w¡n9Nµ7 §£@¥€r

UK Minister warns of inbreeding in British Pakistanis

123 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

If I recall correctly, non related couples have a 2-3% risk of birth defects, as opposed to first cousins having a 4-6% risk. As Gary said before, if there is a genetic syndrome or abnormality in the family then the risks increase, obviously. Pre-natal counselling should be offered in all pregnancies should this be the case.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
If I recall correctly, non related couples have a 2-3% risk of birth defects, as opposed to first cousins having a 4-6% risk. As Gary said before, if there is a genetic syndrome or abnormality in the family then the risks increase, obviously. Pre-natal counselling should be offered in all pregnancies should this be the case.

That's right, first cousins should have genetic counseling if they are considering having children. Usually it's not a problem, but you need to know something about the genes in your family.

The basic problem is that if you have a "bad" gene in your family, you have less of a chance of "watering" it down if first cousins have children. That's the reason for the small increased risk in overall birth defects in first cousins. Of course, the same rule applies if you have a "good" gene in your family, it can get "watered down" if you mate with someone who doesn't have that gene.

I have two great-grandparents on my father's side who were first cousins. No birth defects in my family. Of course my kid has greenish brown eyes, but I'll blame that on my wife's gene pool! :lol:

Filed: Timeline
If I recall correctly, non related couples have a 2-3% risk of birth defects, as opposed to first cousins having a 4-6% risk.

The basic problem is that if you have a "bad" gene in your family, you have less of a chance of "watering" it down if first cousins have children. That's the reason for the small increased risk in overall birth defects in first cousins.

An increase from a probability of 2-3% to a probability of 4-6% means birth defects are twice as likely in first-cousin marriages.

I wouldn't characterize that as a "small increase" in risk. It's a doubling of risk.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Panama
Timeline
I told Neil about this and he said that the parents of a friend of his from primary school were closely related (he didn't remember exactly how) but they had 8 kids and almost every single one of them had a some sort of birth defect. The one his age was born with 6 fingers on each hand. A few of the others had learning disabilities (mainly ADD) and one had down syndrome.

forgot to add that this family is pakistani

I grew up with a family who were all married to first cousins.All those kids had ADD.They were from a country in Europe,they were not Pakistani.What trips me out is that now,even the kids are with their own cousins.

May 7,2007-USCIS received I-129f
July 24,2007-NOA1 was received
April 21,2008-K-1 visa denied.
June 3,2008-waiver filed at US Consalate in Panama
The interview went well,they told him it will take another 6 months for them to adjudicate the waiver
March 3,2009-US Consulate claims they have no record of our December visit,nor Manuel's interview
March 27,2009-Manuel returned to the consulate for another interrogation(because they forgot about December's interview),and they were really rude !
April 3,2009-US Counsalate asks for more court documents that no longer exist !
June 1,2009-Manuel and I go back to the US consalate AGAIN to give them a letter from the court in Colon along with documents I already gave them last year.I was surprised to see they had two thick files for his case !

June 15,2010-They called Manuel in to take his fingerprints again,still no decision on his case!
June 22,2010-WAIVER APPROVED at 5:00pm
July 19,2010-VISA IN MANUELITO'S HAND at 3:15pm!
July 25,2010-Manuelito arrives at 9:35pm at Logan Intn'l Airport,Boston,MA
August 5,2010-FINALLY MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!
August 23,2010-Filed for AOS at the International Institute of RI $1400!
December 23,2010-Work authorization received.
January 12,2011-RFE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
when we got married they asked us if we were related :lol:

eta: while getting the marriage certificate the girl said "y'all ain't related are ya?" :lol:

was that in arkansas? :lol:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

If I recall correctly, non related couples have a 2-3% risk of birth defects, as opposed to first cousins having a 4-6% risk.

The basic problem is that if you have a "bad" gene in your family, you have less of a chance of "watering" it down if first cousins have children. That's the reason for the small increased risk in overall birth defects in first cousins.

An increase from a probability of 2-3% to a probability of 4-6% means birth defects are twice as likely in first-cousin marriages.

I wouldn't characterize that as a "small increase" in risk. It's a doubling of risk.

However, it is small percentage, 2-3% vs 4-6%. I don't think it is a big problem. Of course, My wife and I are not cousins nor we were related before marriage. I know lot of people with this kind of marriage who never had any birth defects.

Edited by simple_male

I-130 Timeline with USCIS:

It took 92 days for I-130 to get approved from the filing date

NVC Process of I-130:

It took 78 days to complete the NVC process

Interview Process at The U.S. Embassy

Interview took 223 days from the I-130 filing date. Immigrant Visa was issued right after the interview

Timeline

Fact: 26 states allow first cousin marriages; Most people can marry their cousin in the US.

Fact: US prohibitions against cousin marriages predate modern genetics. Hmmm.

Fact: In the first quarter of 2000, two delegates in Maryland introduced a bill that would prohibit first cousin marriage. This bill passed in the House of Delegates (82 to 46), however did not make it past the Senate Committee. Please remember Delegates Heller and Barve in the next election. The sponsors of the bill claim that a large ratio of out-of-state couples come to Maryland to get married – perhaps cousin couples. Their bill would have stifled revenues from marriage licenses while imposing ridiculous marriage restrictions.

Fact: No European country prohibits marriage between first cousins. It is also legal throughout Canada and Mexico to marry your cousin. The USA is the only western country with cousin marriage restrictions.

Fact: Children of non-related couples have a 2-3% risk of birth defects, as opposed to first cousins having a 4-6% risk. Genetic counseling is available for those couples that may be at a special risk for birth defects (e.g. You have a defect that runs in your family) In plain terms first cousins have at a 94 percent + chance of having healthy children. Check the links section for more information on genetic counselors. The National Society of Genetic Counselors estimated the increased risk for first cousins is between 1.7 to 2.8 percent, or about the same a any woman over 40 years of age.

Fact: Second cousins have little, if any increased chance of having children with birth defects, per the book "Clinical Genetics Handbook”– courtesy of the March of Dimes.

Fact: The frequency of cousin marriages in the USA is about 1 in 1,000

Fact: The frequency of cousin marriages in Japan is about 4 in 1,000

Fact: It is estimated that 20 percent of all couples worldwide are first cousins. It is also estimated that 80 percent of all marriages historically have been between first cousins!

Fact: In some cultures, the term cousin and mate are synonymous.

Fact: The range of consanguinity in Saudi Arabia is between 34 to 80+ percent. A study has been done on birth defects resulting from consanguineous marriages in this country. Read about it.

Fact: Albert Einstein married his first cousin. And so did Charles Darwin, who had exceptional children.

Fact: Franklin D. Roosevelt, the longest serving US president in history married his cousin (not a first cousin, however they shared the same last name).

Fact: The first Prime Minister of Canada, Sir John A. MacDonald married his first cousin.

Fact: Leviticus 18 lists all forbidden sexual relationships. Cousin relationships are not included.

Fact: God commanded many cousins to marry, including Zelophehad's 5 daughters, Eleazar's daughters, Jacob (who married both Rachel and Leah, first cousins), and Isaac and Rebekkah (first cousins once removed). All were ancestors of Jesus Christ.

Fact: Current studies indicate that cousin couples have a lower ratio of miscarriages -- perhaps because body chemistry of cousins is more similar. The verdict is still out.

source

Edited by garya505

Timeline

At most 6 in a hundred, compared to 3 in a hundred in non consanguineous marriages. If you marry your cousin and are worried, request an invasive procedure during your pregnancy - amniocentesis or a chorionic villus sampling. It'll ease many worries.

Timeline

You also increase you chances of birth defects with increasing age, and by marrying within your own race. So, you should marry someone of another race and have your kids when the mother is young. That's why I married an Asian woman 25 years younger than me! :lol:

Timeline
You also increase you chances of birth defects with increasing age, and by marrying within your own race. So, you should marry someone of another race and have your kids when the mother is young. That's why I married an Asian woman 25 years younger than me! :lol:

Actually, it is mainly Down Syndrome that increases with age (aged eggs) the majority of other birth defects can happen at any age. :)

Interestingly enough, the other Trisomies (specifically Trisomy 13 and Trisomy 18) seem to occur in younger women rather than the over 36 age occurance for Down Syndrome (Trisomy 21). These are much "nastier" syndromes to have too and tend to be incompatible with life.

Edited by Mags

Timeline

Actually, it is mainly Down Syndrome that increases with age (aged eggs) the majority of other birth defects can happen at any age. :)

Interestingly enough, the other Trisomies (specifically Trisomy 13 and Trisomy 18) seem to occur in younger women rather than the over 36 age occurance for Down Syndrome (Trisomy 21). These are much "nastier" syndromes to have too and tend to be incompatible with life.

incompatible with life => miscarriage ?