A&D=<3

Advice on Cooking Fish

44 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Akram's favorite food is fish. I personally do not like fish and therefore have never cooked it... or when I have it is terrible. (I tried to cook catfish ewwwwwwww) Can anyone who has their husband here now, tell me what fish they prefer here in the states. I know the fish in Egypt are different than the ones we can find here. Any help on what fish is comparable would be great. Also, ANY ADVICE on how to cook it....

where can you get WHOLE fish?? can you tell I have no clue here...

:bonk:

Akram & Donna

[/i]

Habeby............. Ana Bamoot Fek!!!

انا بموت فيك

[/u][/b]

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

What is the kind of fish he has in Egypt? Is it a white ocean fish? Ammar likes most fish, but especially Salmon and Cod. He also likes Tilapia and whiting. You can get a whole fish most places that sell meat and fish-- so lots of grocery stores have them--even walmart. Otherwise, you'd have to go to a fish market which may or may not be available depending on the size of your location. Just FYI-- fish should have no smell. if it smells fishy, it isn't fresh.

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I cook fish frequently as my husband loves it too. Though usually it's shellfish as opposed to fish fish. When I cook fish fish, I'll make salmon, haddock, tilapia, pollock, tuna.... I admit I don't know a lot about fish, but I think that we both prefer saltwater fish to freshwater fish. I know that I can't stand that moldy taste (IMO) that catfish has.

I find whole fish easily around here, though I've heard that it's not as widely available in some areas of the country.

ETA: Oops, sorry, I didn't realize when I posted that you were asking specifically about Egypt

Edited by Jenn!

Filed: Timeline

I forgot the Arabic name of the fish I buy here but it's a kind of white fish. I buy it whole. I buy mine from the Mid Eastern fish & poultry market in my area. I stuff it with herbs (parsley and cilantro), minced garlic, a bit of jalapeno, salt and pepper. I flour the outside lightly and fry it whole. This is how my SILs make it in Egypt. They make it another way, too, but I don't have the type of oven (forn) they have there.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline
You and I both got that same "burn". It's a good one, no? :lol: Especially good coming from one who isn't getting any himself. :lol: :lol:

Ok :ot2:

--------------------

:jest::bonk::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

You're just jealous cuz you're not getting any.

:bonk::lol::rofl::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: lol you are so right moody

:ot2:

Timeline

ok my wife dont eat fish too at all . i told her i wont eat meat there for awhile after i come till i make sure it has no pork so i wouldnot have any choice but fish and since she dont eat fish or cook it so she need to learn too

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

In the United States, tilapia are considered important for their food value. These fish have also been popularized for their use in waste-water treatment schemes and aquatic-weed control programs.

Because of the diversity of culture systems it is impractical to describe all the different operations used for raising tilapia commercially. Life stages and culture technology for commercial production of hybrid tilapia in the United States are described in Figure 1 . Domestic production of hybrid tilapia consists mainly of all-male populations, which are raised primarily as a high-quality fish for human food. Culture is carried out in indoor tanks, water recirculating systems, outdoor raceways, ponds, and floating cages. In several states, primarily Florida and California, tilapia are also fished commercially. "Extensive" pond culture methods for tilapia, traditional in many countries throughout the world, are not commonly used in the United States. For example, culture of tilapia in wastewater fed ponds, a viable and less expensive production system, is not considered acceptable for ecological or sanitary reasons.

I love fish but will not eat tilapia because if it was imported to the US it may have been raised in sewer.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

you should be able to distinguish the pork from the other meats quickly, theres all kinds of beef, chicken, turkey and fishes to pick from, and you just may need do the cooking of the fish for her

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

Filed: Timeline

Don't worry about the pork. Your wife will know which items contain pork and which do not. She's Muslim (I'm assuming from the hijab) so she should already have a trained eye for hidden pork or pork byproducts in food items.

Will you be relocating to an area that has a Arab/Muslim population?

ok my wife dont eat fish too at all . i told her i wont eat meat there for awhile after i come till i make sure it has no pork so i wouldnot have any choice but fish and since she dont eat fish or cook it so she need to learn too

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

My husband does not like Salmon. I haven't cooked it but we watched some show about fishermen the other night and he said he doesn't like the fish with the pink inside. I'm afraid to cook him fish since everytime his sisters cooked it he got deathly ill. I mostly just take a nice piece of scrod, put in a casserole dish, cover with Ritz cracker crumbs and butter and serve with lemon on the side. :) Maybe I'll cook that one day and see if he likes it.

I am unable to cook a whole fish because I'll think it's staring at me and it'll give me a guilt trip. Same thing with lobster.....I don't have the heart to put them in the boiling water. :(

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Timeline

i dont just talk about pork as meat as pork products enter in alot of foods and candies(Gelatine) and also oils so it is hard to know

and yes moody i will be in virginia but ther is no alot of muslim there!

Timeline
I am unable to cook a whole fish because I'll think it's staring at me and it'll give me a guilt trip. Same thing with lobster.....I don't have the heart to put them in the boiling water. :(

so just cover its head birdget :lol:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.