31 posts in this topic

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

Going? Not always,but you can ALMOST always get something for even less than the sticker if you just ask. Also be prepared for people to ask you for less...and most of them kind of expect you to take what they offer, if it's reasonable(not that you HAVE to at all!) unless your prices are already 'rock bottom'. ;)

My Mom always waited until a couple hrs before the end of a sale(or the 2nd day if she was doing it for two days) and put MOST everything(not big ticket,etc) things for half price. She figured she would rather get something than nothing.

Books... if you have those..even tho they cost muchm ore in the store...people won't pay much for em..especially paperbacks. If you go with anything more than a quarter, you're gonna have most of them left.

Hm...dunno..I'll keep thinking. Mom used to do them every year, and we still go to them for fun, knick knacks,etc..I like it. Good luck with it all! :) :) :) M.

OK..PS..I'm sure you thought of this already, but make sure you have plenty of change to start the day...we had a money box..it was just a Tupperware at that time, with compartments..and made sure we had all coins, and at the beginning, plenty of change for bigger bills. Yes, I know it's a garage sale, but people will come and hand you a 20.00 first thing in the morning and say..it's all I have. ;):) M.

Edited by MichelleandCraig

ManU2.jpg

10 year green card received

mid March, 2008. Done 'til Naturalization! WOOT! :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

mich is right...

another thing... when my sister and i had yard sales, we would put jeans, etc @ $3 - $5 if they were in exceptionally good shape... if there was a tear, etc... $1 - $3.

knick-knacks: .50 cents to $1

toys: 2 - $1

unless it is board games or nintendo stuff

my mom used to LOVE LOVE LOVE yard sales...

she always said... "one man's trash is another man's treasure."

lol

Tho' lovers be lost, love shall not... and death shall have NO dominion!

http://www.geocities.com/pulpi33/A1.htm

114959908992789.gif

The will of God will never take you,

to where the grace of God will not protect you.

Timeline

One more thing I forgot Sar..I'm sure you advertised, but did you put up good signs? They make garage sale signs, or you could do your own on posterboard...a nice big one right in the front and a couple on nearby streets directing people to it...people WILL turn off their beaten baths just to go to a sale..if they know it's there. :) M.

hahah we only put jeans for a buck or two Lynne unless they were nearly new... ;) but hey... a lot depends on the area you live in too...we had a nice area, but people just wouldn't pay..now,there's a tiny tiny town near us..about 7/8 miles now where all the uppitys come in the summer to live....they pay whatever the sticker says..them cats got money!!!!! :lol: All depends.. :) M.

Edited by MichelleandCraig

ManU2.jpg

If you have a Craigslist for your area, be sure to list it there!

Price your items reasonably so that if people want to haggle, you're not losing a ton of money. Be honest about the condition of items that might not be obvious right away—I sold a stereo at a yard sale a few years ago, but I had taped a bright-green sign to it that said, in huge letters, CD PLAYER DOES NOT WORK.

And make sure to have plenty of cold drinks and sunscreen for yourself...yard sale days can be LOOOOOONG!

Abby (U.S.) and Ewen (Scotland): We laughed. We cried. Our witness didn't speak English. Happily married (finally), 27 December 2006.

Latest news: Green card received 16 April 2007. USCIS-free until 3 January 2009! Eligible to naturalize 3 April 2010.

Click on the "timeline" link at the left to view our timeline. And don't forget to update yours!

The London Interviews Thread: Wait times, interview dates, and chitchat for all visa types

The London Waivers Thread: For I-601 or I-212 applicants in London (UK, Ireland, and Scandinavia)

The London Graduates Thread: Moving stateside, AOS, and OT for London applicants and petitioners

all the mud in this town, all the dirt in this world

none of it sticks on you, you shake it off

'cause you're better than that, and you don't need it

there's nothing wrong with you

--Neil Finn

On second thought, let us not go to Camelot. 'Tis a silly place.

--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

good signs are key. :yes:

I know it's maybe too late to place a classified ad, but I do know the time we placed one, we had tons more traffic than other times, and definitely made the price worth it. Die hard yard salers will plan their route based on ads.

Label everything clearly, definitely. And speaking as someone that has a husband with a bad back, try to put as much on tables as possible. :)

And enter into this with the "I'm cleaning out my garage/house" mentality and don't stick to the sticker price too much. I'd rather sell something for less and get it out of the way than to have to find a place for it again. ;)

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Anything and Everything goes. At time of purchase.. or if being nice, hold something (After payment recieved) for a few hrs... but nothing more than that.. so they can get truck for bigger items (furniture comes to mind here)

if you really dont want it.. don't fuss over the original cost... got a pair of crystal goblets for $50 ea? but someone only wants to give $10 for pair? take it... less stuff to move later, and $10 > $0 (thats just an example)

James & Sara - Aug 12, 05

Humanity... destined to pass the baton shortly.

not to divert...but do you ever read rants and raves on craigslist? OMG it's hilarious

OMG yes. And Missed Connections. Some of those are hilarious. And sad.

Abby (U.S.) and Ewen (Scotland): We laughed. We cried. Our witness didn't speak English. Happily married (finally), 27 December 2006.

Latest news: Green card received 16 April 2007. USCIS-free until 3 January 2009! Eligible to naturalize 3 April 2010.

Click on the "timeline" link at the left to view our timeline. And don't forget to update yours!

The London Interviews Thread: Wait times, interview dates, and chitchat for all visa types

The London Waivers Thread: For I-601 or I-212 applicants in London (UK, Ireland, and Scandinavia)

The London Graduates Thread: Moving stateside, AOS, and OT for London applicants and petitioners

all the mud in this town, all the dirt in this world

none of it sticks on you, you shake it off

'cause you're better than that, and you don't need it

there's nothing wrong with you

--Neil Finn

On second thought, let us not go to Camelot. 'Tis a silly place.

--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Thanks guys - great tips.

We have advertised twice in 2 local papers this week, plus twice on local radio (free), signs up in stores locally and yes we are gonna put a sign on the highway too directing to it.

I let a friend in this morning who can't make the sale and she spent $69 on clothes :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Thanks guys - great tips.

We have advertised twice in 2 local papers this week, plus twice on local radio (free), signs up in stores locally and yes we are gonna put a sign on the highway too directing to it.

I let a friend in this morning who can't make the sale and she spent $69 on clothes :thumbs:

dang Sarah, you don't need us, you're doing alright already LOL

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

be ready for this..price $5 ' i give you a nickel for it'

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Well another friend bought 3 outfits tonight and paid me $50!!! They were very nice evening wear....roll on tomorrow, so far I have $120 to spend on smaller clothes :thumbs:

Timeline

Can't wait to hear how it goes Sarie..be sure to check in with us when you come in for a quick break!! :) M.

ManU2.jpg