Nuwadess

Husband ordered deportation

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline

I am the petitioner of my husband who was ordered deported by a immigration judge. My husband and I got married after he was taken into custody during the marriage interview with his previous wife. My husband has since been released and was in removal proceedings in which he was ordered deported. My husband is appealing the judge decision based on the judge not hearing his new marriage case. My question is: If my husband loses the appeal, what is the likelihood of him returning to the US since his previous wife told CIS the marriage was fraudulent?

Thanks!!!!

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Sounds pretty bleak to me. And honestly, it looks like your marriage to him was a last ditch effort to stop deportation. I think you will have a tough time proving otherwise.

Edited by Jomo's girl

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline
I am the petitioner of my husband who was ordered deported by a immigration judge. My husband and I got married after he was taken into custody during the marriage interview with his previous wife. My husband has since been released and was in removal proceedings in which he was ordered deported. My husband is appealing the judge decision based on the judge not hearing his new marriage case. My question is: If my husband loses the appeal, what is the likelihood of him returning to the US since his previous wife told CIS the marriage was fraudulent?

Thanks!!!!

you can't file a petition for someone who is in removal preceedings.

whyare they going to believe that this marriage is any more valid then the previous one??

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
you can't file a petition for someone who is in removal preceedings.

why are they going to believe that this marriage is any more valid then the previous one??

My question exactly. Unless you have some very compelling evidence I think your chances are very very very very slim.

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Thanks!!!!

So you married your husband after he was arrested because he was accused of fraud in his first marriage...but now you think a judge is going to overturn his deportaion ruling because your husband married again for a second time?!? Not allowed....

You should have a consultation w/ a very competent attorney, as to what your husband's chances are. There is slim to no chance that your husband will win his appeal based on evidence that he married again. He is being deported for fraudulently marrying a US citizen....there's not much chance that he will be issued another spousal visa....they're not going to give him a second crack at the figurative nut. Perhaps you should start thinking of re-locating....because deportaion, I think means he will not be allowed back to the US under any circumstances, at least for a long while.

-P

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

If it is deemed a fraudulent married on his part he will receive a life-time ban

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Your husband will not be able to adjust status on a family petition from a previous wife with a new wife. You would have to file a new petition (I-130.)

On the instructions for the I-130 they list people who cannot file a the petition:

6. A husband or wife, if he or she was in exclusion, deportation,removal, rescission or judicial proceedings regarding his orher right to remain in the United States when the marriagetook place, unless such spouse has resided outside the UnitedStates for a two-year period after the date of the marriage.

The appeal will probably be lost because the judge doesn' t have to consider a new marriage, especially one after the immigrant was in removal proceedings.

Jasman is correct that if he is found to have a fraudulent marriage with his first wife he will have a lifetime ban for Misrepresentation, however there is a waiver available for this the 601 (hardship waiver.)

I am glad you have an attorney, but I too believe that you will have to wait the two years before you will be able to even start to petition for your husband.

Edited by emt103c

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline

That's the problem, the marriage wasn't deemed fraudulent. I am wondering since we are already married and we filed a new I130, would if be better for my husband to go back to his country and wait the 2 years - if so, what will happen to the I130 we already filed?

Your husband will not be able to adjust status on a family petition from a previous wife with a new wife. You would have to file a new petition (I-130.)

On the instructions for the I-130 they list people who cannot file a the petition:

6. A husband or wife, if he or she was in exclusion, deportation,removal, rescission or judicial proceedings regarding his orher right to remain in the United States when the marriagetook place, unless such spouse has resided outside the UnitedStates for a two-year period after the date of the marriage.

The appeal will probably be lost because the judge doesn' t have to consider a new marriage, especially one after the immigrant was in removal proceedings.

Jasman is correct that if he is found to have a fraudulent marriage with his first wife he will have a lifetime ban for Misrepresentation, however there is a waiver available for this the 601 (hardship waiver.)

I am glad you have an attorney, but I too believe that you will have to wait the two years before you will be able to even start to petition for your husband.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If it wasn't found fraudulent why was he in deportation proceedings?

If he was in deportation proceedings then the I-130 you filed is supposed to be denied on the basis that you were not eligible to file.

Carefully read and understand INA 245(e). If you don't understand it yourself, get a lawyer to explain it to you. You probably should get a lawyer anyway.

You can find it on the USCIS site, under "laws and regulations", "Immigration and Nationality Act."

Paragraphs 1 and 2 basically say that he can't adjust status based on any marriage that is entered while any sort of immigration proceedings are pending against him.

But paragraph 3 provides an exception. You must establish "by clear and convincing evidence" that the marriage is bona fide, not fraudulent and that no fee was paid. Paragraph 3 also limits your ability to appeal a decision against your marriage.

In a normal marriage based immigration case, the couple only has to prove their marriage valid via "a preponderance of the evidence". Even that can sometimes be difficult, but it's a much lower standard of proof than "clear and convincing evidence".

You've got an uphill battle to really prove that the marriage is valid. And it's up to you to absolutely prove it; it's not up to them to show anything's wrong with the marriage. You'll have to prove to very skeptical investigators not only that your feelings for him are genuine, but also that his feelings for you are genuine and not for the purpose of getting a green card.

And I'm assuming his first marriage wasn't found fraudulent. If I'm wrong on this point, your case may be more difficult or impossible.

See a lawyer.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Filed: Other Timeline

What difference does it make why the immigrant was deported? He was. There are multiple reasons why he could have been - marriage fraud is only one.

Because the immigrant was already in removal proceedings, he is subject to the bars. A new marriage to a US citizen cannot in and of itself overcome that.

The only role the new marriage plays in this equation is it gives the immigrant a means by which to reenter the country without waiting on a immigrant visa number. The USC spouse will have to file a visa petition, and the immigrant will have to file a visa application based upon that approved petition. The visa request will be denied and the US sponsor will have to file hardship waivers to overcome the bars.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
There is another on VJ in a similar situation....but I can't remember her name!

Are you talking about jessNgeorges? I think he was in removal proceedings when they got married but he had to leave anyways.

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.