suzukiwookie

Going through US Customs to visit

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I will be going through US customs at the airport to visit my fiancee for a few days. We are at the NOA1 stage. When going through customs, do I tell them right off the bat that I'm in the I-129F process? Or do I say nothing unless the customs officer specifically asks? I want to avoid getting interrogated and possibly missing my flight (6:30am departure).

I usually visit her every 4 weeks and have been doing that for over a year, and have not had any problems. But I've never gone through customs while engaged. The usual questioning is:

Officer:

"Where are you going?"

"Where are you staying" I usually say "at my girlfriend's place."

"How long are you staying"

"What do you do for a living?"

Only twice has the officer asked how long we've been together and how did we meet. And once my fiancee and I went through together and we were separated and questioned by the same officer. The last thing he asked me was "so... what do you think? (pointing at my gilfriend)" And I said, "Um... She's very nice" (lame I know...) And then he said "So, you going to pop the big question?" To which I replied "Um, I don't know, I haven't thought about it." So then he stamped my pasport and wrote B-2 on the stamp.

Anyways... Just want to see what some of you have done when crossing the border and what you've been asked and what you have answered.

Always be honest about your answers to them and if I was you, I would also bring evidence with you to show them you still have ties with your homeland, stuff like a letter from your employer in which is stated that he expects you to come back at work then and then, home lease papers, phone bills etc etc. Anything which might prove your ties to your home country is good. I wouldn't show it until they ask me about it tho but make sure you have it at least with you to be sure :)

As long as you're honest, I am sure there will be no problem :)

N400 Timeline:

12/14/11 - Sending out N400 package

12/19/11 - Received by USCIS

12/21/11 - NOA date

12/22/11 - Check cashed

12/27/11 - Received NOA

02/06/12 - Received yellow letter (pre-interview case file review)

03/13/12 - Placed in line for interview scheduling (3 yr anniversary)

03/17/12 - Received interview letter

04/17/12 - Interview - No decision, application under further review

04/17/12 - Biometrics

04/25/12 - Placed in line for oath scheduling (so I'm approved yay!)

04/27/12 - Received oath ceremony date

05/09/12 - Oath ceremony!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Guatemala
Timeline

Answer every question directly and honestly but do not offer any unsolicited information.

I'd also bring a copy of NOA1, just in case. When I visitied my fiance last december, I brought all our I-129F documents and NOA2. but at the POE officer did not ask me any questions regarding our K-1 process.

Good luck! :)

APPLIED FOR NATURALIZATION 07/2021

08.01.2011 - I-751 SENT

08.05.2011 - Check cashed

08.08.2011- NOA Received

08.19.2011 - Biometrics Letter Received

09.12.2011 - Biometrics Appointment

01.27.2012 - Card production ordered

02.01.2012 - 10 year GC Received

07.25.2021 - N400 filed online

08.09.2021- Biometrics re-use notice

04.18.2022- Interview done at Minneapolis USCIS Local Office   ✔️ Received N-652 "Congratulations your application has been recommended for approval" during the interview.

05.19.2022- Oath Ceremony in MN

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Why would customs question you at all? Generally you go through Immigration first and they are the ones who ask you these type of questions - customs check your bags for drugs and other illegal and prohibited substances etc. You need to tell customs the truth and hope they let you therough if your K1 is in process etc. Check out the rules on traveling while your K1 (and then your AOS) is in process. Good Luck

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

Timeline
Why would customs question you at all? Generally you go through Immigration first and they are the ones who ask you these type of questions - customs check your bags for drugs and other illegal and prohibited substances etc. You need to tell customs the truth and hope they let you therough if your K1 is in process etc. Check out the rules on traveling while your K1 (and then your AOS) is in process. Good Luck

Customs - Are United States Customs and Border Protection (CBP) They are the ones that ask you questions at the booth.

Airport Security are the ones that check your bags and make you go through the metal detectors. They have no affiliation with the united states government.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Guatemala
Timeline

Customs - Are United States Customs and Border Protection (CBP) They are the ones that ask you questions at the booth.

Airport Security are the ones that check your bags and make you go through the metal detectors. They have no affiliation with the united states government.

:yes: We usually say "POE officer", but they are Customs and Border Protection Officers.

Motu, "Immigration" is USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services), they are responsible for the approval of immigrant and nonimmigrant petitions, work permits, AOS, etc. CBP (Customs and Border Protection) is responsible for admission of all travelers entering the U.S. they determine if you can be admitted and how long you can stay.

CBP Officers ask all kinds of question regarding how long you'll be staying and whom will you staying with, but they also ask questions about what kind of products you are bringing into the territory (products that you may need to declare, or food products that might be banned on the U.S. territory).

Edited by eric_and_teresa

APPLIED FOR NATURALIZATION 07/2021

08.01.2011 - I-751 SENT

08.05.2011 - Check cashed

08.08.2011- NOA Received

08.19.2011 - Biometrics Letter Received

09.12.2011 - Biometrics Appointment

01.27.2012 - Card production ordered

02.01.2012 - 10 year GC Received

07.25.2021 - N400 filed online

08.09.2021- Biometrics re-use notice

04.18.2022- Interview done at Minneapolis USCIS Local Office   ✔️ Received N-652 "Congratulations your application has been recommended for approval" during the interview.

05.19.2022- Oath Ceremony in MN

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I had not thought of this, as I will be setting off ( again ) in May to visit my fiance, is there or, where can I find restrictions on the travel while a K-1 is pending? This will be the first trip since filling !

Thanks, Lynda

Jan 30 2008 : I-129F sent to VSC

Feb 15 2008 : NOA1

Feb 15 2008: Check Cashed

Apr 01 2008: RFE ( sent in wrong document )

Apr 10 2008: Current Status: Response to request for evidence received, and case processing has resumed

Aug 11,2008 NOA2 - Email Notification ( YAAAAAA )

Aug 15,2008 NOA2 - Hardcopy Arrives

Aug 13,2008 received at NVC

.................. received letter from NVC

Aug 15,2008 left NVC

.................. received at U.S. Embassy London

.................. Medical

.................. Interview

.................. POE:

Hi Lynda,

There are no real restrictions on travel while a K1 is pending, you should be able to get through customs without any problem.

However, it will be good to carry your 129F documents with you and documents which shows proof of your ties to your home country so that they can be sure of you going back to your home country.

They can stop you at customs but they probably wont if you just be honest about their questions and can provide them with the needed proof :)

N400 Timeline:

12/14/11 - Sending out N400 package

12/19/11 - Received by USCIS

12/21/11 - NOA date

12/22/11 - Check cashed

12/27/11 - Received NOA

02/06/12 - Received yellow letter (pre-interview case file review)

03/13/12 - Placed in line for interview scheduling (3 yr anniversary)

03/17/12 - Received interview letter

04/17/12 - Interview - No decision, application under further review

04/17/12 - Biometrics

04/25/12 - Placed in line for oath scheduling (so I'm approved yay!)

04/27/12 - Received oath ceremony date

05/09/12 - Oath ceremony!!

Filed: Timeline

:yes: We usually say "POE officer", but they are Customs and Border Protection Officers.

Motu, "Immigration" is USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services), they are responsible for the approval of immigrant and nonimmigrant petitions, work permits, AOS, etc. CBP (Customs and Border Protection) is responsible for admission of all travelers entering the U.S. they determine if you can be admitted and how long you can stay.

CBP Officers ask all kinds of question regarding how long you'll be staying and whom will you staying with, but they also ask questions about what kind of products you are bringing into the territory (products that you may need to declare, or food products that might be banned on the U.S. territory).

Just to try and clear some of this up.... CBP Officers wear two hats. They wear their Customs hat when they are asking questions about items being brought into the US. They wear their Immigration hat when they are asking questions about your intent for entering the US.

SuzukiWookie..... this link may be helpful to you: Visitation FAQ's

iagree.gif

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Answer every question directly and honestly but do not offer any unsolicited information.

I'd also bring a copy of NOA1, just in case. When I visitied my fiance last december, I brought all our I-129F documents and NOA2. but at the POE officer did not ask me any questions regarding our K-1 process.

Good luck! :)

An example of direct and honest but not offering unsolicited information would be to change your answer to staying with a friend. You need not mention your friend is your girlfriend or fiance. Assuming your visits are short and you've always returned, there may not be any other questions. If your fiance(e) visa process comes up, be prepared with evidence of ties.

Believe it or not, a fiance will still "stay" at a friend's house by choice or personal values, even in this century, so saying you're staying with a friend isn't a lie. Whether you stay with your fiance before marriage or not is not of the CBP officer's business.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

I would just like to update this and let you guys know that going through customs on my last visit to the US was very easy and problem free. I was asked three short questions and waved right through without any problems. I guess I was worried for nothing.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.