Chocolot

Being Misunderstood in the USA

39 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

I noticed in the thread "You know you are in the USA not the UK when" someone mentioned "jumper" and I know there are many more,

Words like serviette useful in Australia, but unheard of here?

What words do you find are pronounced differently or have different meanings in the USA?

2004 K-1 Visa Service Center : Texas Service Center Consulate : Sydney, Australia Sep 22: I-129F Sent Approved in 89 days. Apr 4: Interview took 194 days from filing. Apr 13: LAX POE Date Marriage 5 July 2005

2005 Adjustment of Status CIS Office Aug 5: Miami FL Date Filed Aug 12: NOA Date : 2005-08-12 Aug 17: chq cashed Bio. Appt. 2006 May 2: Interview Date June 6: Interview Cancelled T'fer to CSC May 26 2006 - June 10: Approval Date : 2006-6-10 July 21: Greencard Received

2006 July 21 06 GREENCARD

2008 I751 Application sent Mar 10: Texas Service Center Mar 14: Check cashed

April 17: Infopass at Miami for 1 year extension stamp in passport due to no NOA

April 22: Biometrics - took 15 minutes April 22/23: Touched both days but no changes

2009 Feb 04 10 Year GREENCARD

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

lol serviette is french !

Removal of conditions

01.11.2011 Remove conditions GC I-751 ($590)

01.18.2011 NOA1

02.24.2011 Biometric

03.25.2011 Approved

03.28.2011 Notice sent

03.31.2011 Received new green card (and it's green !)

AOS/EAD/AP from K1

07.23.2008 Send AOS/EAD/AP

07.29.2008 Check cashed

08.01.2008 NOA1

08.08.2008 Biometric Notice received

08.21.2008 Biometric Appointment

09.22.2008 Approval notice sent for AP (CRIS email)

09.22.2008 Card production ordered for EAD (CRIS email)

09.25.2008 Card production ordered for EAD (CRIS email) and a couple of touch since (last one 09.30.2008)

09.27.2008 Reception AP

10.02.2008 EAD Received

02.23.2009 Notice for interview (1.5 month late compared to LA statistics)

03.16.2009 AOS Touch

04.01.2009 Interview in LA  // Approved 

04.06.2009 Welcome to the USA Letter

04.13.2009 Reception GC

Naturalization
06/2016 Request
03/2017 Interview

Almost at the end !

I noticed in the thread "You know you are in the USA not the UK when" someone mentioned "jumper" and I know there are many more,

Words like serviette useful in Australia, but unheard of here?

What words do you find are pronounced differently or have different meanings in the USA?

Fanny Pad. My US fiance told me its some sort of money belt. I told her what it means in the UK haha.

beach_1_001.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Oh yeh, well we call them fanny packs here. UKers it's bum bags. So weird because on either case it is worn on the british meaning "fanny" side of the body but in both cases it's called essentially butt bag. Fanny here means bum :P

Brits in general, in my experience, are much more err...either generous or exaggerating with their praise. Packs of cookies and stuff have BRILLIANT and SPLENDID and MARVELLOUS and stuff like that written all over them. Absolutely everything is brilliant and lovely and wonderful etc. Whereas here, at least in the south, it's a very big compliment actually if someone says (especially a man says) "That's alright" or "that's not bad."

Was watching the news the other day when this british journalist got rescued in the middle east somewhere by troops. The news was raving happy because the Brit had called the troops' rescue "brilliant" or something, they were really playing it up. Whereas really the guy's saying 'brilliant' was just kind of standard for ya'l and if someone had given him a digestive he'd be like oh fantastic! :P

Summer 2001 - met my Scottish boy

December 18th, 2007 - proposal in Madrid's Botanical Gardens with a duck standing behind him going 'food?'

January 18th, 2008 - I-129F sent to VSC

January 31st, 2008 - received NOA1, issued Jan. 24 :)

February 24th, 2008 - NOA2; omgwtfbbqlolz

February 29th, 2008 - NVC letter sent

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Didn't know what my husband was talking about at first when he said he had to go to the 'tag' office - 'tags' are what we call 'license plates' back home.

As well - don't ask where the bathroom is here - people look at you strange; you need to ask for the restroom:-).

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Here they use the word bathroom too. Though I find both restroom and bathroom words pretty strange cuz there is no shower or a couch to sleep on in the public restrooms :P I think it´s nicer when it´s just ladies or mens room or toilets :P

Timeline

I know what a digestive is but they are hard to find here, and dont get me start

ed on 'chicken and a biscuit'

Oh yeh, well we call them fanny packs here. UKers it's bum bags. So weird because on either case it is worn on the british meaning "fanny" side of the body but in both cases it's called essentially butt bag. Fanny here means bum :P

Brits in general, in my experience, are much more err...either generous or exaggerating with their praise. Packs of cookies and stuff have BRILLIANT and SPLENDID and MARVELLOUS and stuff like that written all over them. Absolutely everything is brilliant and lovely and wonderful etc. Whereas here, at least in the south, it's a very big compliment actually if someone says (especially a man says) "That's alright" or "that's not bad."

Was watching the news the other day when this british journalist got rescued in the middle east somewhere by troops. The news was raving happy because the Brit had called the troops' rescue "brilliant" or something, they were really playing it up. Whereas really the guy's saying 'brilliant' was just kind of standard for ya'l and if someone had given him a digestive he'd be like oh fantastic! :P

2004 K-1 Visa Service Center : Texas Service Center Consulate : Sydney, Australia Sep 22: I-129F Sent Approved in 89 days. Apr 4: Interview took 194 days from filing. Apr 13: LAX POE Date Marriage 5 July 2005

2005 Adjustment of Status CIS Office Aug 5: Miami FL Date Filed Aug 12: NOA Date : 2005-08-12 Aug 17: chq cashed Bio. Appt. 2006 May 2: Interview Date June 6: Interview Cancelled T'fer to CSC May 26 2006 - June 10: Approval Date : 2006-6-10 July 21: Greencard Received

April 17: Infopass at Miami for 1 year extension stamp in passport due to no NOA

April 22: Biometrics - took 15 minutes April 22/23: Touched both days but no changes

Timeline

If I asked for a napkin there I would get some very strange looks

lol serviette is french !

Filed: Timeline
Didn't know what my husband was talking about at first when he said he had to go to the 'tag' office - 'tags' are what we call 'license plates' back home.

As well - don't ask where the bathroom is here - people look at you strange; you need to ask for the restroom:-).

Yeah. lol. When I was at the DMV office I tried to register my vehicle. They told me I needed to go to the tag office. I had to ask them what a tag office was. They told me it was in the tax collector's office. I left there going..... :blink:

Apparently down here they call the laundry room the washroom. I got some pretty strange looks, at first, whenever I asked for one at a restaurant. :lol: Probably the same look I give my husband when I ask him where something is and he tells me it's in the washroom. :blink:

iagree.gif

The UK forum is full of examples! Here are several:

Not being understood when saying 'water' or 'herb'.

People assuming that if we pronounce 'tomato' with an 'ah' sound that that is also how we pronounce 'potato'.

Using 'rubber' for eraser.

Certain phrases I use mean nothing to Alex; for example: 'It's all gone pear-shaped' or 'my boss gave me a lift'.

Most people already know of the obvious word differences (i.e. sidewalk/pavement, tap/faucet or lift/escalator) but there are quite a few others that aren't so obvious at first - pram, buggy, nappies when relating to children, or courgette and aubergine, for example, or asking for silicon sealant at a hardware store (that's from the UK forum).

Remembering to say 'bathroom' or 'restroom' instead of 'toilet/loo' is going to be difficult.

Edited by Alex & Rachel

sharasugar.pngsharanomsugar.png

07/11/2006 - First met

08/22/2008 - K1 Visa in hand

12/27/2008 - Marriage

05/20/2009 - AOS complete

10/06/2011 - ROC complete

04/20/2012 - Annaleah born!

Biscuits for breakfast would be bad where I come from.

What about hood vs bonnet and glove box vs cubby hole of a car? Granted, although the Brits left colonial English where I grew up, we may have created our own English :innocent: My spouse gets a kick out of what I call the "trunk" of a car!

Removal of Conditions - Nebraska Service Center

2/23/07 I-751 Notice date

3/23/07 NOA received (typo in name)

3/29/07 Biometric appointment received. Requested rescheduling

4/05/07 Second biometrics appointment received

4/18/07 Biometrics

4/19/07 Case status updated

2/23/08 Petition Congressman - no additional info.

3/03/08 Infopass in Chicago (12-mo extension)

3/19/08 Petition Senator's office

4/01/08 Case transferred - to an unspecified "USCIS office" (e-mail)

4/12/08 Letter - transferred to CSC on 3/27/2008. (typo in name)

4/22/08 Current Status: Card production ordered

4/25/08 Current Status: Approval notice sent; letter from Senator's office - expect 30-60 day wait for USCIS response!

4/26/08 Card arrives (with typo in name)

4/28/08 Card sent back via registered post (mistake to use Reg Post!)

5/05/08 Package delivered at Laguna Niguel, CA

10/02/08 Corrected 10-yr card issued

I-485

03/10/05 AOS interview in Chicago. Conditional PR (2-yr).

03/17/05 CPR card arrives in the mail

AOS thru Chicago DO (from non-immigrant visa category)

7/08/04 Mailed I-130, I-485 & I-765

7/20/04 Fingerprints/biometrics completed.

8/17/04 EAD approved

runcatqe4.jpg

Disclaimer: We are NOT lawyers by profession and all our posts should be viewed with that in mind.

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

Yeah. lol. When I was at the DMV office I tried to register my vehicle. They told me I needed to go to the tag office. I had to ask them what a tag office was. They told me it was in the tax collector's office. I left there going..... :blink:

Apparently down here they call the laundry room the washroom. I got some pretty strange looks, at first, whenever I asked for one at a restaurant. :lol: Probably the same look I give my husband when I ask him where something is and he tells me it's in the washroom. :blink:

Some things are very regional. It's the laundry room down here. :)

In South Carolina, you can shag barefoot on the beach with a beer in one hand and not get arrested.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.