trebor6164

How to bring mother over for visitation

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Nigeria
Timeline

:help: Hello everyone,

I need some help on how to bring my mother over for visitation without going through the visitation application process.

she was in the U.S.A in the 1980, she came with her ex-husband. Her social security number is still current in U.S.A but she left back to her foreign country in 1989. Now, I would like her to come and visit but because I know she's still have her social security card from U.S.A I don't think that she have to go through the whole visitation process again. I need some help on what to do everyone.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
I don't think that she have to go through the whole visitation process again.

Do you mean B2 Application? Assuming she is not a USC then she would need a visa.

Why did she have a SSN? Was she here on a work visa?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

A SSN isnt going to help her get in the country.

If she does not have a current visa then she will have to apply for one.

From your info I presume the country is Nigeria.

Here is the link for the details of how to apply for a visa from there.

http://abuja.usembassy.gov/general_information2.html

I 130 & I129F (K3) and AOS info in timeline

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I'm also wondering on what type of visa she was here during those years and why she has a SSN. The information you give is very vague.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Timeline

Do you mean B2 Application? Assuming she is not a USC then she would need a visa.

her ex-husband brought her over to U.S.A when he was going to school in U.S.A with F1 visa. So, they went through the whole process of getting social security card and whatever else they needed at the time.

Timeline
I'm also wondering on what type of visa she was here during those years and why she has a SSN. The information you give is very vague.

Diana

her ex-husband was going to school in U.S.A with F1 visa and he brought her over from Nigeria

but I don't what type of visa she had when she was here with him. I knew that she stayed in the country for about 9 years and she also worked several jobs while she was in the U.S.A.

Back then SSN were given out much more freely. You could go apply for one, even if you were on a tourist visa. You could say you wanted a drivers license, and since a SSN was a requirement for a license, they'd issue you one. So in the early 80s, there were many ways to get a SSN. But none of that has anything to do with the OPs mother being able to visit the US now.

First, did she leave when her visa expired? 9 yrs is a pretty long time to be here on a J1. She could have an overstay that could complicate the situation.

12140.gif

her ex-husband brought her over to U.S.A when he was going to school in U.S.A with F1 visa. So, they went through the whole process of getting social security card and whatever else they needed at the time.

IF her ex-husband was on F-1 visa, she was then on F-2 (dependent visa). It's used for purpose of studying and nothing else. Your mom should apply for regular B2 visa to visit you. SSN has no bearing on issuance of B2 visa.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline

Diana

her ex-husband was going to school in U.S.A with F1 visa and he brought her over from Nigeria

but I don't what type of visa she had when she was here with him. I knew that she stayed in the country for about 9 years and she also worked several jobs while she was in the U.S.A.

F2 is the dependent visa, but does not allow you to work.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

IF her ex-husband was on F-1 visa, she was then on F-2 (dependent visa). It's used for purpose of studying and nothing else. Your mom should apply for regular B2 visa to visit you. SSN has no bearing on issuance of B2 visa.

Thanks. She was on F-2 visa

Timeline

If they know she worked on a F2, that would complicate matters.

Edited by Boiler

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.