Ali e Jeff

Marriage - AOS

16 posts in this topic

Hello all

Does anybody knows how long, after the marriage, we can wait for to send the papers for AOS?

Thanks a lot.

AOS Timeline 2008

March 20 - Wedding (civil)

April 24 - Sent AOS package (USPS)

April 29 - AOS delivered in Chicago

May 07 - Money order was cashed

May 09 - Received in mail 3 NOAs (AOS, EAD, AP: notice date May,5/2008) - ALL CASES ONLINE

May 12 - Received in mail Biometrics appointment (notice date May,8/2008)

May 16 - Touch (3 cases) ?

May 22 - Biometrics appointment - done

July 07 - AP approval notice and EAD card production ordered (email and online)

July 08 - touch AP and EAD

July 09 - touch EAD

July 10 - email from CRIS, EAD card production ordered

July 14- email from CRIS and online update, EAD aproval notice sent

July 14 - received EAD card

July 15 - received AP document (2 APs)

August 07 - Touch EAD and AP

August 08- Touch AOS

September 19- received letter with appointment for interview

November 4 - interview!!!! APPROVED

November 20 - card production ordered e-mail from CRIS and update online (again 11/24)

November 26 - touch AOS

November 29 - receive Welcome Letter in the mail (dated November,20/2008)

December 1 - email from CRIS (and update online) saying that they send the Welcome letter on December 1 (I received the letter November 29 LOL)

December 2 - touch AOS

December 5 - GREEN CARD arrived (expire in 2 years from the day of the interview)

ROC (LIFTING CONDITIONS) TIMELINE

August 12, 2010 - Sent package

August 14, 2010 - Filed (package received)

August 16, 2010 - NOA date

August 18, 2010 - Check cashed

September 9, 2010 - Received bio. appt. letter

September 27, 2010 - Bio. Appt.

December 20, 2010 - Approval notice by mail

Date of decision 12/15/2010

Hello all

Does anybody knows how long, after the marriage, we can wait for to send the papers for AOS?

Thanks a lot.

Well there isn't a time limit. But as soon as the 90 days are up with your fiance will be out of status. Which can possibly make things more difficult.

keTiiDCjGVo

Hello all

Thanks a lot.

I don't know what others did but my experience was, we had 5 days (after our civil wedding) to prepare all the documents before we mailed off the AOS application. We just want to get it over with and so we can have more time with each other stress-free.

The check as payment for the application was cashed in a day after they received the application package. All in all, I think it was 1 week before the longer wait officially started.

Edited by krakatoa

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

We got married on a Sunday and the AOS package was in the mail on Tuesday - 2 days later.

However, there is not really a time limit - like it was already said. But who wants to be without visa? I suggest applying as soon as possible, life will be much easier for your soon-to-be spouse. For example, in FL you can get a DL, valid for one year, with only the NOA from the AOS - otherwise the DL is only valid as long as the I-94 is (or 90 days).

Edited by bora bora

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

Filed: Other Country: Guyana
Timeline

I got married on the 3rd Jan 08 & My husband post out AOS package on the 22nd Jan 08 , my visa will exp 29 Feb 08 , so he didn't take any chances at all , we post the package one month ahead before my visa expire & I get out of status , just make sure you post out your package asap before you run out of status :whistle:

Thanks for the answer...but now I am more confuse...

All I really knew is that we need to marry before my visa expire...but I didn't know that we need to send this package before this visa expire too...

??

AOS Timeline 2008

May 09 - Received in mail 3 NOAs (AOS, EAD, AP: notice date May,5/2008) - ALL CASES ONLINE

July 09 - touch EAD

August 08- Touch AOS

November 20 - card production ordered e-mail from CRIS and update online (again 11/24)

November 26 - touch AOS

December 1 - email from CRIS (and update online) saying that they send the Welcome letter on December 1 (I received the letter November 29 LOL)

December 2 - touch AOS

December 5 - GREEN CARD arrived (expire in 2 years from the day of the interview)

Filed: Timeline
Thanks for the answer...but now I am more confuse...

All I really knew is that we need to marry before my visa expire...but I didn't know that we need to send this package before this visa expire too...

??

Your visa expires as soon as you use it to enter the country. You're then going by the expiry date on the I-94, which is three months after the date of entry. Once your I-94 expires you are out of status. You don't need to send the AOS application before the I-94 expires. You just need to get married before the I-94 expires.

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Then again...why wait? You're kind of in limbo otherwise....of course it does cost a lot of $$$

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Hello all

Thanks a lot.

you can send them after you kiss the bride... or the groom :)

6/21/2006 - sent i130.i485,i131,i765,biometrics, sponsor

6/23/2006 - recieved by MSC

6/27/2006 - notice date on NOA

7/26/2006 - fingerprinting

recieived notice for interview... duno when

9/2/2006 - all apps touched

9/13/2006 - interview. waiting for bkground, no approve.deny case will be reviewed as my case in more complicated., i1131, i485 sepereated from file, claimed that they will be sent for processing

9/22/2006 - called national customer support., been 90 days, no interim ead (i knew i wldnt have it yet) was told to go to santa ana

9/26/2006 - office claims file is floating around somewhere in the mail room, they will find my work permit app and travel doc app and send it for processing

9/26/2006 - drive to LA to double check what they said, office at LA claims that santa ana sent work p, travel to NBC

9/27/2006 - EAD, Travel docs touched

9/28/2006 - EAD, Travel docs tocuhed

9/29/2006 - :( nothing touched, no letters no emails :(:( ---- waiting., will send letter to congressman monday

10/2/2006 - Travel Docs Touched, nothing new on EAD....Wife sent letter to congressman

10/2/2006 - Got Travel Doc in the mail

10/2/2006 9:30 PM PST, 5 email ead approved, will mail me new card

10/6/2006 10:30 AM PST, got 3 emails saying that they have mailed out an approval letter for my EAD... hmmm wheres the damn EAD,

10/7/2006 - Got EAD with a TYPO in a#!!!! in the mail

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

We sent ours in 6 weeks after we married.

You do have a time limit on getting married. 90 days.

There is no time limit to send in AOS. I have heard of some who have waited 2 years to do so. Keep in mind, though, that until you send it in, you may have issues with social security card, drivers license, being able to work, putting your name on any accounts, etc.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Then again...why wait? You're kind of in limbo otherwise....of course it does cost a lot of $$$

If they met in the U.S. and got married, the USC needs to file the I-130, which nowadays

requires evidence of a bonafide marriage. If they don't have enough evidence to send in

with the I-130, waiting may be their only option.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: Timeline

If they met in the U.S. and got married, the USC needs to file the I-130, which nowadays

requires evidence of a bonafide marriage. If they don't have enough evidence to send in

with the I-130, waiting may be their only option.

They're a K-1.

iagree.gif

Thanks all for the answers...

It help me with some doubts..

Ali

AOS Timeline 2008

July 09 - touch EAD

August 08- Touch AOS

November 26 - touch AOS

December 2 - touch AOS

Congratulations on your marriage! :)

You received some good advice here on this thread, but what isn't stated is the necessity of including w/ your AOS either a certified copy of your executed marriage license or a copy of your marriage certificate. In some states it can take a longer time to receive the marriage certificate, so couples opt to pay a few dollars and get a certified copy of their marriage license and sending that in.

Either way, as stated above - there's no time limit per se on filing for AOS, the only limitation K-1 visa holders have is to marry their USC petitioner w/in 90 days of entering the country on their K-1 visa. That said, most people file for AOS as soon as possible, to make things happen as quickly as possible. :)

Good luck,

-P

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.