Meliss3108

We are thinking about not getting rings....

15 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

My finace and I are thinking about not exchanging rings at our Jamaican wedding. Our plan has always been to have a small wedding (read inexpensive) in Jamaica for his family and have a second larger wedding once he is in the states. He is concerned that when he goes for his interview they may think less of the marriage because we didn't exchange rings--- we can't afford what we really want right now and I don't see the point in spending money on rings that we don't really love. Any thoughts?

CR1 Visa Journey

Met in Tryall 6/23/07

Married in Tryall 6/14/08

USCIS

06-28-2008: submitted I-130

07-09-2008: Check Cashed

07-11-2008: NOA1

07-16-2008 submitted I-129

07-28-2008 NOA1 for I-129

08-01-2008 I-129 touched!

08-03-2008 I-129 touched again!

09-05-2008 I-130 touched.... please, please, please... oh, please let them approve it.

09-06-2008: NOA2!!!!!!!

NVC

10-03-2008: Package forwarded to NVC

11-01-2008: COA mailed

10-23-2008: Paid AOS Bill (online)

11-03-2008: Paid IV Bill (online)

11-06-2008: Mailed I-864 and DS230 packets

11-18-2008: Case Complete

02-26-2009: Medical Exam

03-10-2009: Interview

03-27-2009: POE- Miami

??-??-2009: Social Security #

??-??-2009: Green Card

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
We're just like you guys. For the ring issue he got a simple silver band and I got a simple white gold band. It feels good for now and when we can we'll upgrade.

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Filed: Timeline

Hey girl,

Some people have mix feelings about this (if he wears the ring to the interview). We did the same thing (exchanged rings) he has a band and I have an engagment ring. We had an engagement party, which I knew nothing about. He told me I was going to meet his mom, dad and brothers and when I got to their house he had the whole FAMILY--- they came from all of the ISLAND...some even flew in from Caymans. I was at a loss for words. I told him I wanted somthing PRIVATE and well, I couldn't even speak. Then he started to cry and that did me in. My cousins's fiance who got approved last year (wore his wedding band to his interview) and yes, they did question him about it...(DAMN EDIOT kept on playing with it while she was going through his paperwork)-- she was done with the questioning and was about to tell him he was approved. She asked him if they got married and he told her no, they're just engaged and comitted to each other....he also told the Officer that he keeps it on to remind him of what he has to look forward to and to remind himself that he has 90 days to get married once he's in the state. The lady smiled and said, well, that's honest, I guess. She asked him twice how his WIFE was doing in New York and he told answered, my fiancee is doing okay (the first time), but she will be better once I'm with her (the second time).

I told my man NOT to wear his band...I don't want them asking him any more QUESTIONS than he needs to answer. He better hope he can take it off when it comes time or he'll have to cut of his damn finger.

GIRLLLLLLLL I'm sorry, I thought you was doing K-1...my BAD.

Edited by Trelawny20853

********************************************************************************

....when it hurts to look back and you're scared to look ahead LOOK beside you and I'll be there.....

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore... and who always will.

So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

6002239865101_1_27247687.jpg (cost of the IMMIGRATION PROCESS)

tep aff a mi name

Timeline

I think for embassy purpose you should get wedding bands. We couldn't afford what i wanted either but i settled for less and i don't think i would change it now. the pastor told us that no matter how lonely we feel to look @ my wedding band and we will be right there for each other. this may will be 6 years since we've been married.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I think it probably doesn't matter at all. Lots of men don't wear wedding bands.

If USCIS is judging whether a marriage is valid based on a wedding band - well that would just be - strange.

As long as you have lots of primary evidence you should do fine.

My finace and I are thinking about not exchanging rings at our Jamaican wedding. Our plan has always been to have a small wedding (read inexpensive) in Jamaica for his family and have a second larger wedding once he is in the states. He is concerned that when he goes for his interview they may think less of the marriage because we didn't exchange rings--- we can't afford what we really want right now and I don't see the point in spending money on rings that we don't really love. Any thoughts?

A simple silver ring isn't going to look any different than white gold or get a gold plated ring. Keep the interviewers happy and it won't cost a lot.

First trip 01-17-07

Married 02-05-07

What Service Center was filed at? Nebraska transferred to California

Provide dates for the following:

I-130 sent (Mailed)..........................3-12-07

1st NOA (Receipt Notice) .................3-29-07

2nd NOA (Approval Notice) e-mail.....6-15-07

Bill for I-864 processing fee rcd and sent..7-24-07

I-864 Packet Received......................8-18-07

I-864 Mailed to NV............................8-20-07

Bill for DS-230 received....................8-29-07

Payment for DS-230 sent..................8-30-07

DS-230 Packet received..................10-25-07

DS-230 Packet sent to NVC..............10-29-07

Case Completed..............................11-16-07

Case Forwarded to Embassy.............11-30-07

Packet recieved from NVC................12-07-07

Medical complete...............................1-04-08

Leave for Manila................................1-19-08

Interview and approval......................1-22-08

Visa in Hand .....................................1-24-08

Arrived in USA...................................3-19-08

Timeline
Hey girl,

Some people have mix feelings about this (if he wears the ring to the interview). We did the same thing (exchanged rings) he has a band and I have an engagment ring. We had an engagement party, which I knew nothing about. He told me I was going to meet his mom, dad and brothers and when I got to their house he had the whole FAMILY--- they came from all of the ISLAND...some even flew in from Caymans. I was at a loss for words. I told him I wanted somthing PRIVATE and well, I couldn't even speak. Then he started to cry and that did me in. My cousins's fiance who got approved last year (wore his wedding band to his interview) and yes, they did question him about it...(DAMN EDIOT kept on playing with it while she was going through his paperwork)-- she was done with the questioning and was about to tell him he was approved. She asked him if they got married and he told her no, they're just engaged and comitted to each other....he also told the Officer that he keeps it on to remind him of what he has to look forward to and to remind himself that he has 90 days to get married once he's in the state. The lady smiled and said, well, that's honest, I guess. She asked him twice how his WIFE was doing in New York and he told answered, my fiancee is doing okay (the first time), but she will be better once I'm with her (the second time).

I told my man NOT to wear his band...I don't want them asking him any more QUESTIONS than he needs to answer. He better hope he can take it off when it comes time or he'll have to cut of his damn finger.

Lawny!!! Lawd, you have me dying with the long story and then come to the end you find out the original question wasn't for a K1, ha ha. Girl you're too funny.

I say just get a cheapo ring from Ebay. Like Omoba said, you can get one for $10 bucks! I think if you are married its good to have a ring for the interview and just in life in general. You don't realize just how much people look at that finger. Women look at it when eyeing a guy, guys look at in when trying to eye you so it just "helps" in lots of ways than just being a pretty rock on your finger, the symbolism is so much more. So just get something til you can afford something better. I find my ring just nice to look at and I play with it alot and it just reminds me of the time hubby and I spent on Ebay looking for it and when we exchanged them at our wedding. We actually got the permanent ones on Ebay but there are many temps on there too.

PUSH!: Pray Until Something Happens!

Timeline
I think for embassy purpose you should get wedding bands. We couldn't afford what i wanted either but i settled for less and i don't think i would change it now. the pastor told us that no matter how lonely we feel to look @ my wedding band and we will be right there for each other. this may will be 6 years since we've been married.

I completely agree. When I look at that ring, I am not as lonely and I just like how it looks. makes me feel married. Its wierd being married but never living with your husband, at least the ring give me some allusion to being a wife....at least til we are together.

PUSH!: Pray Until Something Happens!

Filed: Timeline
Hey girl,

Lawny!!! Lawd, you have me dying with the long story and then come to the end you find out the original question wasn't for a K1, ha ha. Girl you're too funny.

I say just get a cheapo ring from Ebay. Like Omoba said, you can get one for $10 bucks! I think if you are married its good to have a ring for the interview and just in life in general. You don't realize just how much people look at that finger. Women look at it when eyeing a guy, guys look at in when trying to eye you so it just "helps" in lots of ways than just being a pretty rock on your finger, the symbolism is so much more. So just get something til you can afford something better. I find my ring just nice to look at and I play with it alot and it just reminds me of the time hubby and I spent on Ebay looking for it and when we exchanged them at our wedding. We actually got the permanent ones on Ebay but there are many temps on there too.

MAWNIN My gurl,

That's what I get for drinking STONE GINGER WINE and logging on to VJ. Well, to tell to truth, we were asked the same question back in December (if he should wear the ring to the interview) and I FIRMLY said no (he's not married). Gaane to eat my BAMMI and fry fish (and I just finished exercising).... :dance:

********************************************************************************

....when it hurts to look back and you're scared to look ahead LOOK beside you and I'll be there.....

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore... and who always will.

So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

6002239865101_1_27247687.jpg (cost of the IMMIGRATION PROCESS)

tep aff a mi name

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline
I think it probably doesn't matter at all. Lots of men don't wear wedding bands.

If USCIS is judging whether a marriage is valid based on a wedding band - well that would just be - strange.

What about the USCIS isn't strange? And technically the USCIS won't be doing the interview, the DoS will be at the consulate. At least they are a bit less strange. :/

hehe ;)

- Justin and Masako

"The World is Open. Are You?"

Timeline

What about the USCIS isn't strange? And technically the USCIS won't be doing the interview, the DoS will be at the consulate. At least they are a bit less strange. :/

hehe ;)

:lol:

good point. Upon thinking about this, maybe having a ring is a good idea! There is a person in the Canada forum whose Husband had his interview today, he was sent away as he hadn't brought his work resume' with him.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Ok so reading all the post on rings. Our idea pretty much the same. Buy what we can afford right now god knows this girl here wants real nice. But hey simple gold bands is what we are doing. He wears a silver band right now and I have a engagment ring (not the ring) But to us its a awesome commitment and means to us we are married even though we have not said the proper I Do's. We exchanged rings before he left. I still don't know what to do when we get married. I will be reading here alot and finding out thats for sure.

Wishing for everyones others halfs to get here fast and safe :dancing:

Timeline

I'd say get rings if they are meaningful to you. There are plenty of people who, for one reason or another, do not wear jewelry. Don't let the idea of making a *right* impression during the interview dictate your life choices. A genuine relationship isn't marked by what is worn, but rather, by what is felt and expressed in daily words and deeds.

If you do choose rings, bear in mind they need not be expensive!

We got really simple and inexpensive gold bands from a store in the mall. I think they were $100 for both of them. We had intended on getting *nicer* rings when we could afford them, but now I like mine so much, because it reminds me of such a special and happy day, that I don't want to part with it.

Enjoy your wedding, it'll be the first day of many happy years. :)

CR1 application

I-130: 03/26/2007-07/02/2007 at NSC

NVC: 07/20/2007-11/08/2007

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 01/18/2008

(2 months' additional security checks)

Received Green Card: 05/12/2008

Removal of Conditions

I-751: 2/25/10-

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.