catknit

Name check during K1 process

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

I'm talking to the fiance on the phone and I'm giving him the cliff notes version of timelines - reading out the flowchart off this site and I say - "Oh and they run a name check at some point, you know like the FBI and Homeland Security." So here's the thing, the SO has a common muslim name [first and family] and he drops this on me casually- "There are known terrorists with my name".

Now a hundred and one different scenarios are playing out in my head - including languishing in paperwork limbo for eons waiting for who knows what. I guess my question is when does this typically happen - pre or post interview? I've read about the dreaded AP - and the waits associated with it.

Of course, I'm prepared to just hunker down and wait all of this out but I'd love some insight on what I could be looking at?

Oh and lets say, by some miracle, it all goes smoothly and in a timely manner - I'd be willing to bet dollars to donuts his name appears on no-fly lists. How is that handled abroad? Are no-fly lists a TSA/US thing only?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

There are people who have been stuck in name-check hell for months and some for a year or more - it can happen at any stage but mostly at AOS. There are also AP at the interview (or pre-interview) stage and he could be stuck there also. Do a search on VJ and you will find posts. Not sure, if India has a no-fly list but since he would be flying to USA then he would probably be subjected to that. Good Luck

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

My understanding is as follows.

As soon as the packet is returned to the consulate it is checked for completeness and then electronically sent to DOS for the FBI name check. At the interview the fingerprints are taken and those are also sent. Where I become confused is that the consulate can request checks outside of the norm and will not tell you who they are with or what is going on other than it's still in AP.

DOS tells me my SO's checks were completed months ago but the consulate has requested additional processing (checks) and no one knows how long this will take.

As to the whole no fly list, I would hope that with the visa and knowing all the checks that were required to get it that at the most it might result in a delay while the info is verified. Maybe you would want to meet your SO at the POE just to help with any problems.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I 'm stuck in a stupid background check with no criminal history, with recent secret clearance which was done by the same FBI, and I dont know what to do, I work for department of defense, I have been in the Army but with all these stuffs they still went and stuck my name in the stupid FBI name check, the stem is messed up. I 'm so frustrated now. My I-129f petition is going to almost 1 year now. People with criminal history haave even got their visa approved but I cant even get NOA2.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Singapore
Timeline
I 'm stuck in a stupid background check with no criminal history, with recent secret clearance which was done by the same FBI, and I dont know what to do, I work for department of defense, I have been in the Army but with all these stuffs they still went and stuck my name in the stupid FBI name check, the stem is messed up. I 'm so frustrated now. My I-129f petition is going to almost 1 year now. People with criminal history haave even got their visa approved but I cant even get NOA2.

I think it's because of the high fraud/scam rates in/from Nigeria. :(

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iraq
Timeline

I am worried about the same thing with my guy... Good luck.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I-129:

11/27/07: NOA1

5/02/08: NOA2 (157 days from NOA1)

6/16/08: K1 Interview- ADMINISTRATIVE PROCESSING CO quoted us 2-4 weeks (45 days from NOA2 - 202 days from NOA1)

4/06/09: VISA IN HAND

6/20/09: POE LAX

7/4/09: Making it Legal - Wedding

10/17/09: The big wedding ceremony

AOS:

7/22/09: AOS Paperwork filed

10/27/09: Interview - APPROVED

10/31/09: Welcome Letter Received

Removing Conditions:

7/29/11: I-751 paperwork filed

2/14/12: Card Production Ordered!

2/18/12: Green Card Received

Citizenship:

12/26/12: Paperwork filed

12/31/12: NOA Date

1/14/13: Biometrics Appt

2/26/13: Interview

3/27/13: Oath Ceremony!!

6/30/13: Baby Due Date :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.