Moving back to Morocco?

49 posts in this topic

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

We would move to Marrakech. But possibly Casablanca depending on what job I could get.

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

This is the school that I have been stalking (oops, I mean pursuing) myself. :D I have been in contact with the faculty representative by phone and email but no such luck so far. I have also been pursuing the Rabat American School and George Washington Academy. Do you have some sort of "inside connection" that you can refer me to? As I said before, I have 10 years experience and am certified in English and Reading. I have taught French too, although I am not certified in it, during mini-courses for graduating seniors.

To answer your question, Liz, when I first arrive we will be living at the second home of Aziz' brother in Kenitra, but I hope to purchase an apartment in Casa as soon as possible after we marry. This way, whether I work or not, we really only have to worry about household expenses but not rent/mortgage.

We would move to Marrakech. But possibly Casablanca depending on what job I could get.

I know the Casablaca American School pays decently. ;)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Joan,

Have you looked into AmidEast? They have a program in Casa as well as Rabat. In my opinion I would try hard for Rabat...I lived in Casa for 2 years and it is a tiring place...Rabat has trees. Trees are good.

hmm. Casa Casa...ive been thinking of different places. You know, once you get to Casa or Rabat you could just go straight up to the American Language Center and see if they have any openings. If you are allready there its easier. They may not have openings currently because its close to summer and generally language schools hire foreigners in March for August start dates, but once the school time starts or even during the summer, they may have opportunities due to unanticipated enrollment....and if your there living, its easier for them than to hire someone far away and pay for them to come.

keep us posted.

-Sarah

Sarah and Otman

Naturalization interview: August 25th

Oath Ceremony: September 17th!!! woo hoo.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I just want to advise you about the residency requirement in the US for greencard holders. If you leave the US, it is now anything beyond six months that immigration can ask you to provide proof that you did not abandon your residency. It used to be a year but it recently changed. Though they don't always ask you for proof, (I left for just over six months and they didnt), they can. The fact that they can should be cause for concern. If a greencard holder is found to have abandoned residency, they CAN lose their greencard status. Not saying they will, but they can. At the least, they would make a person start the continous residency requirement all over again in order to become a US citizen. To prove that you didn't abandon residency, you need to provide proof such as bank statements, property, a car, car insurance, personal property etc. Or, you can go for the reentry permit route. However, this still breaks the continous residency requirement, meaning you have to start it all over again to become a citizen.

Also, I have read in the Moudawana that a child is considered to be a Moroccan citizen by paternity (interestingly not by maternity???!!!), even if they are US citizens. The Moudawana (Moroccan family code) is translated into english here: http://www.hrea.org/moudawana.html#book1

This means that the child must have the fathers consent to leave Morocco.

Hope this posts in the right place cus its the first time I've done one of these forum thingys. :huh:

I just want to advise you about the residency requirement in the US for greencard holders. If you leave the US, it is now anything beyond six months that immigration can ask you to provide proof that you did not abandon your residency. It used to be a year but it recently changed. Though they don't always ask you for proof, (I left for just over six months and they didnt), they can. The fact that they can should be cause for concern. If a greencard holder is found to have abandoned residency, they CAN lose their greencard status. Not saying they will, but they can. At the least, they would make a person start the continous residency requirement all over again in order to become a US citizen. To prove that you didn't abandon residency, you need to provide proof such as bank statements, property, a car, car insurance, personal property etc. Or, you can go for the reentry permit route. However, this still breaks the continous residency requirement, meaning you have to start it all over again to become a citizen.

Also, I have read in the Moudawana that a child is considered to be a Moroccan citizen by paternity (interestingly not by maternity???!!!), even if they are US citizens. The Moudawana (Moroccan family code) is translated into english here: http://www.hrea.org/moudawana.html#book1

This means that the child must have the fathers consent to leave Morocco.

Hope this posts in the right place cus its the first time I've done one of these forum thingys. :huh:

The law was updated last year and Moroccan women now also pass their nationality down to their children.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

good point...

but sometimes I get baffled..

I know someone who is half lebanese and half yemeni... Father is yemeni mother is lebanese... I call him Lemeni... haha...

But for some reason he will only consider himself Yemeni.. I wonder what happens when the nationality crosses borders?

good point...

but sometimes I get baffled..

I know someone who is half lebanese and half yemeni... Father is yemeni mother is lebanese... I call him Lemeni... haha...

But for some reason he will only consider himself Yemeni.. I wonder what happens when the nationality crosses borders?

I think what nationality a person associates with is a separate issue.

It used to be that in Moroccan/non-Moroccan marriages, children of that union only received Moroccan nationality IF the father was the Moroccan. The law was updated last year to allow Moroccan women married to non-Moroccans to also pass down their Moroccan nationality. It doesn't matter where they live - a child born of a Moroccan automatically has Moroccan citizenship.

Rebecca

Filed: Other Timeline

YES! YES! YES! Please share info about the development program. I acutally will be moving to Morocco this summer (late June or early July) I have quit my job and am in the process of selling my home as we speak. I am a certified English and reading teacher for high school aged children and have been in constant contact with the American International schools in both Casa and Rabat, but have not been able to secure a position. I have also contacted several NGO's and USAID programs that have offices/programs there, but thus far am still coming up short. I do know that the pay for any imployment that I am able to obtain will be minimal by comparison, but unfortunately, however, I have no choice. I WILL be moving job or not. As for my son, he will not attend school at all immediately upon our relocation but if I am unable to find work, I will home school him until he can adequately learn the language enough to attend the public school. Of course, there is NO way that we will be able to afford the private schools unless I am employed there.

If anyone has any inside information that could be of assistance, PLEASE pass it on. I am at the point of desperation now. If nothing else, I will attempt to sell Moroccan itesms on ebay for a while. :P

Is this guy more important than your son's education? Is he working, at least? How will you survive if he isn't working? Do you think about the effect the move will have on your son? (No school or friends)

Actually, there's alot more to everyone's story and unless you've been actively in the group, you wouldn't know. Kader is a great mom and believe me has thought things through completely. Don't be so judgemental (sounding). This is a support group after all!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.