47 posts in this topic

Re the envelope - your idea is the best one yet. To answer, it was addressed only to her. And yes, I did open it inadvertently. I believe a copy was likely sent to an immigration attorney she might have retained...although I am not certain.

I still am not sure whether I should let her know about the interview...leaning towards no. If she doesn't attend, I believe the case is abandoned. However, I think it can be revived upon a showing of good faith - something that'd be hard to prove if she neglected to change her address. Then again, USIC could've overlooked the change notice, which seems to happen regularly. Many possibilities.

Hi there,

I'm no expert at all, and the mermaid's advice does sound pretty good to me, but ... If I were you ... I would reseal the envelope as carefully as possible and 'return' it 'to sender', just in case my (soon-to-be-ex, I hope!) wife turned the faux pas of opening the letter against me, what with that being a (silly) federal offence an' all.

Of course that would mean that I hadn't read the contents of the letter and therefore couldn't know about the interview and couldn't inform my wife ... Hopefully she wouldn't find out about the AOS interview any other way. Rather than going to the interview, I would book myself an Infopass apppointment (hopefully getting one that's prior to the unknown interview date ;) ) to discuss my situation with them face to face.

Just my inexperienced tuppenceworth.

All the best,

Sheila

Edited by Tex'n'Brit

All the best,

Sheila

(AKA Brit)

=======================================

Jun 01-2005: I-129F is at TSC

Sep 21-2005: K-1 Visa!

Oct 16-2005: Moved To DFW!

Oct 23-2005:
Wedding!

Mar 09-2006:
Green Card!

Mar 07-2008: I-751 (Lifting conditions) sent

Apr 17-2008: Biometrics Appt

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Is everyone maintaining that a spouse may not legally open their spouse's mail, that comes to your joint address?

uh oh. Call me a felon.

/dry wittiness

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: Timeline
Is everyone maintaining that a spouse may not legally open their spouse's mail, that comes to your joint address?

uh oh. Call me a felon.

/dry wittiness

I believe as long as the spouse has given permission, it's ok. In this case, she has left and *could* make issue of it, if she wished. I doubt that much would come of it, personally, but it's best not to be placed on the defensive, where it is avoidable. My recommendation was that the OP is an officer of the Court and might feel better claiming excusable inadvertance, rather than anything else.

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline
My letter of withdrawal along with a ton of evidence indicating marriage fraud crossed the approved AOS in the mail. Shortly thereafter, the alien's greencard arrived.
I handed her the Green Card -- after meeting with an AOS supervisor who informed me I was basically screwed and that after 2 years, she would have to remove the conditional status alone - which is possible upon satisfying the burden of proof of bona fide marriage - a small hurdle at this stage.

After reading the OP's statements again, maybe I am missing something here.

Why in the World did you give her the GC?

It's illegal to withhold it until a final decision is made by immigration.

Filed: Other Timeline

Here's my work-around for the open mail issue. She didn't leave me with her forwarding address or number. I have no other way to reach her except for email. Even so, I don't believe I have a duty to convey her mail to her. It's just not reasonable. The only real duty people to take action (aside from paying taxes) is is to help their spouse if they are in danger. So, is the risk of being deported amount to danger? Negative - danger in this case is defined as physical danger!

I think I'll pay a visit to the AOS supervisor who I've befriended and return the letter in that fashion - in addition to other incriminating information.

Edited by greencardgamesucker

Timeline
I think I'll pay a visit to the AOS supervisor who I've befriended and return the letter in that fashion - in addition to other incriminating information.

Hopefully after it has fallen into your copier....

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

Here's my work-around for the open mail issue. She didn't leave me with her forwarding address or number. I have no other way to reach her except for email. Even so, I don't believe I have a duty to convey her mail to her. It's just not reasonable. The only real duty people to take action (aside from paying taxes) is is to help their spouse if they are in danger. So, is the risk of being deported amount to danger? Negative - danger in this case is defined as physical danger!

Hopefully after it has fallen into your copier....

Accidents do happen :whistle:

Yes indeed they do! B)

Oh to have had the local AOS supervisor as a pal!! But having said that, I'm very sorry that you need help under these circumstances. At the risk of being a sticky beak - Please do let us know how you get on won't you?

BTW, I meant to say - you're not a sucker. You shouldn't beat yourself up over it - you can't help who you fall in love with. particularly when this sort of ***** has usually been very well trained by friends, family and other scumbags and they know exactly how to manipulate an honest, trusting person like you. I know it's easy for me to say, but I bet you'll find a real person sometime soon, when you're ready to get out there again. (F)

All the best,

Sheila

Edited by Tex'n'Brit

All the best,

Sheila

(AKA Brit)

=======================================

Jun 01-2005: I-129F is at TSC

Sep 21-2005: K-1 Visa!

Oct 16-2005: Moved To DFW!

Oct 23-2005:
Wedding!

Mar 09-2006:
Green Card!

Mar 07-2008: I-751 (Lifting conditions) sent

Apr 17-2008: Biometrics Appt

Filed: IR-5 Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi there,

I'm sorry that you were fooled like this :angry: . It is indeed because of fraudsters like this person that the innocent and true people are scrutinised and grilled at interviews.

Let us know how things go and best wishes to you.

Kat :luv:

I-130 for both parents

March 28th 2013 - Priority date/ NOA 1
November 14th 2013 - Transferred to Nebraska Service Center

January 7th 2014 - Case changed online to approved for both

January 8th 2014 - case changed to shipped to NVC

January 9th 2014 - case changed to NOA 2 mailed

January 10th 2014 - Received the hardcopy of the NOA 2 stating that NVC would issue a case number in 30 days approx.

January 21st 2014 - Case Received at NVC

February 26th 2014 - Case numbers and IIN number received - Wrong embassy code assigned...now waiting for new case numbers.

March 3rd 2014 - Filled in DS-261 for both parents

March 5th 2014- AOS available, paid and submitted AOS packet.

March 6th 2014 - USPS shows packet was delivered at NVC

March 10th 2014 - AOS shows as paid in the CEAC portal/AOS logged into system as being received by NVC.

March 11th 2014 - New case number assigned for my Dad.

March 20th 2014 - Paid IV fee for my Mum.

March 25th 2014 - AOS accepted by NVC with no checklist.

March 26th 2014 - Filled in and submitted DS-260 for my Mum

March 31st 2014 - AOS found in my Mum's file for my Dad - accepted and placed into his file/IV fee available for my Dad and Paid.

April 1st - Mailed all civil documents to NVC for both parents.

April 3rd: IV fee shows as paid in portal/submitted DS-260 for my Dad.

April 22nd: checklist issued for civil documents - NVC error ...

April 23rd: sent another certified copy of my marriage certificate

April 24th: Case complete! :)

April 30th 2014 - Medical scheduled for parents at Knightsbridge in London

June 11th: Interview at London Embassy - Approved :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I am sorry but it's hard to believe it!

Are you sure that she has done that or you're just trying to make her life miserable because it didn't work out???

Stop wasting your energy on destroying things.

What are you gonna gain???

Be productive and build things!

Absolutely not. He needs to protect himself. He needs to document and prove that he was the innocent unknowing victim in this situation, to prevent being implicated in immigration fraud. The actions that he is taking are prudent and correct.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Personally I wouldn't do anything about it. Return it to USCIS marked 'not at this address, address unknown'. and let them worry about it. If she was supposed to show up for an interview now and never does her greencard would be revoked for lack of attendance, and when she tries to lift conditions (if she ever bothers) they'd tell her that no, she was illegal. She may have used you and hurt you but right now she's not your problem any more.

You did your bit when you reported the fraud to USCIS and revoked your petition and went along to tell them that she used you. That's your part of the deal over with.

Karen - Melbourne, Australia/John - Florida, USA

- Proposal (20 August 2000) to marriage (19 December 2004) - 4 years, 3 months, 25 days (1,578 days)

STAGE 1 - Applying for K1 (15 September 2003) to K1 Approval (13 July 2004) - 9 months, 29 days (303 days)

STAGE 2A - Arriving in US (4 Nov 2004) to AOS Application (16 April 2005) - 5 months, 13 days (164 days)

STAGE 2B - Applying for AOS to GC Approval - 9 months, 4 days (279 days)

STAGE 3 - Lifting Conditions. Filing (19 Dec 2007) to Approval (December 11 2008)

STAGE 4 - CITIZENSHIP (filing under 5-year rule - residency start date on green card Jan 11th, 2006)

*N400 filed December 15, 2011

*Interview March 12, 2012

*Oath Ceremony March 23, 2012.

ALL DONE!!!!!!!!

Filed: Timeline
Personally I wouldn't do anything about it. Return it to USCIS marked 'not at this address, address unknown'. and let them worry about it. If she was supposed to show up for an interview now and never does her greencard would be revoked for lack of attendance, and when she tries to lift conditions (if she ever bothers) they'd tell her that no, she was illegal. She may have used you and hurt you but right now she's not your problem any more.

You did your bit when you reported the fraud to USCIS and revoked your petition and went along to tell them that she used you. That's your part of the deal over with.

Unfortunately, "she's not your problem anymore" doesn't apply anymore. Have a look at this landmark and precedent-setting case. Although when parties go their own separate ways, it might or might not arise, but in cases where there is clear fraud going on and that goes to "character" and "evil intentions", and the matter is not resolved to the satisfaction of the US citizen ex-spouse, then it makes me believe that a whole new problem could arise.

The recent Stump v Stump case in Pennsylvania, in Federal Court, ruled that the sponsor was liable. An alien after leaving a marriage of one year sued the US citizen ex-spouse for maintenance at 125% poverty guideline, as opposed to seeking spousal support, using the signature on the I-864 as the grounds for relief. The Federal Court agreed that the Affidavit of Support was an instrument demonstrating strict liability and barring the US citizen from defense and simply assessed damages.

http://www.ilw.com/articles/2006,0110-wheeler.shtm

http://www.immigdaily/cases/2005,1107-stump1.pdf

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Poor old stump had a crappy lawyer. At the end of the first link is about a dozen defenses that should have been raised. Each onw has excellent merit.

As for the letter

" What letter "? " I don't know what you are talking about. Please don't call me again"!!!

10 Nov mailed I 129F to TSC

16 Nov 29 Nov Notice date

3 Dec Received NOA 1

3 Jan 05 Please I just want to be touched

3 may 05 NOA2 E mail notification

7 May 05 Mail NOA2

11 May 05 sent petition to Bogota

18 May Packet 3 arrived

19 May Checklist taken to consulate

31 May Packet 4 delivered

29 June visa granted

1 July Visa delivered

Sometime in July Lucero came to US

13 Sept 05 Married

1 Nov 05 -USCIS recieved 485 and EAD

13 December RFE stupid things I should have included Returned very quickly

27 March received bio letter for New Orleans

7 Apr_06 Bio done in New Orleans

20 April 06 Touched on all applications

21 April Email received EAD approved

27 Apr Received EAD card

30 May 2006 Received appointment letter for JaX on 13 July 2006

13 July Interview successful approved

20 July Received green card

30 June 08 Sent I751 to remove conditions

25 July 08 Application returned erroneously incorrect fee

27 July mailed new application with separate checks

15 Sept 08 Application returned erroneously K2 not within 90 day timeframe

17 Sept Mailed 3rd application with mountains of proof of error copied Senator Mel Martinez

09 October 4th application package sent. This time they said the app signature page was a copy

10 Oct Sent package again 4th time.

25 Oct Received another NOA for Wife with $625 for the amount with one year extension

30 Oct 2008 Still nothing for step daughter. Checks still haven't cleared the bank

24 November Checks finally cleared the bank

February biometrics for wife Nothing for daughter.

Timeline
You are right - my issue with Stump is that the alien can leave the day after filing the affidavit and be in the clear - if the case is expedited. No family court would ever provide alimony for a day marriage. However, Stump paves the way for support.

GCGS,

A thought. I've read the Stump case before, I just didn't recognize the name. However, all her weasely excuses rang a bell ;)

IF this were really valid case law, wouldn't you expect to see others using it? I find it odd that this is the one and only published case that anyone has ever been able to produce.

And I think it could be easily argued that 'maintaining' the 125%PG does not mean that the Sponsor must provide that figure (for a one person household), but must factor in the alien's earnings and 'top them up' if you will to the 125% figure. Of course, I always thought that was pretty weak, because who wants to live on that low amount?

I also think that's hooey about the I-864 being enforceable before LPR is granted. That has *got* to be a one-time finding!

<sigh>

Hope today was better for you, and tomorrow better than today.

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.