ShadowYU

Cable TV, Satelitte TV - Help

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Yugoslavia
Timeline

Since I am guessing that any thread is welcome in this forum, I would like to start this one and ask for help...

I currently am a Comcast customer. I was thinking of switching to Dish Network because they have more channels for less money. Besides, they have more international stuff. However, all reviews I have looked at for Dish are basically negative. But, the same is true for comments about Comcast (which I really don't think is that bad).

Please, if you have Dish or Directv, could you tell me if they are any good? Most importantly, how is the picture quality? And, does system crashes offten? If you had comcast and Dish, could you compare them?

Kind of random thread, I know... Thanks, in advance...

Timeline:

2/19/2008 - Filed I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131

2/20/2008 - Package received in Chicago

2/26/2008 - Checks Cashed

3/01/2008 - Received all 4 NOA's

3/04/2008 - Received Biometrics appointment for 3/18/2008 at 9 a.m.

3/18/2008 - Completed biometrics appointment in Seattle, WA

4/30/2008 - EAD approved

5/01/2008 - AP approved

5/09/2008 - EAD arrives in mail

5/10/2008 - AP arrives in mail

9/18/2008 - Interview Letter arrives in mail dated 10/17

10/17/2008 - Interview in Seattle, approved, now waiting for GC

11/12/2008 - Email received that Card Production was Ordered on 11/10

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

From my experience digital cable has always been more reliable when dealing with weather issues. And the OnDemand feature is very nice for watching programs on my time. I also think cable programming is better.

22 Jun 05 - We met in a tiny bar in Williamsburg, Va. (spent all summer together)

27 May 06 - Sasha comes back for a 2nd glorious summer (spent 8 months apart)

01 Jan 07 - Jason travels to Moscow for 2 weeks with Sasha

27 May 07 - Jason again travels to Moscow for 2 weeks of perfection

14 July 07 - I-129F and all related documents sent to VSC

16 July 07 - I-129F delivered to VSC and signed for by P. Novak

20 July 07 - NOA1 issued / receipt number assigned

27 Sep 07 - Jason travels to Moscow to be with Sasha for 2 weeks

28 Nov 07 - NOA2 issued...TOUCHED!...then...APPROVED!!!

01 Dec 07 - NVC receives/assigns case #

04 Dec 07 - NVC sends case to U.S. Embassy Moscow

26 Dec 07 - Jason visits Sasha in Russia for the 4th and final time of 2007 :)

22 Feb 08 - Moscow Interview! (APPROVED!!!)..Yay!

24 Mar 08 - Sasha and Jason reunite in the U.S. :)

31 May 08 - Married

29 Dec 08- Alexander is born

11 Jan 10 - AOS / AP / EAD package sent

19 Jan 10 - AOS NOA1 / AP NOA1 / EAD NOA1

08 Feb 10 - AOS case transferred to CSC

16 Mar 10 - AP received

16 Mar 10 - AOS approved

19 Mar 10 - EAD received

22 Mar 10 - GC received

Filed: Country: Singapore
Timeline

We were with Directv from end 2005 to middle of last year. Then AT&T had an attractively bundled package for cable TV (tied to Dish) + land line + Internet. It felt too good to pass up so we left Directv and signed on with AT&T.

It was one nightmare after another for 5 months. The AT&T Homezone wouldn't work correctly sometimes in our room, Launchast puked almost every time we tried to turn it on in our living room, and Dish's customer support was the pits. We also had to have the cable box replaced FOUR times because it fried each time.

After enduring this for close to 5 months, I gave my hubby an ultimatum - either he called to cancel the cable TV portion or I was gonna do it and I wouldn't be polite about it on the phone with them. We ran the risk of incurring early contract termination fees (the contract was for 18 months). Hubby told AT&T that his wife was prepared to fork out the cancellation fees if they wanted to lose our land line + Internet subscriptions too. To AT&T's credit, they canceled our Dish Network subscription on the spot, and paid Dish the $177.00 early termination fee.

Hubby called Directv the very next day and apologized so profusely it made me laugh. We've never had a single problem with them, and we're so happy we are back in their fold. :lol:

Since I am guessing that any thread is welcome in this forum, I would like to start this one and ask for help...

I currently am a Comcast customer. I was thinking of switching to Dish Network because they have more channels for less money. Besides, they have more international stuff. However, all reviews I have looked at for Dish are basically negative. But, the same is true for comments about Comcast (which I really don't think is that bad).

Please, if you have Dish or Directv, could you tell me if they are any good? Most importantly, how is the picture quality? And, does system crashes offten? If you had comcast and Dish, could you compare them?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

From my viewing experience, I agree here with Jason. :thumbs:

From my experience digital cable has always been more reliable when dealing with weather issues. And the OnDemand feature is very nice for watching programs on my time. I also think cable programming is better.

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

We compared the program packages from Comcast and DirecTV and decided DirecTV had the better ones.

We have had DirecTV since November 2006, never once lost a picture due to rain or any other reason, and it rains at lot in Oregon. Picture quality is superb, 90+ HD channels.

We have high speed Internet from Comcast and I only wish is was as reliable as the service we get from DirecTV. The outages are short but frequent.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

we cant actually get comcast/cable coz we're out of the city limit but we used to have direct tv hd and 2 months ago we asked for a dvr and they wanted $400 from it so we thought since the customer service is pretty bad anyways, might as well try dish and they have packages and promos for the first timers including the dvr... so we paid $200 cancelation fee to direct tv lol and change to dish... to be honest they're just both the same (in terms of customer service once you're in a contract already lol) i do noticed though that direct tv has got more HD than dish. but heck the dvr is cool lol... good luck!

Citizenship N-400

4/15/2010- sent my N-400 via fedex overnight

4/16/2010- signed and delivered

4/29/2010- check cleared

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

I agree. Satellite technology is always affected by the weather. The broadcast sometimes may not be received by your receiver if the weather is bad. Which means that if you're in the middle of an intense plot in your movie, you may miss out on it. I recommend wires. I experienced satellite when the weather was bad. I don't like it.

mooninitessomeonesetusupp6.jpg

We have DirecTV they rock much better than Dish Network never had a problem with DirecTV even during the most sever weather back in January and February never lost a signal which surprised me and the winds were very strong hitting the house didnt affect the signal.

Citizenship

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

CIS Office : San Francisco CA

Date Filed : 2008-06-11

NOA Date : 2008-06-18

Bio. Appt. : 2008-07-08

Citizenship Interview

USCIS San Francisco Field Office

Wednesday, September 10,2008

Time 2:35PM

I'm a gamer so it's:

cable for internet

and

direct TV w/ DVR for TV

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

You might check out what is called "Free-To-Air" satellite systems.

You can recieve channels from almost any country. And you dont pay a subscription....

Filed Removal of Conditions: 11/05/10

Rec'd NOA1: 11/08/10

Biometrics: 12/22/10

10 YR Greencard: 03/03/11 APPROVED

10 YR Greencard Rec'd: 03/08/11 RECEIVED

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline
You might check out what is called "Free-To-Air" satellite systems.

You can recieve channels from almost any country. And you dont pay a subscription....

We have one of these on order. We aren't huge TV watchers anyway, but hubby will be able to watch some TV from back home, and there's enough variety to keep me happy. We'll see how it goes once it's hooked up.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
We have one of these on order. We aren't huge TV watchers anyway, but hubby will be able to watch some TV from back home, and there's enough variety to keep me happy. We'll see how it goes once it's hooked up.

What sytem did you order?

I am looking at a Sonicview HD8000 System

Filed Removal of Conditions: 11/05/10

Rec'd NOA1: 11/08/10

Biometrics: 12/22/10

10 YR Greencard: 03/03/11 APPROVED

10 YR Greencard Rec'd: 03/08/11 RECEIVED

DirectTV is probably the best provider. Dish network provides better value. You may even have Verizon Fios available.. Unlike crapcast, both satellite systems broadcast completely in digital.

Don't get me started with Comcast. They are the crappiest company I have ever dealt with. Their digital TV service is also #######. In a lot of areas the first 99 channels are not even digital but simply analogue rebroadcast though their digital box. It took these fools 2 months and over 33 calls to get my "digital voice" service running. The only reason I use these clowns is because they are the only broadband internet service available. I am counting down for the day Verizon lays their optical fiber FIOS service in our area.

Edited by Boo-Yah!

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

I have had both Cable (Insight which is now Comcast here) and Dish Network. I didn't like cable at all. Too high priced with fewer channels that Dish. When I went HD and I saw that Dish had 3 times the HD channels I switched. I now have Comcast for my internet and Dish for my TV. A properly installed dish only quits in the most severe weather and then only at the peak of the storm. In reality the cable was out more than the dish. I don't care about on demand so that stuff isn't missed with Dish. I would go with Dish and just have Comcast for your internet. Cable internet rocks.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Wales
Timeline

On the off chance that any Brits reading this have used Sky and then subsequently US services, are there any that compare?

Stu

K1:

(See timeline)

AOS:

(See timeline)

ROC:

11-8-10 - ROC file sent

11-10-10 - CSC received file

11-10-10 - NOA1 date

11-15-10 - Check cashed

12-11-10 - Received biometrics letter

12-22-10 - Biometrics appointment (have to reschedule)

1-12-11 - Biometrics appointment (rescheduled appointment)

3-3-11 - Approved!