pnrmbr975

To the immigrants

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello,

Last year, I posted about my wife passing her job interviews. It is her first job, and she's still working in the same company for almost 8 months now. She has had issues with her boss and 2 other co-workers in her deparment only but she deals great with the rest. There is nothing wrong with her but the unprofessionalism her co-workers show her (she's even smarter than her boss). It became our everyday topic whenever we get home from work. My wife would rant about her mean co-workers and I would vent my own "issues" at work. :D I have no problems with that.

Anyway, I told her that if she isn't happy with the job anymore, she may resign anytime. I want her to be happy. She's trying to work things out but she said she feels she has to let go of the job soon.

My question is, how long did you stay at your first job in the US? And what made you quit/leave?

We wish to hear your experiences.

Thank you.

Filed: Country: Indonesia
Timeline

My longest job was for 4 years, shortest one was 1.5 years before I moved. Immigrant or not, I am trying to find something better (pay, opportunity, working condition/co worker & boss). So far, when I go to interview, I do not receive comment about the length of stay with companies.

I have been working at this job for almost 2 years now (7 months as temp, 1 year permanent). With the job market not very good, I might be staying here for a while. I send out resume when I see good opportunity.

Edited by tom&tata

I-130

Jun 28 2004 : Received at NSC

Oct 25 2004 : Transferred to CSC

Oct 29 2004 : Received at CSC

Nov 8 2004 : Received response from CSC that my file is being requested & review will be done

Nov 10 2004 : Email & online status Approved

Nov 15 2004 : NOA 2 in mail

Dec 16 2004 : NVC assigns case number

Dec 20 2004 : NVC sent DS 3032 to beneficiary, copy of DS 3032 & I-864 fee bill to petitioner

Jan 3 2005 : Petitioner received copy of DS 3032 and I-864 fee bill. Post-marked Dec 23rd.

Jan 11 2005 : Beneficiary received DS 3032 in Indonesia

Jan 31 2005 : Sent DS 3032 to NVC

Feb 8, 2005 : NVC received DS 3032

Feb 21, 2005 : IV fee generated

Feb 25, 2005 : Sent I-864 fee bill

Feb 28, 2005 : I-864 fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 3, 2005 : IV fee bill received

Mar 7, 2005 : Sent IV fee bill

Mar 9, 2005 : IV fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 28, 2005 : I-864 fee credited against case.

April 6, 2005 : Received I-864 package

April 7, 2005 : Immigrant Visa fee credited against case.

April 11, 2005 : DS 230 is generated

Aug 12, 2005 : I-864 & DS 230 received by NVC

Sep 14, 2005 : RFE on I-864

Nov 3, 2005 : Checklist response received at NVC

Nov 25, 2005 : Case completion

Dec 9, 2005 : Police Cert requested from the Netherlands

Jan 12 2006 : Interview success - Approved !!

Jan 19 2006 : Visa & brown envelope picked up

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I agree, immigrant or not, any person who wants to change jobs for whatever reason has the right to do so. Now days, it's very common to see resumes showing a short employment history at each place due to the economy and all the lay offs we've had.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I am an immigrant.

I stayed at my first US job a grand total of three months. I hated it so much that I would be sick to my stomach every morning before going to work.

My next job, I stayed for 9 months. I left because I was filling in for someone on leave. I probably would have stayed at that one if they had found another position for me to fill.

My most recent job I had for 9 months as well. I resigned due to health reasons, the fact that I was going to be out of the country for a while, and because my boss was horrible.

I have yet to find work in the career field that I had before I moved to the US, and I probably won't find anything close to that if we stay where we are at. That makes me sad.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

The company I am working for is my first job in the US. I have now been with them for 1 year 6 months. I am very very happy. I am doing the exact same thing as I was in Canada. The best part is I am getting paid way more and the stress is a lot lower. I am really enjoying my career again.

K-1 VISA
08-05-06 - Married in Sycamore IL

AOS / EAD
08-24-06 - AOS/EAD mail to Chicago (Day 1)

11-06-06 - GC & Welcome Letter arrive in Mail (Day 75)

I-751
09-23-08 - Sent Package via USPS (Day 1)
01-02-09 - Received GC in mail (with wrong Resident Since date) (Day 101)

Filed: Country: Singapore
Timeline

I am still at my first job, lol. I started as a temp in Feb 2006, just a few days after I got my CPR card. Got hired full-time 6 months later. Still loving it.

Hello,

Last year, I posted about my wife passing her job interviews. It is her first job, and she's still working in the same company for almost 8 months now. She has had issues with her boss and 2 other co-workers in her deparment only but she deals great with the rest. There is nothing wrong with her but the unprofessionalism her co-workers show her (she's even smarter than her boss). It became our everyday topic whenever we get home from work. My wife would rant about her mean co-workers and I would vent my own "issues" at work. :D I have no problems with that.

Anyway, I told her that if she isn't happy with the job anymore, she may resign anytime. I want her to be happy. She's trying to work things out but she said she feels she has to let go of the job soon.

My question is, how long did you stay at your first job in the US? And what made you quit/leave?

We wish to hear your experiences.

Thank you.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

I still am at my first job. :P I am now an accountant, controller and HR manager. I need another raise lol!! :P

AOS Approved on 10-17-08 (details in profile)

Removal of Conditions on 07-19-10

In this tedious process, we tend to forget that this is all worth it.

I love my hubby beyond anything in this world.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
I am an immigrant.

I stayed at my first US job a grand total of three months. I hated it so much that I would be sick to my stomach every morning before going to work.

My wife can totally relate to that.

My next job, I stayed for 9 months. I left because I was filling in for someone on leave. I probably would have stayed at that one if they had found another position for me to fill.

My most recent job I had for 9 months as well. I resigned due to health reasons, the fact that I was going to be out of the country for a while, and because my boss was horrible.

I have yet to find work in the career field that I had before I moved to the US, and I probably won't find anything close to that if we stay where we are at. That makes me sad.

Have you considered relocating for more opportunities? My wife and I wish you well.

My longest first job here I had was about 11 months. I had big issues with another co-worker, who I had to work with every day and the company I worked for, you just felt like going :bonk: to them, but in the end, the hard working people, like myself at this job, got laid off, no notice, no nothing and the person I had issues with and many other people in the company had issues with this person as well, well they have kept their job and will never be fired. I was the same with my husband, I would come home and rant and rave about this person everyday.

.png

.png

2/5/07 - 2 Year Green Card arrives!!! YAY!!!!

5/10/08 - Received RI Driver's License!

11/10/08 - Removing Conditions - Sent package out!

11/19/08 - Received Notice of Action - 1 year extension on my current green card - now waiting for biometrics letter.

11/28/08 - Received biometrics letter.

12/12/08 - Biometrics appointment - 10am.

01/13/09 - Still waiting............

06/08/09 - Card in production and on it's way!

06/22/09 - Received 10 Year Green Card! YAY!!

happy13.gif thforevertogether.gif

thNevergiveup.gif love9.gif

blinkie18.gif

Made_in_England.gif

Filed: Other Timeline

My husband was at his first US job for.....um....five weeks. :blush:

He was clerking in a convenience store. We really needed the money. He hadn't been here long and I really think it was just 'too much America' too soon. He wasn't comfortable with the currency. He had too many shortages in his cash drawer and they let him go. :( Still though he said he was glad he took the job because he met a lot of nice people.

His second job (more in his line of work) he kept about 10 months. The place was really a hell-hole and he was able to get out of it to take his present position.

He's been at this job a year next month. He really likes it. They are building a new facility and we are hoping they will be able to add a department they have talked about for a while and which they said they would place him in whenever it came to pass. That position would be most like what he did in the UK (technical support).

I don't think anyone should be ashamed to take whatever job is necessary to get them into the workforce. It must be hard to have had a fulfilling career in your home country and then accept 'menial' employment or something far below your skill level. But acclimation to life in America isn't going to happen by sitting at home. I feel for the immigrants looking for work and I do think it's a different situation than a native born person looking for a job.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

My husband stayed at his first job for four months. His bosses were dishonest, his co-workers illegal immigrants that would do anything to get ahead, and my husband worked up to 60 hours a week and was paid sh!t. I wanted him to stay for the experience, but he wanted out. But once I understood more about what he was going through and why he hated it, I supported him, by then he said he'd stay, until it got to be too much to bear.

In the end that job was worth it because he learned a lot and he then had experience working in the U.S.

After that first job, my husband jumped from job to job until he found the one he has now - which he's been at for almost 3 months. It was worth it all I'd say. This is the highest paying job and he has a really nice boss. In addition, his English has really improved and we work basically the same hours.

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.