Am I the only one,

286 posts in this topic

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline

I've found that because people are so negative that when problems come up you're more likely to try to deal with it on your own as opposed to talking to your family or friends because you just don't want to hear it.

MY HOT ARAB HUBBY!!

dreamy_Riyad-2.jpg2615261345_a42ed1904a.jpg

No one tell the hubby! Oh wait I already told HIM! :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
...The whole attitude is 'if I'm okay that's all that matters to me'! It's always been the 'American way' that you work hard and you reap the rewards. Nowadays I see and hear so many people pounding their chests about how hard they've worked for their comfort and how nobody damned well try to take it away from them. I wonder whatever happened to 'but there by the Grace of God go I'?

It's as if the poor are symbolic to these people of their own success - like a public scourge that's a testament to sloth and laziness rather than a widening gap between the haves, the have nots, and the nasty little thing called 'life' that sometimes spells the difference between the two. Sad really.

I am SO with you on the above :thumbs:

the other thing that irks me no end about such attitudes - and of course they're not confined to the US, though I HAVE heard them more from your countrymen than others - is what 'hard work' even means to them... many of the people who say things like this DO work damned hard, but from what starting point? a birth in which neither mother nor child died, a reasonably safe and healthy upbringing, an education beyond primary level, clean and fresh water - these are things we EXPECT, and which are just the starting point for many to build on... and all power to them, if they do, and move upwards from that point, but they're working hard from an extremely advantaged starting point, which is denied many

and I don't even really want people to do much more than recognise that (though doing more than that would be just wonderful :D ) but so many won't even do that... makes me mad, and sad, at the same time :angry::(

061017001as.thumb.jpg

The Very Secret Diary of Legolas Son of Weenus - by Cassandra Claire

Day One: Went to Council of Elrond. Was prettiest person there. Agreed to follow some tiny little man to Mordor to throw ring into volcano. Very important mission - gold ring so tacky.

Day Six: Far too dark in Mines of Moria to brush hair properly. Am very afraid I am developing a tangle.

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Day 35: Boromir dead. Very messy death, most unnecessary. Did get kissed by Aragorn as he expired. Does a guy have to get shot full of arrows around here to get any action? Boromir definitely not prettier than me. Cannot understand it. Am feeling a pout coming on.

Frodo off to Mordor with Sam. Tiny little men caring about each other, rather cute really.

Am quite sure Gimli fancies me. So unfair. He is waist height, so can see advantages there, but chunky braids and big helmet most off-putting. Foresee dark times ahead, very dark times.

Usually 'average' is defined on a number of factors common to both countries. Things like educational attainment of citizenry, access to health care, quality of health care, infant and child mortality, GDP per capita, income distribution, life expectancy, pollution, crime rate, infrastructure, all manner of things. One has to watch what's being measured, of course, when assigning 'better' and 'worse' to it, but that's a lot different from 'I'm sure there is one person in Amsterdam who is homeless and there is a rich person in the U.S. so any comparison of average lifestyle is meaningless.'

(And indeed, on this vast and wonderful internet, there are cost-of-living calculators that would tell you how much you would need to make in New York to live in your accustomed style in Austin. Comparisons aren't meaningless.)

I never said "comparisons are meaningless." All I'm stating is that it's wrong to assign a static number to a concept as fluid as "average," that's all. If you wish to do so, that's fine by me. I can't force you to change, but in the meantime, don't expect me to believe anything you or anyone else says simply because "this number here says so!" I'd need to know the background behind that number before I could come to any sort of conclusion.

There is, of course, a difference between asking 'By what metric is the average person in the Netherlands better off than the average person in the U.S?" and "there are homeless people there and they're not better off than our rich people, so one cannot say anything about the average person."

---

rebeccajo, it's like a myth. If someone ends up in a bad place, it's necessarily because of their own choices; luck, or timing, or disproportionate consequences never come into it. It's like a security blanket.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
rebeccajo, it's like a myth. If someone ends up in a bad place, it's necessarily because of their own choices; luck, or timing, or disproportionate consequences never come into it. It's like a security blanket.

No, Caladan, your own choices is what gets you *out* of a bad place.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

sometimes... but sometimes all the choices you've got are bad, eg if you're living on less than $1 per day, like more than a BILLION people in the world today, your choices are going to be somewhat limited...

061017001as.thumb.jpg

The Very Secret Diary of Legolas Son of Weenus - by Cassandra Claire

Day One: Went to Council of Elrond. Was prettiest person there. Agreed to follow some tiny little man to Mordor to throw ring into volcano. Very important mission - gold ring so tacky.

Day Six: Far too dark in Mines of Moria to brush hair properly. Am very afraid I am developing a tangle.

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Day 35: Boromir dead. Very messy death, most unnecessary. Did get kissed by Aragorn as he expired. Does a guy have to get shot full of arrows around here to get any action? Boromir definitely not prettier than me. Cannot understand it. Am feeling a pout coming on.

Frodo off to Mordor with Sam. Tiny little men caring about each other, rather cute really.

Am quite sure Gimli fancies me. So unfair. He is waist height, so can see advantages there, but chunky braids and big helmet most off-putting. Foresee dark times ahead, very dark times.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
sometimes... but sometimes all the choices you've got are bad, eg if you're living on less than $1 per day, like more than a BILLION people in the world today, your choices are going to be somewhat limited...

I thought we were talking about the poor in America.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: Other Timeline
i wish i was the person who thought an annual income of $250,000 was average. :blush:

I'm pretty sure it is around here (or at least $150,000).

Maybe in your circles, but(according to Wikipedia) "In 2006 the average weekly wage in Manhattan was $1,453". That works out to a little less than $36K per year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City...rk#Demographics

That is about $6K less than what I make working as a librarian. This figure doesn't even include the puter boros, which would make the figure skew even lower. Also, you have more trust fund and investment parasites in Manhattan, who don't recieve wages. A more interesting figure would be average net worth in Manhattan/NYC.

Lots more of us struggling folks than overpaid Wall St. azzholes, even in the rich, increasingly white enclave of Manhattan.

Edited by Pattu Rani

thkirby-1.gifpetblink46.gif
BuddhaEyesGlobe.gif1433707c1j51myzp6.gif

I've found that because people are so negative that when problems come up you're more likely to try to deal with it on your own as opposed to talking to your family or friends because you just don't want to hear it.

True - if things aren't 100% wonderful they always revert to the default response 'Divorce him - he's only using you for a greencard!!!' I wonder what they would say if he was a USC??

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline

True - if things aren't 100% wonderful they always revert to the default response 'Divorce him - he's only using you for a greencard!!!' I wonder what they would say if he was a USC??

They would say to work it out, you made a committment. ;)

MY HOT ARAB HUBBY!!

dreamy_Riyad-2.jpg2615261345_a42ed1904a.jpg

No one tell the hubby! Oh wait I already told HIM! :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
i wish i was the person who thought an annual income of $250,000 was average. :blush:

Maybe in your circles, but(according to Wikipedia) "In 2006 the average weekly wage in Manhattan was $1,453". That works out to a little less than $36K per year.

That is about $6K less than what I make working as a librarian. This figure doesn't even include the puter boros, which would make the figure skew even lower. Also, you have more trust fund and investment parasites in Manhattan, who don't recieve wages. A more interesting figure would be average net worth in Manhattan/NYC.

Lots more of us struggling folks than overpaid Wall St. azzholes, even in the rich, increasingly white enclave of Manhattan.

how does $1,453/week = less than $36k/yr? :unsure:

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
Yes us also to! Mohamed wanted me to move there and live.

Melinda-- I know you said before you have an apartment there so I was curious why you didn't move. I know housing is a major cost of relocating to another country. That was what held us up from me moving there. We didn't have the 40k or so to buy either a house in the village or an apartment, so we're working on that now.

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

how does $1,453/week = less than $36k/yr? :unsure:

D'oh - I hadn't been sufficiently caffeinated at the time I wrote that - I think I read it as $1,453 a paycheck... :bonk: My mistake.

D@mn I really am poor.... I don't live in Manhattan though....

Edited by Pattu Rani

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
D'oh - I hadn't been sufficiently caffeinated at the time I wrote that - I think I read it as $1,453 a paycheck... :bonk: My mistake.

D@mn I really am poor.... I don't live in Manhattan though....

LOL the two of us combined don't even make that much!

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.