GaryC

Help with my new hobby

24 posts in this topic

A long time ago I was into leather working, you know, carving designs into handbags, wallets and belts. A few weeks ago I found a Tandy store and decided to pick the hobby back up. I have done several projects for Luz and Robin and for my latest one Luz wants some fancy lettering on it. My skills at calligraphy are very limited but if I had some patterns I could transfer them to the leather for carving. Anyone have some stencils or outlines for fancy cursive lettering? I need them to be about 2" tall.

Here are some of the things I have made so far:

395dffc2.jpg

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline
Nice work, I liked them.

I agree, very nice and unusual. It caught hubby's eye too when he glanced over. Sorry I don't have any letters to offer.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

What about making your own stencils, Gary? Use your word processing software. It gives you the options of a variety of fonts. Scroll through them until you find the one you like, then you can enlarge it by increasing the point size until it appears the size you want. You may have to print it out and enlarge it on a photocopier if you can't quite get it to the size you want on the computer (around 144 point plus depending on font type), but you should be able to print out what you want and then using an exacto-knife, cut out the interior of the letter to give you your own stencil. You can also use a piece of carbon paper between the printed out letter and the leather and then go over it with a sharp point transferring the design via the carbon paper unto the leather.

Hope this helps - you do nice work.

Good luck

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Those are gorgeous.

Try searching design websites for various fonts or letters. Sometimes they have an awesome amount of stencils for all kinds of letters you could want!

Edited by Olivia*

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Thanks for all the complements. Luz really loves the bags. It works great for both of us, I have a hobby of making leather goods and she has a hobby of collecting handbags. :P

What I had in mind is a very fancy style of lettering. Something like the way John Hancock signed his name. But it needs to be thick enough for me to color in the letter. I have been doing some searching with no luck so far.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Good job Gary i like it :wow: If you want some unsual fancy fonts you can download it in this website http://www.1001freefonts.com/ or just use your google toolbar and type Downloadable Fonts. After you download you paste it on your PC (mycomputer/C:/windows/Fonts). Most of it are in zip format , unzip it before pasting. Then follow what Kathryn41 said.

I have a sample for you

GaryLuz.jpg

GaryLuz2.jpg

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

WOW! those are beautiful ,. i like the handbag 437578ff3yaigfhq.gif

PiNk

My son named Zac

"My son's smile makes my day complete"

zac-1.jpg

VErqm5.png

MY K3 TIMELINE purple4.gifVid of how I prepared my interview documents purple.gifPapers that I brought on my USEM interview

AOS TIMELINE

06.17.2010 - submitted our papers

06.19.2010 - papers arrived at Chicago lockbox

06.24.2010 - Check cashed

06.28.2010 - NOA1 Hardcopy received (9 days from the day they got our papers)

07.05.2010 - Received Biometrics Schedule (July 26)

08.05.2010 - Biometrics done! (had to re-schedule from 7/26 to 8/5)

08.13.2010 - Got my interview letter

08.20.2010 - EAD card on production

09.06.2010 - Got my EAD Card (62 days)

09.07.2010 - Applied for SSN

09.14.2010 - SSN Card received

09.16.2010 - Interview schedule (APPROVED)

09.20.2010 - Welcome Notice Received ("Welcome to the USA")

09.25.2010 - 10 yr Green Card received! (98 days)

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

ooooh! NICE.... gonna sell them to us?????? :D

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

Good job Gary i like it :wow: If you want some unsual fancy fonts you can download it in this website http://www.1001freefonts.com/ or just use your google toolbar and type Downloadable Fonts. After you download you paste it on your PC (mycomputer/C:/windows/Fonts). Most of it are in zip format , unzip it before pasting. Then follow what Kathryn41 said.

I have a sample for you

GaryLuz2.jpg

There you go!!! Thats it!! I will give this one a shot. Thank you!!!!! :luv:

Edited by GaryC

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

There is an online site called Stencil Ease, where you can buy lettering sets in all different styles and you can get different sizes. They don't seem to be too expensive if you just wanted a couple of sets, and it probably depends on the style.

Edited by Sister Fracas

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony