SteveLaura

Corporate Social Responsibility

Corporate Social Responsibility  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Do you basically agree with the quote?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know/Depends/Other

13 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline
The purpose of business is not to make a profit; it's to serve the economic needs of a society while being rewarded with a profit.

Gene Laczniak, Professor of Business Ethics, Marquette University, Milwaukee, WI

Full article here

"It's not the years; it's the mileage." Indiana Jones

Timeline
Are we talking should be or is?

From the article, I would surmise that this bloke says "is". But you can answer "should be" if you wish.

i agree too

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: Timeline

The purpose of business is not to make a profit; it's to serve the economic needs of a society while being rewarded with a profit.

How can a business make profit if it doesn't serve the economic needs of a society? If you don't meet demands, you don't make money.

I don't see the statement above as altruistic. I see it as a statement of fact. Demands exist, you provide supply, you make money.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Timeline

How can a business make profit if it doesn't serve the economic needs of a society? If you don't meet demands, you don't make money.

I don't see the statement above as altruistic. I see it as a statement of fact. Demands exist, you provide supply, you make money.

Interesting. I hadn't read it like that.

What do you think of this quote from the article?:

The notion that the corporation should apply its assets for social purposes, rather than for the profit of its owners, the shareholders, is irresponsible.

Betsy Atkins, CEO of Baja Ventures

The notion that the corporation should apply its assets for social purposes, rather than for the profit of its owners, the shareholders, is irresponsible.

It's perfectly consistent. Meeting the economic needs of a society is nothing more than meeting existing demand. Social purposes is entirely different, and not the goal of a business. If a business has a lot of money and wishes to generate goodwill in the public, then that's certainly a good way to direct those assets, however. WalMart could use some goodwill right about now :whistle:

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

It's perfectly consistent. Meeting the economic needs of a society is nothing more than meeting existing demand. Social purposes is entirely different, and not the goal of a business. If a business has a lot of money and wishes to generate goodwill in the public, then that's certainly a good way to direct those assets, however. WalMart could use some goodwill right about now :whistle:

Drug dealers?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

i voted yes with the view of they have a social responsibility environmental wise. see woburn, mass for an example.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Drug dealers?

What do you think Merck is? :innocent:

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I have to agree with Troll here.

If a business -- from Toys R Us to Pfizer -- fails to meet consumer demand, it won't make a profit or at least, a decent one. This will, in turn, upset the shareholders. So it's to the overall benefit of a corporation to supply society with what it wants and needs, since that will earn it money and placate the shareholders of the company.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
I have to agree with Troll here.

If a business -- from Toys R Us to Pfizer -- fails to meet consumer demand, it won't make a profit or at least, a decent one. This will, in turn, upset the shareholders. So it's to the overall benefit of a corporation to supply society with what it wants and needs, since that will earn it money and placate the shareholders of the company.

I think that's a faulty assumption and it reminds me of people who correlate popularity with quality. If a business in your town is selling you toilet paper and they are profitable, it only tells part of the relationship (providing the locals with TP), but what if upon further investigation, it is discovered that the company is polluting the local ground water? When that fact is brought to light, typically a company spokesman will state that his company is providing a great need for the people and therefore deserves legal leniency or immunity. This happens all the time - companies go on a PR campaign to talk about all the social benefits they provide (jobs, taxes, products and services) whenever someone tries to point out that they destroying the local environment or even local economy. You can't claim to provide a cure for cancer if the treatment causes cardiac arrest.

Edited by Jabberwocky