raphael7546

My kitten is Anemic

39 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My little kitty has been losing weight & is pretty listless. I noticed that his foot pads, nose & ears were looking really pale compared to the pink they usually are. So, we took him to the vet.

The vet took blood samples. He said that Peepers is severly Anemic. Has no clue why. He tested the samples for Feline Leukemia and they came back negative. He said to make sure he eats and keep him comfortable. but what else can we do? Any help would be appreciated.

post-1938-1208381304_thumb.jpg

This is Lil "P" as we call him sitting on top of Snowy

A Lily & A Rose...Together Forever !

April 28th INTERVIEW DATE !!!!!!!! APPROVED

June 30th Arrived in my Sweeties Arms !!

August 4th.2005 Our Wedding

Sept. 19th Sent AOS

Sept 28th recieved NOA for AOS

Nov.05/05 recieved Biometrics letter

Nov.17th Biometrics Appt.

Nov. 22nd. AP Approved

Nov. 25th/05 recieved EAD card

Nov.30th. recieved AP Papers in mail

Dec. 08th/05 Recieved Snail mail letter for AOS Interview Feb 15th 7:40 AM.

Feb. 15th. /06 AOS Interview SUCCESS !!!! no more to deal with for another 2 yrs!

Feb. 27th./06 Recieved Greencard in the mail

August 4th/06 Our First Wedding Anniversary !!

Feb. 8th 08 Sent in Packet to remove conditions

Feb 23rd 08 Recieve NOA letter stating they are extending my Greencard for another year.

March 11th 08 biometrics appt.

May 29th 08 recieved email stating Card production ordered

June 7th 2008 10 yr card recieved.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

alfie.jpg

My lil Alfie boy

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Timeline
Have you noticed/did the vet check for blood in peepers stool?

My husband talked to the vet and he said that the its a congenitive issue. He checked him for lead, toxic poisoning, all kinds of things. He said that the only thing he can suggest is that they give him a blood transfusion. He said that may help him but, we could find in a few weeks that he is right back to the same spot again. He suggested we get him baby food ( liver, chicken, turkey, ham etc...) feed that to him and see if it helps him gain his strength. He said we can check in a few days to see how he is doing and then consider the transfusion.

No idea how much the transfusion will cost tho. Were not exactly wealthy.

My hubby gave him some baby food and he ate some of it. He is drinking lots of water and seems to be in better spirits.

His little brother Ziggy, keeps calling for him. He's a real charterbox and always calls out for him and we have to let Ziggy know where he is or he'll wander all over the house looking for him.

One good thing the vet said is that this is not contagious. We have 7 other cats.

Sept. 19th Sent AOS

Nov. 22nd. AP Approved

Feb. 15th. /06 AOS Interview SUCCESS !!!! no more to deal with for another 2 yrs!

Feb 23rd 08 Recieve NOA letter stating they are extending my Greencard for another year.

alfie.jpg

My lil Alfie boy

Timeline

My husband talked to the vet and he said that the its a congenitive issue. He checked him for lead, toxic poisoning, all kinds of things. He said that the only thing he can suggest is that they give him a blood transfusion. He said that may help him but, we could find in a few weeks that he is right back to the same spot again. He suggested we get him baby food ( liver, chicken, turkey, ham etc...) feed that to him and see if it helps him gain his strength. He said we can check in a few days to see how he is doing and then consider the transfusion.

My hubby gave him some baby food and he ate some of it. He is drinking lots of water and seems to be in better spirits.

His little brother Ziggy, keeps calling for him. He's a real charterbox and always calls out for him and we have to let Ziggy know where he is or he'll wander all over the house looking for him.

One good thing the vet said is that this is not contagious. We have 7 other cats.

Bumpin this up in case there is a Vetrinarian on here.

Sept. 19th Sent AOS

Nov. 22nd. AP Approved

alfie.jpg

My lil Alfie boy

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline

not a vet, but when I was raising some orphaned baby kitties my vet recommended mixing the first stage baby food meat with goat milk. I think the goat milk has iron in it, then I soaked some dry kitten food in it for 10 or 15 minutes until it kinda turned into a paste. I know he is probably older and my little kitties werent anemic but maybe your guy could just use some extra rich nutrition for a week or so...

Photo1949-1.jpg

5GTLm7.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

i don't recall ever seeing a vet on vj, but mags will probably be your best source of info regarding cats.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

i don't recall ever seeing a vet on vj, but mags will probably be your best source of info regarding cats.

Well, I had to feed the warmed baby food thru an eyedropper cuz my daughter must of taken the bottle that I used to use to feed orphaned kittens. I can't find it anywhere. :(

He doesn't want to eat but I managed to get 3 tablespoons of food down him. He's sleeping now. I'll get up early and give him more baby food. I used to mix iron fortified baby pablum with milk supplement for the orphaned kittens and feed them that with a bottle. I'd mix it thin enough that it would go thru the bottle alright. I'm gonna buy that tomorrow. plus a new bottle.

Please say a prayer for peeps if you can! Thanks!

Sept. 19th Sent AOS

Nov. 22nd. AP Approved

alfie.jpg

My lil Alfie boy

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Well, I had to feed the warmed baby food thru an eyedropper cuz my daughter must of taken the bottle that I used to use to feed orphaned kittens. I can't find it anywhere. :(

He doesn't want to eat but I managed to get 3 tablespoons of food down him. He's sleeping now. I'll get up early and give him more baby food. I used to mix iron fortified baby pablum with milk supplement for the orphaned kittens and feed them that with a bottle. I'd mix it thin enough that it would go thru the bottle alright. I'm gonna buy that tomorrow. plus a new bottle.

Please say a prayer for peeps if you can! Thanks!

will say a prayer and i'll pm mags and let her know there is a kitty in need.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Sorry that Peepers is doing so poorly. I don't know much about Anemia in cats, but I do know it can be connected to renal problems. Ask your vet to do some kidney function tests as renal problems are very common n cats.

I found this article, it's pretty informative:

Look into why your frisky kitty seems so sluggish lately.

Anemia is an inadequate number of red blood cells, or erythrocytes, in the circulatory system. Erythrocytes carry life-sustaining oxygen to the body tissues. Without them, tissues become starved for oxygen, and weakness and tissue damage set in.

Causes of anemia fall into three categories: blood-loss anemia, early destruction of erythrocytes, and lack of erythrocyte production. Treatment varies depending on the cause.

Risk Factors and Detection

Some cats inherit breed-related blood disorders - enzyme deficiencies, hemophilia, and clotting factor deficiencies - that can lead to anemia. Free-roaming cats can develop anemia from traumatic injuries, toxin ingestion, or infectious diseases. Cats with chronic diseases such as kidney failure or liver disease also may develop anemia.

Blood-Loss Anemia

Blood-loss anemia can be sudden (acute) or occur over time (chronic). Acute causes include traumatic injuries (such as being hit by a car), inherited clotting deficiencies, and rodenticide poisoning. Chronic blood-loss anemia can result from a gastric ulcer, an intestinal parasite, cancer, bleeding through the urinary tract, and fleas.

Early Destruction of Erythrocytes

Several conditions can shorten erythrocyte life span and cause anemia, including inherited enzyme abnormalities, blood parasite infestations, viral infections, certain drugs (acetaminophen in cats), zinc toxicity caused by swallowed pennies or zinc bolts, and an abnormal immune system attack on the bodys red blood cells.

Lack of Erythrocyte Production

Causes of inadequate erythrocyte production by the bone marrow include iron deficiency, either from chronic blood loss or poor diet, and conditions that suppress the bone marrow. These conditions include chronic kidney or liver disease; other chronic illnesses; various cancers; and viral infections such as feline leukemia virus, feline immunodeficiency virus, and feline infectious peritonitis. Chemotherapy drugs, estrogen, chemicals, heavy metals, and other toxins also impair erythrocyte production.

Signs of anemia include the following:

* decreased appetite

* fatigue or weakness

* blackish feces

* weight loss

* bloody urine

* pale or jaundiced gums and tongue

* weak pulse

* heart murmur

* collapse

Call your veterinarian if you notice any of these signs. Your veterinarian will ask if your cat has been exposed to toxins, is receiving any medications, or has traveled recently. She will perform a complete physical examination and may order blood tests, fecal tests, a urinalysis, X-rays, and possibly a bone marrow aspirate or biopsy to determine the conditions cause and severity.

Prevention and Treatment

You cant ward off all types of anemia, but a balanced diet and preventive veterinary care, including regular vaccinations and parasite control, prevent anemia in most pets. Keep your cat inside or in a fenced yard. Roaming pets are likelier to encounter cars, toxins, and contagious diseases.

When treating anemia, your veterinarian will address the cause and provide medical support until your cats erythrocyte numbers rise. Supportive care may include oxygen therapy to maximize tissue oxygenation, intravenous fluids to maintain adequate blood volume and pressure, and blood transfusions. Your veterinarian will also treat any concurrent illnesses, such as diabetes, kidney disease, liver disease, and cancer.

Maintaining a balanced diet provides the iron and vitamins your cat needs to produce red blood cells. Some cats also require iron and vitamin supplements. (Be aware that oral iron supplements may cause unexplained death in kittens and should be avoided.)

Sometimes pets ingest metals and develop zinc toxicity. For example, pennies minted after 1982 and zinc bolts from pet carriers can induce anemia. If this is the case, your veterinarian will use a flexible endoscope to retrieve the item. If unsuccessful, she likely will recommend surgery.

Depending on the diagnosis, your veterinarian may prescribe one of the following medications:

* Anthelmintic medications to treat intestinal parasites

* Flea products to control blood-sucking fleas or lice

* Antibiotics to treat infections

* Immunosuppressive agents to suppress an overactive immune system

* Chemotherapeutic agents to treat cancer (requires close monitoring because they can also suppress the bone marrow)

* Vitamin K to prevent or halt bleeding if your pet ingests rat poison

Prognosis

The prognosis for anemic cats varies. Some causes, such as flea infestation, are easily treated if the condition hasnt progressed too far. Other causes of anemia are much more serious - your veterinarian can advise you of the most probable outcome.

Original Article

Keep us posted!

Timeline

My husband called the vet and he said that Peepers bloodwork was sent

out & checked for Hemobart, feline aids, leukimia,poison toxicity and

all came back negative. He said that he has no idea why peepers isn't

producing red blood cells but that he doesn't want to give him

anything bucasue he has no answers.

My husband asked about the blood transfusion and the vet said that he

doesn't do them, that he would be sent to Salt lake city for that (40

minutes drive away) He doesn't want to give him anything. He doesn't

want to give him any meds until he knows whats wrong. He wants us to

keep feeding him the baby food (I checked the baby food to make sure

there isn't any onion or onion powder. Its all natural, chicken, water

and cornstarch.) Onion depletes red blood cells in cats. He won't eat or drink on his own. His eyes are really glassy and he just sleeps. I feed him every couple hrs when I'm home. I'm off work early today so as soon as I get home, I'll feed him. He responds to my voice and stuff but he is soooo weak.

I am so mad at this vet. It seems he just wants us to wait and let him die.

My husband said he will look into calling another vet and see what

they say.

Sept. 19th Sent AOS

Nov. 22nd. AP Approved

alfie.jpg

My lil Alfie boy

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
My husband called the vet and he said that Peepers bloodwork was sent

out & checked for Hemobart, feline aids, leukimia,poison toxicity and

all came back negative. He said that he has no idea why peepers isn't

producing red blood cells but that he doesn't want to give him

anything bucasue he has no answers.

My husband asked about the blood transfusion and the vet said that he

doesn't do them, that he would be sent to Salt lake city for that (40

minutes drive away) He doesn't want to give him anything. He doesn't

want to give him any meds until he knows whats wrong. He wants us to

keep feeding him the baby food (I checked the baby food to make sure

there isn't any onion or onion powder. Its all natural, chicken, water

and cornstarch.) Onion depletes red blood cells in cats. He won't eat or drink on his own. His eyes are really glassy and he just sleeps. I feed him every couple hrs when I'm home. I'm off work early today so as soon as I get home, I'll feed him. He responds to my voice and stuff but he is soooo weak.

I am so mad at this vet. It seems he just wants us to wait and let him die.

My husband said he will look into calling another vet and see what

they say.

Get a plastic syringe and inject water into his mouth. I do that with one of my kitties when he has an attack. Just gently squeeze it into his mouth. Water is more important than food. Then, get him to another vet, ASAP.

Keep us posted.

Edited by Mags

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Water, water... definitely check for high/low salt in the urine... hope his health improves!

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.