athena_ny

immigrant being abused by a permanent resident - any recourse?

31 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Peru
Timeline

Here I am, I just finished reading all the posts, I want to be honest, I was in an abusive relationship for about two years and as your SIL I took every one of my ex comments as jokes. This a$$hole told me that If I ever leave him he was going to kill me, and to me that was a sign of love (how stupid I was). When he found out that I married Silvio he told me that he was going to forgive me for "all the pain I was causing him," can you believe that??????, he was obviously a mental case.

All my friends hated my ex, and at that time I didn't understood why, he kept me away from family and friends.

I'm so happy with y hubby now, we have ups and downs like every couple but I feel blessed to have him in my life, he's the best thing that eve happen to me,

I hope that your SIL opens her eyes, obviously this guys is bull......ing her.

Take care people

Vi

pd:athena_ny: I'm really happy for you girl, I'm sure you will have a great time in Peru, tell your hubby to take you to Asia, there are awesome clubs in that area, hubby and me love it and don't forget to try all the delicious food.

sofsmile-1.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
Here I am, I just finished reading all the posts, I want to be honest, I was in an abusive relationship for about two years and as your SIL I took every one of my ex comments as jokes. This a$$hole told me that If I ever leave him he was going to kill me, and to me that was a sign of love (how stupid I was). When he found out that I married Silvio he told me that he was going to forgive me for "all the pain I was causing him," can you believe that??????, he was obviously a mental case.

All my friends hated my ex, and at that time I didn't understood why, he kept me away from family and friends.

I'm so happy with y hubby now, we have ups and downs like every couple but I feel blessed to have him in my life, he's the best thing that eve happen to me,

Take care people

Vi

pd:athena_ny: I'm really happy for you girl, I'm sure you will have a great time in Peru, tell your hubby to take you to Asia, there are awesome clubs in that area, hubby and me love it and don't forget to try all the delicious food.

She already has stopped seeing her friends except for special occasions (like her birthday - she had a bunch of people over, but he couldn't be bothered to show up?), and spends all her time with him. Only friend she does see happens to be his sister. I am worried, but you can't stop someone from seeing what they don't want to see. All her friends told her not to date him. His sister would tell her not to date him, until they broke up and then she'd be trying to get them back together.

I don't think it'll be a good situation, but all I can do is prepare myself. Blah.

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Filed: Other Timeline

Take care people

Vi

She already has stopped seeing her friends except for special occasions (like her birthday - she had a bunch of people over, but he couldn't be bothered to show up?), and spends all her time with him. Only friend she does see happens to be his sister. I am worried, but you can't stop someone from seeing what they don't want to see. All her friends told her not to date him. His sister would tell her not to date him, until they broke up and then she'd be trying to get them back together.

I don't think it'll be a good situation, but all I can do is prepare myself. Blah.

I think the question here is if she goes with good faith into this marriage. If he is already mentally abusive then how can she prove that she went with good faith into this marriage. She cannot be forced to marry him.

Plus, if he shows a bad character he can be removed from the United States.

I am not sure why your sister in law wants to marry someone who is abusive in the first place...

Markus - Las Vegas, NV

32821198.gif

I am not sure why your sister in law wants to marry someone who is abusive in the first place...

I truely believe that the poor girl doesnt see any abuse in sight, and everything that people warn her about, she has a million excuses of why it wont happen. Abusers hypnotize their victims :wacko: Also add in the fact that she is quite young, and is blinded by all the love & promises this guy is feeding her. She wont listen no matter how hard anyone tries to convince her. Unfortunately, she'll have to figure this out on her own :(

I remember reading some online article about abusers and that preventing from seeing family is a way that they try to show you that they love you, want all their time with you, but really create a divide between the victim & their family, so the victim will no longer bond & be able to share whatever abuse may be occurring. Of course it also stated about the over-jealousness, and most ladies think "well he loves me so much, that's why he's jealous".

The more isolated a victim is, the more reluctant to report problems/abuse, so Athena, just check on her once in a while to make sure she's ok :)

12140.gif

Filed: Other Country: Peru
Timeline

I truely believe that the poor girl doesnt see any abuse in sight, and everything that people warn her about, she has a million excuses of why it wont happen. Abusers hypnotize their victims :wacko: Also add in the fact that she is quite young, and is blinded by all the love & promises this guy is feeding her. She wont listen no matter how hard anyone tries to convince her. Unfortunately, she'll have to figure this out on her own :(

Tha's exactly what happened to me. He did hypnotized me.

sofsmile-1.jpg

Timeline

Take care people

Vi

I think the question here is if she goes with good faith into this marriage. If he is already mentally abusive then how can she prove that she went with good faith into this marriage. She cannot be forced to marry him.

Plus, if he shows a bad character he can be removed from the United States.

Obviously she doesn't think he is.

She is going into it with good faith, because she doesn't get that his behavior is unacceptable. And she can't be forced to marry him, and as much as I am pissed at her right now for things related to this marriage but not completely to his possible abuse, I do not wish abuse on her.

I remember reading some online article about abusers and that preventing from seeing family is a way that they try to show you that they love you, want all their time with you, but really create a divide between the victim & their family, so the victim will no longer bond & be able to share whatever abuse may be occurring. Of course it also stated about the over-jealousness, and most ladies think "well he loves me so much, that's why he's jealous".

The more isolated a victim is, the more reluctant to report problems/abuse, so Athena, just check on her once in a while to make sure she's ok :)

And yeah, the stuff you describe explains this guy to a T.

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Popcorn time! :pop:

My SIL is here on a student visa, and is marrying a permanent resident (next week, apparently, I found all this out today) who has threatened to break her legs, put her in the hospital, and is all around just..mentally/verbally abusive but she is convinced he's the best thing since sliced bread.

Now, of course I am hoping he never gets physical, but I need to know: does VAWA apply when the immigrant is married to a legal immigrant? Is there any recourse? I personally don't care if she stays in the US or not as she just totally screwed my husband over, but I'd like to be aware if #### hits the fan.

Thank you.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Once more I am going to warn you to keep comments like this OUT of this forum. You want to play "popcorn time" then you do it in OT. This is the only warning I am giving in this thread, all following comments in this vein will be invisibilised.

Thank you.

My SIL is here on a student visa, and is marrying a permanent resident (next week, apparently, I found all this out today) who has threatened to break her legs, put her in the hospital, and is all around just..mentally/verbally abusive but she is convinced he's the best thing since sliced bread.

Now, of course I am hoping he never gets physical, but I need to know: does VAWA apply when the immigrant is married to a legal immigrant? Is there any recourse? I personally don't care if she stays in the US or not as she just totally screwed my husband over, but I'd like to be aware if #### hits the fan.

Thank you.

Filed: Country: Netherlands
Timeline
Once more I am going to warn you to keep comments like this OUT of this forum. You want to play "popcorn time" then you do it in OT. This is the only warning I am giving in this thread, all following comments in this vein will be invisibilised.

Thank you.

Thank you.

So-Popcorn is allowed in OT? IMO O/T is heavily moderated too-and really shouldn't be...But then again, no one has to explain anything to me or other members, seemingly.

Liefde is een bloem zo teer dat hij knakt bij de minste aanraking en zo sterk dat niets zijn groei in de weg staat

event.png

IK HOU VAN JOU, MARK

.png

Take a large, almost round, rotating sphere about 8000 miles in diameter, surround it with a murky, viscous atmosphere of gases mixed with water vapor, tilt its axis so it wobbles back and forth with respect to a source of heat and light, freeze it at both ends and roast it in the middle, cover most of its surface with liquid that constantly feeds vapor into the atmosphere as the sphere tosses billions of gallons up and down to the rhythmic pulling of a captive satellite and the sun. Then try to predict the conditions of that atmosphere over a small area within a 5 mile radius for a period of one to five days in advance!

---

Timeline

Thank you Mags.

The inconsideration for others and the lack of respect for valid information (and not just personal opinions or what we think SHOULD be legal) is what drove me to mostly leave this site in the first place. I only came back because this is the only place I knew of to get information on this topic, and I do not think the fact my SIL is marrying a man we believe to be her abuser is FUNNY or putting up the "popcorn time!" response in response to something very serious is funny.

As much as my SIL is screwing my husband and I over by rushing a marriage she shouldn't be getting into (there's a lot of family dynamics this is now affecting, not to mention finances), I have been distraught at imagining the mess she may be getting herself into, and how blind she is to it. Anyone who thinks that is a joke must have very poor character is all I can say.

I greatly appreciate and thank all of you who have offered constructive advice such as Vi, Diaddie, and Nanusia so I can prepare for if the time comes, which I pray does not.

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

She can self-petition just like the spouse of an abusive USC could.

As to the rest of it, there's so much written on the abuse cycle, but usually the guy alternates between being abusive and being very kind, and the victim convinces herself that he's only so angry/violent/cruel because of something she did. So she convinces herself that if she, e.g., doesn't wear that shirt that made him jealous, it won't happen again. Maybe if she's committed enough she can save him! It'll be so romantic. Maybe it really was her fault. Doesn't everyone get mad? It's a hard cycle to get out of.

You won't be able to talk her out of it; it's like getting someone to quit smoking or get help for depression. It's something they have to decide to do. What you can do is ensure that she always has you and your husband to talk to; that she knows that if she leaves, you two will help her. So when she does decide to leave, she knows that she isn't alone.

And if she confides in you, make a note of the date and time so if she has to establish an abusive history in court, you're a reliable witness.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: Timeline

Excellent post, Caladan. Thank you. :thumbs:

Athena, I apologize for the tasteless posts. I hope you don't leave the site again. There are a lot more nice people on here than there are mean people. (Even though it may not seem that way sometimes.) I, for one, would miss you if you go. (F)

Edited by Crikey!
iagree.gif

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

You're most welcome, Athena. This is an excruciatingly tender and sensitive subject (as are the majority of posts in this section of the forum) it isn't here for peoples' amusement nor "entertainment" - which is what I mean by "popcorn smilies not allowed". The last thing you need to be is mocked or have the p!ss taken out of you.

I really hope this situation improves, keep us posted, Athena. (F)

Thank you Mags.

The inconsideration for others and the lack of respect for valid information (and not just personal opinions or what we think SHOULD be legal) is what drove me to mostly leave this site in the first place. I only came back because this is the only place I knew of to get information on this topic, and I do not think the fact my SIL is marrying a man we believe to be her abuser is FUNNY or putting up the "popcorn time!" response in response to something very serious is funny.

As much as my SIL is screwing my husband and I over by rushing a marriage she shouldn't be getting into (there's a lot of family dynamics this is now affecting, not to mention finances), I have been distraught at imagining the mess she may be getting herself into, and how blind she is to it. Anyone who thinks that is a joke must have very poor character is all I can say.

I greatly appreciate and thank all of you who have offered constructive advice such as Vi, Diaddie, and Nanusia so I can prepare for if the time comes, which I pray does not.

Timeline
Excellent post, Caladan. Thank you. :thumbs:

Athena, I apologize for the tasteless posts. I hope you don't leave the site again. There are a lot more nice people on here than there are mean people. (Even though it may not seem that way sometimes.) I, for one, would miss you if you go. (F)

Haha, I didn't post that expecting people to ask me to stay :P but thank you. I've been around just not as active in the past. The only reason I stayed after M's approval was to help people :yes: and I hope to be able to continue to do so. Some people are turning VJ into their personal soapbox which I find tasteless but I think you're mostly right :thumbs: Though the tastelessness in this forum especially shocks me.

Edited by athena_ny

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.