James_n_Karen

Travel Advice When K1 is in Process

18 posts in this topic

Hi there,

As we all know that the K1 processing time is uncertainty, it could be less than 100 days or more than 200 days, you'll never know. I plan on having a trip to the US to visit my fiance as soon as we have our NOA1 in hand so that we can spend some time being together and plan for the wedding. I am not sure if it is advisable for me to do so. Yes, this type of question has been asked here before, but I am little confused still as some say yes, some say no. Parson me for the repeat question...

Also, I am not going to the US under VWP (Singapore PR is ineligible) and my original citizenship (Malaysia) requires me to have the B2 visit in order to enter the US for visiting.

I recently graduated from college, and am now unemployed. I do know of it that all the social visa applicants need to proof their strong tie to the country by providing employer letter, pay stubs, bank account statements etc. Since my fiance is more than willing to cover all the expenses, so basically sufficient fund for traveling is not an issue, but the sad thing is I do not have a job right now, can I just show to the consulates our NOA1 and a verified letter from school saying that I need to come back for my graduation ceremony in August? Besides the mentioned two, I cannot think of other. :blink: Would that be enough to show I will return after the visit? After all, I need to go for the medical exam and have the K1 interview at where it's stated in the I-129F petition in order to get the entire K1 approved...

My biggest concern is if I was not granted a B2 Visa, would it soon affect our K1 outcome? Would it delay the K1 process? Again, would that affect the K1 outcome if I got denied to enter to the US at the port? I have heard it did happen people got denied to enter to the US even they have the visa in hand or under VWP... :blink:

Thanks in advance for all the advice. I really enjoy reading the experience you guys have shared here. Great Job!!! We too, would love to share ours once our petition starts rolling...

Regards,

Karen

K1 TimeLine:

July 21 2008 ~~ Sent I-129F Package via FedEx to VSC

Jan 30 2009 ~~ Interview

Feb 06 2009 ~~ Visa Received

AOS TimeLine:

April 14 2009 ~~ Sent I-485 Package via FedEx to Chicago Lockbox

April 22 2009 ~~ NOAs for AOS/AP/EAD

April 23 2009 ~~ Check Cashed

May 11 2009 ~~ CSC Transfer Notice Received

May 29 2009 ~~ AP Approval Notice Received

June 17 2009 ~~ Biometric Appointment

July 23 2009 ~~ Card Production Ordered Notice Received without Interview

July 30 2009 ~~ Green Card Received in Mail

ROC TimeLine:

May 27 2011 ~~ Sent I-751 Package to VSC

June 1 2011 ~~ Package Received

June 7 2011 ~~ Check Cashed

June 8 2011 ~~ NOA Received (dated June 1)

June 29 2011 ~~ Biometric Appointment Letter Received (scheduled on July 25 @12noon)

Jan 31 2012 ~~ Approval Notice Received without Interview

March 7 2012 ~~ Green Card Received in Mail

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Guatemala
Timeline

You'll receive the same type of answers, some will say yes.. some will say no.

Denying the entry to the U.S. territory to an alien (whether the alien has a visa or travles under the VWP), will always be the CBP prerrogative, whether there is K-1 pending or not.

All you can do is try, if you think it's worth the risk and you are willing to take it, then you should try.

The denial of a B-2 or even the denial at the POE, has no effect on the K-1 processing time.

APPLIED FOR NATURALIZATION 07/2021

08.01.2011 - I-751 SENT

08.05.2011 - Check cashed

08.08.2011- NOA Received

08.19.2011 - Biometrics Letter Received

09.12.2011 - Biometrics Appointment

01.27.2012 - Card production ordered

02.01.2012 - 10 year GC Received

07.25.2021 - N400 filed online

08.09.2021- Biometrics re-use notice

04.18.2022- Interview done at Minneapolis USCIS Local Office   ✔️ Received N-652 "Congratulations your application has been recommended for approval" during the interview.

05.19.2022- Oath Ceremony in MN

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Being denied a visitor's visa will have no effect on the K-1 visa process, being denied entry on VWP also has no effect on the K-1 either.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I think if you are willing to take the time and expense to attempt a visitor visa, why not? The worst they can do is say no.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Timeline

Check out this information, it might be helpful if you decide to apply.

RECOMMENDED SUPPLEMENTAL DOCUMENTS FOR B-2 INTERVIEW

To qualify for a B1/B2 visa, you have to demonstrate that:

your situation here in Singapore or in another foreign country, whatever it may be, is stable and attractive enough that you will return to it at the end of your stay in the United States;

your visit will be for a definite, temporary period;

you have sufficient funds to cover your expenses in the United States.

No one person’s situation is exactly like anyone else’s, so there is no specific list of documents which must be submitted to address each of these points. The following are suggestions which have been useful to previous applicants:

Tourists or Social Visitors

Employment: (i) A letter from the applicant's employer stating job title, salary, and date of hire; and, (ii) The applicant's three most recent pay slips.

Bank statements: Monthly statements or passbook showing account activity for the past three months (bank reference letters are not useful for this purpose). Only personal documents are accepted – do not submit statements for company accounts.

Income: Your most current income tax notice (IRA Form 4020).

Spouses and Minors may submit the documents of their spouse or parent; however, they should provide proof of the relationship by including a marriage or birth certificate.

U.S. Embassy in Singapore

08.01.2011 - I-751 SENT

08.08.2011- NOA Received

04.18.2022- Interview done at Minneapolis USCIS Local Office   ✔️ Received N-652 "Congratulations your application has been recommended for approval" during the interview.

How about both OP and fiancé meet in a third country (sales pitch--Calgary, Canada)?

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Timeline
How about both OP and fiancé meet in a third country (sales pitch--Calgary, Canada)?

Well, I think they want to plan their wedding, so that might not work.

IMO, The $131.00 visa fee is not that much money to give it a try.

Edited by eric_and_teresa

08.01.2011 - I-751 SENT

08.08.2011- NOA Received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Hi there,

As we all know that the K1 processing time is uncertainty, it could be less than 100 days or more than 200 days, you'll never know. I plan on having a trip to the US to visit my fiance as soon as we have our NOA1 in hand so that we can spend some time being together and plan for the wedding. I am not sure if it is advisable for me to do so. Yes, this type of question has been asked here before, but I am little confused still as some say yes, some say no. Parson me for the repeat question...

Also, I am not going to the US under VWP (Singapore PR is ineligible) and my original citizenship (Malaysia) requires me to have the B2 visit in order to enter the US for visiting.

I recently graduated from college, and am now unemployed. I do know of it that all the social visa applicants need to proof their strong tie to the country by providing employer letter, pay stubs, bank account statements etc. Since my fiance is more than willing to cover all the expenses, so basically sufficient fund for traveling is not an issue, but the sad thing is I do not have a job right now, can I just show to the consulates our NOA1 and a verified letter from school saying that I need to come back for my graduation ceremony in August? Besides the mentioned two, I cannot think of other. :blink: Would that be enough to show I will return after the visit? After all, I need to go for the medical exam and have the K1 interview at where it's stated in the I-129F petition in order to get the entire K1 approved...

My biggest concern is if I was not granted a B2 Visa, would it soon affect our K1 outcome? Would it delay the K1 process? Again, would that affect the K1 outcome if I got denied to enter to the US at the port? I have heard it did happen people got denied to enter to the US even they have the visa in hand or under VWP... :blink:

Thanks in advance for all the advice. I really enjoy reading the experience you guys have shared here. Great Job!!! We too, would love to share ours once our petition starts rolling...

Regards,

Karen

Hi Karen,

From personal experience (I'm pretty sure I posted this already, but just in case you haven't come across that thread and find it useful).

I am originally from Ukraine. During K1 process I was working in Indonesia. Wanted to spend Christmas with my fiance in the US, applied for B2 visa. Told them I had I-129F filed om my behalf, showed my contract with a global company (good wages) + a letter from the company confirming all the above AND my fiannce's contract negotiations in Indonesia proving I had something to come back to (had a job there and my fiance was on his way). They still said "NO", told me I should wait for my K1.

Did it have any influence on my K1 - not in the least.You can read more about the interview on my timeline sheet, if you like.

If you have an extra $100 for B2 interview, you could give a shot though (didn't hurt me). As long as you're honest with them, it's ok.

Hope this helps.

Uniting for Ukraine

2022-05-14 I-134 (1) Submitted

2022-05-17 I-134 (1) Case confirmed

2022-05-17 Beneficiary (1) e-mail received, USCIS account created

2022-05-17 I-134 (2) Submitted

2022-05-19 I-134 (2) Approved

2022-05-19 Beneficiary (2) e-mail received, added to travel group

2022-05-20 Information submitted to USCBP

2022-05-20 Travel documents received
2022-06-14 Arrived (Houston, TX)
2022-06-20 I-765 Sent
2022-06-24 I-797C NOA receipt
2022-07-20 ASC notice received
2022-07-24 Biometrics appointment

F4 Visa Journey
2014-04-24  I-130 filed

2022-03-02  Expedite request submitted
2022-03-07  Expedite request approved

2022-03-16  I-130 approved

2022-04-30  NVC case created

2022-05-05  Case not eligible for further processing

K1 Visa Journey
2006-10-10  I-129F filed

2007-07-24  K1 visa received

2008-04-11 - AOS filed

2009-03-24 - AOS approved

2011-01-11 - Lifting conditions filed

2011-03-21 - Lifting conditions approved

2013-02-02 - Naturalization filed

2013-05-09 - Naturalization approved

2013-09-24 - Oath ceremony

Hi there,

Regards,

Karen

Hi Karen,

From personal experience (I'm pretty sure I posted this already, but just in case you haven't come across that thread and find it useful).

I am originally from Ukraine. During K1 process I was working in Indonesia. Wanted to spend Christmas with my fiance in the US, applied for B2 visa. Told them I had I-129F filed om my behalf, showed my contract with a global company (good wages) + a letter from the company confirming all the above AND my fiannce's contract negotiations in Indonesia proving I had something to come back to (had a job there and my fiance was on his way). They still said "NO", told me I should wait for my K1.

Did it have any influence on my K1 - not in the least.You can read more about the interview on my timeline sheet, if you like.

If you have an extra $100 for B2 interview, you could give a shot though (didn't hurt me). As long as you're honest with them, it's ok.

Hope this helps.

Dear Vika,

Yes, I did come across your experience. I am sorry to learn about your incident. Besides other related websites, I have been browsing like crazy on here before and after I signed up as a member. We are trying our best to avoid minor/major mistake in the I-129F petition, we do not wish to receive any RFE, yes, no big deal to receive one but it somewhat delays the process for another couple of week, "precaution better than cure"...At any rate, I am happy for you as you are now on the AOS track... :dance:

I shall discuss it with my fiance for more whether it is worthwhile for giving it a try applying B2 or not. Thanks for your advice here, wishing you GOOD LUCK in your AOS journey, I truly believe you'll do fine. :star:

May my God with you...

Regards,

Karen

K1 TimeLine:

Jan 30 2009 ~~ Interview

AOS TimeLine:

ROC TimeLine:

June 29 2011 ~~ Biometric Appointment Letter Received (scheduled on July 25 @12noon)

Check out this information, it might be helpful if you decide to apply.

RECOMMENDED SUPPLEMENTAL DOCUMENTS FOR B-2 INTERVIEW

To qualify for a B1/B2 visa, you have to demonstrate that:

your situation here in Singapore or in another foreign country, whatever it may be, is stable and attractive enough that you will return to it at the end of your stay in the United States;

your visit will be for a definite, temporary period;

you have sufficient funds to cover your expenses in the United States.

No one person’s situation is exactly like anyone else’s, so there is no specific list of documents which must be submitted to address each of these points. The following are suggestions which have been useful to previous applicants:

Tourists or Social Visitors

Employment: (i) A letter from the applicant's employer stating job title, salary, and date of hire; and, (ii) The applicant's three most recent pay slips.

Bank statements: Monthly statements or passbook showing account activity for the past three months (bank reference letters are not useful for this purpose). Only personal documents are accepted – do not submit statements for company accounts.

Income: Your most current income tax notice (IRA Form 4020).

Spouses and Minors may submit the documents of their spouse or parent; however, they should provide proof of the relationship by including a marriage or birth certificate.

U.S. Embassy in Singapore

Dear eric_and_teresa,

Since my day one on here, I have seen a lot of your given advice. You're always that helpful! :thumbs:

I just graduated, and am not under employment at the moment, so there is no way for me to get an employer letter and pay stubs. :(

I have kept all my Singapore income tax notices (IRA Form 4020) from the first copy in 1999 until I got back to school in December 2004, but the 3 most recent one was with zero income as I was schooling. :blink:

I would have sufficient fund stated in my bank account for traveling.

US$ 131 is not an issue for me to go for the B2, the "grilling" process during the B2 interview and at the port could be awful, but causing delay or denial on the K1 is what I am worried the most. Since many of you say has it no effect on the K1 if I got denied on the B2, that relieves and eases me to some extend. "Crossing my Fingers" that everything would go smoothly if we decided to go for it...

Another question is, what should I write in the DS-156 form for the purpose to the US? Should I put it : Visiting and preparing wedding? or solely visiting?

Anyway, I shall discuss it with my fiance for more whether it is worthwhile for giving it a try applying B2 or not.

Once again, thanks eric_and_teresa, your advice is very much appreciated.

Regards,

Karen

K1 TimeLine:

Jan 30 2009 ~~ Interview

AOS TimeLine:

ROC TimeLine:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I would try, but the chances are probably not high. Unemployed, woman, fiance in US, but you never know, right?

I would not mention the word wedding at all. Just say visiting. Spending some time with your friend. Travelling while you are waiting for your graduation ceremony ...

Sometimes it is easier than thought and sometimes it is difficult.

My fiance (and his children) never had a problem visiting me on VWP while the K1 process was going.

Wishing you luck.

Sib

I would try, but the chances are probably not high. Unemployed, woman, fiance in US, but you never know, right?

I would not mention the word wedding at all. Just say visiting. Spending some time with your friend. Travelling while you are waiting for your graduation ceremony ...

Sometimes it is easier than thought and sometimes it is difficult.

My fiance (and his children) never had a problem visiting me on VWP while the K1 process was going.

Wishing you luck.

Sib

Thanks Sib, we would give it a try, hopefully I am offered a job before the B2 interview.

Got it, I would just say visiting to the US while waiting for the graduation ceremony/before starting to work. Mentioning wedding is a big NO NO like what you've said...

Wishing you all the best, sib! :star:

K1 TimeLine:

Jan 30 2009 ~~ Interview

AOS TimeLine:

ROC TimeLine:

Yes, if the B2 didn't work out eventually, we would meet somewhere else, perhaps Prague. It is supposed to be our honeymoon spot, but Paris is our final decision. :)

Thanks for the suggestion!

K1 TimeLine:

Jan 30 2009 ~~ Interview

AOS TimeLine:

ROC TimeLine:

Being denied a visitor's visa will have no effect on the K-1 visa process, being denied entry on VWP also has no effect on the K-1 either.

It's good to know, thanks YuAndDan!

K1 TimeLine:

Jan 30 2009 ~~ Interview

AOS TimeLine:

ROC TimeLine:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.