Vintage

My Story: Help a newbie!

11 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I'm half Colombian and half from Sri Lanka, wierd mix? Born in New York. My fiance is 100% Colombian, I've known her since we were babies. I am now 21 and she is 20. If everything pans out well, we'll get married on the 3rd of July. So I've been somewhat confused by this whole process. At first I was looking for a lawyer to fill out all the forms and help out. But I got discouraged after I met with several lawyers and found out that I knew more than they did about the K-1 visa. So I decided to do this by myself and save myself a penny. I'm still kind of nervous because I don't want to get anything wrong. That's where I need any suggestions from those who are more experienced with the K-1 visa process. So far we have the Fiance letter of intent, and the cover letter. So basically nothing. We also have tons and tons of photographs from when we were babies, teenagers and from just recently. So I guess I can easily prove that I've known my fiance for more than 2 years. We've been officialy together since May 2007. I currently a student and in my final year of college. So for the Affadavit of Support I have both my parents as co-sponsers. So here are a few questions I have about the forms and everything else I need.

-I plan on including some letters and emails written by her to me, do they need to be translated?

-Can I fill out my fiances G-325A and have her just sign and date it?

-What documents do my parents need to prove that we have enough to support my fiance?

-What documents should we have notarized?

Thanks in advance for those who help.

K-1 Timeline

I-129F Sent - 3/4/2008

I-129F Recieved - 3/5/2008

I-129F Approved - 5/7/2008

Interview Date - 8/26/2008 - (Asked for petitioner to be interviewed as well, new interview Date 9/18/2008)

Interview 2 Date - 9/18/2008 - (Case Sent to review, and not DENIED as I orignally thought)

Gave up on K1 process - 9/19/2008

Canceled K-1 Petition - 5/1/09

Married - 5/30/2009

Recieved K-1 2nd Approval (HA!) - 6/6/2009

Long Honey Moon - 5/30/2009-10/14/2009

I-130 Timeline

I-130 Sent - 12/22/2009

I-130 Recieved - 12/23/2009

Received NOA1 Hardcopy - 1/4/10 (Dated 12/29/09)

NOA2 - 3/9/2010

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
I'm half Colombian and half from Sri Lanka, wierd mix? Born in New York. My fiance is 100% Colombian, I've known her since we were babies. I am now 21 and she is 20. If everything pans out well, we'll get married on the 3rd of July. So I've been somewhat confused by this whole process. At first I was looking for a lawyer to fill out all the forms and help out. But I got discouraged after I met with several lawyers and found out that I knew more than they did about the K-1 visa. So I decided to do this by myself and save myself a penny. I'm still kind of nervous because I don't want to get anything wrong. That's where I need any suggestions from those who are more experienced with the K-1 visa process. So far we have the Fiance letter of intent, and the cover letter. So basically nothing. We also have tons and tons of photographs from when we were babies, teenagers and from just recently. So I guess I can easily prove that I've known my fiance for more than 2 years. We've been officialy together since May 2007. I currently a student and in my final year of college. So for the Affadavit of Support I have both my parents as co-sponsers. So here are a few questions I have about the forms and everything else I need.

-I plan on including some letters and emails written by her to me, do they need to be translated?

Not sure but it couldn't hurt. Mostly they want to know that you have met physically in the past 2 years and not that you have had an ongoing relationship. So, if you have plane stubs, passport stamps, credit card receipts, to show that you have met within the past 2 years those would be better.

Yes

-What documents do my parents need to prove that we have enough to support my fiance?

Tax transcripts or tax returns and W2's, letter of employment and paystubs. But these are not needed until the interview stage.

The I-134 but only for the interview stage.

Have you taken a look at the guides on here yet? They are filled with a wealth of info: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=guides

Good luck!!!

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

First with k1 dont plan the ceremony yet look at the backlog of the applications especially since u havent even filed yet...... as im remembering everything needs to be translated, you can fill out both and she signs hers, support papers i dont know read up on the guides for more info, again the guides will tell you what has to be original or certified, in general study study the guides and instructions there will be more to include than letters, is she here still a student also or in her city, did u make trips there, phone call, emails?

Edited by brnidokiegurl

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Assuming you are a US Citizen, you can petition for your foreign fiance to obtain a K1 visa. However, the marriage must occur, in the USA, after the visa is in hand and she enters the US using it. With that in mind, please prepare yourself for the fact that even if you filed today, you cannot count on completing the process by July 3, 2008. It's best to wait on any firm wedding date until the visa is in hand.

It doesn't matter who fills out any of the forms as long as the signatures are original.

You and your parent or parents if needed will provide I-134 forms to your fiance to deliver to the Consulate when and if asked for. Those are the only US Government forms that are Notarized as a part of the K1 visa process.

Please study the guides here and the instructions on the forms, then ask any remaining questions. You may have many.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

...So I guess I can easily prove that I've known my fiance for more than 2 years. We've been officialy together since May 2007. ...

For the K-1 visa petition, the I-129F form, you need only to prove that you have met w/ your fiancee at least once within the last two years before you filed the applicaiton...not that you've known each other for more than 2 years.

Letters and e-mails are not necessary to include w/ the petition....since what evidence you need to include should be to prove that you have met(see my answer above). But if you include any 'supporting evidence' of this kind, it must be translated to english.

Yes

The I-134 Affidavit of Support will not come into place until your I-129F petition is approved here in the US, and your case is forwarded to the consulate in your fiancee's home country....so for now, I think you should concentrate on the the petition. But to answer your question, your parents will need current and past tax return information and current salary info, in addition to any savings and assets they may want to use.

In order to submit the initial I-129F, there does not need to be anything notarized. That comes later...

Please look at the timelines, and the guides which can be found here and here

They offer a wealth of information for someone just starting out in this process.

Good luck,

-P

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Yeah - defo don't plan for or set your heart on 3rd July for a wedding as it is very possible you won't make that date - of course, you might but I would play it safe (I speak from experience!)

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Thanks for all your answers. I have a few more questions.

For the Affadavit of support, I would need to fill out 3 I-134 forms, one for me as the main sponser and the other two for my parents as co-sponsers. Is this correct?

Is it a good idea to accompany my fiance during her interview at the consulate in Bogota? Would that help?

Wouldn't it be good to have a set date for the wedding, just incase they ask during the interview or something, they won't think theres something fishy going on, you know.

Edited by Vintage

K-1 Timeline

I-129F Sent - 3/4/2008

I-129F Recieved - 3/5/2008

I-129F Approved - 5/7/2008

Interview Date - 8/26/2008 - (Asked for petitioner to be interviewed as well, new interview Date 9/18/2008)

Interview 2 Date - 9/18/2008 - (Case Sent to review, and not DENIED as I orignally thought)

Gave up on K1 process - 9/19/2008

Canceled K-1 Petition - 5/1/09

Married - 5/30/2009

Recieved K-1 2nd Approval (HA!) - 6/6/2009

Long Honey Moon - 5/30/2009-10/14/2009

I-130 Timeline

I-130 Sent - 12/22/2009

I-130 Recieved - 12/23/2009

Received NOA1 Hardcopy - 1/4/10 (Dated 12/29/09)

NOA2 - 3/9/2010

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

For the Affadavit of support, I would need to fill out 3 I-134 forms, one for me as the main sponser and the other two for my parents as co-sponsers. Is this correct?

Yes. But if one of your parents fulfills the poverty guidelines then you only need one of them to be a cosponsor.

Is it a good idea to accompany my fiance during her interview at the consulate in Bogota? Would that help?

It doesn't hurt.

Wouldn't it be good to have a set date for the wedding, just incase they ask during the interview or something, they won't think theres something fishy going on, you know.

The advice to not set the date is because this process is very unpredictable and sometimes things don't go as planned. The consulate does not really care whether you have a date set or not. All they will be looking for is proof of a relationship and your intention to get married.

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

The Affidavit of Support will probably not come into play for your until a good few months down the road. This is a document that you present to the Consulate not long before your fiancee interviews for the visa....and as unpredictable as the process can be, the paramenters could change in your financial situation by that time and the consulate usually wants to see forms w/ recent info on them.

Is it a good idea to accompany my fiance during her interview at the consulate in Bogota? Would that help? If allowed, there's no reason why you can't accompany her during the interview. There are some consulates that do not allow the USC into the interview area.

It is usually advised that no firm wedding plans are made because nothing is for sure in this process until that visa is in had. So while you may have a target date for a wedding...but make sure it is a very flexible date and that it is realistic in light of the timelines (from petition sent to visa in hand) as shown here on VJ. (You'll see that its taking an average total of 228(over 7 months) days from sending the petiton to having an interview for a K-1 visa.)

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

The Affidavit of Support will probably not come into play for your until a good few months down the road. This is a document that you present to the Consulate not long before your fiancee interviews for the visa....and as unpredictable as the process can be, the paramenters could change in your financial situation by that time and the consulate usually wants to see forms w/ recent info on them.

Is it a good idea to accompany my fiance during her interview at the consulate in Bogota? Would that help? If allowed, there's no reason why you can't accompany her during the interview. There are some consulates that do not allow the USC into the interview area.

It is usually advised that no firm wedding plans are made because nothing is for sure in this process until that visa is in had. So while you may have a target date for a wedding...but make sure it is a very flexible date and that it is realistic in light of the timelines (from petition sent to visa in hand) as shown here on VJ. (You'll see that its taking an average total of 228(over 7 months) days from sending the petiton to having an interview for a K-1 visa.)

You have a 90 day window in which to accomplish a legal marriage in the USA. This window opens the day your fiance enters the USA using the K1 visa. You cannot have a firm plan for the day that window opens until after the visa is in hand. You can than plan her entry for any day during the six months following the visa issue date.

With those facts in mind, it is unwise to set a wedding date until the visa is in hand. You don't know if you're facing a 7 month process or up to a year or more. The Consular officers understand this well, so are looking for a firm commitment to marry in the US within the 90 day window, not a firm wedding date.

Actually conducting a bona fide ongoing relationship and showing evidence thereof is far more important than planning a party.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.