Jesse and Hema

Carry your green card?

33 posts in this topic

From INA 264:

(d) Every alien in the United States who has been registered and fingerprinted under the provisions of the Alien Registration Act, 1940, or under the provisions of this Act shall be issued a certificate of alien registration or an alien registration receipt card in such form and manner and at such time as shall be prescribed under regulations issued by the Attorney General.

(e) Every alien, eighteen years of age and over, shall at all times carry with him and have in his personal possession any certificate of alien registration or alien registration receipt card issued to him pursuant to subsection (d). Any alien who fails to comply with the provisions of this subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall upon conviction for each offense be fined not to exceed $100 or be imprisoned not more than thirty days, or both.

Ironically, while it's not a crime to be here without status, it IS a crime to be here with LPR status but without the original Green Card in your personal possession. The law makes no provision for copies to be used as a substitute.

Though I don't believe the letter of the law is often enforced.

Hmm, it brings to mind that N-400 question "Have you ever committed any crime for which you were not arrested?".

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Just wait, soon even citizens will be required to prove they are citizens by local authorities. Next everyone will complain enough that the solution may be biometrics scan or chip implants. State and local authorities and being trained in federal immigration law and they will soon learn that it is required to carry the original greencard and will start charging people who do not. Why would a ploice officer even ask someone if they are a citizen unless their english isn't good? Then Canadians would get away with never being questioned and people would cry profiling and then they would start asking everyone for proof. So many people are complaining about immigration that state and local authorities are doing more and more to find illegal immigrants here.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
Why would a ploice officer even ask someone if they are a citizen unless their english isn't good? Then Canadians would get away with never being questioned and people would cry profiling and then they would start asking everyone for proof. So many people are complaining about immigration that state and local authorities are doing more and more to find illegal immigrants here.

Perhaps the police might notice they speak very good English but not with an American accent. I have no problems with a police officer asking me my immigration status.

I also have no problems with the State and local authorities seeking out illegal immigrants. In fact the sooner all States pass a law requiring you to prove you are in the US legally before they issue a driving licence/State ID the better.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I only carry a copy with me. My 19 year old son never carries his with him. We have been here almost 3 years

I was stopped at a road block once by the cops here. I still had my Canadian Lisence. When he looked at my lisence he just told me to go get a state lisence and I was on my way.

PEGGY & ROGER

3dflagsdotcom_canad_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

K-1/K-2 VISA'S APPROVED IN MONTREAL MAY 2, 2005

K-1/K-2 AOS APPROVED IN ATLANTA MAY 17, 2006

10 year GC Approved - APRIL 16th ,2009 - Peggy and Jonathan's......

Still waiting for our cards...Had to file I-90 as they sent them to the wrong address.

March 9th, 2010, Received GC that has been lost in the mail for 10 months. Still waiting for my son's that is lost as well.

Filed Waiver for my son's 10 year GC and it was approved. He finally received his GC after its been missing for 2 years.

Thanking God this is over for 10 years.

Timeline
Why would a ploice officer even ask someone if they are a citizen unless their english isn't good? Then Canadians would get away with never being questioned and people would cry profiling and then they would start asking everyone for proof. So many people are complaining about immigration that state and local authorities are doing more and more to find illegal immigrants here.

Perhaps the police might notice they speak very good English but not with an American accent. I have no problems with a police officer asking me my immigration status.

I also have no problems with the State and local authorities seeking out illegal immigrants. In fact the sooner all States pass a law requiring you to prove you are in the US legally before they issue a driving licence/State ID the better.

What about illegal children that have no accent because all they have known is the US? What about children of parents who came here legally and have an accent from there parents, should police go into the schools and detain them until their parents can prove they are citizens?

All the states have to comply with drivers licenses or they will have federal funds taken away.

Why can they just enforce the work verification requirements and also not allow free medical benefits unless you are here legally? If you are arrested then require proof that you are here legally. This would enforce the law and not make everyone here legally and citizens have to deal with harrassment.

They need to go door to door across the US and get it over with once and for all or come up with a human solution.

Timeline

What about illegal children that have no accent because all they have known is the US? What about children of parents who came here legally and have an accent from there parents, should police go into the schools and detain them until their parents can prove they are citizens?

All the states have to comply with drivers licenses or they will have federal funds taken away.

Why can they just enforce the work verification requirements and also not allow free medical benefits unless you are here legally? If you are arrested then require proof that you are here legally. This would enforce the law and not make everyone here legally and citizens have to deal with harrassment.

They need to go door to door across the US and get it over with once and for all or come up with a human solution.

ere is an example of state laws hurting citizens

http://www.aarp.org/bulletin/medicare/citi...caid_rules.html

Timeline

I am really not sure what you are ranting on about or what point you are trying to make and I'll think I'll leave it that way.

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-28 NOA

Timeline

I am really not sure what you are ranting on about or what point you are trying to make and I'll think I'll leave it that way.

Only that you stated that you wanted laws passed to get rid of all the illegal aliens. It you look into the laws they want to pass they are also asking to limit the family based immigration which everyone on VJ used and give the numbers to highly skilled people.

Filed: IR-5 Country: Russia
Timeline
Ironically, while it's not a crime to be here without status, it IS a crime to be here with LPR status but without the original Green Card in your personal possession. The law makes no provision for copies to be used as a substitute.

The law is silent about the status of copies. Maybe a local police officer could certify a copy for you if you are concerned about its acceptance?

The irony is true. Being without status is not a crime, but it renders you deportable, but without immigration documents, how are the police/USCIS supposed to know you are a non-citizen? Seems they must depend on the testimony of others and your own oral statements and/or other documents like photocopies to prove it? (BTW - and in civil proceedings, you can be required to testify against yourself and burden of proof can be placed on you, while in criminal proceedings, you may only offer testimony against yourself voluntarily and the burden of proof is to the standard of "beyond a reasonable doubt" and this bruden is always on the government to prove).

Edited by Chris Parker

IR-5 Immediate relative parent of adult U.S. citizen, §201(b)

I-130 [100 Days] (+10 days transiting)

03/30/07 Naturalization oath

03/30/07 I-130 sent to VSC priority mail

04/09/07 NOA "Received Date"

05/08/07 NOA1 issued by CSC, rcvd 05/11/07

07/18/07 I-130 approved!

07/23/07 NOA2 received

NVC [73 Days] (+23 days transiting) ** using James' NVC Shortcuts 2.0 **

08/10/07 NVC received, case number MOS*** assigned

08/20/07 DS-3032 & I-864 fee bill generated

08/23/07 DS-3032 delivered to NVC

08/23/07 I-864 payt delivered to St. Louis

08/27/07 IV fee bill generated

08/28/07 I-864 payt processed

09/03/07 I-864 package generated

09/08/07 IV fee bill received & payt sent

09/11/07 IV payt delivered to St. Louis

09/13/07 I-864 entered onto case

09/17/07 IV payt processed

09/24/07 DS-230 generated

09/25/07 I-864 RFE issued

10/01/07 I-864 RFE & DS-230 delivered to NVC

10/04/07 I-864 RFE & DS-230 entered onto case

10/22/07 Case complete at NVC!

12/10/07 NVC schedules the interview, finally!

12/17/07 Case left NVC

Embassy (Moscow)

12/20/07 Medical exam

01/10/08 Interview APPROVED!

01/15/08 Visa rcvd!

01/26/08 Entered USA

02/04/08 SSN card rcvd (from DS-230 appl./EAE)

02/16,21,25/08 OS155A msg. from TSC

02/28/08 PR card rcvd!

Timeline
Only that you stated that you wanted laws passed to get rid of all the illegal aliens. It you look into the laws they want to pass they are also asking to limit the family based immigration which everyone on VJ used and give the numbers to highly skilled people.

Well how you twisted my words around to mean that I'll never know.

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-28 NOA

Filed: IR-5 Country: Russia
Timeline
From INA 264:

(d) Every alien in the United States who has been registered and fingerprinted under the provisions of the Alien Registration Act, 1940, or under the provisions of this Act shall be issued a certificate of alien registration or an alien registration receipt card in such form and manner and at such time as shall be prescribed under regulations issued by the Attorney General.

(e) Every alien, eighteen years of age and over, shall at all times carry with him and have in his personal possession any certificate of alien registration or alien registration receipt card issued to him pursuant to subsection (d). Any alien who fails to comply with the provisions of this subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall upon conviction for each offense be fined not to exceed $100 or be imprisoned not more than thirty days, or both.

Ironically, while it's not a crime to be here without status, it IS a crime to be here with LPR status but without the original Green Card in your personal possession.

The law is not just for LPR's, it is for all non-citizens! (and it is probably more important for nonimmigrants to carry original proof of status at all times than permanent residents) Nonimmigrants are initially issued Form I-94 as proof of their alien registration. EAD's can also be used as evidence of alien registration. The full list of documents for all permanent and non-permanent residents that are proof of alien registration under the act is covered in 8 CFR 264.1( b ).

Edited by Chris Parker

IR-5 Immediate relative parent of adult U.S. citizen, §201(b)

I-130 [100 Days] (+10 days transiting)

03/30/07 Naturalization oath

03/30/07 I-130 sent to VSC priority mail

04/09/07 NOA "Received Date"

05/08/07 NOA1 issued by CSC, rcvd 05/11/07

07/18/07 I-130 approved!

07/23/07 NOA2 received

NVC [73 Days] (+23 days transiting) ** using James' NVC Shortcuts 2.0 **

08/10/07 NVC received, case number MOS*** assigned

08/20/07 DS-3032 & I-864 fee bill generated

08/23/07 DS-3032 delivered to NVC

08/23/07 I-864 payt delivered to St. Louis

08/27/07 IV fee bill generated

08/28/07 I-864 payt processed

09/03/07 I-864 package generated

09/08/07 IV fee bill received & payt sent

09/11/07 IV payt delivered to St. Louis

09/13/07 I-864 entered onto case

09/17/07 IV payt processed

09/24/07 DS-230 generated

09/25/07 I-864 RFE issued

10/01/07 I-864 RFE & DS-230 delivered to NVC

10/04/07 I-864 RFE & DS-230 entered onto case

10/22/07 Case complete at NVC!

12/10/07 NVC schedules the interview, finally!

12/17/07 Case left NVC

Embassy (Moscow)

12/20/07 Medical exam

01/10/08 Interview APPROVED!

01/15/08 Visa rcvd!

01/26/08 Entered USA

02/04/08 SSN card rcvd (from DS-230 appl./EAE)

02/16,21,25/08 OS155A msg. from TSC

02/28/08 PR card rcvd!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

Oh please. US citizens who don't look or speak like a foreigner are never going to be asked for their status when they step out the door; so many of these illegal immigrant initiatives are gravely founded in racism. How else will we explain the Puerto Rican who was denied a driver's license in TN because "Puerto Rico isn't part of the US" or the Nicaraguan who was legal and had her green card, passport, and driver's license confiscated because "those documents are fakes" and had to get a lawyer involved and only got ONE of the documents back (I think she only got the passport back).

Like I said, the day that it becomes like Nazi Germany with stars on our chests to identify those who are citizens and those who are not, I will go to my husband's country. I know this isn't popular opinion, but oh well. There are people from certain parts of the world that a large portion of society/government doesn't want here, legal or otherwise. And I'm personally not going to feed into this, considering how hard it is for a legal immigrant already.

Edited by athena_ny

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

My husband carries his GC with him, and he's stubborn so although I told him he'd be better off leaving it home - the decision is his.

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

Filed: Other Timeline
Here in Oregon the police are not allowed to check your immigration status if they stop you so they can't ask for it anyway. So I doubt there is much point in carrying it but I always do.

However in some states, and some counties or cities within states, have authorized their local police to confirm immigrant status of anyone they stop if they feel the need to check.

I am Canadian, and I live in the South. As soon as I open mymouth and say one word, they know I'm not from here. While I've never been asked by a police officer to show my green card yet, there are cities around me that are authorized to do so, so I believe it is only a matter of time.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Timeline

It is only a matter of time before local authorities start hassling citizens and legal immigrants more and more because of racism. Our children that have one parent that is a legal immigrant are at risk of having to prove their citizenship only because they look hispanic or asian or whatever. One of the best things about the US is that we don't have checkpoints all over that you have to stop and show ID. Those days may be over soon if states start passing thier own immigration laws. They may start setting up checkpoints that require proof of legal status or citizenship. We are getting closer and closer to seeing laws like this start to be introduced by states if things continue the way they are going.

I am all for securing our borders and verifying employment but why do we have to enable witch huts by passing laws in states that allow people to do these types of things. It will have to get worse before anything will be done to make it better.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.