Henna Rose

Arabic Slang ~ similar to USA?

32 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Just curious as many of you were talking about slang being a whole other language in itself to learn by your SO's when they arrived ~ how does Arabic slang compare to ours ? i know we have some similar sayings and phrases, just wondering if it's as prevalent as in our culture ?

6042646_bodyshot_300x400.gif

weight.png

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

its absolutely as prevalent in morocco. darija is full of slang! i can't speak for anywhere else but i would guess it is in the entire world.

morocco has some funny ones. my husband likes to call not so pretty/unusual looking girls (sounding it out here...no clue how its spelled out) "shabioush" or "chambord". he says it doesn't exactly translate into our slang words for that but its basically what he means.

Edited by sereia

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

I have limited experience in arabic slang. Habibi and I don't usually focus too much on slang because I want to learn how to speak correctly and appropriately to my in laws:) But I used to know this guy from bahrain who was big into slang. But he was younger too...something like 18 or something. Instead of saying salam or ahlan for example in a greeting, he always greeted me with "halla walla" which if I remember correctly was sorta equivelent to our "How's it going?" or "What's up?" I don't remember any others.

June 14, 2007 Sent I130 to Vermont Service Center via USPS overnight

June 15, 2007 Confirmed on usps.com that VSC has received packet

June 29, 2007 Check cashed by USCIS (hey they opened my packet!)

June 30, 2007 Received NOA1

July 7, 2007 I130 touched

July 9, 2007 I130 touched

July 10, 2007 I130 touched

Aug. 24, 2007 I130 touched

Aug. 26, 2007 I130 touched (stop feeling up my husband's case and get him over here, yala!)

Oct. 1, 2007 On my way to Palestine

Oct. 5, 2007 I130 approved, transferrerd to NVC YAY!!!!

Oct. 16, 2007 Return to US, ranks one of the saddest day of my life:(

Oct. 27, 2007 Agent form/AOS bill received from NVC

Nov 1, 2007 Overnighted AOS payment to NVC

Nov. 29, 2007 Received AOS form from NVC

Dec. 20, 2007 overnighted I864 packet to NVC

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

my husband uses a lot of arabic slang (even though his primary language in israel was hebrew). like "yalla" for lets go and "ahlan" for whats up. that is slang right? he also curses in arabic because when he was growing up both of his parents spoke more arabic than hebrew and when they would curse they would do it in arabic so the kids wouldnt understand (although they did understand) bc they were speaking hebrew in school.

not sure how any of this is relevant to the topic at hand tho sorry! just felt like sharin :)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Iraq
Timeline

One of the slang phrases in Iraq is "Sha ku ma ku?" Which basically means "Whats up?". To answer, you say "Ma ku shee" which means basically "Not much" or "Nothing".

Married: May 28th, 2007

Arrived in the US: December 10th, 2008

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Kuwait
Timeline

Don't know any arabic slang, but got a ton of american stuff, my husband always asks me to teach him the lastest slang, which we both learn from the oldest daughter. I am finally getting so old, that I don't know the coolest stuff now. How sad. :crying:

A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.

Eleanor Roosevelt

thquitsmoking3.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Don't know any arabic slang, but got a ton of american stuff, my husband always asks me to teach him the lastest slang, which we both learn from the oldest daughter. I am finally getting so old, that I don't know the coolest stuff now. How sad. :crying:

Just a funny note. We often say "holy cow". My husband has heard this over and over again, and finally asked why we say it. He didn't know that we had some sort of link to India... :rofl:

These stories go on and on, and it is then that I can really take a look at our slang and common phrases we say. When taken literally they really are quite funny.

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Mine told me Happy Weding Birthday i said noooooooo look at the word birth day thinking he meant to say anniversary oh well i knew ha

or the time i told him sit down and keep your pants on...one i will never forget, he goes whattttttttttttttttt????????

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

Timeline
Mine told me Happy Weding Birthday i said noooooooo look at the word birth day thinking he meant to say anniversary oh well i knew ha

or the time i told him sit down and keep your pants on...one i will never forget, he goes whattttttttttttttttt????????

A bit OT from the OP but your happy wedding birthday reminds me of my husband. When he had to send me his original birthcertificaet for his ds230 package, he tried to tell me he sent me his happy birthday for immigration...I was like WHAT? lol:)

Beantown is full of slang. Just ride the train on a Friday night nad you'll pick up on loads. I sat next to this girl one time and she was gabbing on her cell phone about how sick everything was. When I was growing up...God I feel old...everything sick was bad. As I listened to her conversation, I realized that in the year 2008, sick is good.....lol

Aug. 26, 2007 I130 touched (stop feeling up my husband's case and get him over here, yala!)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jordan
Timeline

i do know alot of arabic slang, but sadly, its horrible words...lol...

I do know in arabic when cutting someone down its common to say like "your sisters this" or "your mothers that" its very offensive....also, i know they say things that would literally translate in english to like "ill spit in your mouth" or "put a shoe in your mouth" things like that....

also, telling someone they are on top of your head is like a sign of respect....

img_0169.jpgimg_0192.jpg

qo5Tm6.png

Its so hard to keep up with whats "rockin" or jammin or flippin oi...

AP: Over 1 year.

Visa: Nov 2

US Entry: Nov 13, Alhamdulillah.

BelieveButterflyfortile.jpgPrayerisPower_Cover.jpghello.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
i do know alot of arabic slang, but sadly, its horrible words...lol...

I do know in arabic when cutting someone down its common to say like "your sisters this" or "your mothers that" its very offensive....also, i know they say things that would literally translate in english to like "ill spit in your mouth" or "put a shoe in your mouth" things like that....

also, telling someone they are on top of your head is like a sign of respect....

Yeah, same here, I know some of the worst curses and not too much constructive Arabic.

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Timeline

Along the lines of family members used in slang...

yeah if you wanna insult someone in arabic, and likely start a fight, say something about ehir mother or sister or father. I do not remember the expression now but there is something equivelent to "death upon your father" where if you say it, it is huge and the other person will fight you.

I've found in my experience with arabis that when they insult someone they have so much emotion behind it. Sure, wehn they look at you with angry look they are showing emotion. But the words they use are bigger emotion. (just translate some of the arabic songs....well, that would have to do with love, not insults...but it shows you how emotional they are with their meanings of things)

As far as the shoe.....that is the weopen of choise I think by mothers:) I saw it one time. Kinda funny considering in our culture we beat our kids with yard sticks, belts, etc. I talked to a palestinian woman I sued to know about it and we agreed that maybe the reason tehy pick to hit someone with bottom of a shoe is because it is symbolic of the scum at the bottom of the shoe....depending on how dirty i t is, you're hitting someone with it. But if you hit someone with a shoe, it is also a sign of disrespect. for example, if i was to go to the middle east and be seen hitting habibi with a shoe, I'm sure the entire family would come to his defense and say how horrible I was, lol

This is the most intriguing thing about Arab culture is how the people think to come up with some of these things. It all has very deep meaning.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
I wouldn't recommend any american using american slang when talking with arabs. It's always taken offensive and doesn't make people look classy.

If they are coming here they need to adapt to it.

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.