A&D=<3

Advice on Cooking Fish

44 posts in this topic

I made fish last Saturday and it was really good. I picked up a package of Tilapia fillets from Costco and I marinated them in lemon juice, salt, pepper, arabic spice mix (bharat),and garlic. After a few hours, I coated them in flour which was seasoned with salt & pepper and deep fried them. They were really good.

I made a ton of side dishes too:

Hummos

Baba Ghanouj

Tabouli

Avocado salad (chunks of avocado mixed with lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic)

French Fries

Bagdonseyah (a sauce made from chopped parsley, tahini, lemon, serrano pepper)

We pigged out! I usually like Tilapia whole instead of fillets but right now I can't bear to eat anything on bones.

You should look into where they buy their tilapia. Other countries farm them in their waste water treatment ponds. (Human waste)

The label said Honduras. Costco is known for high quality products so I have never really worried about it. I saw some in another store that said it was farmed in China so I didn't buy any.

VJ Hours - I am available M-F from 10am - 5pm PST. I will occasionaly put in some OT for a fairly good poo slinging thread or a donut.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline
I made fish last Saturday and it was really good. I picked up a package of Tilapia fillets from Costco and I marinated them in lemon juice, salt, pepper, arabic spice mix (bharat),and garlic. After a few hours, I coated them in flour which was seasoned with salt & pepper and deep fried them. They were really good.

Hummos

Baba Ghanouj

Tabouli

Avocado salad (chunks of avocado mixed with lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic)

French Fries

We pigged out! I usually like Tilapia whole instead of fillets but right now I can't bear to eat anything on bones.

JP - I was the same way with the fish and bones when i was pregnant with our first. I loved fish on bones with our second though.... Also thanks so much for the muhammarah sp? recipe - it was a huge hit this past weekend.

Hummos

Baba Ghanouj

Tabouli

French Fries

JP - I was the same way with the fish and bones when i was pregnant with our first. I loved fish on bones with our second though.... Also thanks so much for the muhammarah sp? recipe - it was a huge hit this past weekend.

Oh yay! I'm so glad everyone liked it! It was a huge hit the first time I made it too!

VJ Hours - I am available M-F from 10am - 5pm PST. I will occasionaly put in some OT for a fairly good poo slinging thread or a donut.

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline

we make a marinade of tons of crushed cilantro, some garlic, ginger, paprika, salt, lemon juice, olive oil and some vinegar. we use either a food processor or a mortar and pestle to make it into kind of a paste. then we marinate the fish in it for several hours. Dip it in flour and fry and mmm, its so delicious. Also there is a baked tagine-y type dish that has fish layered with potatoes, tomatoes and red peppers using the same basic marinade/spice paste. its also very delicious :)

Photo1949-1.jpg

5GTLm7.png

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

Hummos

Baba Ghanouj

Tabouli

French Fries

Oh yay! I'm so glad everyone liked it! It was a huge hit the first time I made it too!

well i made it for a bunch of israelis (americans too) but you know israelis are also used to eating tons of salads mezze etc and noone had ever had this before! they were like WALNUTS?! yet it had the middle eastern taste and feel to it. so that was really fun.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
we make a marinade of tons of crushed cilantro, some garlic, ginger, paprika, salt, lemon juice, olive oil and some vinegar. we use either a food processor or a mortar and pestle to make it into kind of a paste. then we marinate the fish in it for several hours. Dip it in flour and fry and mmm, its so delicious. Also there is a baked tagine-y type dish that has fish layered with potatoes, tomatoes and red peppers using the same basic marinade/spice paste. its also very delicious :)

Skip the cilantro and this sound so good, especially the tagine part! Would you still flour the fish if using the tagine, or would you pour in some type of liquid? - I will use it next week...Thanks for sharing Sara :thumbs:

Citizenship (N-400)

09/15/2009 - Application mailed to Texas Lockbox

09/17/2009 - Delivered to the Lockbox

09/21/2009 - Check cashed

09/24/2009 - NOA dated 9/18/09

09/26/2009 - RFE mailed out dated 9/25 (biometrics notice)

10/14/2009 - Biometrics completed

01/01/2010 - finally an update - awaiting interview letter

02/08/2010 - interview (Garden City, NY) -- PASSED

03/03/2010 - Oath Ceremony in Brooklyn

03/13/2010 - U.S. Passport in hand

DONE!!!

i haven't read this thread so if anyone else posted this already.. i had no idea... but i wanted to give u my recipe coz it NEVER fails to please....

Amal's recipe for cooking fish.............

DON'T!!

fish, yuck ... :lol:

Visited Jordan-December 2004

Interview-December 2005

Visa approved-December 2005, 1 week later after supplying "more information"

Arrived U.S.A.-December 2005

Removed Conditions-September 2008

Divorced in December 2013

lovingmemory.jpgInlovingmemory-2.gifmybabygirl-1-1.jpghenna_rose.jpg37320lovesaved-1.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline

Skip the cilantro and this sound so good, especially the tagine part! Would you still flour the fish if using the tagine, or would you pour in some type of liquid? - I will use it next week...Thanks for sharing Sara :thumbs:

no flour for the tagine.. just layer on the bottom some sliced potatoes, then the fish, then tomatoes, then some sliced red pepper rings and pour over the marinating liquid. cover and bake for a while. eat with good moroccan bread. mmm.

dont you like cilantro Dorothy? I love it so we use a LOT around here.

Photo1949-1.jpg

5GTLm7.png

:) 1 simple Filipino recipe for Tilapia or any freshwater fish...

INGREDIENTS:

1/4 kilo tilapia (fillet or medium sized)

5-6 cloves garlic, minced

1 cup vinegar

1/3 cup water

1 tbsp. soy sauce

1 tbsp. salt

1 tbsp. pepper

2 tbsp. cooking oil

Scrape scales of fish. Clean. Arrange on shallow pan.

Add all ingredients. Cover. Let boil, then lower heat and cook for 15 - 20 minutes

Enjoy :thumbs:

Edited by RIDION

N-400 TIMELINE

06/06/12 * Naturalization Interview

04/30/12 * Received Interview Letter

04/04/12 * Biometrics

03/10/12 * Received NOA

03/03/12 * N-400 Submitted (AZ)

I-751 TIMELINE

05/18/11 * Received 10 yr Green Card

05/17/11 * Approved

04/04/11 * Biometrics Appointment done

03/21/11 * Received Bio Notice (03/15/11)

03/03/11 * Encashed check

03/01/11 * NOA1 receipt date

02/28/11 * I-751 submitted (CSC)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Akram's favorite food is fish. I personally do not like fish and therefore have never cooked it... or when I have it is terrible. (I tried to cook catfish ewwwwwwww) Can anyone who has their husband here now, tell me what fish they prefer here in the states. I know the fish in Egypt are different than the ones we can find here. Any help on what fish is comparable would be great. Also, ANY ADVICE on how to cook it....

where can you get WHOLE fish?? can you tell I have no clue here...

:bonk:

I love salmon... Mmmmm! Oh another tip, don't buy tilapia IMO.. *ptuuii* It has that sand after taste

(CHECK MY PROFILE INFORMATION FOR COMPLETE SIGNATURE)

August 19, 2006 VISA ON HAND!!!

September 5, 2006- POE @ SFO

September 8, 2006- Applied for SSN

SSN arrived more than a month after.. GRRR!!

November 8, 2006- MARRIED @ San Francisco City Hall

November 21, 2006- Received official marriage certificate

Dec. 19, 2006- sent out AOS

Jan. 3, 2007- Cashed cheques for AOS and EAD

March 15, 2007- AOS interview; APPROVED!!

March 23, 2007- Welcome letter/notice received from mail

March 27, 2007- GREENCARD

Sept 5, 2007 - my first anniversary in the U.S

Jan 30, 2009 - Mailed I-751 removal of conditional residence status

Feb 2, 2009 - Package mailed 10:22 AM at Laguna Niguel, CA (CSC)

Feb 5, 2009 - Check cashed

Feb 26, 2009 Biometrics

The Newlyweds: DJ and PRINCESS

watch clearer version[/color]

mylove.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Akram's favorite food is fish. I personally do not like fish and therefore have never cooked it... or when I have it is terrible. (I tried to cook catfish ewwwwwwww) Can anyone who has their husband here now, tell me what fish they prefer here in the states. I know the fish in Egypt are different than the ones we can find here. Any help on what fish is comparable would be great. Also, ANY ADVICE on how to cook it....

where can you get WHOLE fish?? can you tell I have no clue here...

:bonk:

You can go online and see if their is an Arabic market near you...............there is one near us and they

have lots of foods that are common in Egypt.

A lot of fish tastes great baked in the oven.........it cooks quickly.......like salmon.........

just put a little butter on it.......when it comes out of the oven, sprinkle lemon and dill on it and you're done.

It's not too complicated.

I am sure there is tons on the net about it.

Ahmed also loves shrimp.

Egyptian Red Snapper

Ingredients:

• 6-8 Ounces Red Snapper fillets

• 1 Tablespoon olive oil

• 1 Large Spanish Onion

• 2 Cloves garlic

• 1 Red pepper, charred, skinned, chopped

• 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil

• 1/2 Tablespoon thyme (dried)

• 3 Tablespoons lemon juice

• 5 Mint leaves

• Cayenne Pepper, to taste

Preparation:

Sauté onions in olive oil until golden for the sauce

Add garlic, red pepper and remaining ingredients, simmer for 10 minutes.

Pour sauce over Red snapper fillets and bake covered at 350° F for 18 minutes. Serve over rice or couscous.

Edited by LynnandAhmed

If you love me, then I have everything I need

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

no flour for the tagine.. just layer on the bottom some sliced potatoes, then the fish, then tomatoes, then some sliced red pepper rings and pour over the marinating liquid. cover and bake for a while. eat with good moroccan bread. mmm.

dont you like cilantro Dorothy? I love it so we use a LOT around here.

Thanks again Sara - I will be making this on Sunday - can't wait for the end result. As for cilantro, I actually hate it. The flavor is just too overpowering.

Talking about cilantro, last week I went out with my girls to a hip lower east site Moroccan restaurant with the idea of introducing them to the Moroccan cuisine. The place was nice, service OK but the food - FULL OF CILANTRO - I was so dissapointed... there is nothing better then good authentic Moroccan food in Astoria, Queens...

Citizenship (N-400)

09/15/2009 - Application mailed to Texas Lockbox

09/17/2009 - Delivered to the Lockbox

09/21/2009 - Check cashed

09/24/2009 - NOA dated 9/18/09

09/26/2009 - RFE mailed out dated 9/25 (biometrics notice)

10/14/2009 - Biometrics completed

01/01/2010 - finally an update - awaiting interview letter

02/08/2010 - interview (Garden City, NY) -- PASSED

03/03/2010 - Oath Ceremony in Brooklyn

03/13/2010 - U.S. Passport in hand

DONE!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.