LaL

Am I being Petty?

21 posts in this topic

For the 3rd time, I walk outside and see that my water meter has been run over. I share the meter with the neighbor who feels it necessary to park on his lawn - ok we are deed restricted, but to each his own. But it seems he does not realize when he parks on his lawn he must DRIVE AROUND our meter. now its spewing and bubbling water 1/2 way down the street.

I am pretty angry right now - the neighbors are not home. SHould I call my plumber and hope that the neighbors see the fuss outside long enough to own up to it and/or talk to them, or should I wait and see if they take care of their mess on their own? This is also my money going down the "drain".

I know some may think i am being quick to blame... and maybe so... but this is the 3rd time this has happened... and will be the 3rd time i am paying for it... none of which has been as a result of my negligence.

any thoughts?

go obver thjere and say 'ya water wasting ####### learn how to frive ya muppet!';

seriously, i'd call the plumber and give them the bill. :)

Yep I agree (L)

Paul and I met on the Bazaar on the 14th January (he joined my progressive rock forum that day)

July 3rd he flew to England to meet me

We fell in love while he drove all over the place coz I cannot read maps (we were supposed to go to Ingleton - but touched Darlington 4 times, Pierce Bridge 6 times, Scotch Corner twice and Bernard Castle twice and we never did make it to Ingleton)

It has been so long and so much has happened in between...

Arrived in Houston on October 29th 2006

Married 17th November 2006

Lost my father 8th January 2007 (all dates are a blur after this)

Conditional Green Card dated 24th October 2007

I-751 posted on 6th August 2009

Received on 7th August 2009 in VT

Melo's Prog Bazaar

CTTE

yeah i dont know - THATS the part i think i am being petty about. I just know i'llget stuck with the bill. and i KNOW i'll be angry about getting stuck with the bill (again). why not just accept that its not fair and just possibly eat the money?

its the principle i guess. :wacko:

i kninda thought i would give them a chance to correct it, maybe if morning rolls in and its still bubbling, THEN call cuz by then its just too much water to be "ignored"

Filed: Country: Netherlands
Timeline
go obver thjere and say 'ya water wasting ####### learn how to frive ya muppet!';

seriously, i'd call the plumber and give them the bill. :)

Yes! ( I mean YES what Lisa said-not YES you are being petty, btw)!:thumbs:

Edited by tmma

Liefde is een bloem zo teer dat hij knakt bij de minste aanraking en zo sterk dat niets zijn groei in de weg staat

event.png

IK HOU VAN JOU, MARK

.png

Take a large, almost round, rotating sphere about 8000 miles in diameter, surround it with a murky, viscous atmosphere of gases mixed with water vapor, tilt its axis so it wobbles back and forth with respect to a source of heat and light, freeze it at both ends and roast it in the middle, cover most of its surface with liquid that constantly feeds vapor into the atmosphere as the sphere tosses billions of gallons up and down to the rhythmic pulling of a captive satellite and the sun. Then try to predict the conditions of that atmosphere over a small area within a 5 mile radius for a period of one to five days in advance!

---

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It's unfair that you would have to pay it. You didn't do anything wrong!!!

Barbara (Canada) & Dallas (USC)

AOS

Nov 13 2005 EAD & I-485 sent to Chicago Lockbox

Nov 22, 2005 EAD & I-485 NOA1

Dec 15, 2005 Biometrics for EAD & I-485

Dec 19, 2005 EAD & I-485 Touched

Jan 21, 2006 Rec'd I-485 Fingerprint Reschedule Notice (AHHH!!!)

Feb 10, 2006 Fingerprint App't

Feb 1, 2006 EAD Approved!!!!

Feb 11, 2006 Rec'd EAD card

Feb 13, 2006 Applied for SSN

Feb 17, 2006 Rec'd SSN

Feb 23, 2006 I-485 Transferred to CSC (AHHH!!)

Mar 02, 2006 I-485 Has been received at CSC

Mar 13, 2006 I-485 Touched

Mar 14, 2006 I-485 Touched

Apr 15 & 25 2006 emailed CSC for status inquiry on I-485

Apr 26 2006 received a response from CSC, another response in 60 days (ahhhhh!!!)

Apr 27, 2006 I-485 Touched

Jun 17, 2006 I-485 Touched

Jun 19, 2006 I-485 Touched

Jun 20, 2006 I-485 Touched

July 3, 2006 emailed CSC again, no response given in the allotted 60 days time frame.

July 27, 2006 received a response from CSC, another response will be given in 30 days.. ha ha ha.

***app sent back to Missouri ***app sent to Chicago

Aug 21 2006 touched

Sept 29 2006 3rd year Anniversay

October 13, 2006 Immigration Interview - Need to return with Long Form Birth Certificate

October 13, 2006 Long Form Birth Cert ordered with expediated shipping

October 18, 2006 Birth Cert Received

October 19, 2006 2nd Immigration Interview - APPROVED

5-20 business days for the Green Card to arrive, maybe I'll be back to see my family before Christmas?

well i guess i will see. another neighbor just came by and had turned off the water. i laughed and had to explain to him i wasnt ignoring the problem per se, but i was just waiting for these neighbors to get home so they can deal with it. he did tell me its my meter thats broken (of course!!). he stated he would fix it for me (saving $)

hopefully the problem neighbors will come home to see whats going on as he is out there fixing it.

thanks for the suggestions... i guess i was more venting than anything... i know what i needed to do.

:lol:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

who's property is the meter on? if on yours, put a nice large rock by the meter

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

who's property is the meter on? if on yours, put a nice large rock by the meter

its actually more on their side.... that's a pretty good idea :D

right now the neighbor fixed it for me :luv: and put little flags all around it... hopefully that will draw a *little* attention to the no drive zone

:lol:

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline

This may sound ####### retentive...but have you been documenting these transgressions (i.e. photographing the car parked in the yard and the tire tracks, taking depositions from other neighbors, getting written statements from your plumber outlining the apparent reason for the past damage, etc., etc.)? If this is the third time...have you confronted your neighbor about this destructive behavior? Maybe you should have.

Give your neighbors the benefit of the doubt and ask them for compensation. If they get testy...sue them in small claims court. If the repairs are in excess of small claims court limits, get a lawyer to write them a letter with the bill attached.

If you live in a deed restricted neighborhood that prohibits parking in the yard, get with your neighborhood civic club to initiate legal proceedings against your offending neighbors.

Don't get pissed off...get even!

No...you are not being petty. Your neighbor is obnoxious. It is nice to be on good terms with your neighbors, but this doesn't include letting them ruin your life.

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan (D-TX)

Testimony to the House Immigration Subcommittee, February 24, 1995

This may sound ####### retentive...but have you been documenting these transgressions (i.e. photographing the car parked in the yard and the tire tracks, taking depositions from other neighbors, getting written statements from your plumber outlining the apparent reason for the past damage, etc., etc.)? If this is the third time...have you confronted your neighbor about this destructive behavior? Maybe you should have.

Give your neighbors the benefit of the doubt and ask them for compensation. If they get testy...sue them in small claims court. If the repairs are in excess of small claims court limits, get a lawyer to write them a letter with the bill attached.

Unfortunately my answer is no, i haven't documented this. And at this point I know I should.

No...you are not being petty. Your neighbor is obnoxious. It is nice to be on good terms with your neighbors, but this doesn't include letting them ruin your life.

Part of why I was wondering if i was being petty is because it has not ruined my life (although i know this was used more for effect). this time a very sweet neighbor fixed it and i gave him a $20 - hardly worth arguing with my neighbor over. The other times, yes I did call a plumber. i will be more careful.

i think i will go with the little cinderblock idea (there are very few ROCKS here in FL :lol: )

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

lal_brandow... you don't say this in your post... but, is this at an apartment rental complex... or at a rental home?

i agree with the suggestion that you document and take pictures... also, if you have the receipts for the repairs before... that would be good proof also.

if you are in a rental... i would also call the landlord... see if you can get them to back you up...

have you tried to talk to the neighbor after the first couple of times of the meter being busted... and just asking him to NOT park on the lawn where the meter is?

if he is a jerk... and does not comply with the rules and regulations of not parking on the lawn... and does not even attempt to compensate you for HIS negligence... i think it is a good time to take legal action...

wishing you the best!

Lynne

Tho' lovers be lost, love shall not... and death shall have NO dominion!

http://www.geocities.com/pulpi33/A1.htm

114959908992789.gif

The will of God will never take you,

to where the grace of God will not protect you.

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

I fully agree with Peejay..being a good neighbor only goes SO FAR. I would be a lot more annoyed than you(sound) if I were in your position..plus, we don't have the money(not saying you do!!) to keep having it fixed ourselves, so if they didn't pay it when I presented it to them, I would probably be pursuing it even further..you have been a VERY(read..too nice..no offense!) neighbor; time for them to do their part!! M.

ManU2.jpg

10 year green card received

mid March, 2008. Done 'til Naturalization! WOOT! :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Unfortunately my answer is no, i haven't documented this. And at this point I know I should.

Part of why I was wondering if i was being petty is because it has not ruined my life (although i know this was used more for effect). this time a very sweet neighbor fixed it and i gave him a $20 - hardly worth arguing with my neighbor over. The other times, yes I did call a plumber. i will be more careful.

i think i will go with the little cinderblock idea (there are very few ROCKS here in FL :lol: )

or if you know anyone taking a road trip, have them bring back something about 2' x 3' :lol:

also try the landscaping section of home depot or lowe's

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!