LaL

Real Estate Journey

110 posts in this topic

What is acceptable? My home in Tampa has been listed for a month and 1/2 and there have been ZERO showings. I realize its a tough season in a very tough market. That does not completely make me feel comfy with the fact that no one has even walked through it yet. A few calls in to ask the price wound up - "well my client is looking in the XYZ range (lower)". I really might be able to control my nervousness about this if this realtor actually made me think she was doing anything at all.

* She was always late or cancelled when we were to go over the paperwork.

* I called her on 12/29 about my realtor.com listing and that it was bare bones. no reply.

* I emailed her again on 1/7 advising it still showed with limited info, I finally got an email back on 1/8/08 stating it will be done.

* 1/9/08 it was completed/uploaded.

* I call her and always get voicemail.

* I called her this past friday and have not received a call back yet.

I am getting so pissed off, and keep wondering, is this a normal "service" provided by a realtor once they get you into a contract with them? I feel completely ignored and think I should just cancel the contract citing the items listed above. Again- I realize tough market/tough time of year, but that in no way excuses the lack of communication. I even got a xmas card that stated - someone called, asked the price, declined to show the property. Um thanks! merry xmas to you too!! (while I apreciate the "effort" it took to "update me", I thought there are better ways!)

:ranting:

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If nothing else.. I would have a meeting with her and outlining everything you just said.. So she KNOWS you think she sucks.

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

In the UK, if they haven't made a sale (or viewings have been disappointing) within 4 weeks you can just drop that Realtor and find another. Is it like that in the States?

To be honest, LaL, I'd look into getting someone else, sounds to me like your Realtor is a little lacklustre in her approach to things. :(

If nothing else.. I would have a meeting with her and outlining everything you just said.. So she KNOWS you think she sucks.

LaL doesn't live close enough to meet with her, unfortunately. Perhaps a phone conference appointment would be a good idea, though?

Edited by Mags

The contract is for 6 months (which is average time for a home to sit on the market in Tampa), but I can dump it if she isn't doing what she should be doing (according to me). Im just reviewing it now.

I am seeing if she returns my call today. If between a whole Friday, and today, (even minus the weekend) I think thats ridiculous.

ETA: I should add that I am extremely stubborn, and while I will make a follow up call, I refuse to chase anyone who is making money off of me. If a follow up call is made, and is not returned in quick turnaround, she probably will be seeing the door shut on this sale for her.

Edited by LaL

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

lal - flush that #######.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Timeline

I am never one to bash another REALTOR® as it's not my place, but I will say that at least in FL, the realtor is working under the broker...so in actuality, it's not just the agent his/herself working for you, but it's the broker and the firm as well. If you have concerns, you should address them with the broker personally.

The contract is for 6 months (which is average time for a home to sit on the market in Tampa), but I can dump it if she isn't doing what she should be doing (according to me). Im just reviewing it now.

I am seeing if she returns my call today. If between a whole Friday, and today, (even minus the weekend) I think thats ridiculous.

ETA: I should add that I am extremely stubborn, and while I will make a follow up call, I refuse to chase anyone who is making money off of me. If a follow up call is made, and is not returned in quick turnaround, she probably will be seeing the door shut on this sale for her.

While I have no clue what deal you have with your agency, speaking for myself I will say that I don't make a penny if I don't perform my duties AND sell the house. It stands to reason that most agents would feel the same way, so nonperformance shouldn't really be an issue as it is not in anyone's best interest to do so. Perhaps there's other issues? Is the house priced within market value? If not, no amt of follow up and work is going to sell the house....

ETA: if it's one of these 'pay a listing fee up front' places, well, then that would be a different scenario...

Edited by LisaD

While I have no clue what deal you have with your agency, speaking for myself I will say that I don't make a penny if I don't perform my duties AND sell the house. It stands to reason that most agents would feel the same way, so nonperformance shouldn't really be an issue as it is not in anyone's best interest to do so. Perhaps there's other issues? Is the house priced within market value? If not, no amt of follow up and work is going to sell the house....

ETA: if it's one of these 'pay a listing fee up front' places, well, then that would be a different scenario...

No, of course I know she isn't "making money off of me" until she actually sells the property. But I *am* her client, and think some of the things just aren't being met (9 days to get back to me/fix a listing??)

I originally balked at the price she suggested, but assured me (showed me comps/actives & solds) this was fair - we were listed below the highest in our neghborhood, were larger, and most things were brand new (all windows, slider, new carpet, new appliances, new exterior). So she did convince me it would be ok and if it was found to be to high, we can adjust (although backpeddling didnt sound too nice to me)... a WEEK into the listing she emailed me stating perhaps we should think of a price reduction. Um - a week ago, you convinced me this is ok. I have since dropped the price (a week ago).

I was thinking of having her work the on the following things:

1- call back that interested party who was shopping in a diff range and see if I can come within 2K of their higher limit if they want to view

2- open house with all the bells & whistles. My impression of open houses are semi-desparate attempts, however since only being on the market since 12/3/07, would perhaps appear more as a motivated seller?

I just don't know. I don't think I am unrealistic in my expectations, just the noncommunication is driving me nutso.

Edited by LaL

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I just don't know. I don't think I am unrealistic in my expectations, just the noncommunication is driving me nutso.

I don't think you are being unrealistic in your expectations at all. Fact is, she may not be making money off you right now, but she IS still working FOR you, nonetheless. And having to wait more than a day for a call back is appalling, imo.

No, of course I know she isn't "making money off of me" until she actually sells the property. But I *am* her client, and think some of the things just aren't being met (9 days to get back to me/fix a listing??)

I originally balked at the price she suggested, but assured me (showed me comps/actives & solds) this was fair - we were listed below the highest in our neghborhood, were larger, and most things were brand new (all windows, slider, new carpet, new appliances, new exterior). So she did convince me it would be ok and if it was found to be to high, we can adjust (although backpeddling didnt sound too nice to me)... a WEEK into the listing she emailed me stating perhaps we should think of a price reduction. Um - a week ago, you convinced me this is ok. I have since dropped the price (a week ago).

I was thinking of having her work the on the following things:

1- call back that interested party who was shopping in a diff range and see if I can come within 2K of their higher limit if they want to view

2- open house with all the bells & whistles. My impression of open houses are semi-desparate attempts, however since only being on the market since 12/3/07, would perhaps appear more as a motivated seller?

I never said you were being unrealistic...and I completely understand your frustration. I think you should talk with the broker of whatever firm you are listed with. I was just trying to discern if you were with one of those 'pay up front' places or not....

I never understand commissioned agents not performing their jobs. Only creates tons of grief for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

Good luck!

Filed: Other Timeline

It's a typical case of an agent who's only interested in the listing. There's loads of them out there.

I'd speak to the broker also.

It's a load of ####### to put a house on the market one week and then say the price needs lowered the next. This person wanted to get you on the hook and beyond that probably doesn't give a damn what happens now.

Maybe I wouldn't call the broker. I'd probably just get another agent. There are some out there who are workers, though in my experience they are few and far between.

It's a typical case of an agent who's only interested in the listing. There's loads of them out there.

It's a load of ####### to put a house on the market one week and then say the price needs lowered the next. This person wanted to get you on the hook and beyond that probably doesn't give a damn what happens now.

Maybe I wouldn't call the broker. I'd probably just get another agent. There are some out there who are workers, though in my experience they are few and far between.

I would agree, cept for the bit with the listing not being complete and updated on realtor.com. And really, the agent could very well shoot off an email here and there to keep communication open...so that if there needs to be another approach to selling the home, the agent won't have to get past anger from the homeowner.

I know with my listings...even with the out of state ones, there are some customers who like to be called and updated. Others prefer email. So once a week, I let everyone know 'this is what happened this week...there were X showings, I advertised here and there, I held an open house, this went pending in your neighborhood, this is new on mkt, etc.' While we can't bring ppl in my gunpoint if no one wants to see it, there are still other things for the agent to do other than let it just sit there getting stale.

If the house isn't getting any showings, I'm of the personal notion it's a pricing issue. Mind you, that's just my opinion.

Edited by LisaD

Filed: Other Timeline

I would agree, cept for the bit with the listing not being complete and updated on realtor.com. And really, the agent could very well shoot off an email here and there to keep communication open...so that if there needs to be another approach to selling the home, the agent won't have to get past anger from the homeowner.

I know with my listings...even with the out of state ones, there are some customers who like to be called and updated. Others prefer email. So once a week, I let everyone know 'this is what happened this week...there were X showings, I advertised here and there, I held an open house, this went pending in your neighborhood, this is new on mkt, etc.' While we can't bring ppl in my gunpoint if no one wants to see it, there are still other things for the agent to do other than let it just sit there getting stale.

If the house isn't getting any showings, I'm of the personal notion it's a pricing issue. Mind you, that's just my opinion.

It probably is price. But what kind of a wack idea is it to list the house one week and lower it the next?

This person isn't trustwrothy IMO.