w¡n9Nµ7 §£@¥€r

UK Minister warns of inbreeding in British Pakistanis

123 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

A government minister has warned that inbreeding among immigrants is causing a surge in birth defects - comments likely to spark a new row over the place of Muslims in British society.

Phil Woolas, an environment minister, said the culture of arranged marriages between first cousins was the "elephant in the room".

Woolas emphasised the practice did not extend to all Muslim communities but was confined mainly to families originating from rural Pakistan. However, up to half of all marriages within these communities are estimated to involve first cousins.

Medical research suggests that while British Pakistanis are responsible for 3% of all births, they account for one in three British children born with genetic illnesses.

"If you talk to any primary care worker they will tell you that levels of disability among the . . . Pakistani population are higher than the general population. And everybody knows it’s caused by first cousin marriage.

"That’s a cultural thing rather than a religious thing. It is not illegal in this country.

"The problem is that many of the parents themselves and many of the public spokespeople are themselves products of first cousin marriages. It’s very difficult for people to say ‘you can’t do that’ because it’s a very sensitive, human thing."

He added that the issue is not talked about. "The health authorities look into it. Most health workers and primary care trusts in areas like mine are very aware of it. But it’s a very sensitive issue. That’s why it’s not even a debate and people outside of these areas don’t really know it exists."

Woolas was supported by Ann Cryer, Labour MP for Keighley, who called for the NHS to do more to warn parents of the dangers of inbreeding.

"This is to do with a medieval culture where you keep wealth within the family," she said.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/poli...icle3342040.ece

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

please, gupt you are trash

have not changed your postings for the past 2 years. Same BS articles against muslims, good job. keep up the good work. freaking idiot.

why dont you talk about how women are treated in india.

Edited by hafiz

Aapki Nazroan Ne Samjha, Pyaar Ke Kabil Mujhe

Dil Ki Ai Dharkan Thaher Ja, Mil Gayee Manzil Mujhe

I-130 Process

01-29-2006 | Marriage

02-13-2006 | Mailed to NSC

02-27-2006 | NOA1

06-15-2006 | I-130 Approved

I-129F Process

03-08-2006 | Mailed to CHICAGO LOCKBOX

03-13-2006 | NOA1

07-31-2006 | I-129F Approved

09-01-2006 | K3 Interview, Visa Approved

09-14-2006 | Passport recieved from Consulate

01-23-2007 | POE at Chicago

AOS process

07-25-2007 | Mailed to CHICAGO LOCKBOX

08-30-2007 | NOA1

09-07-2007 | Biometrics Appointment

01-28-2008 | AOS interview-More evidence requested

02-07-2008 | AOS approved

02-19-2008 | Recieved Green Card in mail

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

have not changed your postings for the past 2 years. Same BS articles against muslims, good job. keep up the good work. freaking idiot.

there's no call for that type of language just because he posted a news story you don't agree with.

and yes, you've been reported. :thumbs:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

ok charles stop it, you know its true. he has been doing it for over 2 years, and you just go and support him every time.

Aapki Nazroan Ne Samjha, Pyaar Ke Kabil Mujhe

Dil Ki Ai Dharkan Thaher Ja, Mil Gayee Manzil Mujhe

I-130 Process

01-29-2006 | Marriage

02-13-2006 | Mailed to NSC

02-27-2006 | NOA1

06-15-2006 | I-130 Approved

I-129F Process

03-08-2006 | Mailed to CHICAGO LOCKBOX

03-13-2006 | NOA1

07-31-2006 | I-129F Approved

09-01-2006 | K3 Interview, Visa Approved

09-14-2006 | Passport recieved from Consulate

01-23-2007 | POE at Chicago

AOS process

07-25-2007 | Mailed to CHICAGO LOCKBOX

08-30-2007 | NOA1

09-07-2007 | Biometrics Appointment

01-28-2008 | AOS interview-More evidence requested

02-07-2008 | AOS approved

02-19-2008 | Recieved Green Card in mail

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

My dad's coworker married his first cousin (Pakistanis, yes) and their kids have genetic disorders. Something to do with their bones being fragile.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
ok charles stop it, you know its true. he has been doing it for over 2 years, and you just go and support him every time.

it's not that i'm supporting him, i'm disagreeing with your selection of words. understand the difference?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
unfortunately not backed up by statistics. don't buy it. another excuse to dis you know who...

Medical research suggests that while British Pakistanis are responsible for 3% of all births, they account for one in three British children born with genetic illnesses.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

The whole problem with this kind of thing is that the public at large seem to be extremely ignorant about cultural differences, especially when the media gets involved and loaded phrases like "medieval" are used to describe them.

If anyone hasn't been following it - the Archbishop of Canterbury is facing calls for his resignation following comments made about Sharia law. Comments, taken out of context - because people hear the word Sharia and (again thanks to the media coverage) instantly conjure up images of the flogging, stoning and limb amputations which take place in parts of the ME. Nowhere in what Rowan Williams said was he talking about establishing a parallel judicial system, arbitration of family "civil" law has absolutely nothing to do with the judicial process for criminal offences.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

If you don't agree with an article that's fine, attacking the OP is, however, a TOS violation so please refrain from continuing.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Syria
Timeline

my sister in law is married to her first cousin and had two miscarriges because there was genitic defects with both of them.

my huband worked in saudi where inbreeding is common and there was alot of genitic problems with alot of the kids there.

he is a doctor and muslim and he even thinks being to close in genitics cause problems. so no one is picking on muslims when they even think it for themselves. chill out.

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline
UK Minister warns of inbreeding in British Pakistanis

Maybe we can look forward to a British remake of the old American classic movie "Deliverance"? A canoe trip down the Thames and the strange natives with quaint customs encountered along the way?

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan (D-TX)

Testimony to the House Immigration Subcommittee, February 24, 1995