of being a captive audience while they make a sales pitch to you too.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Congratulations on the job! I've came across the similar remarks in the past from people talking about the big bad evil immigrants... etc. Stupid people, even more so when they say things like.. ohh I'm sorry I don't mean you (when they discover I'm an immigrant), I mean the other one's, of course referring to Mexicans /South Americans because all immigrants or illegal immigrants as they like to call them have to be Mexican/South American? The stupidity of some people is unimaginable.

Filed N400 11/7/16

Check (CC) Cashed 11/10/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

Did you clearly inform the salesperson that illegal immigration is the issue not legal immigration?

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

while the use of the term immigrant is an issue, there is also the issue of being a captive audience while they make a sales pitch to you too.

Exactly. That's why I mentioned in the post that I thought the presentation was strange to begin with.

Immigration or not, it seemed like one of those 'rip-off' insurance schemes to me.

Edited by rebeccajo

Congratulations on the job! I've came across the similar remarks in the past from people talking about the big bad evil immigrants... etc. Stupid people, even more so when they say things like.. ohh I'm sorry I don't mean you (when they discover I'm an immigrant), I mean the other one's, of course referring to Mexicans /South Americans because all immigrants or illegal immigrants as they like to call them have to be Mexican/South American? The stupidity of some people is unimaginable.

I couldn't believe how utterly stupid to stand in front of people and use bigotry as a sales pitch. I guess she thought she was 'safe' in a room full of white people, because as you say to most Americans the 'enemy' is 'brown'.