burs

Travel after Oath, but before Passport

14 posts in this topic

My wife is likely to have her Citizenship Interview around August 15, but she is scheduled to travel on business to China on August 18 for a week. This presents a dilemma.

1. Is she allowed to travel on her Russian national passport with a Chinese visa to China (without a greencard because it will be confiscated at the Oath ceremony) and come back to the U.S. using just her Certificate of Naturalization? Any possible problems at the Chinese border? U.S. border?

2. If the above is not allowed, can we postpone her interview until after she comes back from China? Does the postponement result in a significant delay of a new interview? Who would we contact to delay the interview?

Thanks,

burs.

Edited by burs

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Will need US passport in order to re-enter the USA.

Similar question yesterday. http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...=132619&hl=

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

hold up....you say on August 15th its her interview, and she leaves on August 18th....ok there is no problem.

She can still travel on her Russian passport because she's only having her interview, UNLESS they do same day oath ceremonies, then no she won't be allowed, she'll need to have a U.S. passport.

because usually, and by rule of the thumb after your interview, they are meant to schedule your oath cermony within 90 days after your interview, so if she'll be back before the 90 days, well then no problem

Oct 29th 2004 -Met online
Oct 29th -First phone call
Dec 25th -She purposed and i said Yes!
May 10th I-130 Packet and Packet 3 sent off to me by the U.S. Consulate
May 16th -Received Packets 1-3 from the U.S. consulate
June 29th -I arrived in Puerto-Rico!
July 2nd -Married in Mayaguez, Puerto-Rico and also got our interview date for September 6th
August 17th -We arrived in Australia to file for Sep. 6th
September 6th - Filed DCF in Sydney and approved 1 hour later!
September 12 -Received my passport with the visa and yellow packet
November 24th -POE.......Guam,USA
December 12, 2005-Green Card arrived in the mail
September 11, 2007 -Filed I-751 on conditions
September 17 -VSC Receives my I-751 and issues NOA1
Oct 10 -Had biometrics taken in San Juan, Puerto Rico ASC
Oct 12 -Touched.
Aug 21, 2008 -Approved!...........finally
Sep 17, 2008 -Mailed off N-400
Oct 22, 2008 -Biometrics taken in San Juan ASC
Feb 12, 2009 -N-400 Interview
Feb 26, 2009 -Oath.....the end.

....................................*What we do in this life will have an echo in the life to come*...............................

hold up....you say on August 15th its her interview, and she leaves on August 18th....ok there is no problem.

She can still travel on her Russian passport because she's only having her interview, UNLESS they do same day oath ceremonies, then no she won't be allowed, she'll need to have a U.S. passport.

because usually, and by rule of the thumb after your interview, they are meant to schedule your oath cermony within 90 days after your interview, so if she'll be back before the 90 days, well then no problem

Right on, mate. That's a splendid idea. As long as they don't confiscate her greencard during the interview, that would be the course of action to follow.

Thanks to you as well, Yu.

Edited by burs

Filed: Timeline

Right on, mate. That's a splendid idea. As long as they don't confiscate her greencard during the interview, that would be the course of action to follow.

Thanks to you as well, Yu.

hey guys, I have one more question, my interview date is July 24th, and I will be travelling out side of US on late Oct and then be back in early Feb '09, if i was scheduled for the oath ceremony after Oct can I reschedule it to Feb after I come back? It will be more than 3 month, Is it possible to do that? Does anyone know?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
hey guys, I have one more question, my interview date is July 24th, and I will be travelling out side of US on late Oct and then be back in early Feb '09, if i was scheduled for the oath ceremony after Oct can I reschedule it to Feb after I come back? It will be more than 3 month, Is it possible to do that? Does anyone know?

erm, you'll have 90 days between July and October, if approved you should have the oath ceremony before leaving.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: Timeline

erm, you'll have 90 days between July and October, if approved you should have the oath ceremony before leaving.

I will be leaving on Oct 21th.I mean IF they shceduled the Oath, say Oct 22nd (just assuming very last day of the 90 days range). I hope that will not happen but just in case so I know how to deal with it coz i also have to count the days that takes to issue me a US passport and the days the country I am going to issues me a visa....

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

I will be leaving on Oct 21th.I mean IF they shceduled the Oath, say Oct 22nd (just assuming very last day of the 90 days range). I hope that will not happen but just in case so I know how to deal with it coz i also have to count the days that takes to issue me a US passport and the days the country I am going to issues me a visa....

can someone answer this, please? i'm curious as well if there is a chance to reschedule the oath ceremony?

met online: August, 2002 - yahoo music chat room

met in real life: July, 2004 - Venice, Italy

K1

filed @NSC - Sept. 2004 / approved - Jan. 2005

married: April 2005

AOS

May 2005 - applied for AOS - Chicago

transferred to CSC - approved without interview: October, 2005

REMOVAL of Conditional Status

received on 09/10/2007 @ NSC- transferred to CSC again

check cleared: 09/29/2007

NOA1 in the mail: 10/02/2007 (notice date: 09/10/2007)

biometrics: 11/01/2007

10 year card production ordered: 12/03/2007

approval notice sent: 12/07/2007

10 year card received in the mail: 12/10/2007

Application for NATURALIZATION

sent off to NSC: 07/17/2008

07/19 - delivered at NSC - at 2 AM

07/24 - check cleared

07/28 - received NOA1 (dated 07/21) - expected wait time until interview - 240 days

08/14 - biometrics appointment

10/20 - naturalization interview appointment! - APPROVED!

11/12 - oath ceremony - CHECK!

and we are done with USCIS! yaooohoooo!!!! :)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

First you have to make sure you do not break continous residency while you are away. Second you do not request an oath date, they give it to you. If you ask to reschedual you leave it to them to reschedual which can be months to years. Some have gotten a reschedual fairly quickly (month or two) others have waited over a year while others have gotten lost back into the system.

If it is a matter of life and death that you leave then write to postpone it and then when you return just wait and wait until they decide to put you back in the system...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Someone here posted, he got to recite the oath within two hours of his interview, how did he do that? And if you do get your citizenship paper, won't that get you back in with a foreign passport without the green card? Was able to bring my wife back into this country with an expired green card and that one year extension notice, seems like US citizenship papers should be more effective. That was as weird as hell, finally met a guy that works for the government where I didn't have to spend hours or days explaining why my wife has an expired green card.

Then there is the trip itself, if employer based, normally no way in hell can you get that trip postponed unless you quit, regardless of the reason, when they say go, you go. But miracles do happen, once in a great while.

Ha, still think the USCIS is tracking our everyday movements, when nothing is going on, nothing happens, but schedule a trip and they schedule an interview at the same time. But they must be screwing up with your wife, why did they schedule her interview three days ahead of time? Should have been scheduled the same day or the day after she is suppose to leave.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline
Someone here posted, he got to recite the oath within two hours of his interview, how did he do that? And if you do get your citizenship paper, won't that get you back in with a foreign passport without the green card? Was able to bring my wife back into this country with an expired green card and that one year extension notice, seems like US citizenship papers should be more effective. That was as weird as hell, finally met a guy that works for the government where I didn't have to spend hours or days explaining why my wife has an expired green card.

Then there is the trip itself, if employer based, normally no way in hell can you get that trip postponed unless you quit, regardless of the reason, when they say go, you go. But miracles do happen, once in a great while.

Ha, still think the USCIS is tracking our everyday movements, when nothing is going on, nothing happens, but schedule a trip and they schedule an interview at the same time. But they must be screwing up with your wife, why did they schedule her interview three days ahead of time? Should have been scheduled the same day or the day after she is suppose to leave.

I am one of the super lucky ones who had the Oath a few hours after I was approved, some offices do it that way(Baltimore is one of them), I am not sure what you're asking when you say *see bold*. To answer your question...no, your naturalization certificate is not a travel document, you need to get a US passport in order to travel abroad once they take your green card at the Oath. Once you are a US citizen the USA only recognizes your US passport in order to enter/exit the country, your foreign one is only good for when you get back to your homecountry or some third place. I would assume that if you have a business trip or something else planned, you can reschedule the Oath after that, but I do not know if there is a maximum time limit between the 2 events.

U.S. CITIZEN SINCE MAY 8TH 2008

NATURALIZATION

28th july 2007 - N-400 mailed to VSC

(exactly on the 90th day mark...applications NOT returned although some scared me into thinking they could have!)

30th july 2007 - N-400 delivered to VSC

11th august 2007 - Delivery Confirmation receipt received

17th september 2007 - Money Order (FINALLY!) cashed

9th november 2007 - NOA! (notification period given 180 days)

21th november 2007 - Biometrics appointment letter

18th december 2007 - Biometrics appointment in Baltimore, MD completed

29th march 2008 - FINALLY received letter with interview date!

8th may 2008 H 8:40 AM - Interview in Baltimore-APPROVED!

8th may 2008 H 3:00 pm (yes same day, crazy!) Oath Ceremony in Baltimore

24th may 2008 - US Passport application mailed off

6th june 2008 - US Passport received in the mail!!!

And if you do get your citizenship paper, won't that get you back in with a foreign passport without the green card? Was able to bring my wife back into this country with an expired green card and that one year extension notice, seems like US citizenship papers should be more effective.

That worked for your situation because your wife was not a US Citizen, and it's the approved way to do things.

But once a person becomes a US Citizen, they need a US Passport to travel internationally (with limited exceptions for land and sea travel to Canada, Mexico, and the Carribbean, but those limited exceptions will soon be phased out).

A person who has taken the oath of citizenship but not yet received a US passport has exactly the same status as any other US Citizen who doesn't have a US passport. They're not allowed to travel internationally (with the above limited exceptions) until they get a passport. You can get a passport pretty quickly these days, if you're willing to pay for expedited service.

Going to your interview is not the same as taking the oath of citizenship. A person who has passed their interview but not yet taken the oath is still a Green Card holder. They don't take the Green Card away until the person becomes a citizen, and the person doesn't become a citizen until taking the oath.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
And if you do get your citizenship paper, won't that get you back in with a foreign passport without the green card? Was able to bring my wife back into this country with an expired green card and that one year extension notice, seems like US citizenship papers should be more effective.

That worked for your situation because your wife was not a US Citizen, and it's the approved way to do things.

But once a person becomes a US Citizen, they need a US Passport to travel internationally (with limited exceptions for land and sea travel to Canada, Mexico, and the Carribbean, but those limited exceptions will soon be phased out).

A person who has taken the oath of citizenship but not yet received a US passport has exactly the same status as any other US Citizen who doesn't have a US passport. They're not allowed to travel internationally (with the above limited exceptions) until they get a passport. You can get a passport pretty quickly these days, if you're willing to pay for expedited service.

Going to your interview is not the same as taking the oath of citizenship. A person who has passed their interview but not yet taken the oath is still a Green Card holder. They don't take the Green Card away until the person becomes a citizen, and the person doesn't become a citizen until taking the oath.

Interesting, so with a foreign passport that is not so easy to get if you are a permanent resident here, they will let you back in with a green card, but not as a U.S. citizen.

With the USCIS, we are in effect, a paying customer, and normally in such situations where an appointment is required, it's mutually agreed upon. But you wait months if not years for this appointment, and either you show up at their prescribed time, or you are screwed.

And then somebody asks? What can we do about it?

Either show up at the appointed time, or you are screwed, I guess.

My wife is likely to have her Citizenship Interview around August 15, but she is scheduled to travel on business to China on August 18 for a week. This presents a dilemma.

1. Is she allowed to travel on her Russian national passport with a Chinese visa to China (without a greencard because it will be confiscated at the Oath ceremony) and come back to the U.S. using just her Certificate of Naturalization? Any possible problems at the Chinese border? U.S. border?

Could be done with some difficulty; so long as she makes a journey-break in YVR (Vancouver); she can then enter through the PFI showing her Naturalisation Certificate (admittedly, this is much inconvenient) and NO passport.

2. If the above is not allowed, can we postpone her interview until after she comes back from China? Does the postponement result in a significant delay of a new interview? Who would we contact to delay the interview?

Thanks,

burs.

Yes, she can ask for a delay--don't worry about how much (delay) Edited by CherryXS

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.