LaL

Real Estate Journey

110 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

pricing can be an issue, but so can a poorly laid out listing!! A listing that is terribly worded or terrible pictures sure doesnt help!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just clarifying I am not firing her due to lack of sale on the home. Its a tough market at the moment, but being that it is, and her statements that not much at all of the inventory is moving" - then it stands to reason the marketing and exposure should be a pretty darn high priority. What has been done is standard fare - with the exception of all the reduction in prices (we have had 3 and OOOPS! she "forgot" to update one website so it remained at the higherprice well over a month since the last reduction). How about remembering to do an open house that was decided last month? How about not "forgetting" to call back realtors who have actually shown the house to get feedback (has happened every time!)?

Moreover - if "nothing is moving" it takes 3 days to return my call (still waiting btw)? A week went by before she would return my landscaper's call (after he called HER 3 times). Who knows if she misses/forgets calls from prospective buyers!

This is not at all just about price/sale/etc. This is about a volatile market and if one decides to take on the task of another listing, doing what it takes to get it sold (not just price reductions - as I have done them and kept up with the comps!). Sometimes houses fly in and off the market, seems to be a busy time and cash flow for realtors, now, working hard to get attention in a beyond saturated market is pretty difficult, but at the VERY least, do what was promised.

I guess I just got a listing collector.

Ok so my call on the 18th went without a return phone call (4 days???!!) So I emailed her termination of contract. I can fathom what is taking 4 days to get back to me, and I got more & more angy as the days went on. Truly unacceptable to me.

/sigh

Filed: Other Timeline
Ok so my call on the 18th went without a return phone call (4 days???!!) So I emailed her termination of contract. I can fathom what is taking 4 days to get back to me, and I got more & more angy as the days went on. Truly unacceptable to me.

/sigh

Oh, but it's your price, don't you know?

/sigh

4 days? weak

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

/sigh

Wow, four days. I'd follow up the email with hard copy via mail too. Just to be sure.

Timeline

i would be calling her broker!!!! Thats one of the things I get when I interview a realtor, is their broker info!! Everyone works for someone!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

i would be calling her broker!!!! Thats one of the things I get when I interview a realtor, is their broker info!! Everyone works for someone!!

I *really* want to, and I really should. I just dont think I will. I just want to be done with them.

Timeline

Thats why you call her broker, to be done with them!! politely explain the situation, and ask where to send the termination contract!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello Lal,

Your Realtor's behavior is unacceptable. A Client listing is a top priority! I would defiantly make an appointment to let her know that she is not meeting your expectations. Did you interview more then 1 Realtor?

Send me a picture of the listing photo. I want to see if it has "curb" appeal. Three things that sell a home is Price, Location, and condition. Even with just a photo posted with a little information you should have received some showings. Right away I can tell you that your house is price wrong or the 1st photo is not taken at a good angle.

If you need to sell your home, you should price it competitively with other homes in your neighbor hood and condition/location.

Did your Realtor show you a comparative market analysis?

oh, i was a Realtor for several years.

What is acceptable? My home in Tampa has been listed for a month and 1/2 and there have been ZERO showings. I realize its a tough season in a very tough market. That does not completely make me feel comfy with the fact that no one has even walked through it yet. A few calls in to ask the price wound up - "well my client is looking in the XYZ range (lower)". I really might be able to control my nervousness about this if this realtor actually made me think she was doing anything at all.

* She was always late or cancelled when we were to go over the paperwork.

* I called her on 12/29 about my realtor.com listing and that it was bare bones. no reply.

* I emailed her again on 1/7 advising it still showed with limited info, I finally got an email back on 1/8/08 stating it will be done.

* 1/9/08 it was completed/uploaded.

* I call her and always get voicemail.

* I called her this past friday and have not received a call back yet.

I am getting so pissed off, and keep wondering, is this a normal "service" provided by a realtor once they get you into a contract with them? I feel completely ignored and think I should just cancel the contract citing the items listed above. Again- I realize tough market/tough time of year, but that in no way excuses the lack of communication. I even got a xmas card that stated - someone called, asked the price, declined to show the property. Um thanks! merry xmas to you too!! (while I apreciate the "effort" it took to "update me", I thought there are better ways!)

:ranting:

<object width="660" height="525"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>

Timeline
In our area an open house is a normal thing often done the first weekend a property is on sale. It isn't a sign of desperation.

In the current market no viewings in a week isn't a bad sign, even here in Portland where prices are still easing up houses are on the market for weeks now before selling, 55 days is the present average on the market. A recent open house at a neighbors property had no-one attend.

Open Houses do not sell the House they sell the REALTOR. Brokers let new agenst do the open house they can get buyer potentials.

The location of your house is importat also as whether or not it will benefit you the seller.

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>

Timeline

Great idea with the friend thing! Sorry Idid not realize how old thepost was when I send it under View new posts. Good luck LAL

Aww thanks for the thoughts G4E :) . So far we have just kept where we are, but my foot is already out the door. Today (haha) I am going to ride out my contract. Tomorrow, I may feel differently :P .

It has been on the market since Dec 3rd, and has had very very little action. The average time to sell a house in Tampa for my comps is 6 months, so I think I am pseudo-ok (sans showings!!!! :wacko: ) I have read many articles, and been going through the MLS often to gage the market (as best *I* can, a nonprofessional). Very little is moving anywhere in Tampa, and the last article I read indicated there is a market of around 24K and in any one month about 1500 actually sell. Not very many. I have also lowered the price 16K down from where it was originally, and still have a bit more wiggle room where I feel comfortable to go down to. Last week, for the 2nd time on CNN they targeted Tampa as a ####### market and how "no one is buying down there". I nearly shouted at the TV ~ stop discouraging!! :lol:

She will be holding an open house, has now also placed the house on Craig's List, and I have a mock showing going on I think this week. I may get some flack for this, but I have to know if its really the market, or if she is also getting in the way. I am having a friend call her and ask for a showing. She will get back to me on if the call goes to voicemail, how long it takes to get back, schedule the walkthrough, and her knowledge of the home. The outcome of this for me, will really decide if we will continue with her. This will also help me with the condition of the home, as we left it, and we had workers clean it up (pictures look great, but I want a real opinion). Either way, my contract is up in May.

Thanks LS - I will bookmark that link and look into it :)

Thats why you call her broker, to be done with them!! politely explain the situation, and ask where to send the termination contract!

Yes, I suppose you are right. It is a holiday weekend, so I will do that on Monday if no confirmation of the receipt of the email I sent. /sigh

Hello Lal,

Your Realtor's behavior is unacceptable. A Client listing is a top priority! I would defiantly make an appointment to let her know that she is not meeting your expectations. Did you interview more then 1 Realtor?

Send me a picture of the listing photo. I want to see if it has "curb" appeal. Three things that sell a home is Price, Location, and condition. Even with just a photo posted with a little information you should have received some showings. Right away I can tell you that your house is price wrong or the 1st photo is not taken at a good angle.

If you need to sell your home, you should price it competitively with other homes in your neighbor hood and condition/location.

Did your Realtor show you a comparative market analysis?

oh, i was a Realtor for several years.

I did not interview my realtor, she was the wife of the guy I bought it from and I have known her since then. Yes to the comps, etc. The listing photo does not show you that my house is in a declining neighborhood. Several of the houses have been renovated, but far more have quite a bit of work to do. That may be part of the issue. My home does have pluses as far as location - 8 minutes to USCIS ;) and the same to the airport, about 15 min to downtown and is about 20 minutes to the beach. I also have a conservation lot across the street filled with trees & flowers and its on the cul de sac. Its still one of the more sought after zipcodes, just my specific neighborhood is truely showing age. Especialy after the 2004 and 2005 hurricanes. One after another just aged the neighborhood so much.

All in all, its a combination of factors, but the change in agents did not have to do with lack of sale, just more of the lack of communication with me, and my fear the disorganization she displayed with me had/would have spilled into getting a buyer.

Listing photo - supposedly hers did not come out well, so she used one of mine. :hehe:

homeedit.jpg

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

The listing agent is under no obligation to even try to sell the house. Agents love to get listings as it locks in their commission when the house eventually sells. The hard part is selling the house. They depend upon the multiple listing for some other agent to sell the house. Do be fooled by the use of the word agent, as they are not obligated to you as an agent when the term is used in regular business contracts. Courts have long ago determined that a real estate agent is not really an agent under business law. The listing agent will no nothing except get the house multiple listed. If someone should walk into her office some day looking for a house, she may suggest your and if he'/she sells it....great....he gets both the listing and selling commission.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Filed: Other Timeline
The listing agent is under no obligation to even try to sell the house. Agents love to get listings as it locks in their commission when the house eventually sells. The hard part is selling the house. They depend upon the multiple listing for some other agent to sell the house. Do be fooled by the use of the word agent, as they are not obligated to you as an agent when the term is used in regular business contracts. Courts have long ago determined that a real estate agent is not really an agent under business law. The listing agent will no nothing except get the house multiple listed. If someone should walk into her office some day looking for a house, she may suggest your and if he'/she sells it....great....he gets both the listing and selling commission.

Mike, I'd have to disagree with some of your post.

The listing agent definitely has a contractual liability to the seller and as such is obligated to them.

It is true they aren't obligated to sell the house. But they have other fiduciary responsibilities which is explained nicely in laymen's terms here:

http://www.exclusivebuyersagents.com/duties.htm