MrsAmera

Moving back to Morocco?

49 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi Ladies - Well Youssef and I have been talking lately about somethings and I thought I'd throw some of it out there and see what you all think. He has been here for almost four months now and we're in the process of filing our AOS papers. I have found a few good job opportunities in Morocco just browsing corporations (Hewlett Packard etc.) and have a job waiting at any time if I want to teach English (about 9000dh a month). We are thinking of moving back to Morocco once he has his green card. His mom is not doing so well (health-wise) and I really do love living there. We are considering taking out a loan or getting some type of development loan (which exist when you want to start a business in a developing country) to start some kind of business for him. Eventually I want to open a shelter for women and children in Marrakech, with job training and basic educational opportuinties but that's a little way off. We have a 2 year old and I want him to go to a French/Arabic/English private school in Marrakech. Youssef has 5 sisters in Morocco, all who love him and said that if we moved back and we were working it would be no problem for them to watch him. Part of me is really wanting to do this, but part of me feels like we're giving up by moving back. I have always wanted to live overseas and work in development projects and it seems like the perfect opportunity. It's still 1-2 years off but what do you think??

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

Have you looked into the rules regarding maintaining U.S. permanent residence status while living outside the U.S.? I just wouldn't want you to end up having to go through the whole process again if you decide that you want to come back to the U.S.

We've talked about the same thing a bit, even though we don't have any plans of leaving the U.S. in the near future. We decided that we will wait at least until Wadi gets his citizenship so that we have more options and fewer immigration isses to worry about.

And I wouldn't think of it as "giving up" at all. Whatever makes you both happy is what you should do!

Timeline

I found out you can remain out of the country for 1 year. If it is longer than that you have to get a re-entry permit. Hmm interesting, I want to think we'd come back to the US to visit before that.

Does anyone know how long you have to wait after getting your green card to apply for citizenship?

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Timeline
I found out you can remain out of the country for 1 year. If it is longer than that you have to get a re-entry permit. Hmm interesting, I want to think we'd come back to the US to visit before that.

Does anyone know how long you have to wait after getting your green card to apply for citizenship?

You can apply 2 years and 9 months after your original 2-year conditional green card date.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Amera,

I have a question? I know Jenn is correct on the citizenship time line. Now if you moved could your child go to school without it being and issue in Morocco? I know we checked if we did not get our visa about moving and the kids were not citizens from these countries and could not attend public schools. They had to attend private schools and the tuition per child per year started at 8 K and went up as the age went up. Just a thought and something to check into?

Mary

Everything I respond to is from personal knowledge, research or experience and I am in no means a lawyer or do I claim to be one. Everyone should read, research and be responsible for your own journey.

Timeline

Often tuition is waived for children of faculty at international schools. If you were to teach at your children's school, they might be able to attend for free. Something to look into...

Edited by jenn3539

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

oh very interesting topic Amera...

do you have an english language degree? i mean, do you have to have some type of degree to teach the english language at a school, etc. in morocco?

i thik that you have some lovely ideas... especially the enrichment of women in morocco! i wish you the best, and hope that you can realize your dreams one day!

Lynne

Tho' lovers be lost, love shall not... and death shall have NO dominion!

http://www.geocities.com/pulpi33/A1.htm

114959908992789.gif

The will of God will never take you,

to where the grace of God will not protect you.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Lebanon
Timeline

gosh I've been working sooo hard to get him here ... cannot even think about moving to Lebanon.

I know thats getting off topic ... but after all that hard work Amera ?? At least wait till he gets his citizenship.

Reunited and it feels so good ....

NOA #1 - March 23rd, 2004

Interview- May 18th, 2006 (Success !)

Arrived in the US - May 27, 2006 (our IR-1 visa journey was 2 years and 2 months long)

Wedding - June 17th, 2006

It's a Girl ! Baby Hana's expected due date - March 30th, 2007

591088.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Sometimes living in the US doesn't work for some people *shrugs* I know it's been a struggle for my DH to find his place in this society, but alhamdulilah, it's getting better. He's actually gotten very cute. On his arabic language forums, he has an american flag and an egyptian flag in his signature and something that says muslim egyptian american :luv: But, it's taken almost 7 months for his to get to a point where he feels comfortable. He went through the down in the dumps depression thing too, and still does depending on the day.

Maybe when Youssef gets a job and gets out of the house each day he'll feel more integrated into society. Or, after you graduate you guys could move to a largere city that might provide more diversity that he'll feel more comfortable in. We have some Somali friends who first came to the US as refugees and settled in San Diego, but didn't feel comfortable until they moved to the Twin Cities.

I know there are resources available for women making hijrah to Egypt, but I haven't come across anything for Morocco, sorry.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Since the subject of NOT moving back is open, I'll add my 2 cents.

Most people that move to the USA from the Middle East have and idea in their mind that does not get fulfilled when they get here. They expect things will happen instantly, but it all takes lots of time. When I decided to get engaged to my hunny, my sat down with me to have a "talk".

He told me that if I wanted to be engaged to my hunny, its going to require alot of patience on my part. He told me that my fiance would most like hate it here for the first year or maybe even two years. He said that my fiance would talk about going back home all the time. But he told me once he finds his place here, he won't think about that as much anymore and going back will not be the same.

Once they haved lived here for a period of time, going back home is not quite the same anymore. They will go through the same struggle there. Visits will be fine, but to live there is not the same at all once you have lived in the USA.

I think that when Youssef gets more comfortable here and when you have this talk again in 2 years when he gets his green card, his opinions may change. I have family members with green cards and they are required to visit every six months to maintain it. Whatever you decide to do , good luck! :star:

~jordanian_princess~

October 19, 2006 - Interview! No Visa yet....on A/Psigns038.gif

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Yeah... I think it's a common view around the world that once you get to america, money grows and falls off trees and flies freely in the streets. One time I knew an Algerian, he was driving on a dirt road while talking to a family member on the phone, they were absoloutely shocked to find that there are dirt roads in some places in america... most people get here and are shocked.

Filed: Timeline

While I think it is certainly an option to consider, you do have some time to wait to make the decision. I would recommend doing what Abdel and I have done about having a baby. He knows I can't have any more naturally, but I do finally feel like I am married to a man I would actually want to raise a child with. I have 3 more years before I graduate, and he isn't working yet.

We know that for us to have a child will require in-vitro which was about 10 grand last time I checked, per pop, nobody can be sure how many tries it takes. We were just talking about it this morning and decided to just not worry about it for 3 more years. He has not put any pressure on me to have a baby since he knew when we married that I couldn't have kids and he was prepared to not have any (he's 38 and raised a niece and nephew so it's not too big a deal)

I think if you both keep it open in your minds as an option, it might just help him adapt better here. If he can always think, "we'll move home in a few years" he will be braver about going out and dealing with life now. Eventually, when the times comes, he may or may not still want to go.

Abdel and I plan to retire to Morocco and have already planned on talking to his family next time we are there and possible getting title to the land we want so we can slowly start building our house there. His immediate family lives in the city, and the land we want is in the countryside, so they could always use our house there to get away for the weekend until we move there.

Good luck in whatever you decide. Obviously you know how to do research so I'm sure you will make a well-informed decision.

Amera,

A few things I would suggest considering:

While 9000 dh a month is a good salary by Moroccan salaries, it doesn't provide for a lifestyle you may want. It would be very difficult to afford trips home to see your own family, especially if you are buying tickets for both you and your son. It also doesn't allow for you to amass any real savings for your son's college or your future if you ever choose to return to the States.

Will your husband be able to secure employment there? Seems like there is a good chance he would be in the same boat back home, and there the stigma of him not working would be much worse back in Morocco - especially with a wife and son.

Once your son is of school age, unless you send him to Moroccan public schools (if you can get citizenship for him), the schools are very expensive. I could work from Morocco and bring in the same or close to the same income, but the tuition for my daughter was around $12,000 or more a year.

Rebecca

Timeline

Hi there.

Well moving back has for us as well been a consistant topic of conversation. Its part of our daydreams and brings us some extra drive hoping for that someday. I agree, waiting for citizenship may make other decisions after that easier. As far as working, I think Rebecca said some strong points to think about. 9,000dh is extremely high in terms of moroccan standards, but in fact it may not translate to the same lifestyle that you have now. I worked in Morocco for over two years and I made the same salary. A large portion is taken for taxes and my rent was super high because the school I taught at was in the nicest part of Casablanca. Often times schools will provide you with houseing but in fact the school I taught at wouldnt offer houseing if you were married to a moroccan national. (i know ridiculous). I was alone and Otman came for 2 weeks each month to visit while he was studying in Marrakesh. The end of each month I was seriously strapped for cash. Now that doesnt mean that I wont ever go back and work there...I actually would love to go back and be there but not in the big city...its too everything for me.

It seems that you have a big supportive family there and thats the most important really....you would have a nice support system. Its a big choice to make and its good to look into every option. Being back in the states and working now I sometimes wish I stayed...because here it is a similar struggle...im not making tons of money obviously and each month my life is bills and such (which is life), but i miss walking to work, and fresh food and all the other great daily things.

Tell me more about the loan for starting a buisness in a developing country. . . that sounds interesting.

good luck, sarah

Sarah and Otman

Naturalization interview: August 25th

Oath Ceremony: September 17th!!! woo hoo.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.