Tom_Jim

"We Are All Immigrants"

58 posts in this topic

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I've said this a dozen times, but I fully expect that once I gain British citizenship sometime in the future, I'll still never be considered British....I'll always be "the American married to hubster", or "the American". So what gives?

It's your accent. Lose the accent and you'll be considered British.

Will I be considered British if I join the Ministry of Silly Walks? :D

That depends. What does the bunny in your avatar have on his head? :P

sharasugar.pngsharanomsugar.png

07/11/2006 - First met

08/22/2008 - K1 Visa in hand

12/27/2008 - Marriage

05/20/2009 - AOS complete

10/06/2011 - ROC complete

04/20/2012 - Annaleah born!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I know I've said this a dozen times, but I fully expect that once I gain British citizenship sometime in the future, I'll still never be considered British....I'll always be "the American married to hubster", or "the American". So what gives?

It's the Magical Pancake of Doom™ :star:

Filed: Country: England
Timeline
At the moment I think I'll probably always feel British because England is where I have spent all of my formative years - I was born here, attended school here, gained all of my qualifications here and have friends and family here. However, who knows how I'll feel once I've lived for longer in the US than in the UK and am completely out of touch with all aspects of British life?

awww, I hope it DOESN'T happen though. Won't you have ANY ties to Britain? I can't imagine losing all fondness for a place, even with any/all faults.

It's the Magical Pancake of Doom™ :star:

Pancake Bunny!!! I (L) Pancake Bunny! bunycake.gif

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

Filed: Timeline
Native Americans are people born in America. The Cherokee prefer the term Indian, while I prefer First Nations People.

Very well put --- First Nations People. :thumbs:

As far as taking pride in the country I live in: that is not a given nor it should be. I am here because my husband wanted to come back to HIS country, that's that. Free allegiance for me is just not happening. I abide by American laws and do my legwork every day -- but national pride in my opinion stems from a long standing relationship with a homeland; not a "well, now I live here so I am proud of it". My mind does not work that way.

Nessa said it: people will always be offended by this or that, it's human nature. Sometimes we need to just get over ourselves and grow a thicker skin - I do it everyday when reading racism on VJ. It's a public forum, after all, and we are all entitled to our opinions.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
My thoughts: everybody will get offended by something someone said, it's the way it is. If we start a thread about every little thing someone might be offended, we'd need a special forum just for that.

I agree with that definition of immigrant, btw. "a person who leaves one country to settle permanently in another"

i'm offended :o

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

At the moment I think I'll probably always feel British because England is where I have spent all of my formative years - I was born here, attended school here, gained all of my qualifications here and have friends and family here. However, who knows how I'll feel once I've lived for longer in the US than in the UK and am completely out of touch with all aspects of British life?

awww, I hope it DOESN'T happen though. Won't you have ANY ties to Britain? I can't imagine losing all fondness for a place, even with any/all faults.

Oh, I'll always have my family and friends; I am quite close with them! I just meant I'll be out of touch with British news, politics, etc. Plus I'm going to be trying very hard not to lose my accent. ;)

Native Americans are people born in America. The Cherokee prefer the term Indian, while I prefer First Nations People.

Very well put --- First Nations People. :thumbs:

As far as taking pride in the country I live in: that is not a given nor it should be. I am here because my husband wanted to come back to HIS country, that's that. Free allegiance for me is just not happening. I abide by American laws and do my legwork every day -- but national pride in my opinion stems from a long standing relationship with a homeland; not a "well, now I live here so I am proud of it". My mind does not work that way.

Nessa said it: people will always be offended by this or that, it's human nature. Sometimes we need to just get over ourselves and grow a thicker skin - I do it everyday when reading racism on VJ. It's a public forum, after all, and we are all entitled to our opinions.

Sorry; I really meant that those who have lived all of their lives in the same country should perhaps try to take more pride in that country. Basically I find it odd that someone will cling more fiercely to the rights and ideals of the country a grandparent came from (for example) than in the country that has birthed and nurtured them.

sharasugar.pngsharanomsugar.png

07/11/2006 - First met

08/22/2008 - K1 Visa in hand

12/27/2008 - Marriage

05/20/2009 - AOS complete

10/06/2011 - ROC complete

04/20/2012 - Annaleah born!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Sorry; I really meant that those who have lived all of their lives in the same country should perhaps try to take more pride in that country. Basically I find it odd that someone will cling more fiercely to the rights and ideals of the country a grandparent came from (for example) than in the country that has birthed and nurtured them.

I think some people have a very romanticized idea of some other countries. Although to be fair, it wasn't that long ago that many foreigners thought the same of the United States too. "Streets paved with gold" anyone? ;)

Filed: Timeline

I find it so funny when a Born and bred American tells me they to are Scottish.... When I ask where they come from in Scotland, The reply I get is oh I have no idea it was my Great Grandmother who was born there!!!!!

They are no more Scottish than the PLAD they claim is their Clan Cloth.... :rofl::rofl:

Kez

We're from France!

ConeheadsSA.jpg

hey, that dude is sanita's driving instructor

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline
I noticed recently that a few people had "We Are All Immigrants" banners on their signature. I see the value of this being placed there as it reinforces the struggle we're all going through during this process of relocating to the USA as permanent residents.

In the spirit of camaraderie, people would take that statement to be pretty innocuous. However, Americans who cannot identify themselves with their past roots, have taken offense to the statement of them being "immigrants". I see their point. An immigrant defined by Webster's is "a person who leaves one country to settle permanently in another". Although they came from immigrant backgrounds, people born here, raised here, and settle here are technically not immigrants.

Just thought about it more, and I can see how some people can be offended when people use the "we're all immigrants" line.

Any thoughts?

The USA definitely has a tradition of generous immigration policy at certain periods in our history, but I would hesitate into buying into the notion that "we are all immigrants" or "we are a nation of immigrants". The USA had very little immigration from 1924 to 1965. I was born here and I am not an immigrant. My wife is an immigrant. Some of my ancestors were immigrants at some time in history. So what?

Most often I have seen the two quoted terms above selfishly and deceptively used by proponents of mass uncontrolled immigration (both legal and illegal) as some sort of justification of more of the same bad policy. Just because yer ancestors wuz immigrants is no reason to allow bad, detrimental, and stupid immigration policy in 2008. Anyone and everyone in unlimited numbers should not be allowed to immigrate to the USA just because they want a better deal. That is no rational for sane immigration policy.

Reasonable immigration is a good thing...too much immigration is a bad thing. The numbers are way too high now and need to be reduced back to saner levels. If present immigration trends (both legal and illegal) continue we will have 400+ million in the USA by 2050. Why go there? Why should we? Certainly not because "we are all immigrants" or "we are a nation of immigrants".

chart1.gif

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan (D-TX)

Testimony to the House Immigration Subcommittee, February 24, 1995

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

I guess I need to turn signatures back on so I can see this "we are all immigrants" stuff...

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

PC BS

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG